Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fate/From Dust

Re: Fate/From Dust

"I know what I'm doing," Martin said while struggling to keep the facade going. "I'll see my goal through to the end, no matter what." The man was struggling inside to determine whether or not he was simply playing the part of the Servant or actually speaking what he felt. Whatever his intentions were, saying how little those lives were worth made him feel ill.

"But in the end, I'm Trickster. I would much rather strike a Servant of your power when his back is turned than right out in the open." He began to make his exit without removing his eyes from the enemy Servant. "I can only hope that this meeting won't be our last."

Once he was out of the museum, Martin made a beeline for the nearest alleyway. His legs went weak and he clutched his stomach in pain. Even if it was only for such a brief moment, staring down the Servant and showing almost no fear was too much for him to handle.

"Trickster, if you can hear me... do you think you can help me get back to my place? I don't feel too good anymore."

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

((Assuming Wayward's C-rank Magic Resistance lets him shrug off most of it. Stephanie's obviously not so lucky)).

Wayward? Catching her Servant by the wrist, Stephanie tugged lightly at him. Remind me, why did we want to talk to that man with the big smoking hat? It seems to have slipped my mind somehow.

He's one of our enemies in this War, right? He frowned. But this isn't like you at all. Did something happen?

Doesn't matter. I'm lost and I want to go home. She pulled at his arm again. The sooner the better, I have a splitting headache coming on.

Sorry, lass, but I don't know if that's the smartest move considering we need all the information we can get on these two. Since I doubt such a sickly-looking Master could cast an enchantment like this, keep your eyes on him. I'll deal with this troublesome Servant and whatever sorcery he's using.

Alright. Raising her gaze, the priestess found that focusing on the human of the pair did, in fact, help the pounding in her head subside. It helped that he was rather unimpressive to look at; how much of a threat could he really be, considering he seemed noticeably green? Let's do this.

"Listen," the Servant opened surprisingly pleasantly, "since we aren't allowed to fight yet, let's get the pleasantries over with quick. I'm Wayward, and this lovely lass is-"

"Lady Stephanie des Baux," she interjected, not taking her eyes off the other magus. "It's a pleasure to meet you, naturally."

"If you'll just give us your names, we can be done here. After all, our first true meeting should be in honourable battle."

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

Spencer was experiencing feelings extremely similar to Stephanie's, without needing to be under the effects of any Servant's personal skill. Were it not for the strong hand keeping a firm grip on the collar of his coat, he would be halfway across town right now, assuming his trembling legs could carry him that far. Here he was, quite literally within striking distance of at least one being who could kill him in an instant. Probably two beings, assuming the Master had any sort of skill in offensive magic, unlike him. His stomach churned uncomfortably, but could do nothing more on account of having recently being emptied on the ground behind them. Spencer supposed he was thankful that Wanderer was gripping him, for he doubted he could support his own weight at this point, and collapsing on the ground before his enemies would make him all too tempting a target, even if fighting was not supposed to start yet.

Wanderer appeared unfazed by the meeting, and though his posture seemed relaxed, his dark eyes looked as though they were holding back a torrent of aggression. The man doffed his hat, releasing a large plume that had collected underneath it.

"Well met. I'm called Wanderer, and this-" he lifted his Master off the ground, who responded with a flurry of swears under his breath, "-is Spencer Something-Or-Other." He abruptly released his grip on Spencer, causing him to fall a few inches to the floor. The sickly looking man's legs very nearly gave out from under him, but he managed to stay upright.

Alright, alright, we met these guys, now let's get the &&&& out of here.
    Spencer's eyes darted around as he communicated with Wanderer, looking for both a threat from the two opponents ahead of them, as well as for an exit. You said it yourself, we're at a disadvantage if the enemy gets to know us!

Pipe down, boy! I know what I said! But I also know that this game ain't gonna be much fun unless I stir up the waters!

What the hell do you mean stir up th-

"Honorable battle, you say?" Wanderer cackled, taking a step towards the enemy Servant. "With a title like Wayward, I can't imagine there'll be much honor involved in any battle with you."

A small noise escaped from Spencer. If one had been listening closely, it would have sounded like a very tiny scream.

"It's true that my honour is tarnished," Wayward conceded, voice calm despite the fact that he looked ready to rip Wanderer in half. "But if I was given the chance to repeat my mortal life, I'd undoubtedly make the same decisions. The sole mark upon my pride is one I'll wear gladly."

"Know this: the only noble form of battle is a duel between equals on the grounds of skill alone. Which is more than I was given, in the end, so count yourself lucky that I'd offer you such a thing." Very pointedly, he turned his back on the other Servant. "I think we're done here. I have no need to explain myself to you any further."

