Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Forum Suggestion] Unicode support

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

[Forum Suggestion] Unicode support

Hello,

When I input Unicode-supported characters, they show up as question marks. Suppose I want to discuss languages that do not use the Latin alphabet. Most games covered here are from Japan, which we know does not primarily use the Latin alphabet. Is it possible to have extended Unicode support for this forum?

The Kirbinator of Pop Star
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Re: [Forum Suggestion] Unicode support

This forums is mostly English-speaking, so why would the ability to type in different scripts be necessary? Yes, we talk about Japanese games, but it's easier for everybody to type the translated names instead of people having to ask what the game's name means because they can't read Japanese.

For the Japanese boxart, do we have to write Hoshi no Kaabii instead of the usual Japanese script here? Another problem is that without Unicode, it would be hard to do a proper transliteration as well, resorting to having to use doubled vowels.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Why do you need to refer to it by the Japanese name so badly?

This appears to be the main reason you want Unicode here, but there's no overwhelming demand or need to want unicode just for this purpose alone.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Not to mention the fact that an incredibly small number of people will even know what the Japanese characters even mean. There's really no point to this.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

I don't see why we'd need to allow actual japanese characters to display. No one would know what it means.

The only foreign language characters I could see being useful are things like accented characters, but I think that the forum supports those.

For example: Pokémon
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Hmm, didn't the forum support Unicode before?
    Or something related to it? I remember some smileys that used Unicode symbols before and now they don't work now...

(????)?*:???

^ Something like that... now only squares appear... sometimes? I've seen such cases...
    GRANTED, its not a big deal, like the others have said, so I see no real need for it.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

there are certain emotes that use foreign characters, such as;
    ?_?
    (????)?????
    (?°?°)??? ???
    ??? ?(??_?)?
    (????)? ?(????)

while they are not necessary, It would be quite nice to use them
    Spoiler: Quotes 

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

You're also unable to use upside-down or zalgo-ized letters.
    ???d??x? u? s? s???
    M???????????o????????????????????e?????????? ???????????????????????x?????????????a???????m???? ?????????p??????????????l??????????????e?????????? ??????s??????????.????????????
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Self-Styled Hero

The Unicode support dropped with one of the site upgrades somewhere along the line (I think the one that made the "Latest Topics" box on the front page look prettier or shortly after that). All I remember doing with it was adding musical notes and hearts to some of my conversations. I think the site is totally liveable without it, but if it turned out to be easy to put back in and wasn't hard on the server or anything, it'd be a neat little add-on.

Unicode would also be useful for many forum games as well, especially with games involving foreign languages and unusual text-based emoticons.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    Unicode would also be useful for many forum games as well, especially with games involving foreign languages and unusual text-based emoticons.
    Which games are those?

From what I'm getting here, it'd be nice, but not really necessary. I don't see it as a necessary change to really do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gold View Post
    The Unicode support dropped with one of the site upgrades somewhere along the line (I think the one that made the "Latest Topics" box on the front page look prettier or shortly after that). All I remember doing with it was adding musical notes and hearts to some of my conversations. I think the site is totally liveable without it, but if it turned out to be easy to put back in and wasn't hard on the server or anything, it'd be a neat little add-on.
    You're right, and when I first saw that, I thought that we dropped the support again because I recall a while back that several symbols(™ · §) were displaying as question boxes.

Like?

You're listing examples without actually listing examples here. This seems more for the sake of convenience and more for the sake of having it, there's no real drive to really reactivate it at the moment.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

I support this unpopular notion.

I think it would be cool to be able to put a sweet chinese sentence in my signature.

I think he ment future games, i would start one.
    Last edited by Banjo(Auz); February 21st, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Spoiler: [SEIZURE WARNING?] ==> 

Yes, I meant forum games that are made in the future.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

What forum games would utilize foreign characters or rarely used emoticons? The forum games now do not rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Auz View Post
    I think he ment future games, i would start one.
    Like...?

You're not answering the question here.

I just realized that my "title" was stupid since it's april now Meta-Mind's Avatar

If you want to make a future forum game so much, then just take the letters, paste them into an image editor, and upload the image to your post.

If you're willing to do that for a bit, then perhaps you'll have a reason to get Unicode support.

Blinking only serves to remind us of the past Pikanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Mind View Post
    If you want to make a future forum game so much, then just take the letters, paste them into an image editor, and upload the image to your post.

If you're willing to do that for a bit, then perhaps you'll have a reason to get Unicode support.

Credit to Meta-Mind here for a simple solution.

I find that the ability to use Unicode would be nice to even have as an option for the possibility of any future forum game or future/past/present Japanese, etc. Even if it's used only on the special occasion, it's nice to even have that route to choose.

Although, I can't say much. My computer crapped out on the use of special characters and will no longer recognize any Japanese characters. Time for a new computer I guess (though I have other reasons for a new lappy).
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: 999 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: VLR 
    Spoiler: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma 

This signature changes with each refresh

We also need the commonly used greek letters like lowercase pi and uppercase delta. neither is currently supported.
    In addition, we need more mathematical operators than -+=<> I mean we could use x or * for multiplication and / for division but how are we to do "is approximately equal to" and "is not equal to"?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJedi224 View Post
    We also need the commonly used greek letters like lowercase pi and uppercase delta. neither is currently supported.
    In addition, we need more mathematical operators than -+=<> I mean we could use x or * for multiplication and / for division but how are we to do "is approximately equal to" and "is not equal to"?
    We need Greek letters? I don't think I've seen anyone ever have a need for them. We're not a math-lover's forums.

~=, and =/=, respectively.

...unless this is a ridiculously hard thing to add to the forum, I feel that the question should not be "why", but rather "why not".

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    ...unless this is a ridiculously hard thing to add to the forum, I feel that the question should not be "why", but rather "why not".
    I'd say there's basically no need for it, for one. Any amount of effort that'd be put into implementing Unicode character sets would be counterintuitive if it's more work than is worth the use that will it will receive.

Honestly, maybe it'd be nice to be able to type out the correct form of =/= (even though != is the best and everyone knows it) but why do we need it when the shorthand forms are more accessible anyway? I'd agree with you here except that I haven't read a compelling argument for implementing this in the thread yet, it's all a matter of "well using the Japanese characters for the title of (whatever) would be more correct" which is mostly pedantic anyway.

If the forum could actually be improved by implementing these symbols and characters, I'm all for it. But it doesn't really seem like it'd be worth the trouble. :V
    and the things that keep us apart
    keep me alive

and the fears that keep me alive
    keep me alone

Back in #000000 Someguyfromcrowd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    It's called feature creep and it results in the slowdown of websites. Unless there is a pressing need (or widespread support) for a feature, it shouldn't really be added. However, I would enjoy being able to give looks of disapproval
    As stable as a six-membered alkyne ring and as predictable as an unsynchronized parallel cluster

Most forums, including those powered by vBulletin, have Unicode support and they did not suffer a slowdown of any type.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

Thread Information