Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daisy's Doodle Garden!

Daisy's Doodle Garden!

Hi I'm Daisy!

Just a place to show off some of my art projects, fanart, cartoony style doodles, and even some songs! I love drawing, so this seemed like a good place to share what I do!

I'll start off right now by apologizing that my scanner is terrible, so I took the liberty of photographing my works. Some didn't fit in the scanner, and some just didn't scan properly. (Although the fanart entries were scanned.) I'll try to keep separate spoilerboxes for the different types of works, and I'll try to keep most of my art in the first post. When I have updates, I will post, and hopefully have a directing link back to this post!

Spoiler: BitF Fanart entries 

Spoiler: Cartoon Style Doodles 

Spoiler: Crossovers!!! 

Spoiler: Misc. Video Game Artwork 

Spoiler: Non-Video Game Artwork (AKA School Art Projects) 

Spoiler: Digital Doodles! 

Spoiler: Requests 

Spoiler: KinniesShadow on Youtube 

Constructive criticism is GREATLY appreciated, and I can only get better from here!
    Last edited by Hi I'm Daisy!; September 19th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Spoiler: Extended Sig! 

You don't like it?

Check out Cocoon Academy Voiced and follow us on our project of voicing BitF's longest comic!
    And visit my Art Thread, Daisy's Doodle Garden!

Re: Daisy's Doodle Garden!

HEY! I loved the school project one! Did you free draw those by hand?they were terrific! Also I thiught the Peach's bedroom one was really good!
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your signature and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says, 選f you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father in the gates of Heaven

Those were by hand, yes! (But man, before rulers were invented, artists must have been screwed!) And thank you for your compliments!

You don't like it?

Check out Cocoon Academy Voiced and follow us on our project of voicing BitF's longest comic!

Woah those are really good! Artists probably used like a stick or something. I really don't even se a ruler when I draw anyway. An np for the compliments! It's my pleasure!
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your signature and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says, 選f you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father in the gates of Heaven

I only use a ruler when I am doing detailed perspective, or to map out a face or something like that. All the cartoons and fanart are freehand. The portrait and bunny used a ruler to map out features, and most of the perspective room was aided by a ruler.

You don't like it?

Oh okay! I have never used that before. Usually just go freehand. I would like to see more of your work! Do you happen to like Adventure Time, Avatar the Last Airbender, or The Legend of Korra? If you do I would love to see some fanart!

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyHugger8D View Post
    Oh okay! I have never used that before. Usually just go freehand. I would like to see more of your work! Do you happen to like Adventure Time, Avatar the Last Airbender, or The Legend of Korra? If you do I would love to see some fanart!
    Even though my two best friends love Last Airbender [I can't even call it Avatar anymore because of the blue people!] the lack of cable or satellite TV at my house has prevented me from watching those shows much. [The best we get is Sonic X on Saturday mornings, when I'm still in bed!]

You don't like it?

Man I love those shows! I am currently watching adventure time!

Yeah, no one's watching me... TwilitKirby's Avatar

Wow that's a lot of doodles! I really like your style when it comes to doodling and your school art projects are pretty cool as well! I'd love to see more from you.
    It's kinda sad how the world can be a boring place.

May I present... my art thread! Stop by for a visit!

Check out my CYOA here!

"YOUR RESISTANCE IS USELESS!"
    -Palkia, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitKirby View Post
    Wow that's a lot of doodles! I really like your style when it comes to doodling and your school art projects are pretty cool as well! I'd love to see more from you.
    Thank you for the compliments! I might have to belt out some sort of fanart soon We'll see how it goes!

You don't like it?

Assist Trophy

Wow, I am seriously impressed by those school projects. That bunny is fantastic, and the human portrait is very well done. Great depth, detail, proportion, wonderful work. They aren't perfect, but I'm impressed. Really good work.

As for constructive criticism, I'd suggest working on your proportions and posing. Looking at your pictures of Peach, Zelda, and Samus in particular, the posing is rather wobbly(Samus' legs, for instance) and stiff, and the proportions are off in some places(Zelda's head). Now, this isn't an absolute consistent thing(the Daisy jumping into the air picture is better-done), but you don't seem to stray too far from simple posing. I'd suggest with stretching yourself a bit more and try out some new poses. Practicing expressions might also help with proportion(facially, at least). There are some really neat expression 'challenges' online that are perfect for that sort of thing.

One thing that helped me in my drawing a lot was looking at art I admired, and see what they did and why. I don't mean tutorials, I mean finished pieces. Take a look at that picture you just love, and see how they did something you might be having trouble with(fingers were the problem for me, and this practice defined how I draw fingers to this day). Even works for poses(running is particularly hard when starting out, and seeing how others draw it can help). Worked for me!

