Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix is Making another Zelda tv show

The Villager of Death

Netflix is Making another Zelda tv show

What.

There isn't much info yet, but if Link talks I think I'm gonna murder the people who work at Netflix.

And what the heck is with Netflix buying all these trademarked characters all of a sudden (Puss and boots, King Julien, etc.) and making them into animated series?

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Netflix is Making another Zelda tv show

If Link talks, good. Silent protags only work in video games. Can you imagine watching a TV show with a main lead that can't &&&&ing communicate?

Hope it'll be good. If not, oh well. If it is, then yay, we have some more Zelda &&&&.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

"You, Mario, will be a sign." Scolipede's Avatar

You know, maybe a silent protagonist wouldn't be so bad.

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    If Link talks, good. Silent protags only work in video games. Can you imagine watching a TV show with a main lead that can't &&&&ing communicate?

Hope it'll be good. If not, oh well. If it is, then yay, we have some more Zelda &&&&.
    Which is why a Zelda tv show shouldn't be made. The problem with making a show out of a silent protagonist is that the voice that's chosen is going to be mocked and ridiculed.

And as far as a main lead that can't communicate, not talking doesn't mean they can't communicate. Ever watched the Pink Panther? He doesn't talk, but you can still tell what the heck is going on without much confusion.

What really angers me is that NETFLIX is doing this, and like I said they're doing a pretty crappy job with Puss in boots and Madagascar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scolipede View Post

You know, maybe a silent protagonist wouldn't be so bad.
    My point exactly.
    Although he WAS a pretty badass guy:
    Last edited by The Villager of Death; February 8th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Quote Originally Posted by The Villager of Death View Post
    Which is why a Zelda tv show shouldn't be made. The problem with making a show out of a silent protagonist is that the voice that's chosen is going to be mocked and ridiculed.
    yes, they will be made fun of.

By people who can't realize that it's a completely different medium and they need to stop holding onto the trappings of another one, instead of realizing they're completely different works and acting like it's blasphemy.

No one who's interested in critiquing the new Zelda show will attack his voice actor by virtue of existing.

And as far as a main lead that can't communicate, not talking doesn't mean they can't communicate. Ever watched the Pink Panther? He doesn't talk, but you can still tell what the heck is going on without much confusion.
    Caveat: I have not seen the Pink Panther.

However, was the character able to develop and have emotional depth? Was he able to take part in a larger storyline? Did he help push the plot forward?

A silent protagonist/cast might work in those kinds of 70s children's shows, but it won't if you looking for a more in-depth plot.

What really angers me is that NETFLIX is doing this, and like I said they're doing a pretty crappy job with Puss in boots and Madagascar.
    Netflix isn't making this. They're producing this. Completely different things.

You can only really judge a show's pedigree when they say what animation studio's behind this, people involved, etc.

And even beyond that, fine, some netflix shows are &&&&. Some netflix shows (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black) become critical darlings and awardbait.

Please don't ignore information for the sake of your point.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The voice won't be mocked if they actually treat the series with respect and actually find a suitable voice actor. "Link shouldn't have a voice" as we point to terrible saturday morning cartoons and games not even made by Nintendo is inherently ridiculous, especially because gaming wasn't an even marginally respected medium then. The fear of Link having a voice rests entirely with people being afraid of change - if they actually find someone talented and write good, believable dialogue for Link, there will be no problem.

And yeah. Who knows if Nintendo will find a good voice actor, look at what they did with Samus and how they replaced Jennifer Hale with that talentless no-name in Other M. But if it is done right, the only reason to feasibly complain would be if you're a purist who thinks Link should always be mute (and news flash - the games always imply that he DOES talk. We just don't hear him unless he's screaming).
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

Well, none of this is confirmed.

Also, we're all assuming it will be animated? I mean, it likely will, but since we have no information about it, we can't assume anything.

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

I'm going to hold off on judging this kind of thing until I see it. What really makes or breaks a show for me is how well it tells stories or if it has likable characters. Not sure how well Zelda will do on those ends, since with my personal experience with the games I'm drawing a blank for possible character-ness.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

I understand everything now Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

Why does everybody keep saying it'll be animated? The article said live action. Although I guess it's an understandable mistake since we keep talking about the voice.

