Thread: Smash Party

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

Smash Party

As the name of the title implies, it is a crossover between Smash Bros. and Mario Party. It would be more like Mario Party than Smash Tour in that players can choose the character they want to play as. Each board is themed either to an individual character or to an entire franchise. Examples can include Kirby-themed "Pop Star" (players move around throughout Pop Star visiting various locales found in the Kirby series) or Zelda-themed "Hyrule" (based on the layout of Ocarina of Time Hyrule). There would be many different minigames to play from, some even being variations of Smash Bros. itself (albeit timed at one minute and often has sudden death). Not just that, but miniboss and boss battles at the midpoint and end of the game session, respectively, would involve players using their Smash Bros. skills to take down the miniboss or boss. This would be a good way to introduce new players who don't play Smash Bros. well into Smash Bros. (as well as those who prefer a more pacifist playstyle).

It would be funny if a player lands on a "Master Core space" and end up with every player being subject to "Master Core-munism" in which all of the stars, mini-stars, and/or coins become evenly distributed.

Note that Smash Party won't replace Mario Party or Smash Bros.

What do you think?
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Re: Smash Party

It has the potential for greatness. I think the only problem is in party games, all player characters are equal in stats, hitboxes, etc, so this may cause sort of a hiccup in mechanics. Also, I think Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms, and Target Smash!! would make good mini-games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheese View Post
    It has the potential for greatness. I think the only problem is in party games, all player characters are equal in stats, hitboxes, etc, so this may cause sort of a hiccup in mechanics. Also, I think Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms, and Target Smash!! would make good mini-games.
    Those would indeed make great minigames.

Some sacrifices have to be made though. Take a look at Mario Party 10. Rosalina can levitate, though she had to be on the ground like all other characters, as having her levitate would not make sense in some minigames such as Balance Ball Brawl, Bouncy Brawl, Soccer Brawl, Bouncy Bounty, or Bubble Squabble or even give her an unfair advantage. Rosalina had to ride on a cloud in Fuzzy Fliers. Even in Smash Bros., Rosalina does not levitate most of the time, or else she could easily levitate over lava in some stages or make the slipperiness of the ice null for her.

I would pre-order Smash Party if it were to exist. Smash Party would bring the increasingly stale Mario Party back to relevancy.
    Last edited by The Kirbinator; April 20th, 2016 at 06:35 PM.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

So long, and thanks for all the fish Deucey Dee's Avatar

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Y'know, it's the funniest thing, I had thought of an idea like this sometime ago. Except that it isn't SSB-centric, being merely an all-inclusive Nintendo multiplayer game. I imagined it having a Mario Party-styled game, but I also thought of a Mario Kart-style racer, and other ideas, including a unique but borderline wacky versus shooter. I even wrote up a roster of playable characters for it.

Your idea intrigues me, though. Do go on. Smash Tour is basically ignored by most players, so I'm all for a more enticing Smash-based board game.

This is now my favorite scene and image from Archer.

There is no doubt more people would rather play a blatant ripoff of Mario Party but with Smash Bros. characters than Smash Tour. I would even want to play the ripoff, but my idea of Smash Party is better than Smash Tour on any given day.

Some of the minigames could be inspired by various Kirby games, including Kirby 64. After all, the person behind Smash Bros. is the creator of Kirby.

amiibo Party would be much more fun as well. A board that is one-quarter Kirby, one-quarter Pit, one-quarter Marth, and one-quarter Pikachu would be fun!
    Last edited by The Kirbinator; April 21st, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

There is no doubt more people would rather play a blatant ripoff of Mario Party but with Smash Bros. characters than Smash Tour. I would even want to play the ripoff, but my idea of Smash Party is better than Smash Tour on any given day.
    Somehow, I don't think people would really see it as a "blatant ripoff". On the contrary, they'd probably see it as "Mario Party finally interesting" or "Mario Party made interesting once again", or even "Mario Party as it should have been from the start". It just seems like one of those things that some fans secretly wish for without really expecting it to happen.