Keep at it, though! Some roughness with your cartoony work, but you show a lot of potential. As you said yourself, you can only get better!
    Last edited by Cyphir; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

So from glancing at your art, I can see a few things that would require some improvement. Let's start with a few things.

First off, your imagehosting - I'm not sure hwo much you like freewebs, but there's other free hosting out there if you're having problems with it. I'm aware that people aren't particularly fond of that site for hosting purposes. Alternatives for imagehosts would include tinypic or imgur, which are both sites that don't require an account to post pictures.
    As I look at your pictures again for another review, it seems some of them aren't even popping up anymore - which can be an issue.

This is also related to the presentation of the topic, since as I recall, imgur and tinypic both allow for thumbnails to be displayed, which are much smaller and easier to identify with instead of large pictures that force you to have spoilerboxes to view. Images in spoilerboxes, contrary to popular opinion(it seems), still load even if the user can't see them, and this totally kills slower connections. It's nice to have an image in clickable thumbnails like below.

If you don't know how to do this, click "Reply with quote" and see how I laid this out

But, regardless. Let's move onto the art.

My first impression, which mainly applies to both the Art Contest entries and the "Cartoon-Style Doodles", is that I'm noticing your characters are very, very thin. In other words, I'd have to describe them as anorexic, and I'm not sure if this is part of your art style or what. For the sake of example, let's bring up Zelda from one of your doodles and with Zelda from the official art for Twilight Princess, since this doodle of her seems to be emulating that style.

Including the Brawl version as well since it's the same design style

Look at Zelda's build in the other pictures. Compared to yours, there's not much "substance" to her, she's so thin in comparison - look around her hips and her arms, for instance. Zelda's arms are thicker, and so is her waist. I suppose another thing that sticks out to me in that regard is the lack of proportion(in regard to body/torso size in relation to head/neck) but I'm not sure if you were going for full realism or not

I realize that artists are allowed some artistic freedom here and there, but seeing her being so thin is really something that sticks out. A smaller criticism I can see is how the hem of her dress forms a perfectly straight line. Unless the bottom of her dress forms a box, dresses don't usually work like that.

The point about why I bring this up? This is consistent with many of your pictures.
    - Peach's dress
    - Daisy's skirt in here, not to mention the thin-ness of both characters

...and then the other pictures aren't loading. I'm sensing a bit of a problem here with the hosting, probably a good reason to check it out.

Now admittedly, the main issue I have in your characters is their build(how they seem to all be so thin, and a lot of this is present in the fan-art), and how clothes on them seem so... stiff. The heads look fine enough, the bodies are the part the seem to need some work.

Looking at the rest of your stuff...

I'm fairly impressed with some of your school projects - though in the case of "Peach's Room" I didn't even notice Peach at first, she blended in so well with the bed at first. The same issue, however, with how thin the characters get is there - mainly in regards to her upper torso and arms - but isn't as apparent with the other works that I pointed out. Where are her feet, though?

With the pot, I can see you tried to emulate Paper Mario's art style(or at least something like it) and to a pretty good effect. I like it, can't really say anything else about it.

As for your other projects I can see that you've got a good grasp on doing faces(and rabbits), and I have to ask - do you often do your art with reference pictures? It feels like you've had reference pictures on hand especially for the rabbit and Natalie Portman, so I'm wondering if this is affecting your art at all.

One more thing: your watercolor mountains... was there a reason why the reflection in the water was different than the picture up top? I'm not sure how exact you wanted it to be, but the first thing that really sticks out is the center mountain peak not only being at a different height, but also a different color, followed by a few inconsistencies with the trees.

I'll see if I can check out the youtube channel later.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Wow. You guys are awesome!

I'll start with Cyphir:
    I've always liked drawing head shots more than whole body shots, partly because I can't get the poses to look natural. (Although I have been practicing drawing running for a while, and it is looking better than some of these pictures.) But just poses in general I will look into, trying to get some inspiration! Thanks!

And now on to Eltrotraw:
    Thanks for the links to those image-hosting sites! I didn't have an account on a fancy site, so I resorted to my brother's old freewebs site. I'll try to get my images on one of those sites when I get the chance.

As for the tininess of my characters...I've been drawing (or rather cartooning) like that since I was little. Like I said before, I always preferred head shots, because I hated posing, I couldn't draw bodies/arms/legs/feet/etc., and I was better at drawing heads. And my childhood hero was Violet from The Incredibles. All my drawings kinda look like her. I've looked into full-body proportions a bit, but I never liked drawing with them. The head of a regularly sized person seemed so small compared to my abnormally huge heads, that I felt like I couldn't get enough expression and detail into them. I've always stuck with the big head and tiny body when I have been doodling and cartoon making because it was easier, but I am full aware that body proportions are all wrong. (Yeesh, but I didn't realize how off they were until you pointed that out. Man, I drew Zelda skinny!)