But yeah, Link should talk. I wouldn't want to go through an entire tv series where the main character doesn't talk, or even have someone talk for them. it works for video games because that allows for us to immerse ourselves into the game and put ourselves in the shoes of the silent hero.

Also you can't be serious about bringing up the old Zelda cartoon as some sort of proof that a talking Link would be awful.
    Nintendo Network ID - drbeardfasay
    3DS Friend Code: 1375 7270 4335

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

So I'm the only person who actually liked the old Zelda cartoon and thought the characters were much more fun than the canon portrayals? ...Anyone? Come on, at least admit that their rendition of the main theme was badass.

But yeah, just to concur, Link not talking would almost certainly be disastrous. Besides, Link's always been implied to talk in canon, with people responding to him and dialogue trees and whatnot. It's so strange that people never seem to remember that and treat Link's muteness as an INDISPUTABLE PIECE OF CANON.

To be honest, the greater problem this team will face is the fact that Links in the series (and most Zeldas) have very little personality to speak of. Not to say they couldn't come up with some great things, but there's not a lot to draw from in the games themselves. Here's hoping Nintendo gives them plenty of freedom to expand, compress, and otherwise play with canon as they see fit.
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Another thing I did remember - the screams Link makes are another proof that he does have a voice. He's not "mute", he wouldn't be able to make those sounds if he was, they just don't have the guy making the screams voice anything. He just hasn't actually outright spoken words that we hear (but he has spoken words - those dialogue options you select are him responding)... except for Wind Waker Link, who says "Come on!" when you're in the dungeons that use the command medley and you're calling the statue/Medli/Makar to follow you.

Not to beat a dead horse, but really. Having a mute lead character wouldn't work in live action unless they're meant to speak via sign language or something. Link has to talk if this actually comes to fruition.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

Yeah, I am not really sure where the "mute Link" view came from;
    Though I guess when people say silent, they don't always mean mute. (which can get confusing.)

As for the show... (if it was confirmed to be real.)
    I got mixed feelings, as it could go either way...
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

WIIIIIIIIIITCHCRAAAAAAAAA AAAAAFT Kage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzle044 View Post
    Yeah, I am not really sure where the "mute Link" view came from;
    Though I guess when people say silent, they don't always mean mute. (which can get confusing.)

As for the show... (if it was confirmed to be real.)
    I got mixed feelings, as it could go either way...
    I personally am reluctant to go either way on this as well.
    Once (if?) it does happen, then I'll naturally check it out.
    As for Link not talking... there is no conceivable way that could be portrayed well on a TV show. If you already don't think the show is going to be good, then why do you think a silent protag could be handled well? There are just too many ways that could go horribly, horribly wrong. A sickening sympathy angle being one of them.
    *smiles evilly as only I can*

The Villager of Death

I'm not a "purist" who doesn't want to see Link talk because "THATS TE WHEY IT IZ IN DE GAEMZ!!1!", just in the past finding any voice actor for most previously silent video game characters has has some disastrous results.

But hey, it could be AMAZING for all I know. But so far Netlfix is sort of having a pattern of buying beloved children's characters and dishing out some crap with their name slapped on it.
    COUGH COUGH VEGGIETALES COUGH COUGH

From what I've heard(never watched it), but didn't Samurai Jack have a mostly mute protagonist, or at least, had minimal talking?

You're also forgetting this is the series where there is a consistent companion that speaks for him. They just need minimal speech for Link. Outside of that, characters like Navi, Tatl, Midna, King of the Red Lions, Proxi, Fi have generally conveyed what needs to be said and the same can go here. Link gets enough speech to define who he is, and let his actions speak the rest.

Also the assumption I'm seeing is that Link would be the main focus of the series, but based on what it's using as a foundation, it would be the exact opposite from what I understand about Game of Thrones. Just one piece of a bigger picture. He'll be the main character sure, but most likely won't have as much screentime as everyone here seems to think.