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

Wanderer looked suitably pleased by the look on Wayward's face, his own face being noticeably more grin than scowl on this occasion. His expression was at complete odds with Spencer's, who had quickly become as pale as a ghost and looked about as insubstantial as one too. The blood had drained out of his face the instant Wayward had started speaking, and was unlikely to return for several minutes after they part ways.

"Suit yourself, lad," the pirate said, almost pleasantly. "Not like I was interested in what you had to say for yourself anyways. As for you, missy," he turned his gaze towards Stephanie, "Tis a shame you got stuck with a sorry excuse for a Servant like this. But what can you do?" At this last sentence, he gestured vaguely towards Spencer.

"We'll be shoving off now. Enjoy the fresh air while you can, cause there ain't much of that in Davy Jones' Locker." With that, Wanderer turned on his heel and stomped off. It took his Master a few seconds to realize that the unpleasant conversation had ended, before he rushed off after his Servant, nearly stepping in his own throw up on the way.

Beast stood a few steps back, not saying anything during the conversation the other two had been having. After Martin walked away he stepped back forward and shrugged.
    "Videogames have gotten so complicated these days, I couldn't catch a word of that. Is this the new nintendo game?"
    He did his best to keep up appearances of ignorance. Shouldn't be too difficult, he thought, if the masters had met the day before, it was obvious enough he was not one, and he didn't look particularly heroic, hunched over in a dirty suit.

Then he sort of stood there awkwardly for a minute before walking away without saying anything. Talking to people he didn't already know was more difficult than he'd anticipated. Would be easier to communicate in other ways.

Meanwhile, several dozen feet away.
    Kyle stood watching from across the room, sneaking a bite of sandwich whenever nobody who looked like they'd have a problem with it was looking. When one of the group broke off and left, he tried to follow at a distance, or at least get close enough to try to get a decent picture. He saw the person dip into an alleyway, but didn't pursue. Instead, he opted to just lean against a wall, about a half block away from it. He had to come out sometime, after all. Just watching, for now. He kept his camera at the ready, figuring it would be useful one way or another. That is, assuming this person was even involved. By his own reckoning he had about a 50-50 shot of following nobody important, but it was not as if he could be spending his time in any more constructive ways otherwise. When Beast caught up with him, he told him to stand on the other side of the street, but not too far away, just in case.

Almost an hour had passed. Trickster had brought back Martin back to his penthouse, and the two of them were now staring over plates with small scraps of food.

"So you haven't told me," Trickster said calmly, "why exactly did you want me to bring you back so abruptly?"

"I just didn't feel well," Martin replied. What had actually happened was embarrassing to say the least. All it took was a stare from his enemy to completely demoralize him, a superhero. Sure, his enemy was a Servant, a being powerful enough to wipe every Master currently in the War out all at once without so much as breaking a sweat, but that didn't mean the experience wasn't an incredible blow to him.

"That's fair enough." Trickster knew there was more to the story, and likely could have made an accurate guess as to what happened, but there was no point in pursuing it. "Knowing when to fall back is one of the more important skills a man can have, so I applaud you for doing so."

"You don't have to tend to my ego like that."

The Servant said nothing in return, but instead got up, pushed some furniture out of the center of the living room, and sat down with his legs crossed. "We'll both need you to be at the top of your game tonight, Master. Will you please join me?"

"Join you? You want me to meditate?"

"Of course, don't you remember? There's no better way to regain your strength than giving yourself up to the world. So please, allow me to show you."

Martin did as he was told. He assumed the very same position as his Servant and tried to open his mind. Memories of both the day and everything up until then continued to clog his mind, and he couldn't quite let go. However, Trickster assured him that the process was gradual, and what he was doing was good enough for now.

"Yes, don't worry about failure, Master. Let the world and you become one." He paused before letting out one final whisper.

"And once the night falls... but not a moment before... we shall make our move!"

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

Toby was a bit confused by the abrupt departure of the enemy team, though he felt a bit relieved. Paragon seemed a bit happier than she should've at the amount of money that the duo left behind, and she and Toby shared a rather large portion of food; Toby, of course, getting less than a sixteenth of it.

----

The team had shared a long day together, the sky growing dark as the deep red of dusk faded away to the darkness of night by the time they returned to the hotel. Paragon opened the door to room 215, Toby following behind her carrying several bags from an impromptu shopping spree.

"Unf... I don't know why you made me carry these... you're so much stronger!"

"Exactly. It will do you good to grow some muscle, Toby."

Toby grumpled, setting the bags on the floor before letting out a loud groan and falling back onto the bed.

"Nuhhh... my arms are killing meeee..."

"Man up." Paragon let out a laugh, turning on the lights in the room before glancing out the window. "Ah... the first star is out."

"Hm?" Toby feebly turned his head over, glancing outside. "... So, it's nightfall. That means..."

"The war has begun." Paragon gave the magus a serious look. "Shall we go out?"

"Nnnn... give me a few moments, please."

"Oh, come on!" Paragon sighed, picking up a pillow from the bed and whacking Toby in the face with it.

"Ow!"

"It's a pillow!"

"Yeah, and a seven-foot something amazon whacking me with it! Still hurts!"

"Don't be a baby!"

THWUMP. THWUMP.

"Stoppit!" Toby picked up a pillow of his own, swinging it at the Heroic Spirit.

"This means war!"

"Bring it!"

-----

The two left about half an hour later, leaving a request for room service to clean up the mess of feathers and stuffing left in the room while they were out. The odd duo trudged out into the snowy city, planning to avoid a direct conflict tonight if they could, but see if they could glean any more information from the battles of others.

"Master, look around you!" Trickster said atop the roof of their base. "This whole city, shrouded in the darkness of winter. In the very same way that it provides cover for our enemies, it does just as much for us. With our wits combined, the Holy ReGrail War won't know what hit it."

"You're really excited by the thought of this War, aren't you?" Martin said, now armed with the Talon uniform. "Guess heroes of your caliber are always wanting to show off their stuff and there's no better venue than this, right?"

"Haha, you would be right." Due to the scarf covering his mouth, Trickster's jovial expression could only be read with his eyes, which were beaming with enthusiasm. Talon had a hard time not sharing the joy of his Servant, but ultimately, this was a War, and things had to get done.

"Well as much as I would love to share your enthusiasm, we have things that need to get done. We have plenty of time, but we might as well make the most out of it, so I suggest that we split up for now and call for each other the moment one of us spots a team. If we see a group fighting, well let's keep our eyes on them - after all, we may end up seeing some Noble Phantasms in action. Surely if a fight has went on, they'll be all the weaker for it, and that'll give us a much greater chance at eliminating a team."

"That thinking is befitting of a Master of Trickster."

"Heh, thanks. Now let's get ourselves moving."

And so the two leapt from their base across the rooftops of the city, ready to make their first kill.

Wayward had been staring out the window, presumably contemplating dark and brooding thoughts, until a pen flew through the air and plinked against his forehead.

"You're sulking again," Stephanie informed him. "Stop that, we have work to do."

"Alright." With a sigh, he rose from his seat by the kitchen counter. They had spent the afternoon shopping after meeting with Wanderer, and the Servant now wore the fruits of their labours: a t-shirt reading "I Got Shafted" paired with jean shorts. She had also managed to talk him into buying a long, heavy coat; it had, however, taken her pointing out that the only thing which would attract more attention than full armour would be short sleeves in an English winter before he'd given in. "What do we have planned?"

"You really are out of it." The priestess gestured at the city outside, which was beginning to light up. "It's finally night, which means that the Holy Grail War starts for real now. And I rather intend to capitalise on that."

The man glowered. "Are you sure? Even with your lousy Servant?"

"I told you not to be that way. It makes talking to you such a drag." Stepping over to the light switch, she flicked on the bottom-most button. Doing so caused a portion of the roof to slide back and a small ladder to drop down in its place. Cold air blew through the hole, along with the odd snowflake or two, sending an odd current through the otherwise cozy penthouse. "So, shall we take the high road?"

Wayward summoned his armour in a blink and sighed again, dematerialising. Fine. I'll see you up there.

"You're very intimidating when you're mopey, you know," she commented to the empty room, and was met with no response.

The night was chilly, but Stephanie found herself less bothered by it than she'd expected. Between her mother's Scandinavian blood and the fact that her cassock was, contrary to appearances, surprisingly warm, she felt more prepared than cold. Her Servant was silent by her side, pink bangs obscuring his eyes. This new quiet was arguably a worrying development, but she was sure he'd cheer up soon enough.

"I think I see something." He jerked his head into the distance. "Movement, and I'd say it's coming towards us."

She clenched her right hand almost involuntarily. It begins. The weight of her father's journal was heavy in her breast pocket, shifting against her heart with every breath. "Servant or magus?"

"Too hard to call from here." A seriousness had set in around his eyes. "Your orders?"

"We stay vigilant, Wayward." Her hair flowed around her face in the winter breeze that gusted by, the sensation icy and alien against her cheek. "And we face them here."

"Looks like I wasn't able to get the jump on you... A shame," the figure said upon touching down on across the roof from the pair.

The masked figure crossed his arms across his chest and assumed a very casual position. He could easily tell that the people he was staring down were both a Master and a Servant, so he had no reason to be so confident, especially when he was here alone, and totally unguarded from his Servant. However, he didn't falter or show fear - whether that was due to his mask or if he really felt it was another thing.

"I seem to have stumbled across a pair of Servant and Master... Would the Master give me the honor of a battle?" He looked to the side, placed his hand on the back of his head, and let out a groan. "My apologies, but it looks like my Servant won't be here for a while. I'm sure once he does get here, we can let the two of you fight, just as it should be for this War, but it doesn't do my heart good knowing I'd have to rely on someone else for all my battles..." He stared at the Master. "Especially when we have such a powerful Master as an opponent. I can tell from your garb that you're obviously someone of importance."

"So would you give me both and a battle?" I'm Talon, hero of Capital City."

Stephanie couldn't deny that she felt a certain grim satisfaction as it became apparent that the approaching man was exactly the Master she had most wanted to meet. By all rights she should've tried to pursue an alliance with him; there was no denying the symmetry of another des Baux-Red Wing partnership, but something about it made her uneasy. Too many questions had haunted her for the past decade for her to just smile and make nice.

"All well and good, but who are you really?" She advanced on him slightly. "More specifically, what relation do you have to the superhero known as the Red Wing? Or perhaps I should call him the late Elliot Teagan... either way."

Already resolved to a battle? Wayward asked, expression still scarily neutral. I won't stop you. Just don't get yourself killed, princess.

She inclined her head, half in agreement with her Servant and half in greeting. "I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea of fighting you here and now. But since you don't seem to recognise me, I won't grant you the honour of my name." Forcing prana through the scrap of paper she had placed in her balled-up fist, it grew and elongated into one of the blades which lined the walls of her apartment. Then she levelled it at the man, half-noting how tightly her hand had clenched around the hilt.

As it stood, the gesture was already a clear challenge - but she couldn't just leave it there. It would be unthinkable of her to speak her mind when faced with someone who wore the same emblem as Lord Hugh's only friend, but her self-control was eroding by the second in the face of her irrationally building anger. She closed her eyes, steeling herself, and then took another step forward. "Know only that I am the one person the Red Wing couldn't save."

I'm sorry for disregarding your wishes, Father. But there are some slights I just can't let lie.

"The Red Wing?" Talon said back, taken off-guard. "That name means nothing to me." He held back for a moment, thinking to himself before making a few steps backward and assuming a battle-ready stance - feet planted firmly on the ground and fists clenched.

"However, it could mean everything if you best me without having to draw out your friend." He laughed to himself, obviously happy with the arrangement that he laid out for her. "But miss, about The Red Wing... are you sure he even wanted to save you in the first place? He could save everyone else, so there's no reason why he couldn't do the same for you... provided he wanted to. Perhaps he simply didn't view you as worth it and left it at that..." Still keeping himself grounded, he put out his palm and gave the Master a gesture that said 'come get some'.

"I promise you this: I'll give you everything I know, just brandish your blades and have at me."

"You're lying," Stephanie answered a little unsteadily. "You have to be. I don't remember him too well, but the Red Wing was a kind man. From what I knew of him, he would never have abandoned anyone, let alone me. Never."

"Why, then, would you feed me a series of untruths? I can think of only one reason." Emboldened by her own logic, she strode towards him. "You're covering for yourself, because you know you're complicit in his sins." Readying herself, she took her Black Key in both hands. It wasn't built for close combat, but this would be an even more unfair match than it was shaping up to be if she fought from a distance. "In that case... it would be not only my duty, but my pleasure, to strike you down."

Oh man, her Servant commented gleefully, this is good. You two have a history.

Shut up, Wayward, she snapped, and raced towards her opponent.

Talon kept his guard up, seeking to keep as much distance between himself and the enemy Servant as possible before making his move. Once the female Master closed enough distance, he saw his moment, and leapt into action. Dashing towards her at a speed noticeably above human-ability, Talon gave up his guard, and instead stretched out both hands in front of him, fingers pointed outwards in his enemy's direction.

"Sinning is simply part of the job!" From each of his ten fingers, a jet of thread was propelled, both wrapping themselves around the female Master and striking at her hands as a means of disarming her. He then quickly pulled back, sending the woman into his arms. "I'm sorry to tell you that I know of no Red Wing."

"It seems that I have the two of you," the masked figure said to both the Master and Servant, "in a bit of a bind!"
    Last edited by Ark; February 26th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Two things became apparent to Stephanie far too late: firstly, that her foe wasn't human, and secondly, she had made a grave error of judgement. It felt like her capture had happened in a split second, and now she found herself bound up uncomfortably close to an absolute stranger. It was hardly working wonders for her temper.

"I see," she commented aloud, concentrating on making the words sound calm. "I suppose you must be a Heroic Spirit, then. And considering your perfect disguise, I'll have to go out on a limb here and name you as Servant Trickster. Am I wrong?"

Wayward, however, was noticeably less composed. He had materialised a long, steel lance taller than he was, and adopted a battle stance. Even from metres away, his Master had to resist the urge to shiver; the malice radiating off him was heavy enough as to be palpable.

"I hate people like you," he snarled. "You promised her a fair fight, and I had no issue with that, but now I'll have to get involved."

"As much as I can sympathise with your desire to crush our enemies, I hope you haven't forgotten that I am quite literally in the way of that," the priestess pointed out. Her heart was racing, but the familiarity of banter kept her focused. "Of course, I suppose you could always go through me."

"Get real. A fragile thing like you surviving a hit from the weapon of a Heroic Spirit? As much as I don't feel inclined to talk this situation out, that's a pretty stupid plan."

"Please, Wayward. Have a little faith." She concentrated, and soon enough her face was lit by an alien glow. An intricate mesh of green shone from around her neck, pulsing softly. "This is my family's Magic Crest, or at least the remains of it. Provided you don't strike any of my vitals or slice off any key body parts, the force of my ancestors' legacy will keep me alive. Worst comes to worst, we seek refuge with one of the churches while my wound heals. So by all means, lay on."

"You're &&&&ing nuts, princess. But I like it." Then he redirected his attention to not-Talon, grinning ferally. "What's it going to be, then, Heroic Spirit? Seems like the only one in any real danger at this point... is you."

Okay, Wayward, tell me this, the priestess queried silently. Are we bluffing?

The Servant shifted his lance from hand to hand as he awaited the other man's response, his smirk only growing. I don't know. Are we?

"The two of you are an... odd pair to say the least." The masked figure pressed the female Master's body even closer, as if to show them who was running the show here. "You would be right though; I am Servant Trickster, and well what do you know? You've been tricked - both of you even!" For one reason or another, Trickster didn't seem to care much for the possibility of Wayward actually going through and charging right through both him and the Master. It was probably more likely than not, given the situation at hand. His two enemies didn't have much else to do after all.

"I'm surprised at how willing you are to throw your life away, Miss... And how ready you are to take your Master's life, fellow Servant. Unfortunately, I feel like I can't actually kill you right now." Apparently whoever this Red Wing person was, they were obviously someone of importance to not just the loud woman, but also to Trickster's very own Master. It felt like something else holding him back to, but he couldn't show any level of doubt in front of his two enemies. "I don't need to hurt you because that wouldn't quite fit in with what... we have in mind."

Once again, he pressed the female Master's body against his. "I want both of your names and what those names should mean to me."

(Might as well post it in the thread for posterity even though basically everyone knows it by now, but Espionage: Rank A)

Across the rooftop, grey eyes met blue. Neither Master nor Servant spoke for a long moment, and then the woman nodded ever so slightly.

"Very well, Trickster. My name is Sister Stephanie, daughter of the late Lord Hugh the XII des Baux and rightful heir to his name and title. My father was- never mind." She shook her head, bangs rustling. "If your Master is truly related to the original Red Wing, then he should know what that means."

Wayward exhaled, and his whole body seemed to deflate. "My turn, huh? Well, sucks that I have to reveal my identity this early on, but..."

The priestess didn't mean to, but she sucked in an involuntary breath when the man spoke his true name. She'd heard of him, of course; what sort of person who knew the first thing about mythology hadn't?

"What do you know," she murmured to herself. "I really did summon myself the most powerful Servant in this War."

"Sure you did, princess." But Wayward still seemed like a puppet with cut strings, or perhaps a broken doll; changing the subject and trying to detract attention from his obvious turmoil, his Master turned her attention to her captor.

"Well? We gave you what you asked for." The Frenchwoman sighed. "Oh, but before you run off, I have a message I'd like you to pass onto this Talon. Tell him the following: if this is how low the legacy of the Red Wing has sunk, then he should expect no mercy from me when we meet next."

Spencer was lucky that he wasn't too out of shape, because Wanderer set a brutal pace. Originally the small gym he had installed in his bunker back home was intended to help fight off the possibility of heart attacks and other risks that came with being unfit, but its benefits also proved quite useful in keeping up with the huge strides that his Servant was taking. They had been traveling this way since having encountered Stephanie and Wayward earlier in the day, and Wanderer was evidently still pleased by his stinging remarks, judging by the grin under his beard and the gleam in his eyes. Spencer seemed to have recovered slightly from his near-panic attack from having been so close to an enemy team, though his hands still shook every so often.

"Wanderer, Wanderer, hey, we shou-Wanderer!" The Master had been yelling at his Servant's back for some time now, to no avail. Despite his best efforts, the magus found his temper getting the better of him. "Hey! God &&&&ing dammit man, we need to get to shelter! Fighting will be breaking out any minute now and will you just &&&&ing listen to me?! Wanderer, we need to-"

"If you intend on ordering me around, lad," the spirit said over his shoulder, "you best have the power to back up your words." He didn't turn around or even slow, choosing to keep walking in what appeared to be no particular direction.

Spencer fell silent for a few moments as his eyes involuntarily glanced at his own wrist. Pushing his sleeve up, he looked upon the three symbols resting there. He could take command, he could run this team the way he wanted, he could-

"And you best think long and hard about those command seals, boy. You can make me do three things, yes. But if you use the first for any reason, you'll want to use the other two to keep me from killing you." There was no light-heartedness in his words. They were cold and deadly serious.

"You... you can't... you can't kill me, I'm..." The hairs on Spencer's neck raised as he felt a hostility radiating off Wanderer unlike anything he had felt in him before. "You need my prana. Without it..."

Finally, Wanderer came to a stop. "Now I know you're a daft lad, but I'm sure you've some idea of the abilities that come with my class, aye? You've got a picture of what perks come with being Wanderer. Think those over, yeah? Then get back to me about whether or not I need you."

Wanderer stopped speaking, but didn't start walking again. There was far too much enjoyment to be had out of letting his Master stew in the implications and darkness.

The threads detached themselves from Trickster's fingers, followed by him stepping backwards.

"I could very well have taken much more than this, but it'll have to do for now." He addressed the Servant, "I'm surprised you're taking part in this War, Wayward. After learning your name, I suppose I should have plenty of reason to worry... But as long as the two of you remain as naive as you are, I should have no problems keeping the upper hand." Without another word, the ninja took a step back and fell from the edge of the roof, disappearing without leaving a trace of sight or sound.

---

Shortly after, on some other end of Pendleton, a familiar ninja was standing at the highest point of a building looking cool. His eyes scanned the city, looking for something.

"What the hell did you think you were doing?" he said to some figure in the shadows, finally breaking the silence. "That wasn't at all heroic, and if something bad had happened to her, what would our Master think? Especially with how the two of them must be connected in some way?"

"Oh come on, I'm sure the name Red Wing means nothing to him," the figure said while stepping out of the shadows, revealing himself to be the very same ninja who had brought up the question in the first place. Two Tricksters were staring each other down, obviously at odds with each other. "And if I had finished her off there, no one would be the wiser. We'd be down one team and one step closer to the Holy ReGrail."

"That doesn't matter, you fool! I was brought back as a Heroic Spirit, and I won't let you tarnish what I've become."

The other Trickster groaned. "Whatever works for you, I guess. At the very least, I'm sure our Master will be interested in how we now know both the name of another Servant and his Master's connections to our Master." This didn't seem to calm the Servant, but before anything could get more heated, a puff of smoke brought another similar-looking ninja into the group.

"I've detected another Servant," the Trickster copy said while detailing where he found the enemy. "We should rally our Master before they escape."

"Alright, now come back the two of you," the lead Trickster said. After the copies had burst into puffs of smoke, the original Trickster leapt away from the building in search of his Master. It was only a matter of minutes before he was caught up to where his Master was. He relayed both the information related to Stephanie Des Baux, the name of her Servant, and the location of one of their enemies.

"Stephanie Des Baux?" Talon said back to himself. "Unfortunately, the name doesn't ring a bell. I'll have to do some research in the morning. But that's not important for now - let's find that other Master."

---

Wanderer and his Master were in Trickster's sight.

There was no telling what his powers were, but chances are, they packed more of a punch than Trickster's own Noble Phantasms. Because of that, the plan was to draw him out, hopefully get him away from his Master, and then have Talon, who was situated on a building opposite to him, come in and deal with the Master. At the very least, they'd be able to get an idea on what exactly the enemy Servant's powers were.

There was no better time than now to strike. Trickster jumped from the building, and from midair threw a number of shuriken at the Servant at a blinding speed.

"Looks like someone hasn't kept their guard up!"

Wanderer hardly had time to react upon seeing the blur of motion out of the corner of his eye, let alone defend against the volley of sharp objects directed towards him. Sidestepping as best as he could, a few of the shuriken embedded themselves in the pavement behind him, though a couple found their mark in the Servant's shoulder and one knocked his hat off with a puff of smoke. The pirate grimaced, both out of pain and annoyance at having been surprised. Reaching up, Wanderer yanked the shuriken out of his flesh with a swift motion, tossing them to the floor.

"A man only needs to keep their guard up if they fear death," the man said, slowly drawing his cutlass out of its scabbard before leveling it at the opposing Servant. Looking down the edge of the blade, he tried to maintain eye contact to ensure that the ninja was getting the full effect of his Mystic Face. "A man who knows no fear is a man free of limitations." Then, without another word, Wanderer leapt forward, leaving a trail of smoke in his wake. The cutlass was swept in a wide arc, blade gleaming in the moonlight.

Meanwhile, Spencer was stood stock still, the blood having immediately drained from his face once again at the encounter with another Servant. Only this situation was so much worse. Night had fallen, meaning combat had commenced. And there was his bloody Servant, charging after the obviously much quicker foe, leaving him unprotected. His eyes darted around, looking for anything remotely resembling shelter or a hiding place. For a moment he considered a nearby alleyway, but if it was a dead end he would surely be trapped and killed quite easily. And there was no way he was chasing after Wanderer. Getting in the middle of a brawl between Servants would be fatal. Not knowing what other options he had, Spencer sprinted off in the opposite direction, racing down the street as fast as his wobbling legs could take him.

There was a long, awful silence after Trickster had gone; both Master and Servant seemed to be completely disheartened. At last Stephanie sat down on the edge of the rooftop with a heavy sigh, swinging her legs above the drop.

"I knew I shouldn't have done that."

"What, exactly?" Wayward asked, taking a seat beside her. "If you're talking about charging blindly into a battle against a Servant, don't beat yourself up about it. The blame is his for challenging you to a completely unfair fight."

She made an irritated noise; the encounter with the fake Talon had shaken her up enough as to make her openly angry, which was a rare occurrence. "I didn't go along with my father's wishes, and look what happened. I made an absolute fool of myself, and if that enemy Servant had been any less benevolent, our campaign might've ended there. In fact, it should've. This War was always mine to lose, and I've already lost it."

He rolled his eyes, but then opted for the more tactical response. "So what do you contend your father would've wanted in that situation? And who's this Red Wind everyone keeps talking about?"

"Red Wing," she corrected. "He was an American superhero who entered the last San Graal Holy Grail War over thirty years ago, and he struck up a treaty with another Master. They became allies and, later, friends."

"I don't even need to ask who the other person was, you know. You've made it pretty obvious."

"Yes, it was my father. And even though I don't know who this Talon person is under the mask, my duty was clear. I, too, should've tried to initiate an alliance. My punishment for digression from my family duty is obvious enough. I'm sorry, Wayward, for failing both of us."

The priestess's fist was shaking as she clenched it in her lap. Suddenly the motion stilled, and she looked down to see a larger hand resting atop her own.

"No," Wayward said vehemently. "Don't apologise."

"Why shouldn't I?" She barked a laugh. "It's only the first night, and we might as well have lost already solely because of my own indiscretion."

"Well," he commented, "because you decided to live for yourself for once. You knew what your obligation to your father was, and you flipped him off and did what you wanted."

She couldn't help but snort. "Dancing on the grave of my late father isn't necessarily something, I should be proud of, you know."

"You'll come around, lass. And I still haven't even told you the good news." Not even waiting for her response, he plunged onward. "Namely that I might've told Trickster a teeeeensy lie about my identity."

"So you're not-"

"He was... someone I knew well, but that was it."

Her Servant was clearly holding something back, but that didn't matter right now. Swinging herself back into a standing position, she allowed a tiny smirk to creep over her face. "I see. So we're still in this."

"Uh-huh. Now can we get moving? Even if I can't smash in Trickster's face anytime soon, I'd still like to at least see some action before we head back."

And he was right. The night was young, and the War was younger, and it'd take more than humiliation to keep Stephanie des Baux down.

"Let's go," she said, and jumped off the building. Wayward caught her mid-fall, exhilarated grin stretching his face, and then they were off rocketing through the streets.

Upon seeing the pirate bear his cutlass, Trickster did the same and drew his katana. When the moment was right, he struck Wanderer's blade with as much force as he could give, fueled by the velocity he gained in his downward descent. The sound of metal on metal made loud clanging and shrieking noises as the two Servants tried to apply more and more force to their strikes. Trickster's confidence felt unwavering as he tried to overpower his enemy.

Until he caught the pirate's face. The fear that struck him was unlike anything he would have ever expected from an enemy - it felt like magic in this sense. And in this realization, he slipped, and dropped his guard.

(And they were still totally still in midair while all this went down)

(sorry for taking so long for &&&& post but writing this felt HARD)
    Last edited by Ark; March 2nd, 2014 at 05:58 PM.

The violent pleasure evident in Wanderer's gaze grew increasingly more intense with each passing moment. The thrill of the battle, the wind blowing through his beard, the fear in his opponent's eyes. It was all so familiar to him, the only thing missing was the smell of salt in the air. He supposed he would have to make up for it with the smell of blood. A sharp cackle spouted from his lips the instant Trickster slipped.

Taking the opportunity for all it was worth, Wanderer drove his cutlass forward. He didn't especially want to kill the opposing Servant, not yet while he was still enjoying the heat of battle. Instead he opted to aim for a less fatal, but hopefully still painful, wound, the edge of the blade moving to pierce the arm holding the katana.

"&&&& &&&& &&&& &&&& &&&& &&&& &&&& &&&&," could be heard echoing against the buildings, coming from the small man running down the street about a block and a half away.

((Oh boy the first day in over a week where my schedule doesn't have to be 'do homework until 1 am'))

A meatball sub partially wrapped in wax paper and an eight pack of an energy drink were balanced tenuously on the dashboard of the van as it barreled down the wrong side of the street, Kyle explaining the plotline of a comic he enjoyed, and Beast not listening with his head out the window. After several minutes of this, Kyle started to realize each of those statements one at a time; first downing one of the drinks, then securing his sandwich by placing it in the cup holder, then remembering that speed limits existed and which side of the road was generally considered to be the polite one to drive on in this country, and finally realizing that his ally didn't particularly care about what he was talking about. Changing the subject, he decided that it would probably be best if they talked at least a slight bit about strategy, rather than just winging it like they both usually did.

Rolling up the window so that he could hear better, he asked, "So, uh, first night here, right. Most of the other people seem like they are probably more well informed about this and most other things than I am, but I'm not sure to what extent they know that. I mean I know that they know but I don't know that they know I don't."

"Of course."

"Now from what I understand, you seem to be pretty much the best at what you do, so hopefully one of the other servants does the same thing as you because you would be better at it."
    Beast nodded.

"So what I'm saying is, we are both very good at what we do, but not that good at other things, but they don't know that yet."

He took a hard turn, some things in the back fell over loudly.
    "So I'm thinking we can either lie about it and try to convince them that the thing we're best at is our weakness and the things we're bad at are what they should be worried ab- hold on"

He saw, down the street, what he thought looked sort of like one of the people he'd seen before, one of the other masters, and another person he inferred from context was probably a servant.

"I'm gonna slow down a bit," he handed Beast one of the drink bottles, "Lean out the window and throw this at them to get their attention, then I'll pull over at the nearest space that I can slow down by, we talk, maybe you punch something, worst case scenario is I get into a traffic accident running away."

Beast thought about the plan, and had some major apprehensions, but out of a mixture of respect and curiosity, only asked "Should I drink it before throwing?"

"That is entirely your call." He thought for a second or two, "But maybe you should try to intentionally miss, just so, like, in case that servant has some sort of total vendetta ability or would take it as a declaration of lethal force battle, or however this works. "

"If you say so." Beast said, taking only a sip of the drink before deciding it was entirely distasteful, opening the window all the way, climbing partially through it so that his entire upper body was hanging out, and threw the container, aiming for the feet of the runner. At this moment, Kyle slamming the steering wheel and brakes, to quickly swing the car around to a sudden stop, facing the opposite direction than he had been moving. At the stop, Beast jumped the rest of the way out the window, landing on the sidewalk on all fours for a moment, before standing up as straight as he could manage, and walking forward slowly while Kyle fumbled with his seatbelt and stuffed some of the sandwich contents that had fallen out back in.

((I think I had been supposed to be running into team Desbaux-Wayward, right? It has been a while since the conversation so I forget, so I left it intentionally vague in case I recalled incorrectly.))

Thread Information