On a different note, I can't draw clothing. I've tried, practiced even, but to no avail. I'm taking drawing class next year in school (this year was a Fundamentals class, hence the painting and pottery) and we will learn more about drawing a human figure (with clothes on, obviously). I think my art teacher will be able to show me some techniques. I'll work on that.

On my perspective room, I actually didn't want to have to worry about her legs. (She actually has a couple different kinds-normal legs when she's wearing sports outfits, and thin legs when she's wearing her dress, the only time I've seen those was in the Mario Party series.) I'm not good at drawing shoes either, so rather than worrying about her feet, I just omitted them.

The watercolor mountains was my first crack at painting with watercolors, and I realized the inconsistency of the paint (either that or my inability to keep the hue consistent.) I probably should have taken a bit more time mapping out the mountains and trees, hence the inconsistency there. But art teachers have the most ridiculous deadlines, so I had to sacrifice somewhere to get the project done on time. Hopefully, if I ever try water colors again, I won't be restricted by time. Although I liked acrylics better, so if I did another painting, I might do one of those.

For my school drawings, I did use reference pictures (golly, that helped a lot!) Most of my doodles were drawn off a whim, with no picture except the one in my brain, except for the Zelda one, because I wanted to put some of those details in the dress. I used reference pictures in some of my fanart, but not all of it. I can see that the quality of my work goes up when I use reference pictures, but then again, most of the doodles were all in fun, with actual artistic quality not in the question at the time of drawing. (Take the full body shots of Daisy, Peach, and Rosalina: I drew those at a Manga "gathering," when I was supposed to be drawing actual Manga. I drew cartoons instead.)

I really appreciate all your comments/criticisms! I'll definitely look into full body shots to help me with arms/legs and such. I don't know if the big heads will go though...I always liked drawing with big heads! We'll see! Thank you for taking the time to critique my work! (I'll try to get on that new host site as soon as I can, but I'm busy today, it will have to be later.)

You don't like it?

Hey, Hi I'm Daisy! I'm glad you decided to share your art!

You have some great stuff here, and I love your attitude of openness to improvement. In my opinion, that's a tool as important to an artist as pencil and paper.

Since you seem to be so open to criticism, I'd be happy to offer what I can. When it comes to simply sketching characters, I have a bit of experience, and that seems to largely be your avenue as well. I sympathize with your attraction to drawing faces and heads, as that's largely where I started my practice, and it certainly is rewarding when you begin to find satisfaction with what you're drawing.

Concerning faces, your Natalie Portman school project looks excellent. The proportions are very good, and the shading works very well. I'm seriously impressed with the hair as well. The bunny is very cute, I might add!

Your cartoon sketches are understandably weaker, but you really have a pretty solid foundation. When it comes to drawing heads, I'm a little puzzled at the two vastly different ways you use, between the very round shape you tend to use with your Daisy pictures and the very triangular shape you use for the female faces in the cartoon sketches section. Out of curiosity, which have you been using more recently? I think the rounder shape looks much better, as the the more triangular faces tend to be considerably too narrow. That said, the reality of the jawline is also important. Perhaps a few prectice sketches using reference would help you find a happy medium?

As for bodies, I agree with Eltrotraw that the examples in the cartoon sketches section are too skinny, but the examples in your other art, such as the contest entries, look quite good. All things considered, my biggest suggestion at this point would be to narrow down the necks a little, especially with the female characters, and to use reference to continue to improve overall proportion.

All told, I really like what you have! i enjoyed your BitF fan comics quite a bit, as creepy as Waluigi managed to be. I also really like the role reversal pictures.

Keep it up, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!
    For those interested in Nintendo fan art, feel free to check out my art thread, The Overdue.

I love how each one of you sees different things to comment on in my art! THIS IS GREAT!

The differences between the rounder and more triangular faces are actually the atmosphere where I drew them. The more triangular faces I drew at a Manga drawing lesson, and we were encouraged to use the more pointy style for feminine figures. The rounder style (which I prefer using) is how I usually draw figures in my free time.

Another difference between all my pieces, really, is the time took to draw each one. The cartoon sketches were mostly day projects. The fanart were longer, ranging from one day (the Toad one) to a couple of weeks (for the Waluigi comic strip). The school projects were usually 2 or 3 week projects, but those were working for a solid 45 minutes for 5 days of the week. Especially in the case of the perspective room, I spent even more time on that working at home. (And like I said earlier, the use of reference images helped a lot.)

So far, what I am taking from this, is to work on the bodily proportioning and posing, to use reference pictures when I can, and find an art style that I like to hone my skills on.

