Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fiend In Need

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

A Fiend In Need

On any other morning, Snapdragon Yamaguchi - pop starlet, model, and actress - would've been savouring a late breakfast, or perhaps swimming a lap or two in the complex’s indoor pool. As it was, though, she had neither of those luxuries. Instead she was pacing tightly around the dining room of her penthouse, clearly fuming. And she wasn't alone.

"Are you &&&&ing with me?" Her tone was rough, completely at odds with the bubbly idol persona she usually adopted in public. "First you tell me that magic is real, and now I'm supposed to believe that my life is in danger because of it? That’s just too damn much."

"Sorry, darlin'. That's just the way it is." The reply came from a man perched on a stool by the kitchen counter. He was an unusual visitor, not least because of the fact that his face was curiously ageless, and he could have been anywhere between eighteen and eighty years old. The more unsettling thing was the sort of subtle wrongness which clung to him, which was hard to put into words; it could best be described as an unshakeable sense that he didn't belong in this world. "The Fiends' Court will be after you for sure, and I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Magicians' Court either."

"This is nuts," the girl said flatly, cutting to the point. "And I don't understand any of it."

"Best get someone to explain it to you, then. It'd be an awful shame for you to die without realising just what you've stumbled into."

It sank in, then, that he didn't sound like he was joking.

"Damn," she said, trying to keep her tone light. "That's the first and last time I try to help someone, then, if this is what it gets me."

"Oh, it won't be all bad." The man showed his teeth in a fashion which she wasn't stupid enough to call a smile. "I promise."

With that, he vanished from sight. Left on her own, she collapsed onto a chair. Her mind raced frantically, left with more questions than answers, and now with a mounting sense that she was in serious trouble. She liked to think she was no stranger to risk, but even this was way out of her depth.

"Well, &&&&," she muttered. "I'm going to need bodyguards."

A Fiend In Need

STARRING:
    Lenore as Snapdragon Yamaguchi
    Eruedraith as Konstantin de Phantis
    BrandonSP as Henry Thanatopsis
    SSBBrawler as Aaron Ryans
    Lightningboalt as Kurt Ostrowski and Aorta
    Chiffon as Ryuuko Nagao

Spoiler: Background information 
    Last edited by Lenore; January 31st, 2015 at 11:32 PM.

Re: A Fiend In Need

Beverley Hills, California
    Present Day

The beachfront was packed, and with good reason. A crowd of thousands had shown up when Snapdragon Yamaguchi, global teenage darling, had announced an impromptu concert, and word had spread like wildfire. She landed the last notes of "Daisuki, Say You'd Die For Me" without a single misstep, and finished with a flourish. The applause was deafening, but she merely smiled cutely and waved. They weren't here for any other reason, after all.

"Snapdragon, everyone!" A local news anchor approached her, microphone in hand, and had to wait a good thirty seconds until the audience calmed down. "I have to say, I was as surprised as anyone when I heard about your show today. Is there some kind of occasion?"

"Hai, I'm afraid so," she said, adopting a vaguely contrite expression. "Gomenasai, mina-san, but from today I'll be on hiatus. This was my farewell."

Shock rippled through the crowd; murmurs of incredulity and disappointment and even, she could've sworn, the muffled sound of sobbing. She only bowed her head and clasped her hands even more tightly, the very picture of apology.

"This is so sudden," the anchor said, looking genuinely puzzled. "You know best, of course, and we trust your judgment. Still, you'll be sorely missed."

He probably believed it, but she was less sure. Granted, she'd single-handedly carved out a niche for a certain saccharine brand of idol-style J-pop in the west, but she didn't think that meant much. (It helped that she was only half-Japanese, which made her white enough to be both popular and unthreatening). She had many imitators who would love this news and try to move to fill the gap, and then the moe juggernaut would roll on.

"Thank you for everything, my tomodachis," she said, and bowed once more. Then she slipped away backstage before they could mob her; a limousine was waiting there, and she hurried inside. "Drive," she told her chauffeur shortly, sprawling back in a thoroughly undignified manner.

Soon they were tearing down Santa Monica Boulevard, and her thoughts turned to the meeting she had in under an hour. She'd slowly come around to the idea of taking a break from showbiz, she hadn't really expected the pressure to come in the form of warring magical factions. She was yet to meet any of her future bodyguards personally - all had been sourced through some of her shadier connections - and she hoped they'd be bearable people. Or competent, anyway, since that was what she was paying for.

Her vulnerable face, magnified a thousandfold, smouldered from a billboard overlooking the highway. She remembered the shoot well; it had been to promote a fragrance, and her manager had basically needed to strongarm her into it. Makeup she could understand the purpose of, but perfume served a far less important use, especially when most people knew you by sight and not smell. "Aishi~teru," the advert read, "by Snapdragon". Which, as far as she was concerned, was a thoroughly moronic name - what was the point of that swirly thing (tilde? tilda?) anyway? - but it sold regardless.

Snapdragon's driver dropped her outside her complex, where she let herself in and caught the lift up to the penthouse. Her guests-slash-protectors would be arriving within fifteen minutes, which meant she had plenty of time to spare. She checked her outfit once more, making sure everything was perfectly in place before they arrived. Her pink lolita-style dress sat perfectly on her, right down to every ribbon (even if it was significantly lower-cut than the style strictly allowed), and her trademark oversized bow perched gently atop her head. Her makeup, too, was flawless, and she gave herself a pass. Then she took a seat at the head of her dining table and settled back to wait, preparing to buzz her guests in as they arrived.

