Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fate/From Dust

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Re: Fate/From Dust

The brisk night air had calmed Stephanie considerably, helped by the fact that her Servant had kept his salacious comments to a minimum for once, until he rocketed sharply off to the side with no warning. She bumped uncomfortably in his arms, and then fixed him with a glare once he stopped.

"What was that for?" she hissed.

Wayward merely set her down and jerked his head at the approaching stranger. "That guy threw something at us. And would you rather I hadn't dodged?" Then he raised his voice, addressing their attacker. "Oi, what was that for? Didn't anyone ever teach you manners?"

No need to be quite so hostile, you know. He doesn't exactly feel like a Servant, at least in terms of prana signature.

The Heroic Spirit shot her a disbelieving look. True, but you can't possibly believe him to be a garden-variety shonky death businessman.

She muffled a snicker, but composed herself once she realised how that might come across. Then she too spoke to the stranger. "Please, forgive my associate's rudeness. Might I ask for your name, so I know who exactly I'm apologising to?"

Beast's ear twitched as he listened in on their reactions with heightened senses, head slightly tilted to the side. He stepped forward again and took off his hat.

"You didn't have to dodge. I was asked to miss."

He placed his hat back and and bowed slightly.

"From what I have gathered, that would seem to be how they say hello where he is from." He shrugged. "At any rate, the intention was only to get your attention. And, sadly no, you can not ask my name, for reasons you probably have figured out for yourself by now. I would have liked to introduce myself as the sage, or wanderer, but instead I have been named as the Beast of this event." He took a final step, then stopped, maybe a two dozen strides, with his arms held up, in such a gesture as to indicate he had no weapons with him, and as close to a nonthreatening look on his face as possible.

Kyle opened the back door of the van and slid out onto the sidewalk, but didn't stay more than a step or two away from the safety of the car door. He waved "I can apologize, myself. It was the second quickest way to get your attention. So, you know, hello, and such. Kyle Blue, here."
    "So," he snapped his fingers, "what are you up for, here, talking a bit, little fistfight, collusion? Just want a sandwich?" He pointed towards the tipped over grill in the back of the van.

What would have been the quickest way to get our attention, then? She vaguely recognised the Master as being the one who'd asked about the purpose of the whole Holy Grail War during their meeting with Quartermain. And while she privately held her doubts about his chances with an attitude like that, the fact remained that his Servant probably couldn't be taken quite so lightly.

"Apology accepted," she began. "My name is Lady Stephanie des Baux, and my friend here is Wayward. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and as for what to do now-"

"Beast, was it?" The pink-haired man had taken a few steps forward, inspecting his competition intently. "In that case, our path is obvious. How about a little bet?"

"Oh no." She already hated where this was going.

"I've been spoiling for battle ever since I was summoned, and since you offered so nicely..." His smirk, the one that absolutely meant trouble, was threatening to crack his face in half. "I think I'll have to take you up on that fistfight, but we should make it interesting. Winner gets a sandwich, loser has to watch them eat it!"

"Wayward," the priestess cut in wearily, "are you sure this is a good idea?" After all, she had been under the impression that he fought primarily with a lance, and Beast was definitely making a show of being completely unarmed. Also, the whole idea of a wager was stupid no matter which way you chose to slice it. Wasn't the Grail already a good enough prize?

"Be quiet, princess, you're killing my buzz." He pointed at the other Servant, grin only widening. "So, how about it?"
    Last edited by Lenore; March 6th, 2014 at 12:23 AM.

Ark

The enemy Servant's blade forced itself into the arm of Trickster, causing the ninja to pull himself away and keep some level of distance between the two. The slash could have been much worse, as if the pirate had been holding himself back. He must have been wanting to keep the thrill of battle alive - after all, he was a Heroic Spirit.

Trickster sheathed his sword, as if ready to give up, but that was far from his intention; instead, he flexed his fingers of the arm that wasn't struck by Wanderer's cutlass. He kept his eye on his target while making sure not to make contact with the pirate's face. As a Servant, whatever influence Wanderer's face had over him would likely be minimal now that the surprise factor was gone, but the ninja had to say cautious.

Trickster shot his arm outward, and from his hand flew five threads, one for each finger, aimed at the arms and chest of Wanderer.

"Threads of Poison!" he shouted halfway before his weapon reached its target.

Purple ooze was excreted from the silk lines, coating the Noble Phantasm as they jetted across the gap between the Servants at a blistering speed.