Either way, at some point, Link, and the rest of the cast, are most likely going to pick up proper voice acting. Might as well get used to it(although if you don't think Nintendo won't have a close eye on the project you're crazy)

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Torchman View Post
    From what I've heard(never watched it), but didn't Samurai Jack have a mostly mute protagonist, or at least, had minimal talking?
    Oh yeah, I forgot all about that one! Now that you mention it, he did usually talk at least once per episode, but only when it really had plot significance, like
    "My... Home..." when he found the remains of his hometown.

It seems to make logical sense he would talk fairly minimally, but like I said: we have to wait and find out what happens.

Moving on to more baseless speculation, I wonder what era the series will take place in. Will it be based on a specific game, or will it be an original story? I also wonder what actor they could get to play Link, it'd depend on what they're adapting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Moving on to more baseless speculation, I wonder what era the series will take place in. Will it be based on a specific game, or will it be an original story? I also wonder what actor they could get to play Link, it'd depend on what they're adapting.
    They key thing that needs to be decided first is if it's young Link, teen link or adult link. And if it's family oriented... I think Majora isn't going to be involved for sure.

The Villager of Death

They key thing that needs to be decided first is if it's young Link, teen link or adult link. And if it's family oriented... I think Majora isn't going to be involved for sure.
    Anyone who remembers my previous username (deku_link) will know just how I feel about that.

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar

With the Zelda Manga in mind, I don't see a problem with Link talking or having a more defined characterization than he does in the games, but there are some other things that rub me the wrong way about this project:

- First and foremost, why the &&&& is this actually live action and not animated? With all those very anime-esque visuals, Zelda would look and work great as an anime or at least a cartoon series. But no, instead, they need to make this into some sort of Game of Thrones thing, being realistic but still bright enough for families. Right now I get the feeling this alone is a no-brainer.

- What exactly will the plot be centering around? In the games, the dungeons play a vital role, but having Link dungeon-crawl half of the series doesn't sound like incredibly deep storytelling (especially because of Point 1 - Link exploring the dungeon and fighting awesome monsters could be visually much more impressive if it'd be non-realistic and animated).

These two things are my main concerns right now. Maybe I'm wrong on this. Heck, I hope I'm wrong on this, but still, for these two reasons I wouldn't mind if this get actually axed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboalt View Post
    And yeah. Who knows if Nintendo will find a good voice actor, look at what they did with Samus and how they replaced Jennifer Hale with that talentless no-name in Other M.
    From what I've read, Jessica Martin, Samus' VA in Other M, isn't "talentless", her emotionless voice was just demanded by Sakamoto.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

I really don't understand why they say it's like game of thrones. Game of thrones is less about fantasy and more about political back stabbing and gray morality, the closest thing to an overarching bad guy being whatever lies in the north. Zelda is all about a singular characters battle against clearly defined evil. Either they just wanted to use a buzz word or it'll be pretty darn different from what we're expecting for zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by The Villager of Death View Post
    And as far as a main lead that can't communicate, not talking doesn't mean they can't communicate. Ever watched the Pink Panther? He doesn't talk, but you can still tell what the heck is going on without much confusion.]
    a ~6-10 minute cartoon relying primarily on slap stick humor isn't really comparable to a potentially story heavy, live action show.

Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    With the Zelda Manga in mind, I don't see a problem with Link talking or having a more defined characterization than he does in the games, but there are some other things that rub me the wrong way about this project:

- First and foremost, why the &&&& is this actually live action and not animated? With all those very anime-esque visuals, Zelda would look and work great as an anime or at least a cartoon series. But no, instead, they need to make this into some sort of Game of Thrones thing, being realistic but still bright enough for families. Right now I get the feeling this alone is a no-brainer.

- What exactly will the plot be centering around? In the games, the dungeons play a vital role, but having Link dungeon-crawl half of the series doesn't sound like incredibly deep storytelling (especially because of Point 1 - Link exploring the dungeon and fighting awesome monsters could be visually much more impressive if it'd be non-realistic and animated).

These two things are my main concerns right now. Maybe I'm wrong on this. Heck, I hope I'm wrong on this, but still, for these two reasons I wouldn't mind if this get actually axed again.

From what I've read, Jessica Martin, Samus' VA in Other M, isn't "talentless", her emotionless voice was just demanded by Sakamoto.
    Did we seriously bring Other M into this? The disaster was all Sakamoto's fault. He called the shots including VAing. We aren't going to talk about it.

Also yeah that's a bizarre choice. Considering the series is known for it's different art styles, that is REALLY bizarre. Maybe the Netflix higher ups have a hard on for TP style maybe?

And I feel like the dungeon crawling may have a counter balance to solving the problem. Some episodes focus on Link and his companion going through the dungeon, conversing, building character. Another could be that those episodes split the focus between Link in the dungeon and another party. So if he's at Death Mountain, the dungeon could have inscriptions or something on the walls detailing the history of the goron race, cutting to flashbacks every so often.

But still... those bosses are going to be VERY repetitive. Unless we get the great bosses which can communicate somewhat like Phantom Ganon, Ghirahim and a couple others, it is going to be a very rinse and repeat cycle. And I don't even want to think about how they look...

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

But still... those bosses are going to be VERY repetitive. Unless we get the great bosses which can communicate somewhat like Phantom Ganon, Ghirahim and a couple others, it is going to be a very rinse and repeat cycle. And I don't even want to think about how they look...
    Even full on monster bosses can be interesting if done right.
    The Giant Chuchu boss for example...

Here's a picture of the boss in game.
    http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content...h2-523x360.jpg

Now here's some official wallpaper.
    http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...89-400-437.jpg

As you can see the picture gives quite the dynamic,
    there could be a short chase scene, the hat bird guy could be shouting advice, directions, or be just plain panicking.
    You could also have Link trying all sorts of different weap-
    I see your point, since the bosses' weakness tends to always be the new equipment. (trying any other equipment would be painful to watch more than once...)
    Hmmm... it would quite interesting to see how boss fights will turn out.

-----------------------------------------
    -Now for a slightly off topic comment-

Oh yeah!
    All this talk of bosses reminds me...

It looks like Sony got a new director for a Shadow of the Colossus movie. (like five months ago actually, didn't hear about it till now.)
    Another game with a main character that doesn't talk. (much)
    I am also wondering how this one will turn out... if it's ever finished...
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzle044 View Post
    Even full on monster bosses can be interesting if done right.
    The Giant Chuchu boss for example...

Here's a picture of the boss in game.
    http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content...h2-523x360.jpg

Now here's some official wallpaper.
    http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...89-400-437.jpg

As you can see the picture gives quite the dynamic,
    there could be a short chase scene, the hat bird guy could be shouting advice, directions, or be just plain panicking.
    You could also have Link trying all sorts of different weap-
    I see your point, since the bosses' weakness tends to always be the new equipment. (trying any other equipment would be painful to watch more than once...)
    Hmmm... it would quite interesting to see how boss fights will turn out.

-----------------------------------------
    -Now for a slightly off topic comment-

Oh yeah!
    All this talk of bosses reminds me...

It looks like Sony got a new director for a Shadow of the Colossus movie. (like five months ago actually, didn't hear about it till now.)
    Another game with a main character that doesn't talk. (much)
    I am also wondering how this one will turn out... if it's ever finished...
    Bosses would ditch the weak points, or at least, would make it hard to repeat 3 times.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

You are aware we're talking 'bout a TV-show here, right? Having the hero face a powerful and intimidating monster is not exactly a thing that has never been done before in movies.

Either way, I'm a big big fan of Zelda and I'd greatly appreciate a good TV-show. Zelda's got enough characters, lore, action and all that good basic stuff ya need fer a good one. Can't say I trust this source much however, considering that it speaks of Live Action, and this would just be financially impossible what with the bigass world populated with all kinds of monsters and magics. Not to mention a realistic style ala Lord of the Rings would not fit Zelda too well either, I'd think. I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt, for I just don't believe Nintendo would think Live Action LoZ is a good idea.

Thread Information