Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 339

Thread: amiibo thread

  1. #1
    Psychiatrist to the Video Game Stars Guybrush20X6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Aug 23 2010
    Location
    Trapped in the middle of something.
    Posts
    942

    amiibo thread

    Let's have a thread to talk about amiibo seperate from Smash Bros.

    I like them but I still think they fall short on their potential. One thing I want to see if for the WiiU and n3DS to have exclusive menu themes unlocked through certain characters so that way they'll have use even when there's no game.

    I heard Captain Toad will have amiibo functionality but so far we haven't seen anything. What do you think it could be?

    Thanks to LightSamus on ONM for the Sig.

    Level 30 Psychiatry: The Comic that takes you into the Psyche of the Video Game stars.

  2. #2
    Star Warrior Torchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Jun 26 2014
    Posts
    724

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush20X6 View Post
    Let's have a thread to talk about amiibo seperate from Smash Bros.

    I like them but I still think they fall short on their potential. One thing I want to see if for the WiiU and n3DS to have exclusive menu themes unlocked through certain characters so that way they'll have use even when there's no game.

    I heard Captain Toad will have amiibo functionality but so far we haven't seen anything. What do you think it could be?
    But the current amiibos are the Smash line and Smash is the only one with a deep use for them....

    But unlocking an exclusive menu themes mean immediately after they've lost all use. It needs to be something consistent like Hyrule Warriors, where they can give a daily bonus of needed materials.

    Captain Toads will probably be levels. They'll be added in a patch, and then after the Amiibos will start unlocking them. Worst case scenario, extra lives.

  3. #3
    The Villager of Death
    Guest

    Re: amiibo thread

    I've started hearing that amiibos are a limited time only thing. In that case, I'm screwed.

  4. #4
    Mr. Dragmire Snifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Wednesday, Jun 29 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: amiibo thread

    I wrote a whole thing up about how I feel about the current amiibo situation. Short version, its incredibly frustrating and Nintendo is not acting in a good way. The current mystery and back and forth is silly. Nintendo would go a long way to just come out and make an official statement saying 'Yes, certain amiibos have been discontinued. We apologize for inconvenience' or 'We understand certain characters are difficult to find. We are searching for a solution.' The back and forth is just infuriating for adult collectors and I can't even imagine how it feels for young fans wanting the toys for themselves.

    What I REALLY don't get is why these three are so hard to find. Sure Wii Fit Trainer is an oddball character. No one expected her to be popular. Marth is one of the big favorites in Smash Bros. and since this line is based on Smash Bros. why didn't they stock up on him? Likewise Villager. I mean Animal Crossing: New Leaf has sold over seven million copies world wide. Did they really think the Animal Crossing character wouldn't be popular? I get needing shelf space. I get wanting to keep popular characters around. But having an entire line sell out in less than one month is just plain ridiculous. Nintendo seems to have severely underestimated the amiibos' popularity and then shrouded everything ins secrecy. Its really a dumb move on their part.

  5. #5
    Star Warrior Torchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Jun 26 2014
    Posts
    724

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snifit View Post
    I wrote a whole thing up about how I feel about the current amiibo situation. Short version, its incredibly frustrating and Nintendo is not acting in a good way. The current mystery and back and forth is silly. Nintendo would go a long way to just come out and make an official statement saying 'Yes, certain amiibos have been discontinued. We apologize for inconvenience' or 'We understand certain characters are difficult to find. We are searching for a solution.' The back and forth is just infuriating for adult collectors and I can't even imagine how it feels for young fans wanting the toys for themselves.