ACT ONE: FAIR-WEATHER FIENDS
    Last edited by Lenore; January 31st, 2015 at 11:32 PM.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

An older-looking man gazed down at the map in his hand. He had scrawled it down with a shaky, unsteady hand, resulting in jagged lines and words that would be almost illegible to anyone unaccustomed to his handwriting. After a brief moment of his eyes darting around the map, he looked around him to determine his location relative to the map. After a few moments of confusion, he managed to place himself only a few minutes from his ultimate destination. He folded his map before placing it back into the inside pocket of his coat. He proceeded to walk in the correct direction, and if anyone were to look at him while he passed through the yellowed light of the street lamps above, they would see an old man struggling to walk up a hill. It would be a pitiable sight, so he took a small relief that no one would be out at this time.

He thought back to how he had learned about this job. After all, the position of bodyguard for a super idol wasn't one announced to the general public. As he thought about it, he couldn't be quite sure where the letter would have come from. The Magician's Court had given up on him a few years ago, due to his deterioration, so it was unlikely that it would be an official letter from him. If it had been one of his friends, they would have signed the note with their best regards. With a sigh, he figured that the job would be beneficial. It would be unlikely that he was the only bodyguard hired, so he would be able to help young magicians learn the powers, and dangers, of magic.

As he rounded the corner, he at last came into view of his ultimate destination. By this point, the hill had taken more out of him than he would care to admit, as evidenced by labored breathing as he struggled to reach the building. The final stretch felt like the longest, but he made it to the gate of the grandiose condo building. Gripping his cane, he pressed the button that presumably announced his presence. Without waiting for a reply, he spoke aloud in a surprisingly clear voice, "This is Aaron Ryans."

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Konstantin de Phantis found himself in a situation that he would have happily shamed one of his relatives for being in: standing towards the back of a crowd, surrounded by cheering, improper fans salivating at the sight of their goddess. He shoved away an especially enthusiastic worshiper and dove into the heart of the crowd, grumbling to himself.

"No class, no regard for self, no taste," he seethed. The crowd around him sang along with the idol's last song, while he tried to get a better look at his prospective employer.

Employer! Him! An employee!

"De Phantises do not get employed," he said, slipping into English. His grasp of English was nothing short of perfect - Father made sure of that - but sometimes Russian was just better.

Scratch that, it was always better.

He was only able to get a look at Snapdragon after she made her announcement, and that was because the shock had made a particularly tall and large fan topple over in shock, mouthing something about Snapdragon-sama-senpai-chan. "&&&&ing Americans," he said, now in English.

Okay, so the curses aren't bad here, at least. He got a feeling that he'd be using a lot of them, too, because this Snapdragon - the woman looking for magical bodyguards - was just a girl.

"&&&&!" he snapped again, before mastering himself. De Phantises don't have fits like toddlers on vacation, either, he rebuked himself. So, he contented himself with looking down at the collapsed fan and quickly diagnosing him.

Heart palpitations, maybe characteristic of later cardiac arrests. Not enough exercise and far too much junk food, if he was going to let his personal bias influence the diagnosis. The fan didn't look like he'd been out of his house very much that year, and lacked the characteristic Californian sheen that the rest of the crowd had. If Konstantin had to guess, this kind of public outing was a rarity for the fan.

It will be even rarer after today's debacle, Konstantin thought to himself, stepping away from the man and slowly fighting his way through the crowd. It's rough, finding out your goddess is nothing but a flash-in-the-pan pop sensation.

In the old days, he could have just signaled his chaffeur and they'd be whisked away to wherever Konstantin desired.

Today, however...

"Taxi," he said, raising a hand as he reached the road. No cars stopped.

"Taxi!"
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

A number of months ago

Somewhere in Japan, snowflakes danced through the air, children ran around throwing snowballs at each other, and crude yet cute snowmen decorated the streets. Life was good! 'Maybe... this is what true peace is like,' though a woman who was observing the scene from a nearby park's bench. At a first glance, she looked threatening, what with all of her clothes - a combination of dress shirts, pants, and shoes, as well as a blazer and a scarf - being completely black, and her hair being a dark, bushy mess that encroached into her face... but yet, a kind aura surrounded her, and a simple smile was always on her face whenever she talked to anyone. Indeed, in this part of town, a certain Ushio Shijima was known for being one of the nicest and most helpful people around - something that she would never admit out loud, but was secretly a little proud of.

'...hm? Deja vu?' For some reason, this moment seemed quite familiar, even though she was sure she hadn't sat in this particular bench in a while. 'Oh well.' Sighing, Ushio got up and crossed the street, into a convenience store on the other side. The place was small, but she enjoyed its familiar mood.

Upon entering, she was greeted by an ever-cheerful "Welcome! ...ah, hey, ms. Shijima!" said by the cashier - a young woman, no older than 20 or so, and obviously foreign, though her Japanese was very good. Ushio, in return, replied with her usual "Hello, Liz," and proceeded to get the things in her shopping list: milk, rum raisin-flavored Häagen-Dazs, half a dozen bananas, and a box of Pocky, which she opened as soon as it was done being scanned. Taking a bite of one of the sticks, she seemed to stop for a moment to think about something, before asking "Did Ryuuko pass by here today?"

"Oh, yeah! She came a few hours ago, and picked up a bottle of Kirin," Liz said, putting the bananas inside a bag. "She said to put it on your tab, too... that's 5000 yen."
    "Sigh... did she, now?," Ushio groaned, taking a few notes out of her wallet and handing them to the girl. "I swear, she's going to put me in some serious debt somed-"

Suddenly, the sliding doors opened, and in walked Ryuuko herself, carrying a long package in her arms. "Hey, Liz, do you have another one of those... ah! Boss!" Her enthusiasm increased upon noticing that Ushio was there, and she proceeded to open the package, revealing a katana. It and its sheath were worn with age, and it looked a little too big for her, but it was still in good condition - enough to make its high-quality make visible. "Behold! Finally, it returns to its righteous owner!," she finished, almost shoving it into Ushio's face.

