Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super High School Level Discussion - A Dangan Ronpa Thread!

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Super High School Level Discussion - A Dangan Ronpa Thread!

tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

It's happenng! Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

I really don't know what to do anymore. I've been interested in the series for over a year now, but of course there wasn't an English translation back then. Now that the fantranslation is done, an official localization of the Vita remake of the first game has been announced, so I'll wait for this one. Last but not least, there's even an Anime now. On one hand I wanna watch it, but on the other hand, I don't want to spoil the game for me. I managed to stay spoilerfree for so long. This sucks.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

The anime is good (but not great)adaption-wise but its certainly being rushed along. I would wait until the localization if I were you.

...dang, now I need a Vita

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

yeah the anime is nice and fun to watch but not only is it not anything new, but it's definitely...zooming.

like the investigation of sayaka's murder was a grand total of what, 2 minutes?
    How do they expect people who don't know what happens already to follow the trial? It also pretty much all but robs the same group of coming up with their own inferences based on the investigation - instead of learning the questions that were raised as a result of the items that were found during investigation, all they know is WHAT was found. That doesn't tell them much of anything.

And it's not like it'd be difficult to devote more time to investigations, and I don't think anyone would really mind it.

but then again we've only seen one so far so maybe they'll expand them out as the anime progresses...at least I hope so
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles. Forum Veteran AuraKnight's Avatar

to be fair, most people have been spoiled with the LP, which not only goes through at a much slower rate, but is also thought out enough to give the reader lots of time and the right information to solve the case. It's an amazing let's play in that regard, because the readers are essentially playing along. Was kind of concerned that the anime wasn't going to be as compelling as the LP, and it seems like I may be right.

Also SDR2 update I don't know if DR updates are treated the same as upd8s but oh well.
    The game's purpose is revealed, and...that's pretty much it. Some hints towards the culprit, but nothing really obvious so far - seems like completely unravelling the mystery of the game is going to be the key to solving the murder.
    Home with the milk in the morning / Singing the same old song
    ---
    ---
    ---
    It really does not matter what you are called, or where your work is placed, as long as it brings some kind of joy to some person some place.
    - Charles M. Schultz -

So, it seems the anime is more for the people who've played the game (or read the LP). Well, director of the anime also directed Persona 4, so I suppose that was to be expected. But I have to admit, I caved in and watched both episodes. I mean, I don't even know if Dangan Ronpa has a planned EU release, I only know of the US one. The Vita is regionfree, but importing is still a hassle.

I didn't expect Junko to die, at least so soon. As for Sayaka, honestly, her death didn't surpise me. She seemed to only be the main character's childhood friend and in terms of story expendable.
    But damn, Monobear has an annoying voice.

interesting you should say that: Monobear is voiced by Nobuya Oyama, who is known for voicing Doraemon, an iconic cartoon character in Japan, and models Monobear's voice after it.

Essentially, it'd be like a villain being voiced by Mickey Mouse in America, and the goal was to create the juxtaposition of the iconic, family-friendly voice and tones with his sadistic personality.

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfice View Post
    yeah the anime is nice and fun to watch but not only is it not anything new, but it's definitely...zooming.

like the investigation of sayaka's murder was a grand total of what, 2 minutes?
    How do they expect people who don't know what happens already to follow the trial? It also pretty much all but robs the same group of coming up with their own inferences based on the investigation - instead of learning the questions that were raised as a result of the items that were found during investigation, all they know is WHAT was found. That doesn't tell them much of anything.
    ok I just have to ask... why did people expect something new storywise on an adaption? i mean, persona 4 the animation almost followed the plot to a tee and this adaption is made by the same team so yeah (plus if they ever want to make a sdr2 adaption it would seriously conflict with the ongoing story)

but yeah, i agree with you on the investigation segment. unless you've played the game/read the LP, most of these clues have no meaning and the ones that do only offer you small hints, plus, some clues in naegi's room were completely ignored. the class trial is gonna be... interesting and deus ex machine-y... to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by Elfice

And it's not like it'd be difficult to devote more time to investigations, and I don't think anyone would really mind it.

but then again we've only seen one so far so maybe they'll expand them out as the anime progresses...at least I hope so
    well, the rumors say this series is gonna be 13 episodes long

...thats preposterously short and I have to wonder how the heck are they going to fit in everything (except free time events haha sob) in only 13 episodes, especially at the rate they're going...

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    interesting you should say that: Monobear is voiced by Nobuya Oyama, who is known for voicing Doraemon, an iconic cartoon character in Japan, and models Monobear's voice after it.

Essentially, it'd be like a villain being voiced by Mickey Mouse in America, and the goal was to create the juxtaposition of the iconic, family-friendly voice and tones with his sadistic personality.
    And that's why I like it. As annoying as it is, it fits him with his twisted(?). At least from my observations so far.

I'm not sure how many of you here played the game, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask anyway. How long into the game was the first trial, also episode 2 ending? One hour?

Why must the series tease me so?

Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you here played the game, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask anyway. How long into the game was the first trial, also episode 2 ending? One hour?
    Well, I haven't played the game but the first trail is into the game longer than 1 hour. Remember, the anime is greatly speeding up things.

The game has a Prologue, 6 Chapters and and Epilogue. The chapters themselves are divided in 3 parts: Abnormal Days segments that focus on spending time with characters to raise the bond with them a la Persona's Social Links in order to get skills that are useful in Trials, (Ab)normal Days segments which focus on investigating for clues to be used in the trial (think Phoenix Wright) and finally School Trial segments which are self explanatory. And all these segments are rich with text, exposition and character development/interaction.

So it is quite hefty. I wouldn't be surprised if you breached the 2 hour mark just before the first trial.

I already know about the gameplay. Like I said, I was interested in the game for over a year already. I was just wondering how much the anime sped things up. And out of curiosity, I actually started playing the game.

Well, without rushing through things, I would say that from prologe to just before the first trial is 2 1/2 hours, including another half hour for the trial itself, so 3 hours from prologe to end of chapter 1. Makes me wonder how much time the trial itslef will take in episode 3, especially when the anime is rumored to be only 13 episodes long. There are also slight changes between the game and the anime. The training sword for example, in the game Naegi brought it back with him from the gym, in the anime it's a present from monobear, possible to speed things up storywise.

All I can say, after playing the game, episode 2 and the clues made a lot more sense to me. I have the feeling that the trial in episode 3 will have a lot of deus ex machinas for those who are unfamilliar with the game.

As for characters, I've to say that Kirigiri and Yasuhiro "that hair" Hagakure are so far my favorites. I also like Ishimaru a lot more than I previously thought I would. But if there's one character I can't stand it's Fukawa. Geez, she's so annoying.

I somehow forgot about this thread...

So, I finished the games a few games ago and obviously my opinions on the characters have changed quite a bit since then, besides Togami, I still can't stand him. Maybe I should spend some free time with him. Now it's time to wait for the official localization of Dangan Ronpa 1.
    I still can't believe that Hagakure survived though. He got dumber as the story progressed.

Speaking of which, I took a quick look at the official side to see how they translated the characters' SHSL skills:
    Spoiler: In case you wanna know 
    No word on whether it will be "Super Duper" or "Super High School Level" or something completely different though. At least I couldn't find any info on that.

Well, and Monokuma's name stays the same, so it's not Monobear. Personally, I'm kinda glad that we have official English names of the skills and Monokuma now. There are like three different fantranslations out there (the LP, PSP translation patch and Anime) and everthing uses different terms for the characters.

With that having said, I'm interested in Dangan Ronpa IF now, an alternate story where every character survives. So yeah, kinda curious how that works out. Luckily all the chapters are already translated. Maybe I'll read through it later this evening.

Ugh, I can understand changing the talents because some of them DO sound great but the majority just seem to have been chosen to overcomplicate things/have entirely different meanings from their talents.

Moral Compass? Affluent Progeny? Why not just go with Prefect and Heir, respectively, instead of overcomplicating stuff?
    Gangster? Otaku? The first one totally overplays Mondo's talent (He's part of a gang yeah, but he isn't a Gangster at all, its a biker gang) and while Yamada IS an Otaku, that's not his talent at all. His talent is making great Doujin's, which is an Otaku thing sure but its still not quite the same thing.

Personally, I'm more bothered by Monokuma, though. It just feels so unprofessional. Why not go down the full translation path and translate it to bear? It's as literal as it gets.

Pbbth, I'll get used to it soon but oh well, it just irks me because im used to Oren's terms.

Quote Originally Posted by 9yigas
    No word on whether it will be "Super Duper" or "Super High School Level" or something completely different though. At least I couldn't find any info on that.
    I heard somewhere in the SA forums that they're going with "Ultimate".
    I'm... surprisingly indifferent to the change.

To be perfectly honest, I had to look up what Affluent Progeny even means. I mean, yeah, I knew what Togami's SHSL skill is due to the other translations, but I've never hear this term before. I'm not a big fan of some of those translations either (isn't there a SHSL Gangster in SDR2 already?), though I have to admit, Affluent Progeny fits Togami because it is overcomplicated.
    I wonder how they will translate Kirigiri's and Ikusaba's SHSL skills though. I'm guessing Detective and Soldier.

As for Monokuma, I'm not really bothered by it. The way I see it, both Monokuma and Monobear are perfectly valid, depending on whether you look at Monokuma as a name or a term.
    There are multiple Monokumas after all.
    I mean, you don't translate names like Sakura either.

"Ultimate", eh? So it'll be "Ultimate (High School) Lucky Student" or "Ultimate (High School) Gambler"? Well, it isn't so bad. It sounds just as ridiculous as "Super High School Level" or "Super Duper" so it could be worse.

Maybe I'm just too glad that there will be an official localization for DR to be really bothered by the changes. I dunno. I just hope it sells well so we get the sequel as well. And maybe, as unlikely as it is, Dangan Ronpa If and Zero.

Hey guys

if you're ever being blocked by the SA paywall, someone archived onenren's Dangan Ronpa playthrough, so you can read through at your own leisure!

I'm two episodes into the anime and haven't played the games. Should I keep watching or just play?
    3DS: 5112 3747 3678

oops im late but anyways

Quote Originally Posted by 9iygas View Post
    Maybe I'm just too glad that there will be an official localization for DR to be really bothered by the changes. I dunno. I just hope it sells well so we get the sequel as well. And maybe, as unlikely as it is, Dangan Ronpa If and Zero.
    I don't personally care for DR Zero because while it does flesh out the backstory of the Dangan Ronpa world, Super Dangan Ronpa 2 does the same, even if its more superfluous than in Zero.

We shouldn't worry about If being localized. If Super Dangan Ronpa 2 does get localized, Dangan Ronpa If will be localized as well. This is because Dangan Ronpa If is a feature included in Super Dangan Ronpa 2 and I doubt they would cut it out just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fums
    I'm two episodes into the anime and haven't played the games. Should I keep watching or just play?
    If you have access to the game right now, definitely play it.

The anime is nice and all, but its really rushing along and all the character development is suffering because of it. Plus, you wont get a feeling for the story if you just watch the anime, what with it being forcefed rapidly to the audience.

So yeah, if you can, definitely play the game. If I remember correctly, episode 2 is just the Investigation Phase of Chapter 1 so you should be fine.

Anyone up for shooting some Monokumas? I kid you not, [url=http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/09/danganronpa-another-episode-features-an-army-of-man-eating-monobears/]A third-person shooter called Another Story is in the works[url] which takes place between DR 1 and 2.
    Here's the teaser for this game. Seems like you'll be outside on the streets as well. It also teases something at the and "And also 3". Probably Dangan Ronpa 3 or, although more unlikely, Zero's Escape 3.

As for Another Story I'm thinking about who the playable character (and the other girl at 0:27 is).
    At first I thought the PC was Mukuro, but when they said that the story takes place between 1 and 2, that made it impossible. She does look like Naegi's sister which would be interesting, but in her DR 1 appereance she didn't have an ahoge. As for the other girl at 0:27, the uniform and hair looks a lot like Fukawa/Genocider Syo.

So, it's been revealed who the playable character in Another Story is:
    Spoiler: Spoilers, duh 
    Link *spoilers*

Not only that, another playable character has been revealed
    Its
    Genocider Syo

And at the end of the anime last episodes Monomi appeared, hinting heavily at a Super Danganronpa 2 anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    Not only that, another playable character has been revealed
    Its
    Genocider Syo
    Where did you hear that there's be a second playable character? I'm kinda curious. And has it been confirmed that the second person is
    Fukawa/Genocider Syo? I mean that girl in the old trailer and in one of the newer screenshots does look like her, but we can't really see her too well. Like I already said, I think that it's Fukawa/Syo as well, but is there an official confirmation?
    I'm really curious about this game as a whole. A third-person shooter seems an odd choice for a Dangan Ronpa game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    And at the end of the anime last episodes Monomi appeared, hinting heavily at a Super Danganronpa 2 anime.
    Did you watch the entire Anime? I only watched the first four episodes and the pacing was bad. Did it get better or did it continue the "1 episode for murder/investigation and 1 episode for the trial" trend?

It was confirmed in these famitsu scans.

And in regards to the anime, yeah, it went with the same pacing
    I did watch it fully just to see the game in-motion and to see the differences adaption-wise, but it wasnt the best paced adaption.

Could have been worse, like Devil Survivor 2.

Alright, that sounds awesome. While playing Dangan Ronpa it was really easy to forget that
    Genocider is a scary serial killer, because she seemed more like a comic relief character. But damn, does she look scary in the final picture.
    It's gonna be interesting to see the outside world.

Famitsu said that some of DR1 cast will be important to the story. Well, I can definitely see
    Naegi, Togami and Kirigiri returning, they are easily the most important characters in the first game. I can't really picture Asahina and Hagakure having an important role in this game, they'll probably show up as cameo characters, if at all. Well, and the Despair sisters are dead.

And the Anime sounds disappointing, what what to expect when they only have 12(?) episodes to work with.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

So, the official English release is out now. I've been playing through it.

I have a question. The official version is based off of that Vita compilation release (except that it only has the first game). Apparently after you beat the game there's some School Life mode where you socialize with people without all the murder.

Is this socializing the same dialogue trees as in the main game? Like, is it new content, or is it a way to finish "S-Links" for characters you might not have finished during the main game?

If it's new content, I'll probably replay some chapters to get further in some people's relationship things (particularly the people who died).
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

So even though Dangan Ronpa just got released this month I recently read an update from voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch that SDR2 will be released in the Fall. Sure enough I've already found a casting list with a few of the English voice actors and I would assume Bosch will also join the cast. I pictured him as a good Komaeda but it looks like Naegi's voice actor, Bryce Papenbrook, will take up that role, which makes sense considering both Komaeda and Naegi had the same voice actor in Japanese as well. Maybe Kuzuryuu then? Regardless, I'm surprised how early this is coming out!
    Spoiler: Geno's Codes and Things

Thread Information