Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U tourney!

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

The Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U tourney!

The tourney has ended! Congratulations to the winner and thank you all for joining!

The final results!

Spoiler: The rules we used 
    Last edited by Zant; May 20th, 2015 at 06:20 AM.

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

Re: The Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U tourney!

I'm signing up! I'll offer my thoughts on stages later on.

- I agree with all stages on the current banlist and on the current safe stages list.

- I say we ban all walkoffs, I don't want anyone getting annoyed with me for abusing the power of backthrows :P

Went through the list and ? for yes or to decide and BAN on the ones I think should be banned

- Big battlefield (little big but we could keep it) ?
    - Boxing ring (ban for walkoff) BAN
    - Eldin Bridge (walkoff) BAN
    - Castle Siege (No objections) ?
    - Coliseum (Ban for walkoff) BAN
    - Gamer (Ban for the mom) BAN
    - Garden of Hope (that horrible bridge please ban) BAN
    - Gaur Plain (You could keep it but it'd be better to ban because its big and metal face) BAN
    - Halberd (No objections) ?
    - Jungle Hijinx (I'd prefer this to be banned but up to you all) BAN
    - Kalos Pokemon League (Would probably be okay...) ?
    - Kongo Jungle (No objections) ?
    - Luigi's Mansion (I find the pillars annoying on this stage but it doesn't have to be banned) BAN
    - Lylat Cruise (No objections) ?
    - Mario Circuit (Ban, walkoff, shy guys) BAN
    - Mario Galaxy (Probably ban for walkoff) BAN
    - Mushroom Kingdom U (Ban for nabbit 1 hit kill and icicles) BAN
    - Norfair (*shrug*) ?
    - Onett (Love the stage but should ban for small blast zones) BAN
    - Orbital Gate Assault (this stage is awkward please ban) BAN
    - Pacland (Scrolling walkoff, please ban) BAN
    - PilotWings (up to you guys I think it'd be okay) ?
    - Pokemon Stadium 2 (either way) ?
    - Skyloft (Probably ban for walkoff) BAN
    - Skyworld (ban? easy deaths by breakable floor make this uncomfortable) BAN?
    - Wii Fit Studio (ban for walkoff) BAN
    - Windy Hill Zone (Hope this is banned its strangely laid out as said) BAN
    - Wrecking Crew (Ban for chaotic bombs/hazards) BAN
    - Wuhu Island (Agree to ban for enviroment bounces and the ness downthrow instakill ship glitch) BAN
    - Yoshi Island Melee (it is weird, could ban) ?
    - Yoshi Woolly World ( ban because walkoff) BAN
    - Custom stages (BAN for obvious reasons) BAN

sorry I disagree with so many stages xD I just don't like hazards

Other Questions:
    Are we banning customs altogether and are we allowing custom moves? I'm pretty impartial as long as we ban the insta-kill Olimar custom move.

Loser's stage pick is a setting in the game, correct?
    Last edited by PowerMiner; April 6th, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Smash WiiU Challenges: 139/140 JUST 40 SOMETHING CUSTOM MOVES LEFT
    Smash 3DS Challenges: 133/135

Quote Originally Posted by PowerMiner View Post
    Sure thing!

Oh, mods? Seems I posted this in the wrong subforum, could this be moved to the Smash Dojo, please?

I want that forum to DIE. Just make that happen. Keeby's Avatar

I'll join this. I think Lylat Cruise looks pretty safe for the most part, only problem I ever encountered was when I broke someones sheild one time, the entire stage tilted and that person fell through.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

Castle Seige, Skyloft, and Lylat are all perfectly fine for competitive play.

I could see some arguments made against Skyloft and Castle Seige (if you're allowing Delphino they're only about as bad as that) but honestly there isn't any reason why Lylat shouldn't be a counterpick stage. The ledges are evil, fine, but the stage doesn't have any real unfairness besides having to get used to the ledges.
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

Coolness, sign me up!
    But a fair warning: I don't always have access to my Wii U. I don't want to say why, but I don't. So please understand, if that's okay. But it's only on some weekends and Mondays, so it's not too bad.

Also I say to ban Mush Kingdom U. Maybe Gamer as well, but for me 5Volt can be a neat hazard to knock foes into.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Imma see if I can fit this into my schedule. Don't be surprised if I can't, but Imma try.
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

I think you can sign me up! I haven't done anything remotely like this since we had the pokemon online tourneys a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerMiner View Post

- I agree with all stages on the current banlist and on the current safe stages list.