"Oh, wow! You actually did it!"
    "Hah! Of course, boss," Ryuuko gloated, puffing out her chest, and putting the sword back in its box. "Or did you doubt my abilities?"
    "Well, this was your first time going to an auction, but... I guess all's well when it ends well. How much did it cost?"
    "...oh... yes, heheh, uh... about that..."

Today

Finally! The day had come. On that fateful day, Ryuuko was finally reunited with an old friend's memento, but at what cost...? Well, 'way too much', according to Ushio. Ryuuko had worked like crazy these last few months to pay it back, but with this last job, it should be over! And it was a simple one, too - just bodyguard work for some rich girl. 'Oh, my dear friend, have we been through so much already!,' Ryuuko thought as she neared her destination, a fancy condominium. 'Do not worry, though. Soon our contract will be complete, and we will be as one once more!'

After making some last-minute adjustments to her kimono and hair - after all, making a good first impression to a wealthy employer was always a good idea - Ryuuko walked up the hill preceding the condominium, now in a better mood than she had been in for the last months.
    Last edited by Chiffon; February 4th, 2015 at 09:08 AM.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

While all the other characters of interest were making their way to Snapdragon Yamaguchi's house in one way or another, Henry had managed to already get in there and slay an entire horde of malicious magicians attacking that were attacking the mansion! ... Or at least... that's what he believed had happened.

The truth is, Henry was completely drunk off his ass. Once again, he had fed off of some residue blood at a particularly nasty bar fight he happened to see, but he forgot to go through the trouble of sorting out the alcohol when he allowed the gooey mix to enter his bloodstream. How much alcohol was in the blood he drunk? And was he entirely sure that alcohol was the only foreign substance on that filthy floor that had mixed into the pools? It's impossible to say, but it probably would have been more than enough to kill him if the sheer amount of blood he had stored up in his system prior hadn't been able to dilute it.

So there he was, slowly sobering up but still quite out of it. Or perhaps he was just as out of it as he usually was. Once again, it's impossible to say. Regardless of his present condition, Henry managed one way or another to make it up the hill that Yamaguchi's mansion rested on. He could have sworn he saw an old man slowly trying to do the same, but he ignored this assumed hallucination.

As he approached the security console, he gave the screen a quick few knocks as he drunkenly stammered,

"Yeah this is Henry! I'm here to kill some stuff like it said in the job app if that's alright with you."
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Kurt and Aorta stood down the block from Snapdragon's place, Aorta hiding in a backpack to avoid him being seen by any ignorant onlookers. The facade they always used for this was Kurt holding up a phone, looking like he was talking to someone - kept people from thinking that Kurt was crazy, and kept Aorta out of view of the normals. “So, I was thinking that maybe... we shouldn't have you out and about immediately.” Kurt glanced into his backpack, and had never seen Aorta look so offended.

“What, are you embarassed to be seen with your partner? Don't want Snapdragon-senpai to think that you're not available? Is that it, Kurt? Got yourself the hots for the queen of the otaku?”

“I dunno, it's just... she's apparently completely new to this... I don't know. Put it in perspective. Remember how I reacted to you when I came across you for the first time?”

“Yeah. You threw a rock at me.”

“...sorry.”

“I was DYING.”

“...yeah, my bad...”

“You called me an evil abomination and kicked me.”

Kurt had enough. “Okay, I get it! I'm sorry! The point is, I knew about magical stuff - that's more than Snapdragon has according to what your contact said - and even I wasn't prepared to come across a demon. And you're not even that bad looking compared to pretty much every other demon I've seen since. That's all I'm saying here, Aorta. That's how I reacted and I was vaguely aware of demons for a few years. She only just learned you're even possible the other day. I just think we might need to... wean her into seeing you.”

“Screw that. I got us this gig, I'm gonna be a presence, and that's final. Remember who runs this tandem, Kurt.”

“Well, I'm pretty sure that as of today, it's Snapdragon.”

“Ooooh, what's the cutesy idol gonna do? Sing at me? Get a flustered cartoon sweatdrop if I talk back to her? Call me 'baka' a few times? Get real, I'm running this joint. Seriously, she knows me as ‘Aorta’. What the hell do you think she's going to think I am? That's kinda the point of the name, dumbass. Instant recognition.”

Kurt sighed. This was going to be a disaster. Any chance of showing that he could immediately be reliable and trustworthy was going to get shot down by Aorta. He couldn't be too upset, though, because at least this was going to keep bread on the table... probably significantly more than bread, considering the clientele. Thinking on it, that reminded Kurt of something.

“Hey, uh... how exactly did we get this job again, anyhow?”

“Got one of my buddies to recommend us. Idol-chan-sama-senpai-whatever-the-&&&& you want to call her was real desperate for some muscle.” Aorta began to laugh derisively. “Won't she just be thrilled when she sees us instead? Instant buyer's remorse! Too bad we have contracts!”

Kurt zipped up the backpack. Aorta began saying something, but the bag muffled whatever it was. After watching some drunken looking mess get admitted, he approached the building and hit the buzzer. “Hey uh, it’s Kurt Ostrowski, here about that bodyguard position…”

Kurt was abruptly cut off by Aorta, who had ripped a hole in the backpack and jumped on his shoulder. “Hey, you little mongrel, don’t forget about me, Aorta, your demon familiar. You know, the ugly monster you don’t want Snapdragon seeing?”

Kurt took his finger off the button and sighed. Aorta just laughed in response. “Got ‘em! First impression &&&&ing made, am I right?”
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

From her position at the head of the table, Snapdragon surveyed the ragtag bunch of mages before her. At first glance, she was hardly impressed, although she begrudgingly conceded that it made sense for magicians to look unexceptional. They certainly stood out regardless, though, best efforts or not. One of the men was noticeably drunk, despite not smelling like alcohol; another looked so breakable as to shatter at the slightest touch; a third had a colossal scar which twisted his mouth unpleasantly; the last of them had some kind of talkative and domineering little animal with him; and the only other woman among their number was incongruously clad in a kimono despite the California summer. Of course, part of her realised that she wasn't really one to talk - her aesthetic had once been described as "idol meets stripper", which had greatly amused her at the time - but at least that was a public image thing. She suspected these people were naturally strange.

