Thread: Halo: Story of the Freelancers

The gates to a new world lie within Pikanator's Avatar

Halo: Story of the Freelancers

Halo: Story of the Freelancers

Story:

Back around the late 23rd century, as the Human Race was starting to visit other planets, a frantic thought came into the minds of the world's leading military services, the UNSC (United Nations Space Command): What would happen if a maleficent Alien Race was found? The Human Race would be unprepared if Aliens, more advanced than Humans, attacked while Humans were out exploring the Universe. Several programs were created around this time so that Humans would have a fall-back plan if normal warfare failed to work. One of these such programs was Project ORION, later renamed SPARTAN, which took volunteers from all aspects of the military and augmented them, making them faster, stronger, smarter, wiser. But, the amount of flaws in the program outweighed the benefits. So, the project was scrapped and rethought. Much later, in 2517, the famous program SPARTAN-II was created. This new program had many successes, including the creation of their most famous Spartan, John-117. Just like its predecessor, SPARTAN-II managed to create super-soldiers out of regular men, using a combination of science and hard work. But this RP is not centered around Master Chief, or Project SPARTAN. This RP centers around the second fail-safe option for Earth and the UNSC.

Welcome to Project Freelancer.

The Second Most Successful fail-safe option for Humans was Project Freelancer. Project Freelancer had it's similarities to the SPARTAN Program and it's differences. Both programs gave their volunteer soldiers special abilities, but while the special abilities in the SPARTAN Program included receiving Augmentation Enhancements/Procedures and the MJOLNIR Armors to improve reflexes, speed, strength, durability, and agility, the special abilities in Project Freelancer remained at Armor Enhancements and AI Units. Yes, I said AI Units.

Early on, Project Freelancer was able to obtain an AI Unit for their studies. After splitting the AI several times, a fragment of the AI was given to almost every soldier in the program, collectively called the Freelancers. The AI Units could help the soldiers by running through stats, activating the soldier's Armor Enhancement, or even talking to the soldier if he or she got lonely. Along with the AI Unit came an Armor Enhancement, such as super speed or cloaking.

Now, not every soldier was given an AI Unit or an Armor Enhancement. Most of the soldiers without an AI went insane; trying to use the Armor Enhancement without the AI takes the only the strongest of minds to work. Those with weaker minds perished either mentally or physically, ie. their brain gave out. There were some soldiers who were given two AI Units. A couple of that minority survived fine, while others couldn't take the mental stress of two AIs in their head. The soldiers who proved capable of surviving with two AIs in their head were given an extra Armor Enhancement, bringing their Armor Enhancement count to a grand total of two. For the most part, the soldiers were given one AI and one ability. These soldiers ended up fine. Most of them.

Regardless of the mental state of the few soldiers, the majority of the soldiers turned out stronger, faster, and smarter then their normal human counterparts. The soldiers in Project Freelancer operate under one man, known only as The Director. Each of the soldiers are required to convene when the Director gives them a new task. The purpose of these tasks is to take the soldiers to the extreme and see what they can handle, mainly to make the Project better in the future. When the Freelancers are not doing a task for the Director, they are out in one of many training facilities around Earth, specifically designed to emulate a true field of battle. To organize these new soldiers, each of them was given a code name referring to a state in the US, where the project was conceived (through not currently held).

To confirm the fears of the UNSC and the rest of the world, Aliens were found. Because the Aliens all seemed to be made of of different races, though working together for unknown reasons, they were called the Covenant. The Covenant were more technologically advanced, as feared, driving the stakes higher for the few fail-safes working to be, well, fail-safes.

In the words of the Director, "It is the goal of this project to train our knowledge of the AI Unit so that we can use it effectively against our enemies out there. The future of all military operations lays in these soldiers ... [And] This Project. We will not fail our task ... Under any circumstance."

~~~

Welcome to the RP, Project Freelancer. As a recap, Humans are frightened by the idea of annihilation from an Alien Race more technologically advanced then they are. Soldiers from every field of the military have been trained to try to prevent this from ever happening.

Each member who wishes to join this Role Play will be required to submit the following to me:

Name:
    (Character's Name)
    Codename: (Any State Name from the US. Remember to specify if you choose a state that has a North or a South (or a West). Washington DC does not count as a state. The State of Florida can not be chosen because of Plot reasons)
    Age: (Character's Age. Remember army-joining age requirements)
    Character Description: (What does your character look like?)
    Armor Color: (Any combination of colors will work, but keep it relatively simple please. Also, please state what color is predominate just for a better visual affect)
    Character Backstory: (Where he or she is from, what he or she likes to do, why he or she joined the army, etc. Make sure to say why he or she volunteered for this Project)
    Special Skill: (What does your character do best? Remember the day and age of this RP)
    AI: (Leave blank as I will be providing this)
    Armor Enhancement: (Leave blank as I will be providing this)

RPers are limited to only one Freelancer.

If you would like to partner up with someone else for a brother-sister/sister-sister/brother-brother combo, check with me first. Not all partnering requests will be granted.

Each soldier will be equipped with a standard-issue precision pistol, a tactical knife, and two frag grenades. Weapons can be exchanged at appropriate times, though make sure you say that you swap out your weapon. A secondary weapon will be provided after the first stage of the RP.

Armor Enhancements and AI Units will be administered by The Director in the following manner:

AI Units: The AI Units all originated from one main AI, let's call it the Alpha Unit. The Alpha Unit was then split into separate units through intense situational training. These units, or pieces from the Alpha, are named down through the Greek Alphabet continuing with Beta, Gamma, and so on. Each of these 'fragments' of the Alpha AI contain a personality trait from the Alpha AI. For example, AI Unit Sigma is the Creativity Trait from the Alpha AI. AI Units will be administered to almost every player. The players who do not receive an AI Unit will be given additional background information explaining why their Freelancer did not receive the AI. The reason will either be because their testing did not involve an AI Unit, or that their AI Unit was destroyed, removed, etc. AI Units will be given in Alphabetical order, starting with Beta. The Alpha AI will not be given to anyone as it will serve mainly for plot purposes. Having an AI Unit is like have a conscious with you constantly (All you Halo fans, think of Cortana on this one). The AI Units can either talk to you in your head, or manifest in some semi-transparent form, similar to a hologram. When they are in this hologram state, others can hear and see them. More information can be provided as needed. But, as all pieces of technology go, magnets will damage the AIs ... Most likely permanently. Same goes for an EMP charge.
    You will be controlling your own AI. When the AIs are given out, you will be in control of your AI Unit. Think of the AI as your own second characters always with you, but only with a certain personality.

Armor Enhancements: These can range anywhere from invisibility to super speed. To prevent god-modding of the Enhancements, these Engancements run for a limited amount of time (in-game time of course). The only exception is the enhancement of Strength. If a player receives Strength, their character will be abnormally strong all of the time. A full list of abilities can be found further down.

The AI and the Armor Enhancement you receive will be based entirely on the character submission you send me. If you have a special request as to what AI Unit and/or Armor Enhancement you receive, just ask. This is good practice for learning the Greek Alphabet for all those who care. Not all requests will be granted. Remember; no two players will get the same AI or Armor Enhancement. The only possible exception is if you have a reserved sibling combo with someone else. There are no guarantees that you and your sister/brother will get the same Enhancement, but it's possible.

Just a note to all those participating or thinking about participating:
    AIs and Armor Enhancements will not be given out until after the initial training session. If your character is in the training session, he or she will be a normal soldier. The Director will speak to everyone after the training session and dole out the AIs and the Enhancements before telling everyone about the First Mission.

~~~

Plot:
    Halo: Story of the Freelancers will take place in the Halo Universe. While this RP takes place in the Halo Universe, this RP does not and will not follow the plot of any Halo Game with the exception of Mission II.
    This RP will have an easy plot system. Plots will come in one at a time, created by myself, and will relate to the Director's plans for the Project.
    RPers will start in one of two places:
    Location A: About ready to go into the training arena against each other (team training for strengths and weaknesses)
    Location B: Watching the soldiers in training from a control room above the arena

The soldiers not in training are to be assumed already trained and just watching the new recruits for fun.

After RPers are done with the training phase (some RPers will have already finished with their training), then everyone will get together to be debriefed by the Director on their first Mission. Everyone will be involved with Mission I. The important missions will revolve around the Director and the Freelancer Program. Info on the Missions will sometimes be sketchy, but 100% loyalty is expected from the Freelancers.

Just a note, there will be a list of top Freelancers. Freelancers at the top of the list are liked more by The Director. Just saying.

As GM of this RP, I will make sure missions stay right on track by controlling The Director and an experienced Freelancer.

~~~

Rules:
    All forum and Arena rules apply, as expected. The one rule I have to emphasize is Arena Rule 1: No Godmodding. With the way this RP is set up, it can be very tempting to God-mod with the Armor Enhancements given to you. Just remember that the Armor Enhancements only last for a short time unless noted otherwise. And don't just use your Enhancement willy-nilly just for the lulz; those things are very expensive to make, let alone repair after extensive, albeit idiotic, use.

~~~

AI List:
    Alpha - Original. Will not be given to any player.
    Beta
    Gamma
    Delta
    Epsilon
    Zeta
    Eta
    Theta
    Iota
    Cappa
    Lambda
    Mu
    Nu
    Xi
    Omicron
    Pi
    Rho
    Sigma
    Tau
    Upsilon
    Phi
    Chi
    Psi
    Omega

~~~

Armor Enhancement List:
    Speed - A burst of speed makes you move as fast as a speeding vehicle. However, this boost of energy makes you tired and lethargic after extensive use.
    Strength - Makes you abnormally strong. This Enhancement will always be active in your system if given to you. The only Enhancements that can be given alongside another Enhancement.
    Invisibility - Makes you completely invisible. Stays active until you are attacked or you attack.
    Chameleon - Turns your armor color the same as your environment, though this only works when you are against an object, ie. walls. Also enables you to take on the color or another soldier's armor. Stays active until you attack or are attacked.
    Time Freeze - Allows you to freeze time momentarily to get yourself out of trouble.
    Precognizance - Allows you to see the near future. Nausea follows the use of this Enhancement.
    Physical Augmentation - Makes you slightly faster, stronger, more flexible, etc. You feel lethargic after the using this Enhancement.
    Mental Augmentation - Makes your mind work a little faster, making your wits sharper and your thought process smarter. An intense dizziness follows the use of this Enhancement.
    Super Jump - Allows your jumps to be gigantic. Your legs fall asleep when this Enhancement is used repeatedly.
    Hover - Your armor is equipped with small thrusters, allowing you to fly around for a short amount of time.
    Radio Jam - Your armor jams the communications of nearby communication systems, including your own.
    Invulnerability - Makes you indestructible and unable to be harmed for a short period of time. Your armor locks up when this is used.
    Delta's Knowledge Database - Whoever is given the AI Unit Delta is given the world's largest database of information. Can be used at any time for as long as you want. Others may also access this Database if AI Delta lets them.
    Energy Transducer - All energy directed towards you can be absorbed and later released. This includes the energy of speeding projectiles such as bullets.
    EMP (ElectroMagnet Pulse) - Allows you to generate an EMP from your body, disabling and/or destroying all motorized or otherwise electronic devices. While this EMP has a limited range, it can be deadly in certain situations. Be careful how you use this ...
    Self-Healing - Can not bring you back from death and will not set your broken bones, only heal them.
    Dome Shield - Creates a shield around your area that is very strong. It repels projectiles; bullets, missiles, pieces of alien flesh. Only lasts a short time and will break if repeatedly shot by enemy or friendly fire.
    Magnetism - Turns your armor into a large magnet. Try not to use this on a vehicle or next to a computer.
    Electric Output - Allows you to discharge electricity from your armor's gloves.
    Heat Output - Allows you to superheat your armor's gloves to molten temperatures.
    Freeze Output - Allows you to chill you armor's gloves to subzero temperatures.
    Disintegration Shield - Creates a disintegration shield wherever you direct the Enhancement. Try not set it under yourself.

~~~

Pikanator:
    Spoiler: The Director 
    Spoiler: Nevada 

Chaos Kiwi
    Spoiler: New Jersey 

SSBBrawler
    Spoiler: Kansas 

Hobo
    Spoiler: Hawaii 

Zelos Wilder
    Spoiler: Michigan 

ARC Trooper CX-7529
    Spoiler: Arizona 

Epic Hippie
    Spoiler: Maine 
    Last edited by Pikanator; January 4th, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Spoiler: 999 

Re: Halo: Story of the Freelancers

This is up? Hooray!

*Puts cigar in mouth*
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    *Cue A-team music.*

Hope this gets approved soon

A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar

I will join when this start, but I'm running a Halo CYOA of my own, so I may be busy. Look interesting, I'll be in touch.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Oh hey this actually looks really well thought out. I guess I don't even have much to say.

Although I'm not very certain on the setting, due to inexperience with Halo, and I think explaining a little on aliens and things like that could be helpful in pulling even people who are unfamiliar in. RPs themed around franchises aren't always so accessible, but I see there's at least a few people who already are interested.

Pretty basic story format otherwise and I'm imagining you may have something else thought up other than just these missions, but either way it's fine.

So looks fine to me! Aaand, uh, I think I'll let you go make the topic whenever you want if Curus gives the approval, rather than wait for a third that won't come. Unless we decide on the new one soon.

Approvals: 1/3-ish

I might have to ask some questions every now and again since I know very little of Halo.

Name: Craig T. Smith
    Codename: Kansas
    Character Description: Wiry light brown hair that sticks in several directions. Or rather, it would, but the oil stains that cover his body keeps most of it down aside from a few areas. He has light blue eyes that sparkle with mirth and almost always has a warm smile on his face.
    He's fairly tall, about 6' 3" and is muscular. He's fairly pale-skinned.
    Armor Color: Purple, with black joints and shoulders.
    Character Backstory: An engineer who can repair all sorts of different mechanical devices. He's also a bit of an inventor, able to program basic robots. He joined the project to put his skills to good use to defend humanity. However, he's not much of a fighter, so he tends to hide whenever an invasion starts inside whatever base he's inside.
    Special Skill: Working with anything mechanical.
    AI: *all yours, Pikanator*
    Armor Enhancement: *all yours, Pikanator*

"Every man for himself" - Jesus Hobo's Avatar

Sure, why not?

Name: Chipo Tariro

Codename: Hawaii

Character Description: Tall, muscled and broad shouldered. Been mistaken for a man on more than one occasion. Keeps her brunette hair buzz cut short. Dark brown eyes and skin.

Armor Color:
    Primary: dark green
    secondary: Brown

Character Back-story: Daughter of a Zimbabwean businessman. She earned top marks in school, but despite her parents urging her to go into the family business she joined the UNSC as a pilot. Over her sixteen years of service she'd piloted nearly every ship they had; Shortsword, Sparrohawk, Vulture, Falcon, Pelican, Albatross, Hornet, and so on and so forth. However, she has now quit the UNSC and joined up with Project Freelancer, though she gave no reason.

Special Skill: Pilot (if it's got wings... she can fly it.)

AI:
    Armor Enhancement:
    Last edited by Hobo; November 29th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

I like this. A lot, actually. I'll edit with a character app, I think I'll recycle a Metroid-based marine character I made a long time ago.

Name: James Exeter
    Codename: Michigan
    Character Description: 5'9" without armor, James has a lean body weighing 140 lbs. He has shortish auburn hair, with contrasting violet eyes and a peachy complexion. His nose and jaw are sharp, but his sullen expressions don't bring the angles to life. His eye sockets are a bit dark, and his lips are pale.
    Armor Color: Steel Blue primarily, with Silver detail
    Character Backstory: James had almost no family growing up, only the guidance of his older brother. They lived in a small, dirty apartment for the duration of James's childhood, the only source of income being various odd jobs his brother searches for every day. Eventually, James's brother left to become a soldier, thinking this will be the best way for an unskilled young man to earn money and help his younger brother survive. It worked out for a few years, as James was able to rent a better home with the money his brother sent back. James grew to idolize his brother, even more so than he did in the past. Being a soldier seemed to be the most noble of any profession... James wanted to be just like that. Just like his brother.
    Five years ago, as James studied and trained to be the best soldier he could, he got word that his brother... traveled across the stars on a dangerous mission. He didn't make it out alive.
    Hearing this, James began to break down into a psychotic mess. He almost became catatonic. But instead of submitting to the heartbreak, and falling into the abyss of insanity, something different snapped. He sat up, as life faded from his eyes, and turned to the books. Cutting himself off from social interaction, his damaged mind focused on two things, and two things only: studying weapons and the art of war, and applying these skills as a soldier. At present day, James lives as an almost mechanical soldier, who listens intently but rarely speaks. There's a sullen air surrounding him, as his face no longer sparkles with youth and energy. He has joined the Freelancers in the pursuit of skill, and while he won't speak it, he does contain a passion, a yearning to protect. Protect everything.
    Special Skill: Grade-A sharpshooter. His aim is almost supernatural. Possesses decent ability in the field of weapon maintenance, as well.
    AI:
    Armor Enhancement:
    Last edited by Zelos Wilder; November 29th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.

A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar

Name: Franciso Lopez
    Codename: Arizona
    Character Description: 5'10", Hispanic, brown eyes, buzz cut. Quick to speak, quicker to move; blessed with natural speed. Lean yet strong fram, very fit, even for a soldier. Youngest of eight siblings and belives strongly in his faith and family; mangages to stay in tune with both dispite being in service since turning 18. He has more street and survival smarts than book, and isn't afraid to step out of line to protect the others around him. He is a jack-of-all-trades in the field, but calls himself a rifleman and is a fine one at that.
    Armor Color: Steel Gray/ Maroon
    Character Backstory: Born and raised in SoCal, Franciso choose the military (paratrooping) to follow in his father's and uncle's footsteps. He likes to eat a great deal, and yet he is still built like a rod. Enjoys tinklering with weapons and military tech, too, and has made several notable improves to the standard kits. He a girlfriend back in California, he has plans to marry later. He joined Freelancer for the thrill and was approved by his ODST captain.
    Special Skill: He is fast, bold and accurate. Not a leader, but has a positive attitude and team-first mindset.
    AI:
    Armor Enhancement:
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

Just a note to all those participating or thinking about participating:
    AIs and Armor Enhancements will not be given out until after the initial training session. If your character is in the training session, he/she will be a normal soldier. The Director will speak to everyone after the training session and dole out the AIs and the Enhancements before telling everyone about the First Mission.

Are you still planning to run this RP, Pikanator? I'm still interested, and with the other arena lords active I hope this is able to get started.

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Huh, I thought I approved this. Must have been something else Halo or something else I don't know.

Either way I'm going to assume this is all present and correct.

Approvals: 2/3-ish?

Thank you for your service Curus.

And yes, I do plan on running this once it's fully approved.

year of the salmon Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Looks good. And it doesn't seem to be too hard and jargony to understand, even to a non-Halo fan like me.

Approvals: 3/3ish

steal away everything i have

Excellent, thank you.

I'll have this running within the week. I've been a bit busy, even though it is winter break for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Curus View Post
    Huh, I thought I approved this. Must have been something else Halo or something else I don't know.
    I think you may be thinking of my CYOA, I talked to you about it a bit in the past over a PM.

Anyways, I'm looking foward to the new stuff! Good luck, Pikanator!

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARC Trooper CX-7529 View Post
    I think you may be thinking of my CYOA, I talked to you about it a bit in the past over a PM.

Anyways, I'm looking foward to the new stuff! Good luck, Pikanator!
    Yes, I think that's it. I keep scrolling over this thread thinking it's yours.

QUESTIONS:

1: Is there still space for registering?

2: Can the armor have slight modifications?

3: Are the aliens part of the original series or something else?
    I am so mad right now I'm gonna bob my head up and down.

Spoiler: Noteworthy quotes (some make sense in context '-') 

1: Regester space is still open. I was going to wait a little bit longer so that I could get a few more people (sorry folks)

2: Armor can be slightly modified. Just make sure you say how it is, though.

3: The aliens, Covenant, are part of the original series. For all intents and purposes, they are also part of this plot.

Allrighty. Here's my character.

Name: Luiz Marguel Figueiredo
    Codename: Maine
    Character Description: 6"1, latino, green eyes with a pulled-back hair. Thin, yet muscular, he is very athletic and nimble. Oldest of a family of 3, he lives in Southern Brazil (specifically, Rio Grande do Sul). Since birth, he was always a creative thinker, which made him develop a love for hiding and strategism. He would sometimes spend days amiss in his own house, hiding. His face is slightly more tanned than the rest of his body. He has a greek-ish nose, and has a thin beard. He has shiny, deep eyes, and a distinctive burn scar on the left side of his neck. He is very calm and collected, although he has more than a few lapses of rage. He tends to swear alot in Portuguese.
    Armor Color: Dark olive with a grey trim. His headset has a larger visor, covering 1/4 of it. His armor has a slimmer fit and lacks pauldrons, instead having thin, interlocking plates running down his arm.
    Character Backstory: Luiz was born in Brazil, but since his father was american he is bilingual. He had 2 brothers, but the youngest died in a horrible accident. He followed his father's vocation for hunting, warding off pests and the occasional large mammal from his home, located in the "estancia" (wilderness). When he became 18, he decided to join the american army. Rising in the ranks, he heard about project Freelancer and decided he would volunteer for the project, honouring his father's fighting cause and to improve his abilities.
    Special Skill: Extremely good at covert ops. (sneaking). He is good using camouflage and is a great strategist/thinker.
    AI:
    Armor Enhancement:

Is the armor stuff okay?
    Last edited by That Guy in the Trash; January 4th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
    I am so mad right now I'm gonna bob my head up and down.

Spoiler: Noteworthy quotes (some make sense in context '-') 

This is all ok.

Well guys, who's ready to start?
    I'm still open for later joiners if anyone else has an interest.

Thread Information