Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visual Novels

Level 99 Alphakirby psychoticBacofoil's Avatar

Re: Visual Novels

The only VN I played until the end is 999 (If that even counts)
    I tried getting into Fate/Night but I just couldn't. Anyway, is School Days officially in English yet?

I tried getting into Fate/Night but I just couldn't.
    Any idea why? F/sn is quite good.

Anyway, is School Days officially in English yet?
    Nope. It'll be released in 2012.

...I must consume more works featuring yandere characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    Any idea why? F/sn is quite good.
    Nope, no idea whatsoever.

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticBacofoil View Post
    Nope, no idea whatsoever.
    To be fair, it starts out quite slowly. About how far did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    To be fair, it starts out quite slowly. About how far did you get?
    Not very. I think a little bit before the first fight

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

...Yeah, you may want to try it out again. Once the story picks up, you'll begin to analyze even the usual morning nonsense.

At least, that's how it was for me.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticBacofoil View Post
    Not very. I think a little bit before the first fight
    Yeah, definitely get to at least the fighting. Honestly for a VN it's done very well and makes the entire thing quite entertaining. Especially since Realta Nua is a thing now, you can replay it now and get voices!

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but EP8 of Umineko is now fully translated! Yaaaay.

I'm also glad to see more people posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    I forgot to mention this yesterday, but EP8 of Umineko is now fully translated! Yaaaay.
    OH MY LORD
    This day was prophesied, but I wasn't sure it would ever come, let alone in my own lifetime! And the great thing is that I'm pretty much set to buy Chiru this weekend. I mean, it'll be a while before I get to EP8 anyway, but this way I don't have to worry about re-patching it.

My life can finally be complete

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Hey so it counts that I'm playing Katawa Shoujo right?

Right.

There's a whole story behind this game's development, and its very unusual premise of being a VN/something about disabled people and stuff, and you can find everything on that blog post there. But yeah so far this is pretty well made, although I'm no expert on VNs, since this is basically the first one I've actually played. Which I guess it kinda odd, but it's as good a starter as any in my opinion, it's pretty enjoyable so far, although the only real choice I've made so far has been accidental... but it's played out alright I guess.

But somehow I get the feeling there's no Misha route and that's just disappointing

Oh yeah and it does have R18 stuff but you can turn them off, as I of course did maybe

I started Katawa Shoujo as well.

Dear god, it's wonderful. It's amazing how much thought was clearly put into this - considerably more than many japanese visual novels, I can say.

I'm currently on Lilly's Act 2, and it's been very enjoyable so far.

Ark

So I went through Shizune's route first since she seemed like a pretty cool girl, and Misha was nice too.

I'm not sure how many endings there are for Shizune's route, but I got a bad end, and then the good one after that (figured I might as well go for the bad first). As always, I felt terrible for going the bad route, but I dunno, this one felt particularly bad compared to ones I've read before. I mean, it kinda killed the drive to go for the good route for a bit since it really felt that terrible.

Anyway, Katawa Shoujo is wonderful and all of the work put into it really shows. I need to get finished with the rest of the routes since I really enjoyed myself with the one that I did. Not gonna go for any specific girl this time around, but first impressions left me with Hanako as my second favorite (behind Shizune), so I'll probably try to save her for last.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

I, too, am going through Katawa Shoujo. It's admittedly the first VN I've ever picked up, and it's certainly an interesting experience. I'd definitely consider dabbling further in the medium. I'm about midway through Emi's route, which is the first one I've played, and honestly, I was kind of disappointed that I got her. I was kind of angling for Lilly - like it's any surprise that I'd want to go for the classy one - but I could've settled for Hanako or even Rin. Once I finish Emi's path, I intend to go through Kenji's, because he's frankly fantastic, before I do Lilly's, Hanako's, Rin's and Shizune's. In that order. If I have the patience for all of that (and it could probably go either way).

It's great, though. Especially the soundtrack, although that does start to get a little repetitive.

So I finished KS for real last night.
    It was wonderful. It's probably one of my favorites now, and raised my standards of things a little. Now, I don't really want to write a full review here, but I will say that I wish more visual novel developers would make more sex scenes like the ones present here. As in, ones that don't exist simply for the sake of sex, and that actually are relevant to the story.

(by the way; Hanako = Emi > Shizune > Lilly ? Rin)

Hm... this made me want to reread Yume Miru Kusuri.

So I just started reading KS finally, and I agree with Moon in that this has raised my standards quite a bit. The writing is fantastic and all of the characters are very likeable and distinct. Going to try for Rin's or Hanako's route, but honestly I'm just blind running it more than anything and don't really care where I end up first time through.