The other thing that bothered her was how much of a sausagefest this was - although on second thoughts, did that mean she'd be able to pass them off as a harem? Unfortunately, the sheer range of ages meant that she had to discard that idea almost as soon as it came up; the two youngest men at the table were the only ones who maybe fell on the right side of the half-plus-seven test, while the oldest of the group looked like he could be her father, and not in the hot-older-gentleman way either. Well, she would deal with the publicity ramifications later. Right now she needed to say something.

"I'm gonna drop the cutesy idol bull&&&& right here," she began, voice dropping into her natural loose drawl rather than the accent she adopted for her stage persona. "Hope you don't mind having your image of perfect little Snapdragon ruined, but we might as well be honest with each other. So, thanks for coming. Now I'm gonna lay out the basics, and after that... well, it's your call."

"This job involves being my bodyguard and defending me from both the Magicians' and Fiends' Courts, of course, but it's way more complicated than that." She pushed a stack of papers forward. "This here's the contract I'll need you to sign, one each. Some of it's pretty much what you'd expect, like a non-disclosure agreement, but the rest is a little weirder. I'm gonna need you to live with me, for starters." Ignoring her discomfort, because she hadn't yet fully reconciled herself to the situation - yes, it would be strange, but asking anything less would just be an open invitation to the Courts - she plunged onwards. "Which means better lodgings than most of you'd be getting anyway, plus food. Then, what you've all been waiting for, the money. This contract promises you thirty grand each, straight after you sign, and five grand for every day you manage to keep me alive until this whole thing boils over. Sure, you'll probably have to pay tax, but it's still a lot. Which means you'd better give me the kind of quality I'm paying for, or... well, you can imagine for yourselves."

"And in case you think I'm stupid, you'd better not bail before the job's done. My lawyer has all your details, and I'm not paying you so well that you'll be able to win against me in court." She gave them the trademark Snapdragon smile, but by this point she hoped nobody would take it at face value. "Just so we're clear on this: she'll hunt you down and we will &&&& you up."

That seemed to cover most of the issues, she thought. A quick glance around the group didn't really shed any light on what anybody was thinking, but she felt good about this regardless.

"Anyway, time to choose. You were all interested enough to show up, and I don't think I've said anything dealbreakery since, but who knows." She brought out a pen, laying it purposefully in front of the stack of contracts. Then she met the eyes of the others at the table one by one, trying to impress the seriousness of the moment on them. "Gimme your autographs, and maybe I'll return the favour. Unless you have any questions first?"
    Last edited by Lenore; February 4th, 2015 at 04:00 AM.

Now sitting at the table with her host, Ryuuko put on her "I'm a refined lady" face, standing absolutely still, hands together in her lap, and listening with the utmost attention to what the girl was saying. Or, well, at least's what it looked like on the outside.

'What is with this child...? She looks young, but has a rude way of speaking... and these clothes! Absolutely improper. She may be rich, but would not last 5 seconds in a court.

And all these other people, too... a drunkard? Someone who cannot even control their... pet? It's an animal, right? And I am the only woman being hired, even... ugh. At least the elderly man seems respectable, and the other gentleman looks reliable enough... though he is quite creepy.
    '

At this point, the Snapdragon girl (what kind of name is that, even) pushed forth the contracts, and specified on the pay. '30 thousand? Hmm, that is not a lot... ah, but wait, this is in dollars. So let me see, if I remember correctly, today's exchange rate is... and that makes that 3 MILLION YEN?!

Th-three million... and 600 thousand every day after... oh... ohohohoh, yes! Yessssss! That is enough to pay for everything! Ushio will be so happy!
    ' Amidst her secret excitement, Ryuuko instinctively produced a small towel from somewhere and wiped her brow with it, also taking this opportunity to tie a tasuki* around her sleeves. Was the room getting hotter, or was it just her?

Either way, as soon as the girl had finished making her threats, Ryuuko reached out and picked up one of the contracts. From a cursory glance, it didn't seem to say anything she hadn't already mentioned, other than the obvious. However, there was just one thing that she wanted to ask...

"Yes, I have a question. For how long will we have to protect you?"

*image credit: torinone

the title is only a social construct

"Oooh, lawyers." Konstantin drawled, not even bothering to read the contract, simply playing it between his hands, folding and unfolding it in a hypnotizing, shifting manner. "Dear goodness me, I'll be sued! Why, I might as well just excuse myself right now, you people do play hardball."

Konstantin then realized that this was a penthouse in California, not a Court meeting room, and that this woman was a potential employer, not a sniveling brat who was playing at things she didn't understand.

Well, she was such a brat, but she was also a disgustingly rich sniveling brat, so. Bad idea.

Another Eastern lady asked about the length of commitment, and Konstantin frowned. Asking the first question was a psychological power seat, and it had been taken out from under him.

"Also," Konstantin said, hot on the heels of the last question, "Where would we be living?"

He barely stopped himself from saying a cheap pile of bricks and overpriced carpets you call a mansion? He corrected himself to the more neutral "A safehouse?"

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

Had he been fully aware of his surroundings, Henry would have used this opportunity to ask several questions. None of these questions were actually relevant to the discussion, but for some reason him not being aware enough to consciously ignore the discussion threw him for a loop. This greatly disappointed Henry, for he had looked forward to asking these questions and now here he was with no clue which one was least applicable to the conversation. He puzzled there for a moment, staring at the form Snapdragon had handed him blankly until finally a thought briefly popped into his head...