    What I REALLY don't get is why these three are so hard to find. Sure Wii Fit Trainer is an oddball character. No one expected her to be popular. Marth is one of the big favorites in Smash Bros. and since this line is based on Smash Bros. why didn't they stock up on him? Likewise Villager. I mean Animal Crossing: New Leaf has sold over seven million copies world wide. Did they really think the Animal Crossing character wouldn't be popular? I get needing shelf space. I get wanting to keep popular characters around. But having an entire line sell out in less than one month is just plain ridiculous. Nintendo seems to have severely underestimated the amiibos' popularity and then shrouded everything ins secrecy. Its really a dumb move on their part.
    ... They did send out a statement, after the supposed email claiming there would be more, which has yet to have concrete proof of being real or fake, saying otherwise. http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-...--284688.phtml Some are only getting one shipment, which means the problem is also the retailers end. Nintendo can't control what they do, and if all they want to order is preorders and like one more, that is the retailers fault because then it means there's next to none in the wild. The small orders of WFT, Villager and Marth by retailers may have sent the sign to them 'This figure isn't desired/popular.' and thus why only one thing of it. And if the retailers/suppliers don't contact Nintendo going 'Hey, this is more popular than we thought, could you possibly make another thing of these', then they aren't going to. Simple as that, it's sadly how these kind of things work. And if Nintendo does plan another wave, then it's not coming until after Wave 2.

    And coming out and saying which will be disontinued would make the whole thing WORSE. Right now both Nintendo and everyone realise the scalpers are going nuts. By saying those three will no longer be produced will give scalpers a greater reason to jack up the price. By keeping shut about which ones are suffering this fate(we don't know if some others are in the same boat but had greater numbers in the initial statement), it helps keep them a bit lower for those who weren't lucky and it keeps scalpers from mass purchasing them and jacking them up higher.

  6. #6
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Mar 7 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Posts
    774

    Re: amiibo thread

    Man, here in Germany, I'm already struggling to find Samus. When Smash for Wii U was released, she was there, but I decided to buy only Link, and now I can't find her anywhere (unlike Link though).

    But yeah, I'm kinda surprised that Marth is among the rather limited ones. Actually, I've seen him only once here yet, and as far as I remember, I never encountered WFT nor Villager in the wild.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

  7. #7
    Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    SR388
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: amiibo thread

    The irony. The irony.

    When I first encountered amiibos on store shelves during Day 3, all the characters were sold out except Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, and Villager. Now whenever I go to stores, all but those three are overstocked, to the point that the hooks reserved for Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, and Villager now hold the overflow of Link, Pikachu, and Samus. Considering I still don't have a Wii U yet, I just don't what or when to buy amiibos.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

  8. #8
    Nobody touches my BitF. Mr.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Jul 27 2014
    Location
    Where The Sawgrass Meets The Sky
    Posts
    34

    Re: amiibo thread

    I'm actually heading to a Best Buy, as I heard that it's the LAST Place around own with the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. I was lucky to get Marth at Wal-Mart.
    Don't forget to thank Mr.Miyamoto!

  9. #9
    Waddle Dee mochlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Saturday, Jul 5 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    68

    Re: amiibo thread

    Bad news: shipment issues have caused Luigi, Pit, and Captain Falcon to be delayed to later this month. Zelda, Diddy, and Little Mac should be releasing on the original date, though.

    And might I say, Little Mac has one of the best looking amiibos? I'm thinking of buying him just because of that. Plus I wanna make a scary-powerhouse killing machine Level 50 Little Mac.

  10. #10
    Star Warrior Torchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Jun 26 2014
    Posts
    724

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mochlum View Post
    Bad news: shipment issues have caused Luigi, Pit, and Captain Falcon to be delayed to later this month. Zelda, Diddy, and Little Mac should be releasing on the original date, though.

    And might I say, Little Mac has one of the best looking amiibos? I'm thinking of buying him just because of that. Plus I wanna make a scary-powerhouse killing machine Level 50 Little Mac.
    Considering Falcon never moved from Dev 31, I was expecting that.

