View Poll Results: Who's your favorite pony?

Voters
10085. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twilight Sparkle

8 0.08%
  • Applejack

3 0.03%
  • Rainbow Dash

12 0.12%
  • Rarity

5 0.05%
  • Pinkamena Diane "Pinkie" Pie

11 0.11%
  • Fluttershy

0 0%
  • Princess Celestia

10,001 99.17%
  • Princess Luna

2 0.02%
  • Derpy Hooves/Ditzy Doo

8 0.08%
  • Apple Bloom

1 0.01%
  • Sweetie Belle

2 0.02%
  • Scootaloo

0 0%
  • Zecora

1 0.01%
  • Big Macintosh

1 0.01%
  • Granny Smith

0 0%
  • Cheerilee

0 0%
  • The Mayor

0 0%
  • "The Great and Powerful" Trixie

2 0.02%
  • Lyra/Heartstrings

1 0.01%
  • Doctor Whooves

3 0.03%
  • Carrot Top/Godlen Harvest

0 0%
  • Vinyl Scratch/DJ Pon3

4 0.04%
  • Octavia

8 0.08%
  • Spike :P

7 0.07%
  • Other

5 0.05%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (part the second)

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (part the second)

I would really like an episode that explains where Applejack derived her signature hat, or at least one that pertains to a problem involving her hat. Would be amazing to have that elucidated.

Not really sure how I felt about the episode...I think it was a case of it being well-executed, but the content not really striking a chord with me for some reason. :/

Pinkie was great in this ep though. :P

The poll for Naughty vs Nice is nearing its completion, and, as conjectured, Pinkie Pie and Discord are in the finals, for their respective categories.
    Pinkie Pie vs Optimus Prime, and Discord vs Dan. Following soon after the polls' cessation, the winning show(s) (I'm uncertain of what they would have done in the event of two different shows win simultaneously for different categories) will receive a marathon on The Hub.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/1...marketing.html
    That's a long title right there! The main point about this one though, is the small blurb buried in the job description:

As a key member of our team, you will ensure the brand essence and all expressions of "anything My Little Pony" is consistent across platforms…and become a part of making the My Little Pony brand a pop culture phenomenon!
    I cannot wait to see who makes the job for this.

You'll eat 'til you're full! Then you'll eat 'til you burst! Then you'll eat some more! Gun's Avatar

so i just finished the first season and my opinion is that it's certainly a good show but doesn't really live up to the hype the internet gave it

which is probably to be expected! with so many people acting like it's literally the best thing to happen to television i was half expecting to be underwhelmed anyway but this is not to say it's a bad show because it definitely isn't! just not as great as everyone makes it out to be

i'll leave watching the second season to when it's finished it's run but in the meantime this is literally the best oneshot character and i wish he'd turn up again

My body's falling. I think I've hit the floor. I cannot feel, anything, anymore. Homesick's Avatar

I am now almost done with the first season, and I actually enjoyed it. I was a big opposer at first, but then decided I should atleast watch before I said no to it. So here I am, looking forward to more episodes.

I do have to say, I was disappointed by the lack or Rarity votes ^

Walk away from anything or anyone who takes away from your joy. Life is too short to put up with fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    so i just finished the first season and my opinion is that it's certainly a good show but doesn't really live up to the hype the internet gave it
    I can easily agree with this. Before I gave the show a chance, I loathed it, mainly because it was getting a lot of hype I felt it was not going to be capable of backing up. Certain members (of other sites) were irritating me with their incessant teasing of people that were not bronies, and deliberate trolling that did not really supplement the brony community's image. At that point, I felt completely bewildered, especially when it came to the banter and contention in threads where bronies were brought up. Bronies were curious, gathered up in a thread in an attempt to resolve inquiry, and were accused of trolling, which further abated the merit (if people that aren't bronies still perceive any), and greatened the stigma.