Maybe I'm just feeling a bit woozy after singlehandedly slaughtering all twelve of those rainbow-vomiting manatees

Henry would have been perfectly satisfied with his sluggish situation and fallen asleep on the spot upon hearing that, but then he felt a strange rumbling in his body. Sharp pain. Almost as if a truck was trying to ram its way through his bloodstream. He jumped up out of his seat immediately and screamed,

"Ok, what the &&&& did I eat?"

In somewhat of a panic, Henry threw himself onto his back and spat out what must have been two or three liters of blood straight into the air. With a few gasps of exasperated breaths and a face one would only expect to see during constipation, Henry let out a few strained grunts as the pool of blood floated through the air to a corner of the room, twisted itself like a common towel removing water and then, after some liquids (and other unknown objects that you might expect to see on a bar floor) dripped out of it, quickly returned to Henry's mouth.

After about thirty more seconds of gasping for air, Henry stood up to inspect what he had removed from his blood.

"Hm, yes let's see now... beer, vodka, lemon juice, hair, dirt, an old stick of gum... yes but what could have possibly made that... OH &&&& THERE WERE PIECES OF BROKEN GLASS IN THERE. I REALLY need to stop swallowing my food whole, jeez..."

Suddenly realizing that there were quite a few individuals in the room, Henry took a step backwards. Almost as quick as that first realization, a reassuring smile appeared on his face. It was almost as if ceased to care who the hell any of these people were. After a quick chuckle, he said,

"So I'm Henry in case you guys didn't know... he he... sorry about the mess but the glass was driving me absolutely craaaazy."
    Last edited by BrandonSP; February 4th, 2015 at 07:23 PM.

As he entered the meeting room, Ryans casually approached the nearest chair and sat down. He let out a comfortable sigh as he leaned back and placed his cane on his lap before folding his hands atop of it.

Aside from giving his name at the door, Ryans had kept silent since he had arrived at the building. He looked at the group around him, trying to judge how valuable, or how dangerous, his new companions would be. His initial impression was mixed, to say the least. One was a drunkard who was now vomiting up the contents of his stomach. Trying to keep his composure, his only indication of giving notice to Henry's action were a furrowed brow and a slightly taut mouth. In his past, Ryans had never been adverse to a drink, but not to the point of waking up on the floor and being unable to find the door.

Deciding it would be best to handle Henry at another time, he continued his observations of those around him. Ryans looked at the man who had just aksed where they would live. The man would have to have been only a decade or two his junior in age. On outward appearances, he was calm and neutral to the situation. Of course, Ryans knew that this attitude would often mean hidden secrets, as it was a tendency of his own to do the same. For the time being, however, he decided to give the benefit of the doubt. Of course, he would keep an eye out for any type of hidden agendas.

The next person he looked at was Ryuuko. He had been in China and Japan a few times during his time in the Magician's Court, but he knew very little about their cultures or peoples. Ryuuko, to Ryans, seemed a bit spacey. Despite having asked a question that was reasonable and responsible, the fact that she had dried her forehead and drew up the sleeves of her kimono seemed a bit out of place. He shook his head slightly, he was probably reading too much into it and, so long as she could keep her head in a dangerous situation, she seemed reliable enough otherwise.

Ryans then turned his attention to the demon in the room. Of course, he had several misgivings about having to work with a demon, as demons aren't known for their generosity and goodwill. On the other hand, the young man with him seemed to be comfortable with the situation of working with a demon. The lad's actions toward the demon at the gate suggested that they were on relatively good terms with one another. Another individual who would need to be kept a close watch on.

Lastly, his attention was on Snapdragon. She acted in a brattish, demanding manner. Of course, it was only to be expected when you live a life where everything can be brought to you on a silver platter. He would need to keep his patience with her if he wanted to keep his job.

As the questions were asked, he asked for himself, "Will we be working in a rotation of shifts, or are we expected to be on guard every hour of every day?"

"My carpet," said Snapdragon weakly. "My carpet."

That was an unexpected turn of events, and she was already starting to regret blindly inviting everyone to her home. Still, she had to pull herself together. Her team would never respect her if she went to pieces over something as small as this, so she steeled herself and looked at Henry, trying not to betray her simmering irritation.

"Maybe you shoulda signed up before spittin' blood everywhere?" she joked weakly. "I hope you don't kiss your ma with that mouth."

There: situation back under control. She'd asserted herself, and now she could get back to business. Unfortunately, the first question she'd been asked had somewhat of a thorny answer.

"I'll need protection until all this blows over, so probably a couple of months tops." Actually, she didn't know how long it'd take for the Courts to forget her, but she damn well couldn't say as much. Still, she was a damn good liar, so she was confident that her... reinterpretation of the truth wouldn't show. "And a'course I've organised a safehouse, you think I'm some kinda amateur? Not sure if you noticed, but this place's only got one escape route, so sittin' pretty up here at my listed address is just askin' for trouble." Take that, snooty dude! She'd definitely heard his sarcastic comment about her lawyers, so she figured the best antidote for his attitude would be cold hard competence. "I've got an agent there at the moment making final preparations, so it'll be ready more or less whenever. And sure, you guys can draw up a roster or something if you want. Long as I've got a couple of you with me at all times, I don't really care what else you do with yourselves."

She leaned back in her chair, eyes dispassionate. "Anything else?"

As he looked over the pool of blood that had spilled from the blood mage, he cocked his head. "Hmmm," he hummed as the others asked their questions. I wouldn't mind putting him under the scalpel. I wonder what's going on over there. Maybe some kind of extra blood reserve? Or increased production? Curious.

While he'd been distracted, the gir- his employer had been speaking.

"...And sure, you guys can draw up a roster or something if you want. Long as I've got a couple of you with me at all times, I don't really care what else you do with yourselves." His employer leaned back, eyes glazed over in complete uncaring, improfessional cavalier attitude.