Some of the minigames could be inspired by various Kirby games, including Kirby 64. After all, the person behind Smash Bros. is the creator of Kirby.
    Oh. My. GODDESSES. Bumper Crop Bump and Checkerboard Chase with various Nintendo characters? That ALONE would be worth getting this game! And there're so many other games with mini-games of their own! Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokepark 1 & 2, Super Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros., the Wii Fit series, Nintendo Land, the Paper Mario series, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Wii Play, Wii Party, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Game and Wario, and then there's the entire Wario Ware series and their microgames; there's just so much content to work with! Not to mention all the content of the games themselves that can easily inspire original mini-games.

amiibo Party would be much more fun as well. A board that is one-quarter Kirby, one-quarter Pit, one-quarter Marth, and one-quarter Pikachu would be fun!
    That does sound interesting, but it'd be even better if they stepped it up from being just a parallel. For example, the boards are so small and simplistic in MP10's amiibo Party. The boards should be bigger in this version, and not so simplistic.

You know what would really make this mode interesting? If the boards were different shapes! Imagine a different shape for each character's board, mostly modelled after the logo of their franchise, but with different designs for characters from the same franchise. So, for example, Mario's board could be shaped like a mushroom, and Peach's could be shaped like a crown. This way, combined boards would be a lot more interesting because they'd be some zany combination of shapes, instead of just being a circle with different-themed quarters. Think about it: the board you described would be a quarter of a warpstar, a quarter of a bow and arrow, a quarter of a sword, and a quarter of, say, a Pikachu head, all combined into one twisty, zigzaggy shape! Now how cool does THAT sound?

This mode would simply have to have online capability, so that people (especially those with a lot of amiibos) can host their own wacky boards, or play on others'.

Ooooh, thinking about all this is getting me excited! Now I'm starting to really want this to happen! ^^

All of the ideas we came up with are already much better than whatever Nintendo can come up with. However, given how ambitious these ideas are, and given how soon the NX would be released, Smash Party would very well be on the NX.

Smash Party would be the ultimate dream game great for playing with friends and family, as well as among Nintendo fans and non-fans alike. It would be what Mario Party should have been. With all of those minigames from other Nintendo games, it would easily have over 200 unique minigames and even a two-hour game would not be boring (while I find even 30-minute games on various versions of Mario Party boring).

Deucey Dee, those ideas are much better than what I have proposed and I especially like the different-shaped amiibo boards, as well as online play (in addition to local multiplayer).
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

On the subject of amiibo boards, wouldn't it be cool if they were divided into quadrants, and each of them are determined by the character used, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheese View Post
    On the subject of amiibo boards, wouldn't it be cool if they were divided into quadrants, and each of them are determined by the character used, or something?
    That's what Kirbinator and I have been saying, so yes, it sure would.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    All of the ideas we came up with are already much better than whatever Nintendo can come up with. However, given how ambitious these ideas are, and given how soon the NX would be released, Smash Party would very well be on the NX.

Smash Party would be the ultimate dream game great for playing with friends and family, as well as among Nintendo fans and non-fans alike. It would be what Mario Party should have been. With all of those minigames from other Nintendo games, it would easily have over 200 unique minigames and even a two-hour game would not be boring (while I find even 30-minute games on various versions of Mario Party boring).
    Well, I don't know about all that. At the most, I would say it's better than what they have come up, but only because such wishful ideas often are. However, "ultimate dream game" couldn't be more accurate, so I'm with you there.

Deucey Dee, those ideas are much better than what I have proposed and I especially like the different-shaped amiibo boards, as well as online play (in addition to local multiplayer).
    Thanks! I just really like coming up with ideas, and, safe to say, I'm pretty good at it. The tradeoff is, I have almost zero skill in fulfilling said ideas.

Anyway, in the first post you said something about players "using their Smash Bros. skills" in the boss and mini-boss battles. Could you perhaps elaborate on what you meant by that?

Deucey Dee, what I meant by using Smash Bros. skills for miniboss and boss battles is that players would beat up them up as if it were a part of Smash Bros. (think boss rush in Subspace Emissary, except with four players at once and only one boss at a time, except for the true final boss). However, the player who deals the final blow would get bonus points, just like in Mario Party 10.

Master Hand and Crazy Hand would be good final minibosses, while Tabuu or Master Core would be good final bosses.
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!

Ah, I see. Straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    Master Hand and Crazy Hand would be good final minibosses, while Tabuu or Master Core would be good final bosses.
    Or, what if we came up with an original character for the final boss? Some kind of board-game entity, that would be the one responsible for the Smash World and Nintendo worlds having been turned into game boards. And that, my friend, is the making of a plot for a Story Mode.

Thread Information