EDIT: Played all day and got all the Hanako endings. Will anything else in the VN match up to the good end of that route? Somehow I doubt it, but I will be ecstatic if it does. That was one of the best things I've ever read.
    Last edited by bghvgjdh; January 22nd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

Whoops, forgot about this thread!

Anyway, there are two important visual novel-related things going on right now.

The first is Higurashi being added to Steam's Greenlight thing. This is huge because, if it passes, it'll be an enormous step in increasing the notoriety of visual novels in the west. Which is a good thing! So if you have a Steam account and you haven't upvoted it yet, go do that. Now.

The second is Annot Player, a program being developed by a guy called Jichi that allows one to add annotations to games and stuff, visual novels included. I'll just quote another blog post for the specific explanation here.

Spoiler: Aaeru 

Tl;dr crowd-sourced translations with no hacking required. Magic! I have to say, the future of visual novels over here is starting to look pretty good.

In other news, the Fate/hollow ataraxia translation's at 83% completion. There's also some stuff involving the Sono Hanabiras, but I think I'll leave that for another time.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Basically hell yeah fanlations

Maybe we might even be able to see Mahou Tsukai no Yoru translated in the near future with this stuff out there!

Anyways, I'm gonna get started up (finally) on my playthrough of F/SN, methinks - I kinda just left it hanging on day 6 of the Fate route because stuff came up, but I feel like I can really start delving into the game now.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Basically hell yeah fanlations

Maybe we might even be able to see Mahou Tsukai no Yoru translated in the near future with this stuff out there!
    Actually Mahoyo already has a translation planned - not really surprising, considering the demo got a patch or something too. It's still in the early stages, though.

Hope you like F/sn, anyway... hm, this reminds me that I should probably check the status of the various Realta Nua stuffs.
    Last edited by Chiffon; January 16th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Man this place just keeps on dyin'

So Type-Moon's 10th anniversary is coming up, and so it's not really surprising that WHOA TRAILER FOR THAT TSUKIHIME REMAKE AW YEAH AND SACCHIN ROUTE AT LAST. YES. Yes.

In other TM-realted news, the blog for the Realta Nua patch was recently updated. Guess that means that it is coming someday!

Looks at copy of Tsukihime

Hasn't even finish first route

Wonders if it's worth finishing at this point

But in all seriousness, it's nice to see some more Type-Moon activity, even if it's a remake. Hopefully once I get a laptop of my own I can start reading some VNs again, but unfortunately until then I'm going to have to wait...

Oh man, I've been meaning to play Tsukihime for months now, but I've always been too lazy; this remake might be just the incentive I actually need. Of course, it might be a while until the remake comes out, and I'm not that patient... but still, if this lazy streak continues it looks like I might be picking it up anyway, haha.

Hey, I have some news! Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete, a VN that I've been interested in for a while now, is being officially released in english (as If My Heart Had Wings)! Though I don't think anyone here will have heard of it, this is still important news because the company bringing it over - MoeNovel - seems to be new, so if they've decided to have Konosora as their first thing, I wonder what sort of stuff they'll translate after this. Probably better things than all the nukige crap that MangaGamer insists on releasing.
    Last edited by Chiffon; May 9th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Update: a post on VNTLS about what's currently known about MoeNovel and Konosora/IMHHW

Most notably, they're removing the h-scenes. I'm not really sure how to feel about that.

Honestly, the h-scenes being taken out isn't my biggest worry about this release. (Although they couldn't have been Nasu-tier bad hopefully, I wasn't exactly expecting them to be great; although I can see why removing them might make IMHHW significantly more accessible to a western market, I admit that I also don't know how I should be feeling). The translation apparently being quite rigid sounds like an open invitation for criticism, really. (I still need to play the demo, though, so I guess I'm gonna reserve judgment on the game itself until later).

sits in the corner and waits for fate/hollow ataraxia some more... but at least it's 96% translated!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    Honestly, the h-scenes being taken out isn't my biggest worry about this translation. (Although they couldn't have been Nasu-tier bad hopefully, I wasn't exactly expecting them to be great; although I can see why removing them might make IMHHW significantly more accessible to a western market, I admit that I also don't know how I should be feeling). The translation apparently being quite rigid seems like an issue just waiting to happen, really. (I still need to play the demo, though, so I guess I'm gonna reserve judgment on the game itself until later).
    I don't particularly care about the h-scenes either. I just don't want any kind of censorship, especially because it looks like Konosora does have a lot of them, so their removal might mess things up... plus, they could've just released a separate version with them included (like what MangaGamer did with Kira Kira).

Also, looking at the thread about this on MangaGamer's forums, it seems like the translation in the demo isn't final, so I'm not too worried about that.
    Last edited by Chiffon; May 12th, 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Thread Information