Thank you so much for your input!!!

You don't like it?

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Dat April contest. That was so funny, and it was a great backstory, too. And was that Ike in one of the panels with Samus? He was funny, and one of my favorite characters of all time. And I also have trouble with proportions (Not saying that you have, like, big problems with it or anything), especially with fingers. Anyway, really great art here, I really like it!

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    And was that Ike in one of the panels with Samus?
    That was supposed to be a younger Snake. (The messy hair did absolutely nothing to help ) Now that I look at it again, it DOES kind of look like Ike! And proportioning seems to be the biggest critique out of everybody, so I'll definitely look into that before creating a new piece! Thanks for your input!

You don't like it?

UPDATE!

Itsameluigi1290 requested that I drew Sonic, so here he is!

I also made a separate spoilerbox in the original post for requests. Enjoy!

You don't like it?

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I'm Daisy! View Post
    UPDATE!

Itsameluigi1290 requested that I drew Sonic, so here he is!

I also made a separate spoilerbox in the original post for requests. Enjoy!
    Heck yes. Just, heck, yes. I love it, WAY better than the one I drew (Which I'll show you in a VM). Thanks for drawing that for me!

I saw your Mario pots and they are amazing! I WANT ONE NOW! Except mine most likely would be Kirby themed. Also I looked over your cartoon style doodle again. In some of your pictures you drew their lips rather small. Maybe making them bigger would help. You don't have to do it if you don't want to though. Your art looks fine the way it is now! Again with the pots though! Not only did you paint it wonderfully, but you shaped the pot well too! I have tried making pots before and man it was hard and they didn't even compare to how good yours is!

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyHugger8D View Post
    I saw your Mario pots and they are amazing! I WANT ONE NOW! Except mine most likely would be Kirby themed. Also I looked over your cartoon style doodle again. In some of your pictures you drew their lips rather small. Maybe making them bigger would help. You don't have to do it if you don't want to though. Your art looks fine the way it is now! Again with the pots though! Not only did you paint it wonderfully, but you shaped the pot well too! I have tried making pots before and man it was hard and they didn't even compare to how good yours is!
    My art teacher reshaped my pot. Apparently football shaped pots are not allowed! The lips were made intentionally small, but they would look more realistic if I made them larger. I was trying a different style.

UPDATE: I will be adding the month and year I created these works. Check up at the first post!

You don't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi I'm Daisy! View Post
    My art teacher reshaped my pot. Apparently football shaped pots are not allowed! The lips were made intentionally small, but they would look more realistic if I made them larger. I was trying a different style.

UPDATE: I will be adding the month and year I created these works. Check up at the first post!
    Still the pot turned out wonderfully! Even though she helped you shape the pot the you painted it quite well. Keep the lips small if you want more cartoony, and make them bigger if you want them more realistic. They are both two exceptable styles in drawing. It just depends on what you are going for. I get why you made them small in your drawings.

Assist Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by Nothin' much just looking at the art and--
    (This one's kind of blurry...sorry about that.) This is a portrait of Natalie Portman that I did for a school art project. September 2012.

Another art project. This one is (obviously?) a rabbit. October 2012.

This is a watercolor painting of a mountain being reflected in a lake, showing the identical mountain. November 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOA WHAT IS THAT
    September 2012. October 2012. November 2012.
    Shenanigans. What is this time-travel trickery?! No matter, the dimension police shall be here shortly. I hope you have a good explanation, young lady.

By the way, didn't mention it before, but I love the Mario pot you did. Creative, and very neat. The recent Sonic picture still has some stiff posing(the legs, namely), but the facial details and expression are solid. Particularly the eyes, good job on those!

(This one's kind of blurry...sorry about that.) This is a portrait of Natalie Portman that I did for a school art project. September 2011.
    Another art project. This one is (obviously?) a rabbit. October 2011.
    This is a watercolor painting of a mountain being reflected in a lake, showing the identical mountain. November 2011.
    Fail quoting fails!

I am guilty of those time travel issues, your majesty. THROW ME IN THE SLAMMER!
    But it is fixed now.

I knew that Sonic ran weird, but I guessed where to pose the legs. (Better than that Samus picture last year ) Still something I'm working on, but I'm improving

You don't like it?

Well, it's been a while since the last update. I've been busy working at a camp...that had a craft shop! I'll be posting some miscellaneous craft projects in the near future.

For now, I have successfully uploaded all of my images to imgur! Most of the pictures are in clickable thumbnails (thank you Eltrotraw!) I also made a short parody for the BitF Community Fanart Contest in July.

Kirby the Pink Puffball Thing!

It can also be found in the spoilerbox at the first post.

You don't like it?

Thread Information