(Threads of Poison is a C rank Noble Phantasm that can shoot out threads to pierce Trickster's enemies. If the enemy Servant has an Endurance stat of C or lower while the threads are coated with poison, they'll feel a short-lived paralysis in the affected area)

Kyle laughed at the idea, and began the task of righting the grill from where it had fallen in the turn. "This was a way better idea than just running the van onto the sidewalk."

Beast was also happy, though he didn't show it quite as much, since it was also mixed with some degree of apprehension, because while he felt almost certain he would win any hand to hand confrontation without any trickery or dangerous secret attacks involved, the nature of the conflict sort of nullified those two qualifiers.

"You two seem somewhat mismatched for each other. Unfortunate. Everything is so much more pleasant when everyone gets along." he said, not quite grasping the contradiction in saying that to someone he intended to attack a few moments later.

"Now, I don't have any fancy tricks up my sleeves," he said, taking his jacket off and tossing it into the open door of the van, "Well, except for the one, but I won't use that if you don't use yours. After all, my master there still has to make the sandwich after either way."

He took a tentative fighting stance, one foot in front of the other, lightly bouncing on his toes, "Or, we could just go about it like... " he tiled his head to the side and back, to think of a phrasing, "hungry dogs."

He did a short hop forward and a demonstrative kick, that would have been about neck level to an average normal person had one been standing there. "I'll leave the decision to you, since I am not, myself, concerned with drawing the attention of anyone in nearby buildings."

"Hey, you can't offer me a fistfight and then try kick my head off," Wayward mock-complained; however, the look in his eyes was deadly serious as he continued. "But I'm more than happy to take you on without tricks, so I just hope you'll hold to that. The one thing I hate more than any other is cheating, so for my part I might as well come clean with you."

Dispelling his outer armour in a burst of silver, a change began to come over the Heroic Spirit. Thorns sprouted from every inch of exposed skin, until he seemed more porcupine than man. He took an experimental swing, and Stephanie could hear it audibly slice through the air even from where she was standing.

"This is one of my Noble Phantasms," he explained, "and the only one which should be relevant for our duel. A hit from one of these will probably tear right through you, so there's no way I'm going to use it. I mean, I doubt you'll remember this anyway because of my class skill, but I wouldn't feel good about fighting you without letting you know what I'm holding back." Then the barbs vanished as quickly as they'd appeared, and he assumed a battle stance. "Consider it a show of good faith."

Just who are you? his Master asked, face set in thought. I've never heard of an ability like this, and on top of that... why do you care so much about fairness as to tell your opponent what you have up your sleeve? And then don't even use the trump card you just revealed?

She received no answer, other than a smirk, before he focused his attention back on his foe. "I trust this will be a fair enough fight now? It's been so long since I've experienced a true battle between equals... so come at me, Servant Beast!" With that he sprang at the other man, aiming a punch at his torso.
    Last edited by Lenore; March 7th, 2014 at 07:52 PM.

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

((Wanderer's got rank A Endurance so yaaay))

Based upon appearances alone, Wanderer had expected his opponent to be fast, but he still couldn't help but be caught off guard by just how quick all his movements and attacks were. The best the pirate could do was raise his arms in defense of his chest, unable to move out of the way of such a rapid assault. The threads penetrated his sleeves and pierced his skin easily, embedding themselves into his forearms. The Servant proceeded to swear like a sailor, shouting all sorts of colorful expletives into the night sky.

"You &&&&ing picaroon! Lousy god damned scallywag! Pulling out the Phantasms already?" Gritting his teeth, Wanderer gripped the threads in one arm and yanked, pulling them out abruptly but keeping a firm grip on them. He repeated this action with his other arm, until he had all five threads clasped in his fist. "Your strings sting like the dickens, lad. A right swarm of jellyfish they are. But pain will fade with time. Well, most pain at least."

Strategically, he knew he should save his Noble Phantasms until the situation was looking truly dire. And yet the invitation created by his opponent's use of a Phantasm was just too good to resist. In a single fluid motion, Wanderer yanked on the threads in an attempt to throw Trickster off balance while simultaneously drawing one of the pistols strapped to his chest.

"Sixfold Flintlocks!" came the prolonged roar, as he proceeded to fire the pistol at Trickster's abdomen, before immediately holstering it and firing a second for good measure. No point in wasting all six shots at once.

((Sixfold Flintlocks is a rank C Noble Phantasm in which the wounds left by Wanderer's bullets leave a severe pain even after the injury is healed.))

Thread Information