In sheer curiosity, I watched the show at my friend's house when I saw it available On Demand. My first episode was Green Isn't Your Color, and I most definitely do not regret it. The show was about as good as I expected, if not better (I was expecting something below mediocre), and after watching more episodes, it procured my interest even more. After well over six months, now, I'm a loyal brony that's still fascinated by the show, and I love to discuss it with people I can relate to. It's similar to how my Smash career went, albeit a bit more... stigmatized, and provoking of question or curiosity. Do I associate myself with the asinine fanatics? Absolutely not. Do I love the show? Very much, but not enough to overrate it if someone asks.

i was half expecting to be underwhelmed anyway but this is not to say it's a bad show because it definitely isn't! just not as great as everyone makes it out to be
    It isn't always the best idea to use the thoughts of others in considering your guess of how the show is going to be. Some people love their interests enough to overrate them to oblivion, and it's foolhardy, in my opinion. Take the movie Twilight, for example. Some people who have never seen the movie completely denounce the movie based on what others have said or implied. I have never seen it, so I cannot pass judgement on what the movie was like, at all. Why don't I want to see it? Because it does not pertain to my interests. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic also failed to compel my interest, but rather, it piqued my curiosity, as to why it had such a massive internet following, and why a majority of the following were teen to adult males. It was definitely lackluster in comparison to what the internet made it appear to be, but I enjoyed my first view. The fanbase is extremely productive, and it seldom fails to displease, at least, where I'm willing to tread.
    Last edited by Zatch.; December 15th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.

A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by One-X View Post
    I am now almost done with the first season, and I actually enjoyed it. I was a big opposer at first, but then decided I should atleast watch before I said no to it. So here I am, looking forward to more episodes.

I do have to say, I was disappointed by the lack or Rarity votes ^
    It's a small world after all~

Except for the Rarity part. She has like 4-5 which is a pretty good deal. It seems like Dash and Twilight get most of the attention but well, they both are are great, so I can't complain. How episodes has Pinkie had? I know she had that one where she thought nopony wanted to be her friend, but I'm drawing a blank on others (If there are more in season 2, I have only watched up to the pet episode so I wouldn't know).

That and Tom needs more attention.
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

Know my power ... in art. SonicStar23750's Avatar

Spoiler: Hub's Naughty or Nice Competition Results 

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

i'll leave watching the second season to when it's finished it's run but in the meantime this is literally the best oneshot character and i wish he'd turn up again
    "Release the hounds!"
    "...But we ARE the hounds."
    "Yes."
    "So we're releasing ourselves?"
    "...Maybe." [/tv commercial reference]

Braeburn is also an excellent one-shot character.

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

I just watched the latest episode.
    Let's have a moment of silence for all the fics that were burned today.
    Spoiler: Box'd because the tags aren't working for me for some reason 
    Last edited by Snickerway; December 17th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

They probably didnt see the need to come over, when they were there at ancient times, it was defined as a long era of strife and hate by three entire civilizations. meanwhile now we get short doses of problems that get resolved in a day or two. theyd starve if they went to ponyville now to feed. that and theyre probably stoned and are just hanging outside in a garden for all to see.

There's that thing with the windows mysteriously blowing open,
    which shows that they're alive and well in the present and stimulated by a minor disagreement.

Did that tag work for everyone else or is it just me?

Level 99 Alphakirby psychoticBacofoil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spedd View Post
    There's that thing with the windows mysteriously blowing open,
    which shows that they're alive and well in the present and stimulated by a minor disagreement.

Did that tag work for everyone else or is it just me?
    They are very excited about being able to cause a storm after hundreds of years. But the question remains, why didn't they show up when Discord was released, I mean that was a petty argument as well.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticBacofoil View Post
    They are very excited about being able to cause a storm after hundreds of years. But the question remains, why didn't they show up when Discord was released, I mean that was a petty argument as well.
    Exactly. They didn't appear at all during more major conflicts than who was going to close a window. Maybe they only appear during that time of year.