Punk, he thought.

"Anything else?" she asked.

Konstantin itched at the idea of a roster. It'd been... well, his entire lifetime since he'd had to stick to a schedule that he hadn't put together. This was going to be unpleasant in the highest meaning of the word.

"I assume we start immediately," Konstantin stood, trying to prompt the others into action. "Unless we have another concert to go to?"

Damn my tongue.

"Immediately after you bother signing, yeah." Snapdragon lounged back further, every inch the master of her domain. "And no, I haven't got any more shows planned. Unless you'd like one later, in private?"

There. No matter how he took that - flirtatiously, sarcastically, or genuinely - she hoped she'd thrown him off. Something about that particular mage and his demeanour made her want to be as obnoxious as possible; sure, it was bad of her, but she wasn't exactly in this to make friends, and clearly neither was he. Might as well sink to his level, if it'd make this whole business more fun.
    Last edited by Lenore; February 5th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

Konstantin snorted. Sure, if you give me the chance to saw my ears off first. Had this been the good old days, he would have said it out loud, but these weren't the good old days. They were the present days, which had a habit of being absolute &&&&.

He had to respect her attitude, though - she'd been doing this for a while.

Respect or not, however, he couldn't back down. "Yes, I can sign," he said, spinning a pen from the table in his hand a few times. He jammed the point into his finger with an audible schlick, and then signed his full name onto the contract.

Written in a blue-red mixture of ink and blood shone the words Konstantin de Phantis.

The fact that he couldn't put Lord before his name any more burned a little hotter than he'd have liked.

Forum Moderator

"Listen, I'll take the private show on the condition that you never offer another private show again," Aorta said and laughed. Kurt rolled his eyes and flicked Aorta in the back of the head. "Could we please try to not make a horrible impression here, Aorta?"

"Geez, excuse me for bringing some levity to the table," Aorta said, pretending to be insulted. "I'm pretty sure that me being a smartass isn't nearly as bad a first impression as spewing the red sea or having a stick stuck so far up my ass that I make Stalin look like a warm, gentle farmhand! Listen, Putin, I think we're gonna need to re-enact the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact with how uppity you've been acting. Lighten up. As for the drunkard... I'll have whatever he's having. Goddamn. I've never seen a body spew anything quite like that, and frankly I'm a little more interested in that than Employer-senpai's implied ladybits."

Kurt sighed. "Hey, guys, I have to apologize for this hellspawn's bad behavior. It's... kind of his thing. You get used to it. Eventually it becomes white noise. Trust me. I'm sorry you have to deal with him right now, but believe me, eventually you'll forget he's even here." He paused for a moment, hoping that maybe this would be doing some damage control. "Like hell anyone's gonna forget about me," Aorta laughed.

Kurt ignored him and flicked him again. Aorta just looked confused at that. It wasn't much, but at least the confusion would momentarily silence him as he tried to process what was going on. "As for the payment, I don't really care how long we need to be here, it's good money and free housing. That's pretty much all I need. I'm just here to do the right thing and protect a civilian..."

Aorta cut Kurt off. "Actually, thinking on that, 'a few months', you say?" Aorta laughed and playfully punched Kurt's head. "Aww, the newbie thinks a demon with a grudge is gonna leave her be by winter, isn't that cute? Listen, by all probability we're in this &&&& for the long haul. Not a lot of us can actually be killed, I'm the exception rather than the rule." He paused a moment and looked over at Konstantin. "And I'd rather not hear a snarky comment about plotting my possible death by putting me in a Soviet labor camp, Gorbachev."

In a relatively quick motion, Kurt knocked Aorta off of his shoulder and caught him in his backpack again. He then placed it on the table, ripped side against the table. The bag began to wiggle around as Aorta's muffled voice protested his current state.

"I do have a question, though... what's for dinner? That may be a ways off from now, considering I doubt anyone but Aorta has an appetite after... that guy over there literally puked his guts out. But hey, our whole powerset is blood, so as... kinda loathsome as that was, I know I'm still hungry. I think we could all stand to bond over a good ol' deep dish pizza!"
    Last edited by Lightningboalt; February 5th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now

Konstantin looked over at the duo, first at the human, then lingering on the demon. He didn't rise to the Soviet labor camp taunt, his thoughts on the Soviets being the same of all de Phantises - that is, 'a good source of dead bodies'.

Something his aunt had been a little too interested in, now that he thought of it. Damn, but that was a good day when he got rid of her.

Then the man in the leather jacket suggested pizza, and Konstantin remembered the one time he'd had the dish. It was actually... good, for a greasy slab of thrown-together ingredients served by an underpaid stooge, but damned if he'd let them know that.

"Bond? Pizza?" he finally said, blankly.

As the exchange between Konstantin and Snapdragon occurred, Ryans couldn't help but wear a small smirk as the pair's egotistical personalities clashed with each other. He was used to people craving power over others, it was a strict hierarchy in the facility, after all, so he had learned to at least keep himself irritated by this type of person. Still, it would be best if there wasn't much tension between the young idol and the entourage she would soon have officially under hire. He looked around the room and, upon seeing no one else had yet stood up, did so himself. He reached into a coat pocket and took out his own pen.

Of course, Ryans wasn't too keen on the idea of using his own blood to write a signature, preferring to keep the term "blood oath," more metaphorical than literal, so his pen was merely an old ink pen. After signing in his shaky hand, he looked at Snapdragon and said in a flat tone, "I hope to be in your care as much as you will be in mine." He gave a quick bow, much like a butler would give their master, before returning to his seat.

The drunk man's, uh... "sobering up" took Ryuuko by surprise. Not only was this the most disgusting thing she had ever seen in her life, it was just &&&&ing weird. The guy puked blood, tossed some stuff out of it, and then unpuked it! What the hell?!