- I say we ban all walkoffs, I don't want anyone getting annoyed with me for abusing the power of backthrows :P

Went through the list and ? for yes or to decide and BAN on the ones I think should be banned

Spoiler: stages 

sorry I disagree with so many stages xD I just don't like hazards

Other Questions:
    Are we banning customs altogether and are we allowing custom moves? I'm pretty impartial as long as we ban the insta-kill Olimar custom move.

Loser's stage pick is a setting in the game, correct?
    Yep, I know all 'bout the problems that come with walk-off stages. I'd like to hear more people on it if they see the 'power of back throw' as a legimate strategy or something they'd rather not have to face, haha.
    As for custom moves, good question, I had forgotten those. Considering how much of a pain these are to get compared to SSB3DS I'm inclined to ban them, but if other people are fine with it, then it's fine by me. And obviously any instant-kill or infinite combo exploits are totally forbidden, but this goes without saying.
    Losers Pick is not an option in online play, so after a match you will have to contact your opponent(probably though PM's or VM's) to decide upon what stage is next.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonSP View Post
    Castle Seige, Skyloft, and Lylat are all perfectly fine for competitive play.

I could see some arguments made against Skyloft and Castle Seige (if you're allowing Delphino they're only about as bad as that) but honestly there isn't any reason why Lylat shouldn't be a counterpick stage. The ledges are evil, fine, but the stage doesn't have any real unfairness besides having to get used to the ledges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeby View Post
    I'll join this. I think Lylat Cruise looks pretty safe for the most part, only problem I ever encountered was when I broke someones sheild one time, the entire stage tilted and that person fell through.
    Thanks, I'll put Castle Siege, Skyloft and Lylat Cruise in the safe section then. If the professional folks are fine with those, I don't think all you folks will have problems with them either.
    Oh, Brandon, did you forget to sign up or are you just helping out?

Quote Originally Posted by OshaliteX2 View Post
    Coolness, sign me up!
    But a fair warning: I don't always have access to my Wii U. I don't want to say why, but I don't. So please understand, if that's okay. But it's only on some weekends and Mondays, so it's not too bad.

Also I say to ban Mush Kingdom U. Maybe Gamer as well, but for me 5Volt can be a neat hazard to knock foes into.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiGHTcapD View Post
    Imma see if I can fit this into my schedule. Don't be surprised if I can't, but Imma try.
    Okay, but Osha, you delayed the previous tournament quite a bit, so I will put you on a shorter leash. Do not try to mess up like back then. And for Nightcap, if you can't fight, be sure to say early so we can find a replacement fast.
    I will also ban Mush Kingdom U since both you and Powerminer are against it, and I doubt there's many who will be against this.

I think I could improve my 1-on-1 skills more if I signed up for this, so count me in! (I promise I'll be less of a hindrance this time.)

Just a curious question, though: Are we only allowed one character for the whole tourney? Or are we allowed to pick multiple? And if we are allowed multiple, what's the limit?
    Last edited by Redandgreen43; April 6th, 2015 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redandgreen43 View Post
    I think I could improve my 1-on-1 skills more if I signed up for this, so count me in! (I promise I'll be less of a hindrance this time.)

Just a curious question, though: Are we only allowed one character for the whole tourney? Or are we allowed to pick multiple? And if we are allowed multiple, what's the limit?
    You're allowed to pick multiple, no problem. Want to pick a different character for all 3 games? Sure thing, go ahead.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zant View Post
    Thanks, I'll put Castle Siege, Skyloft and Lylat Cruise in the safe section then. If the professional folks are fine with those, I don't think all you folks will have problems with them either.
    Oh, Brandon, did you forget to sign up or are you just helping out?
    Um, I suppose I could join? Idk I'm basically only free to do this on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonSP View Post
    Um, I suppose I could join? Idk I'm basically only free to do this on weekends.
    Should be fine, I reckon most folks would rather play in the weekends, plus I won't put an end date for when the tourney starts.

Welcome aboard!

I want to line the pieces up. Yours... and mine. Luigiguy78's Avatar

It's on like Donkey Kong. I'm in

Let the sun shine on the Ice gym!
    Managed to defeat Keeby's fire gym!

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

as long as I don't have to fight Yoshistar's Yoshi I MEAN

I guess I could join. Hopefully I can get a little farther than last tourney.

I am joining too, btw what are the rules for characters this time? Last time we could choose 3 that we could use throughout the tourney. Also when is the tournament starting? I want to know as I might want to play as Mewtwo.
    Well here is my take on a custom Signature in relation to the new character reveals in Smash. Except Sheik, Sheik had to be cut so I wouldn't block anyone off while using this as a facebook cover.

Super Smash Bros 3DS Bracket http://challonge.com/COMEONSTEPITUP Tournament now over. Bracket still available for viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthTalon5 View Post
    I am joining too, btw what are the rules for characters this time? Last time we could choose 3 that we could use throughout the tourney. Also when is the tournament starting? I want to know as I might want to play as Mewtwo.
    You're allowed to pick multiple, no problem. Want to pick a different character for all 3 games? Sure thing, go ahead.

You can enter this tournament until 20/4 or if it reaches 32 participants

But as for Mewtwo, I dunno. At the 20th only some people will have him... I think it might be more fair to ban him from the tourney? I'd like ta hear thoughts on Mewtwo. Lemme put that in the opening post.

In my opinion, I think you should just ban Mewtwo. Not everybody's gonna have him when he comes out, so it would give the Mewtwo player an unfair advantage.

Boke...but I don't know when it is. I have to know when this is so as to know early.
    I suppose I might as well put one here, all the cool kids are doing it (not to judge, but so are some not-so-cool kids).

Gonna go ahead and post here that http://www.smashladder.com/ is a nice place for setting up matches. So long as both participants have accounts of course. It lets you fairly go through the whole pick/ban stages thing and also ensures that people don't get into endless character counterpicking loops.

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

I shall join. Perhaps I'll even win a match this time.

If we are taking out some walk off stages, might as well take them all out. Otherwise I'll just say whether a stage should be kept.

Big Battlefield (is big) Yes
    Gamer (Very strong but predictable 5Volt) Very predictable so Yes
    Garden of Hope (Instant kill bridge, very strong but predictable Peckish Aristocrab) Very predictable so Yes
    Gaur Plain (pretty big, strong but predictable Metal Face) There is walk off here so No
    Halberd (weak homing hazard, strong but predictable hazards) No
    Jungle Hijinx (that gimmick) Makes the match harder to see, not to mention that gimmick is deadly so No
    Kalos Pokemon League (many predictable hazards of varied strenghts) Rayquaza and the whole Flood Chamber so No
    Kongo Jungle (slightly unpredictable barrel) Yes
    Luigi's Mansion (blocking pillars, ceilings) Ceilings prolong the match way too much so No
    Mario Circuit (Shyguy racers, bounce off enviroment, most notable a ceiling part that racks up damage like crazy) Haven't played it enough
    Norfair (many lava hazards, but weak and predictable) No
    Orbital Gate Assault (awkard transitions, explosions everywhere) No
    PilotWings (awkward transition, sections where you bounce off the enviroment, tilting stage) Haven't played it enough
    Pokemon Stadium 2 (low gravity section) Yes
    Skyworld (breakable, ceiling) Ceilings break easily so Yes
    Windy Hill Zone (strange layout) Yes
    Wrecking Crew (chaotic) Also too large so No
    Wuhu Island (sections where you bounce off the enviroment) Haven't played it enough

I'm fine with keeping Mewtwo as long as it isn't deemed broken after release. Alternatively, keep Mewtwo restricted to only 1 of the 3 matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

id like to enter this. as for rules, i would suggest 3 stocks with an 8 minute timer, allow mewtwo, allow customs but no equipment

for stages:

Suspect Stages:
    Big Battlefield (is big) Allow, the size isnt that much of an issue
    Boxing Ring (walkoff, falling lamps) BAN
    Bridge of Eldin (bomb, walkoff, when broken, stalls the game) BAN
    Coliseum(walkoff) BAN
    Gamer (Very strong but predictable 5Volt) BAN
    Garden of Hope (Instant kill bridge, very strong but predictable Peckish Aristocrab) BAN
    Gaur Plain (pretty big, strong but predictable Metal Face) BAN
    Halberd (weak homing hazard, strong but predictable hazards) Allow, the hazards in this stage actually tend to make things more interesting
    Jungle Hijinx (that gimmick) BAN
    Kalos Pokemon League (many predictable hazards of varied strenghts) BAN
    Kongo Jungle (slightly unpredictable barrel) Allow, the barrel isnt that much of a problem
    Luigi's Mansion (blocking pillars, ceilings) BAN
    Mario Circuit (Shyguy racers, bounce off enviroment, most notable a ceiling part that racks up damage like crazy) BAN
    Mario Circuit Brawl (Shyguy racers, walkoff) BAN
    Mario Galaxy(Walkoff) BAN
    Norfair (many lava hazards, but weak and predictable) BAN
    Onett (Small, walkoff, cars) BAN
    Orbital Gate Assault (awkard transitions, explosions everywhere) BAN
    Pacland (small, walkoff, hazardous) BAN
    PilotWings (awkward transition, sections where you bounce off the enviroment, tilting stage) BAN
    Pokemon Stadium 2 (low gravity section) BAN
    Skyworld (breakable, ceiling) BAN, but not cause of the breakable platforms thing but because of certain ways the layout can be used to do very broken things
    Wii Fit Studio (Walkoff) BAN
    Windy Hill Zone (strange layout) BAN
    Wrecking Crew (chaotic) BAN
    Wuhu Island (sections where you bounce off the enviroment) BAN
    Yoshi Island Melee (weird layout, pit in middle, walkoff to the right, campy ramp to the left) BAN
    Yoshi Woolly World (walkoff) BAN

and from the safe stages, i actually object to castle siege because of potentially deadly stage transformations, as well as one of the forms being a walkoff. if it does end up being allowed it will be on my personal bans list for the whole tourney
    Last edited by astroninja1; April 6th, 2015 at 10:32 PM.

I'm going to tentatively join, until a date and time is announced. Weekend is fine for me. Haven't done a tourney in a while, so I'm looking forward to it!

I'd say the rules and stagelist should be largely the same as the rules from APEX 2015 (except the 2 stocks and 6 minutes rule, which I'm not too big on), which is:

Neutral/Starters (no characters have large advantages/disadvantages on any stage; always the stage for the first game):
    • Battlefield
    • Final Destination
    • Smashville

Counterpicks (some characters have some advantages/disadvantages over others; can only be picked after first game):
    • Town & City
    • Duck Hunt
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Delfino Plaza
    • Halberd
    • Castle Siege
    • Omega Stages

Personally, I'm fine with really any stagelist, so long as the obvious bans stay banned. Some other contenders for Counterpicks are also Pokemon Stadium 2, Skyloft, and Wuhu Island, but they have some problems that makes them universally banned in most competitive rulesets. PS2 would be it's low gravity section, Skyloft would be it's damaging background when transitioning, and Wuhu Island has a few glitches and some wonky layouts.

Will there be a stage banning process as well? As in, the winner of the match bans a stage and the loser picks? That is also common for competitive. (By the way, banning FD bans Omegas and vice versa)

An 8 minute timer would also be great, so no matches drag on for an eternity due to camping. And in the event of Sudden Death, the general rule for that is that rather than playing out the actual sudden death, players will play on the same stage with the same characters with 1 stock and 2 (or was it 3?) minutes on the timer. This is mostly due to the random nature of sudden death's bomb drops.

I'm torn on customs. I personally support customs, but I can see why it'd be unfair in an online tournament, since not every player is guaranteed to have customs. Plus, it's harder to verify whether or not your opponent is also using equipment, which should be outright banned. Same goes for Mewtwo, since not everyone may have him. But for now, I'd say allow customs and Mewtwo.

Those are my two cents. I'm a competitive player, but I'm open to any rulesets.

Oh, and Challonge is a great site for managing brackets for tourneys. I recommend you use this.

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    as long as I don't have to fight Yoshistar's Yoshi I MEAN

I guess I could join. Hopefully I can get a little farther than last tourney.
    aw come on </3

As long as this tourney is handled better than the last one, I'll join. Though just a heads-up: I had to downgrade my Internet, so there may be a chance I might cause lag. Hopefully it won't be too big of a deal since these are 1v1s, though.

Twitch / YouTube / Livestream (old)
    Yoshistar Galaxy - Streaming good ol' Nintendo shenanigans for all to watch and enjoy!

I sign up.

Thread Information