Thread: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **March 2011**

Administrator Forum Administrator fiftyeighthens's Avatar

BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **March 2011**

Everyone gets old, including the characters of Brawl in the Family! This month's theme was age and the effects of its moist touch. Grab your dentures and Ben Gay - this is gonna be a doozie. Here are the top entrants!

B Prime's entry

This surreal glimpse into the future shows Dedede finally "getting" Kirby in a rather unexpected way. We loved Kirby's expressions and the bizarre concept behind the comic. The goofy design of the characters just seals it.

Clandy's entry

In his old age, it seems that Kirby's sucking powers have diminished substantially. Kirby's wrinkled dome is drawn with gruesome attention to detail, inspiring a sense of foreboding in all of us for Kirby's twilight years. The straw adds insult to injury, a crutch for the very essence of who Kirby is. With any luck, the sweet embrace of death isn't far off from our hero.

Dawnycakes' entry

When Mario gets old, he needs some help getting those hard-to-reach coins. It seems that Mario has lost his ability to jump and run quickly, so this game would . So, I guess the lesson here is that age steals everything good about life until you've got nothing left. Cheery!

Detta's entry

With perhaps the most creative entry of the month, Detta shows us a world much older than the other entries - so old, in fact, that R.O.B. and Mr. Sun are perhaps the only characters who are still alive. As a WALL-e homage, this entry illustrates the essence of "old" exceptionally well.

GigaNerd17

Kids can be so cruel! No respect for their elders at all. The new-school Pokemon are giving Charizard a hard time, who never had any sorts of Day Care back in his heydey. The sharp artwork looks very clean, despite being done on loose leaf paper. We got a kick out of the stylish clothes everyone seems to be wearing.

Gray Fox

After a few decades, I guess the whole Mushroom Kingdom gets old and decrepit. Do the hills and clouds develop arthritis? Wheelchair racing would likely be less exciting than its motorized counterpart, and it looks like Mario needs to think about retiring.

metaknight4ever's entry

Waluigi as a plump old guy somehow looks more menacing than I would have thought. Those bloodshot eyes lend him an intensity that is deeply unsettling. I'd hate to have him as my next door neighbor!

Mr-Knighmare

"Just another day out on the porch... Oh, don't mind Waluigi, he's always like that." We got a real kick out of the implication that while everyone else has mellowed and relaxed with age, Waluigi retains the unhinged, unrestrained personality that perplexes those who don't know him. The plumbers and Wario seem unfazed by this behavior, as though they've become rather accustomed to it (though that doesn't mean they like it).

sevenstitch's entry

Boy, this Lakitu looks way too old to still be doing this! Granted, Yoshi probably isn't racing in that thing - I imagine he just crashed through a display at Wal-Mart or something. Even so, Yoshi's expression suggests that this happens to him a lot, so one has to wonder what exactly he keeps doing to end up in this predicament. We liked how wrinkly everything is in this image and the suggestion that old habits (like kart racing or kart fishing) die hard.

T-3000

This old folks' home is full of heroes past their prime who don't seem to have too many golden years left. Everyone's kind of tired, in pain, or angry - that doesn't really make me look forward to retirement. There are lots of fun details in this piece, but the icy fingers of death are definitely present.

TheBovine's entry

Classic mechanics from Super Mario Bros such as the timer, splattered goombas, and 2-player mode are given the "too-old-for-this" treatment in this impressively drawn piece. The shape of the characters and the way they're posed make me feel old just by looking at them.

And the winner is...

Dawnycakes' entry!

It was a close decision, but we felt Dawnycakes' piece was the strongest composition this month! It's simple and it looks great, from the linework to the coloring to each object in the image. Great work, Dawnycakes!

THanks to everyone who submitted an entry this month! See you in our April contest!
    Last edited by fiftyeighthens; April 6th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

"How much of the truth do you think you know?" Detta's Avatar

Re: BitF Fan Art WINNER and RUNNERS-UP! **March 2011**

Yay! Runner up again! I'm glad I'm back to my status-quo.

Congrats to Dawnycakes!

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

I really liked the coloring on Dawnycakes' entry, very bright and Mario-ish. That is totally a word.
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Well-deserved places! The winning entry is very nicely colored and drawn, and sets a very happy mood, despite being about Mario in his final years... Congratulations, Dawnycakes!
    Stand aside, tubby! You're stepping on a midget with money!

Creative Juices! Thanks Giganerd!

Dawnycakes, I like your entry and glad you won!!!

I can see why Dawnycakes won, that was fantastic.