'M-maybe this will not be so easy, after all...,' she thought, wiping her forehead again. 'Argh, compose yourself, Ryuuko. Hmm... "a couple" is at least two, so at 5000 dollars per day, it's... 35 million! I might even be able to buy my old house back after this! No more living in that cramped apartment!'

While thinking about the money, she half-noticed the gentleman being highly uncomfortable in this situation and the annoying pet demon thing being annoying, and cringed once again. Working with these people would be difficult... oh, but the money made it more than worth it! She didn't have to think twice about it. Producing a pen from somewhere, Ryuuko swiftly signed the contract, though she presumed that none of them, save Snapdragon, would be able to read her signature. After handing the paper to the girl, she nodded to the backpack monster's owner, replying with "Ah yes, pizza would be delightful... as long as I do not see something like that again."
    Last edited by Chiffon; February 6th, 2015 at 10:58 AM.

After signing his name on the contract with a bit of blood produced from his finger (but was it really HIS BLOOD???), Henry could not help but be intrigued by the human and demon duo.

"Say... Aorta... I must have drained dry at least 50 demons by that name the last time I got a sample of demon blood. Tee hee, those were incredibly fun times... yes... fun times... Seeing the faces of the demons who couldn't die trying to slither across the floor until they could find another suitable blood source. MEMORIES!"

It was at this point that he realized Aorta was shoved into the greaser kid's backpack and thus probably wouldn't hear him if he asked how tasty he would rate his blood on a scale from one to five, so he instead turned towards Snapdragon.

"Say, bow lady, I actually do have a question that just popped into my mind. After we go and eat pizza or whatever the hell, would you mind pointing me towards wherever it is that I'm supposed to sleep? I don't particularly care too much about how comfortable it is since I'm getting it for free, but my one condition is that I am not to be woken up by anyone under any circumstances once I do hit the sack. The early alarm bell goes straight to hell and all that, tee hee."

Finally. &&&&ing finally. The contracts were signed and nobody could back out and oh god these people were going to drive her utterly bat&&&& crazy. But if it came down to a choice between being insane and alive or calm and dead, Snapdragon knew what she would pick. Quickly she gathered up the contracts, folding them up before disappearing them into a pocket in her dress. Now she just needed to get a copy to her lawyer, but that could wait until after she'd handled the last of the setup business. Then she dealt out a pink plastic card to each of the mages, and dumped five keys right in the middle of the table.

"Debit cards," she said shortly. If any of her bodyguards cared to inspect them in detail, they would find their own name embossed there, along with a number and expiry date; she'd made sure everything was in order. "Thirty grand to start, as promised, and you'll get five more on these every morning. What ya do with the cash after that really isn't my problem. And the keys open the safehouse, obviously, so take one."

Good. The official part was done, and now she could relax a little and shore up their dinner plans. Really, now that each of them had thousands of dollars to their name, she was surprised they were setting their sights as low as cheap pizza. Still, she was funding it, so she couldn't exactly complain.

"Yeah," she said, "pizza works. Mind if we wait until we get to the safehouse, though? We prolly shouldn't stay here too long -"

The sound of breaking glass interrupted her, and she turned to face the sound. A smartly-dressed man had burst in through the window overlooking the balcony, and now crouched on her carpet. But the broken glass around him didn't settle, instead continuing to hover in the air as if gravity had stopped. Any of the mages in the room would've been able to tell that he was packing a serious amount of mana - more than anyone would be able to use without seriously hurting themselves. Then he straightened up and grinned languidly, and her heart skipped a beat.

"N-nani?" she offered weakly, forcing herself back into character. "Senpai, what are you doing here?"

Her guest laughed harshly. "Drop the act, Yamaguchi. I'm not here to talk."

Jasper J. Hunt, square-jawed movie star, lounged calmly amid the floating debris. His face was one that would almost certainly be familiar to everyone in the room, thanks to his near-ubiquitous lead roles in action films over the last decade. Actually, he'd also co-starred opposite the idol in her sole film appearance, a high-octane spy thriller released last year called Wham, Bam, Thanks Japan. He hadn't been particularly friendly or communicative on set, but she'd gotten used to expecting nothing but professionalism in her line of work. Either way, she certainly hadn't expected this.

"Yeah, 'kay," she said, standing up and facing him. Even in her six-inch heels, he towered over her. "Whaddayou want?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm here to capture you on behalf of my Court. But if you should get grievously injured in the process... well, that's not my fault, is it?" He eyed the other occupants of the room disdainfully. "Although it seems I'm a little later than I'd have liked. It would've been nice to have found you before you made friends."

"Gotta say, I'm kinda shocked you're one'a them. But which Court sent you?"

"The Fiends', obviously," he said, smirking. "I'm a constituent, and I owe them big time. How else do you think I got these devilishly good looks?"

"&&&&," said Snapdragon flatly. "You're kidding, right? Someone tell me he didn't just say that for real."

He guffawed. "Sorry, but this isn't one of your Japanese cartoons. I'm about as real as they get."

"That's rude as &&&&," she said, "but we'll talk about that later." She dropped into an experienced knife-fighter's crouch, blade suddenly appearing in her hand. If anyone had been watching her, they'd have seen it come out of the oversized bow in her hair; something her beloved fans would surely have had trouble believing, but which seemed unsurprising in the moment. "Pretty sure we both know how this is gonna go."

"So you won't come quietly, then?" He took a languid step forward, the fragments moving with him. "How disappointing."

He fired off a bullet of glass before she could even blink, and only her well-honed reflexes and gut instinct prevented her from taking it right between the eyes. Instead it dug into her arm, which would inevitably present a problem later, but that was far from the worst thing that could've happened.