Theres a rule in canterlot. it goes as follows "only one evil being can be released by preschoolers a week. no exceptions"

Level 99 Alphakirby psychoticBacofoil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spedd View Post
    Exactly. They didn't appear at all during more major conflicts than who was going to close a window. Maybe they only appear during that time of year.
    >Implying Equestria has "times of the year" I thought it was mostly just whatever the hell Celestia felt like during the day.
    Last edited by psychoticBacofoil; December 17th, 2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticBacofoil View Post
    >Implying Equestria has "times of the year" I thought it was mostly just whatever the &&&& Celestia felt like during the day.
    That explains why fall came after winter.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

It could be just a story.
    I mean, its not like this is some sort of flashback from the princess, this is a play put on in a attempt to explain the origins of a holiday, events that happened a long time ago, and seemingly long before Celestia or Luna ever came into the picture. The windigos may just be a plot device used to explain why the three tribes needed to cooperate and make nice (and scare fillies into not arguing with each other).
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Just wondering: who all did people vote for in the poll?

I voted for Pinkie Pie~

The episode was... inadequate to me. I really enjoyed the plot of the comedy, though. Pinkie Pie was amazing this episode, like, wow. It was enthralling as it approached its climax, but it did not satisfy afterward. There were some moments that brought me to laughter, but I do not feel that compensates for much. 5/10 for me on this episode.
    Fluttershy had some very interesting facial expressions, I am impressed.

Eh, it was alright. Spike's accent was a bit bothersome.

Alright, so I watched the first two episodes of MLP:FiM when they originally aired, because I was on 4chan's /co/ at the time, and they were interested in watching it due to an overly critical and reactionary review some dude had written.
    Based on that two-parter, I concluded that MLP:FiM was "ok" in general, and for a little girl's show meant to push a line a toys... it was pretty &&&&ing good.
    Overall, a decent waste of time, but nothing I would actively seek out and watch.

So a few months went by and before I knew it there was a huge fan following. I'm not quite sure how that happened, but ok.
    This has me wondering if the show got more amazing after the first two episodes, because WHY ELSE WOULD THERE BE SO MANY FANS, which leads me to watching more of the show to see what the big deal is.

I ended up marathoning the entire first season in one sitting.

I learned two things from that:
    1. No, the show did not get better after the first two episodes.
    2. MLP:FiM is potato chips. You just keep shoving those chips into your face and you don't know why. There's better food out there, hell, even better snack food out there, and you know it, but you keep eating anyway.

Since then, I have only seen the two-part premier of Season 2, and have no desire to see more, especially since I'd have to go through the effort of a YouTube search.

So I gotta ask: Am I missing something?
    What do you guy's see in MLP:FiM that I don't?

The fanbase hypes the show up like it's the second coming of Christ, but it's average at best. The plots are very predictable, the characters are basic and tired tropes, the animation is remarkable only by the low standards of flash, and the writing is hit or miss.
    The only real compliments I can give unreservedly are that the art is colorful and appealing, and the voice work is flawless.

So yeah, again, I don't get it. Why is My Little Pony so popular?
    Is it the irony of a bunch of male twenty-somethings enjoying a show designed for little girls? Is it the surprise of My Little Pony actually being an alright show? Or does everyone seriously think this is one of the greatest cartoons ever made?

Oh, also. Spike is the best my little pony.
    If you disagree, then
    that is your opinion, and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    Alright, so I watched the first two episodes of MLP:FiM when they originally aired, because I was on 4chan's /co/ at the time, and they were interested in watching it due to an overly critical and reactionary review some dude had written.
    Based on that two-parter, I concluded that MLP:FiM was "ok" in general, and for a little girl's show meant to push a line al toys... it is pretty &&&&ing good.
    Overall, a decent waste of time, but nothing I would actively seek out and watch.

So a few months went by and before I knew it there was a huge fan following. I'm not quite sure how that happened, but ok.
    This has me wondering if the show got more amazing after the first two episodes, because WHY ELSE WOULD THERE BE SO MANY FANS, which leads me to watching more of the show to see what the big deal is.

I ended up marathoning the entire first season in one sitting.

I learned two things from that:
    1. No, the show did not get better after the first two episodes.
    Yes, it did.
    2. MLP:FiM is potato chips. You just keep shoving those chips into your face and you don't know why. There's better food out there, hell, even better snack food out there, and you know it, but you keep eating anyway.
    not really. honestly, this, AT, RS, and MAD, are the best carton currently airing, imo.