Aaw, dern, didnt even make runner up this time. My 3 month runner up streak is over! Yeah, but i get that. kinda rushed my entry. But hey, i had been thinking dawnycakes would win all along so im happy bout that! Great job!

Awesome job for a first entry, dawnycakes! :D Looks like we're all caught up with winners and runners-up for the competitions, so all is right with the world again. :P ...sorta.

Got it memorized? DO YOU?!? Got-It-Memorized?'s Avatar

Dawnycakes, nicely done. The others were awesome too, but your's is in first place for a reason.
    Got it Memorized?

Dave the Barbarian is Awesome!!! wafflesrock's Avatar

Awesome job dawnycakes!
    | my piggy drawing skills
    |
    v

Great job, Dawnycakes!

and to the runner ups too! ^-^
    I beat KH2 with 11 different Handicaps! Kingdom Hearts RULES! <3

I beat the 1000 Heartless Battle without Reaction Commands, in Proud Mode, at lvl. 36-38, Kingdom Keyblade only, no Armor, only 3 potions and 2 eithers, and a bunch of other handicaps. It means a lot to me that I did that. :3

Because let's face it, who doesn't love cupcakes? Dawnycakes's Avatar

Wow, thank you! I'm blushing in real life right now. I don't know what to say, I honestly didn't expect to win!! Everyone did an awesome job! I can't wait to see what we all come up with next month!

It's pretty funny actually, because I was using prismacolor markers to color in my picture, and the last thing I colored was the sky. Sure enough, as soon as I start to color a big section, my marker starts to die. I got them at a flea market, so I guess I can't be too surprised looking back. I was freaking out, wondering if I was gonna be able to finish my picture or not. I don't have Photoshop installed on my laptop so I couldn't finish that way, and somehow I am completely incompetent in Paint. Sure enough, after a lot of waiting and coloring and waiting and pacing and then even more coloring, I got enough of it done that I felt it wouldn't be too bad. Being new is always hard for me, and it's really flattering to see you guys like my picture. Thanks again you guys <3

Star Warrior

I'd've picked the same winner. That said, the element that tickles me the most right now is Gray Fox's cane-wielding Piranha Plant. It's not even one of the walking varieties!

Am I supposed to say something interesting here? If so then prepare to be disappointed. Meta-Knight's Avatar

OUCH! Not even runners up! Ah well, better step up my game for next time!! But woah, way to go Dawny!!! That picture truly was amazing, and I love it. Good job to everyone who made it to this round, and to Dawny who one!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard Canine View Post
    I'd've picked the same winner. That said, the element that tickles me the most right now is Gray Fox's cane-wielding Piranha Plant. It's not even one of the walking varieties!
    Hahaha, Thanks! You made me feel better!

Banned

I finally get access to a computer after a week of vacationing to Washington, D.C., and I find not only that Gray Fox made an entry, but that my quickly-sketched Pokemon gig got runner-up? BEST VACATION EVAR!!!

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

Congratulations Dawny! Your entry deserved the win with those clean lines and little details. My second favorite would be Clandy and that addicting cell shaded style.
    Congrats to all the runner-ups to!

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Star Warrior

I now realize what was nagging me about sevenstitch's entry: Kamek once called Yoshi a "cutie without a navel." Seems he grew one with age.

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyeighthens View Post
    "Just another day out on the porch... Oh, don't mind Waluigi, he's always like that." We got a real kick out of the implication that while everyone else has mellowed and relaxed with age, Waluigi retains the unhinged, unrestrained personality that perplexes those who don't know him.
    I thought Waluigi was spazzing because his chair was tipping. He's the only one not in a rocker.

Congrats to the artists!

We Rise as a Magical Girl, And We Fall as a Witch... Erygirl's Avatar

Grats Dawny! : D

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

My favorite would probably be GigaNerd's, out of all of them, if it wasn't for the fact that Charizard doesn't blast the Gen V starters into cinders, proving that Lvl 100s are something to be feared.

But my hands-down fave was Sevenstitch. Easily. I loved it.

And congrats to ya'll runners-up and Dawny, great work, allaya.
    Last edited by Eruedraith; April 22nd, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Consider me lurking sevenstitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    My favorite would probably be GigaNerd's, out of all of them, if it wasn't for the fact that Charizard doesn't blast the Gen V starters into cinders, proving that Lvl 100s are something to be feared.

But my hands-down fave was Sevenstitch. Easily. I loved it.

And congrats to ya'll runners-up and Dawny, great work, allaya.
    Aww, go on.. Thanks! Congrats Dawny, a great piece that truly deserved to win.

Thread Information