    ALSO http://www.gonintendo.com/s/243449-n...o-availability Here's a slightly better statement... I think

  11. #11
    Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    SR388
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: amiibo thread

    I decided to do a little amiibo recon at my local stores today. Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, and Villager are still sold out everywhere. Also interestingly of note, my Toys R Us broke the street date and have Diddy Kong available now.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

  12. #12
    Monado Wielder DarthTalon5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Jan 26 2012
    Posts
    396

    Re: amiibo thread

    News on the Amiibos and whether or not we can still get the sold out ones without scalpers. http://nintendoeverything.com/ninten...-return-later/

    Fore the less link savvy forum goers: “Some amiibo were very popular at launch, and it is possible that some amiibo in the United States, Canada and Latin America may not be available right now due to high demand and our efforts to manage shelf space during the launch period. Certain sold-out amiibo may return to these markets at a later stage. We are continually aiming to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace and there are many waves of amiibo to come.”
    Well here is my take on a custom Signature in relation to the new character reveals in Smash. Except Sheik, Sheik had to be cut so I wouldn't block anyone off while using this as a facebook cover.

    Super Smash Bros 3DS Bracket http://challonge.com/COMEONSTEPITUP Tournament now over. Bracket still available for viewing.

  13. #13
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Mar 7 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Posts
    774

    Re: amiibo thread

    Okay, I've been browsing the web, and then I came across this story of a guy who spent truckloads of money on amiibos because he hates the respective characters (and the fans of these characters!), it should be noted that all those characters are also female (or at least possible to be female in Robin's case).

    This guy's mentality is so incredibly... ugh... that I'm at a loss of words. So I thought I may share this with you folks, because... I don't know, maybe someone has an idea to stop this madman?
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

  14. #14
    I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Wednesday, Apr 27 2011
    Location
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?
    Posts
    596

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    Okay, I've been browsing the web, and then I came across this story of a guy who spent truckloads of money on amiibos because he hates the respective characters (and the fans of these characters!), it should be noted that all those characters are also female (or at least possible to be female in Robin's case).

    This guy's mentality is so incredibly... ugh... that I'm at a loss of words. So I thought I may share this with you folks, because... I don't know, maybe someone has an idea to stop this madman?
    What's more likely: this guy actually spent $35,000 on amiibos out of spite and plans to do it again at least four more times, or he's making it up to be "le epic troll xD" and get attention? Beyond that Tumblr post, there's no evidence this actually happened. The original Nintendo Nuggets article is now a 404, and judging from the few screencaps I've seen of it, it didn't have any proof that the story was real.

    The fact of the matter is, when something seems too strange to be true, it probably isn't, especially if it doesn't even try to back up its claims with evidence.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

  15. #15
    Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. ZORK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Mar 7 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Posts
    774

    Re: amiibo thread

    I did some digging and found a Destructoid article, which mentions the names "mariotehplumber" and "daily dose". There's a YouTube account to the former, where he claims he's scalping all these amiibos.

    Guy is at least a very determined troll.
    I know that I know nothing.
    Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss.

  16. #16
    I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Wednesday, Apr 27 2011
    Location
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?
    Posts
    596

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ZORK View Post
    I did some digging and found a Destructoid article, which mentions the names "mariotehplumber" and "daily dose". There's a YouTube account to the former, where he claims he's scalping all these amiibos.

    Guy is at least a very determined troll.
    That's still not proof he's actually doing this. Talking about it isn't proof at all, and the pictures he's shown show that he's got four Marths, two WFTs, three Villagers, and three Captain Falcons. Those are all rare amiibo, sure, but his collection is a far cry from hundreds of amiibo worth $35,000.

    He's also got a history of general trollish behavior on his youtube channel, such as extremely negative and nitpicky reviews of popular games, absurd opinions (such as claiming every game in existence is a ripoff of Zelda, Mario, or Sonic), and incredibly loud noises in his videos. He's almost definitely a very determined troll.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

  17. #17
    Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Mar 4 2010
    Location
    SR388
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: amiibo thread

    According to the Nintendo Direct, the Marth amiibo is getting another product run. Since the Fire Emblem characters just had compatibility revealed with Project Steam, this doesn't necessarily mean other limited released characters like Captain Falcon and Little Mac will see shelves. Too bad.