Since then, I have only seen the two-part premier of Season 2, and have no desire to see more, especially since I'd have to go through the effort of a YouTube search.

So I gotta ask: Am I missing something?
    What do you guy's see in MLP:FiM that I don't?

The fanbase hypes the show up like it's the second coming of Christ, but it's average at best. The plots are very predictable, the characters are basic and tired tropes, the animation is remarkable only by the low standards of flash, and the writing is hit or miss.
    Give me an example.
    The only real compliments I can give unreservedly are that the art is colorful and appealing, and the voice work is flawless.

So yeah, again, I don't get it. Why is My Little Pony so popular?
    Is it the irony of a bunch of male twenty-somethings enjoying a show designed for little girls? Is it the surprise of My Little Pony actually being an alright show? Or does everyone seriously think this is one of the greatest cartoons ever made?
    I would say the third one.

Oh, also. Spike is the best my little pony. Not a pony.
    If you disagree, then
    that is your opinion, and I respect that.
    Bold: Me.

Spell-check is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDee View Post
    Give me an example.
    fair enough.

Predictable plots:

I'll just give a few predictions I made while watching the show that really stood out to me. I was able to predict what would happen in most of the episodes right off the bat, but these examples seem particularly notable to me.

The episode where Twilight gets two tickets to the Gala.
    Oh, Rainbow Dash and Apple Jack both want the extra ticket? Alright. EVERY pony is going to want that ticket, and at the end, Celestia will send enough tickets for everyone once they've learned a valuable lesson.

The episode with tribbles parasprites.
    Oh, it multiplied mysteriously? Yup. By the end of the episode there will be one billion of them and they will eat everything.
    Oh, Pinkie Pie is being silly by gathering up instruments and the other ponies are confused and dismissive about this. Yup. She is the only one that knows what to do and she will save the day.

Basic character tropes:

Do I really need examples for this?
    Rainbow Dash is the tomboy, Fluttershy is shy, Pinkie Pie is SO RANDOM xD, etc. etc.

Animation quality:

It's flash. This means the animation is smooth, which is nice, but it also means everything is mostly made out of "parts" that just tween around and squash and stretch for animation. This is very noticeably lazy looking when compared with frame by frame animation.
    It looks just fine, and it suits the show well, but I've seen so many claims that the animation is super amazing, or the best a cartoon has ever had. It's not.

Hit or miss writing:

Difficult to come up with examples since the jokes and stuff that don't work aren't memorable by nature.
    You're just going to have to take my word on this when I say that, at least for me, a lot of the jokes fell flat.
    Don't get me wrong though. That means some of the jokes worked, which automatically puts it leagues above many of the cartoons out there that can't even get me to crack a smile.

I will say that there are some plot holes and loose ends.

Like OK, the poison joke episode.
    Spike (The best my little pony) is trying to fix the problem with some book, and it's the same book that Zecora uses to remedy the problem.
    What comes of that plot point?
    Well.... nothing. The show just sort of forgets that Spike had access to the cure and was working on the problem
    You never see Twilight apologize to Spike for assuming it wasn't the right book. You never find out if Spike was able to figure out what to do using the book. NOTHING comes of this.

That's poor writing.

honestly, this, AT, RS, and MAD, are the best carton currently airing, imo.
    I would say the third one
    Back to a question in my original post: Why? What about the show do you think is so great?
    I'm not trying to criticize or anything. I'm genuinely curious.

Not a pony
    Spike is in the poll, so he must be a my little pony.

Q.E.D.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    Like OK, the poison joke episode.
    Spike (The best my little pony) is trying to fix the problem with some book, and it's the same book that Zecora uses to remedy the problem.
    What comes of that plot point?
    Well.... nothing. The show just sort of forgets that Spike had access to the cure and was working on the problem
    You never see Twilight apologize to Spike for assuming it wasn't the right book. You never find out if Spike was able to figure out what to do using the book. NOTHING comes of this.

That's poor writing.
    The joke here is that Spike isn't working in the book and is actually working on thinking of a funny name for Twilight and her floppy horn.
    He actually says an idea as he's writing it down in the book, not looking through trying to find a cure.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Thread Information