She'd gotten lucky, but she wouldn't again, which meant she desperately needed some kind of cover. The dining table at which they'd been seated wouldn't help at all, so she ruled that out. Her other option was concealing herself behind one of the leather sofas opposite the broken window - that, or ducking into the kitchen beside the dining area, where either the counter or the island would hide her just fine. In the end, she opted to roll behind the couch, and then peeked cautiously over the top.

"Hmmm," Hunt murmured to himself. "I think I might need more ammo."

Thus far he'd only broken one of the five or so windows which edged onto the balcony. Without warning, a crack splintered through the remaining ones, and they all shattered simultaneously. The pieces were pulled into Hunt's orbit, and he now stood at the nexus of a storm of glass six feet in diameter, perfect calm in the eye of slowly spinning debris.

Snapdragon had to admit, this looked pretty bad (and was way beyond her capabilities to boot). Still, she'd heard good things about the mages she'd hired, so she had no choice but to hope like crazy that they actually lived up to the hype. "What are you guys waiting for?" she called to her new bodyguards, gesturing at the intruder. "Earn your keep!"
    Last edited by Lenore; February 6th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.

"Well, &&&&," Konstantin muttered. He'd already signed the contract, so he couldn't just walk away now. Probably best to make sure that his employer didn't die from blood loss, to start with.

"Someone deal with that piece of &&&&," he grumbled to the others as he prepared himself.

He'd long since put his hormone centers under direct conscious control - something he'd done after one of his relatives wised to his games and decided to send his glands into a frenzy. As such, certain chemicals could only enter his bloodstream if he willed it. Now, he began a slow bleed of adrenaline, just enough to give him energy, but not enough to make him shaky.

He pushed off from the ground as the glass shattered all around him, his movement having all the efficiency of a dancer and none of the flair. He vaulted over the sofa the girl was cowering behind, yowling for help.

"Shut up," he grumbled as he landed. He muttered a few lines of Russian, and the belly of his forearm split, like a wide, fleshy smile. Between a pair of folds of flesh was a thin, jagged shortsword made of bone. He pulled it out, spinning it lazily.

"We're going to get that arm fixed, but first, let's get someplace safer, eh, kohai?"

"Hm, another pun user... and a quite good one at that. Maybe I'll get some of your skill when I absorb every drop of your precious, mana-rich blood."

Taking a look at the bleeding Snapdragon, he immediately saw an opportunity to gain the upper hand in this situation.

'Sorry boss, but you know what they say... it has to get worse before it can get better."

Raising his arm slightly, he caused the blood coming from Snapdragon's arm to thin for a few seconds before finally clotting its flow before any actual damage was caused to his new employer. Taking the small amount of Snapdragon's blood he was able to collect, he hardened it into a small weapon. Since it was such a small amount, he doubted he would be able to rely on it holding its own in this fight without his full concentration on manipulating the iron within the blood to the point where his makeshift sword would take the largest brunt of an attack. On the plus side, he was easily able to make it sharp. One good stab from this bad boy and he could get a nice steady influx of top tier mage blood into his system.

"I'm afraid I have the advantage here Illuminati man. I'll take every injury you give us and use it against you. It doesn't matter how strong you think you are right now or how quickly you think you could finish this job, every iota of your aorta will soon be mine for the taking, so why don't you make like your blood will and drop dead before I have too much fun pursuing my thrill of the Hunt?"

With a sudden jolt, Henry began what seemed like a reckless charge towards Hunt, but in reality was marked by Henry's constant checking on the relative positions of potential glass shard projectiles.

Forum Moderator

In the midst of Hunt's arrival, Aorta managed to get out of the backpack again. He leapt up and perched himself on Kurt's shoulder, and whispered into his ear: "you know... technically, we didn't sign that contract yet... we can get the hell out of here and snag that debit card, rather than getting stabbed by glass..."

"Hell no, are you kidding? We've got a free place to live. We are not &&&&ing this up," Kurt whispered back. "I'm signing that contract as soon as we're done with this. Seriously, that's probably the stupidest suggestion you've ever made."

Aorta glanced at Hunt as he exploded some windows. "I don't know... I think I may know this guy's demon. I'm not entirely sure I want to be on his bad side in particular. Listen, I'm not on many demons' good sides, but if I'm thinking of the right guy, he's a rare demon that's got nothing against me yet. Truth be told, I kinda would prefer to keep it that way. Snapdragon's got herself in some real nasty business here, when a demon's got a constituent in Hollywood that they're sending out to do their bidding, then they tend to not be out for just a minor grudge. Actually societally significant constituents are some of the heaviest hitters around. We might be biting off more than we can chew, and if Snapdragon's already got the money set up? Cut loose and run like hell, this isn't worth it."

"No. That's not right, and I can't do it." Aorta begrudgingly sighed at Kurt's declaration, and said "Well, once you've set your mind to justice, I guess you can't be thrown off course." At that, Kurt smirked. "Damn straight. Justice will prevail, and I'm not about to let this glass cannon be..." Kurt abruptly paused, unsure how to finish that statement. "...a glass cannon!"

"Mighty presumptuous of you, Kurt," Aorta said, "we don't necessarily know that he's all muscle, no defenses."

"I know, I know," Kurt said defensively, "I screwed up, okay? Tried to sound tough, sounded dumb. I gotta work on my heroic snark. I think that's a valuable trait to have in your pocket." Aorta snorted. "Listen Kurt, you leave the casual dickery to me. It's not your style. Anyhow, hobo's got Snapdragon taken care of, so I think I know just what we should do to screw with this guy..."

Kurt cut Aorta off. "We're not doing the visit from his little friend, okay? You always want to do that." Kurt began to focus on Hunt's bloodstream. "He looks like he needs concentration to keep control of his glass... how about we make him a little dizzy and unfocused? Let's lower his blood pressure, and lower his heartbeat for good measure - get him sluggish and uncoordinated."

Thread Information