    Oh, and 12 new amiibos have been announced. About half of them are just new poses of Super Mario characters. Most notably, we finally get a Luigi that doesn't have that weird taunt pose from Smash.

    March 20th
    -Mario
    -Luigi
    -Peach
    -Bowser
    -Yoshi
    -Toad

    Spring 2015
    -Wario
    -Robin
    -Lucina
    -Charizard
    -Pac Man
    -Ness
    Last edited by Ruane; January 14th, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

  18. #18
    Psychiatrist to the Video Game Stars Guybrush20X6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Aug 23 2010
    Location
    Trapped in the middle of something.
    Posts
    942

    Re: amiibo thread

    I like the Mario amiibos as their poses are more sesible and they don't need the little plastic poles. Also Toad is so far the only one without Smash Bros functionality.

    Thanks to LightSamus on ONM for the Sig.

    Level 30 Psychiatry: The Comic that takes you into the Psyche of the Video Game stars.

  19. #19
    I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Mar 4 2012
    Location
    Nothing's Call
    Posts
    3,088

    Re: amiibo thread

    I'm definitely pre-ordering Ness, Lucina and Robin. I should've pre-ordered Ike, too. ;-;

  20. #20
    Green Star Corey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Apr 25 2010
    Posts
    257

    Re: amiibo thread

    I don't really want any of characters I already have, so I'll be just getting Toad from the Mario set. Getting all the Smash ones though.

  21. #21
    Monado Wielder DarthTalon5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Thursday, Jan 26 2012
    Posts
    396

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I don't really want any of characters I already have, so I'll be just getting Toad from the Mario set. Getting all the Smash ones though.
    If you want to use other mario amiibos aside from toad without deleting your smash bros data, you will need to get new ones just saying.
    Well here is my take on a custom Signature in relation to the new character reveals in Smash. Except Sheik, Sheik had to be cut so I wouldn't block anyone off while using this as a facebook cover.

    Super Smash Bros 3DS Bracket http://challonge.com/COMEONSTEPITUP Tournament now over. Bracket still available for viewing.

  22. #22
    Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    Lightningboalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Mar 1 2010
    Location
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Posts
    2,754

    Re: amiibo thread

    Finally, an actually good Luigi amiibo! What a step up from the absolutely awful Smash Luigi one.

    I'm collecting my mains and assorted favorites. Just my luck... two of my mains in this next wave. I managed to get Captain Falcon, and I imagine Robin will be just as tough to get. Fortunately, I think Charizard will end up being one of the most common of this wave. I also want to grab Lucina and Ness, Lucina moreso for STEAM support and Ness just because how do you say no to an Earthbound merch opportunity?
    Last edited by Lightningboalt; January 15th, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

    If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

  23. #23
    Green Star Corey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sunday, Apr 25 2010
    Posts
    257

    Re: amiibo thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTalon5 View Post
    If you want to use other mario amiibos aside from toad without deleting your smash bros data, you will need to get new ones just saying.
    Their functionality is secondary to having a swag set of themed figurines.

  24. #24
    Psychiatrist to the Video Game Stars Guybrush20X6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Monday, Aug 23 2010
    Location
    Trapped in the middle of something.
    Posts
    942

    Re: amiibo thread

    Well we got a lot of new information about amiibo from the latest direct. I'm going to get a Toad amiibo but I'm wonderinf wether the rest of the Mario Amiibos are worth it.

    Thanks to LightSamus on ONM for the Sig.

    Level 30 Psychiatry: The Comic that takes you into the Psyche of the Video Game stars.

  25. #25
    The Villager of Death
    Guest

    Re: amiibo thread

    Villager amiibos are selling for $70 dollars on amazon. It's a shame, really. Villager is my favorite character.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •