Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super High School Level Discussion - A Dangan Ronpa Thread!

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Super High School Level Discussion - A Dangan Ronpa Thread!

(also known as "Does this go in Gamer's Corner or Media Discussion? The Thread")

Here is the place to discuss all things related to Dangan Ronpa, ranging from characters, theories and even the sequel!
    Spoilers are allowed if they are put under the spoiler tags or spoiler boxes.

...That is, if you guys actually know what Dangan Ronpa is...

Spoiler: ----------------- FOR THE UNINITIATED! ------------------  

I got through the giant wall of text and I'm still interested.
    Good!
    ...Unfortunately, as you may know if you managed to trudge through the giant wall of text, this game (and it's sequel) were only released in Japan and no oversea releases are planned.
    Fortunately, there is a way for you to experience this game: Through a written LP! Thanks to the folks at the SomethingAwful forums (specifically orenronen), who translated the entire game for your enjoyment! It is the only way to enjoy Dangan Ronpa currently, so you may as well give it a shot!
    The sequel is also being translated in LP format!

Links (due to the nature of the SA forums, the threads could be unavailable from time to time)

Dangan Ronpa 1 LP [Status: Completed!]
    Dangan Ronpa 2 LP [Status: Ongoing]

Lastly, a Dangan Ronpa anime is being worked on and will be released this Summer directed by Seiji Kishi who directed the anime adaption of Persona 4.

Is it over? Can we discuss at last?

Yep!
    So how about it, have any thoughts? Comments? Complaints? Questions? Theories?
    Fire away!

Re: Super High School Level Discussion - A Dangan Ronpa Thread!

I was under the impression that Dangan Ronpa was a visual novel, but well whatever.

Anyway, I discovered DR a while back and instantly became super high school level interested! It just looks completely ridiculous and serious business and the art is just so great and everything is so well-designed oh god. I mean, look at that box art!
    There isn't much else I can say since I haven't tried it out/watched that LP yet, but I'm really excited for the anime.

Also, it's very worth mentioning tha a translation patch is in progress.
    Last edited by Chiffon; March 12th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

I've been seeing this all over tumblr this past couple of weeks, so I've been meaning to check it out. However, part of me also wants to wait for the anime, lest I get into the story and then have the thread taken down before I'm finished.

Decisions, decisions.

But yeah, this thing looks really great and unique and is definitely something that I'll be seeing in at least one form in my life.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    I was under the impression that Dangan Ronpa was a visual novel, but well whatever.
    I did consider posting this in the Visual Novel thread, but seeing how this is half-game, half visual novel (there's shooting and mini-games), and taking in account that its similar in style to the Phoenix Wright series (which, far as I know, isn't featured in the VN thread) I decided it kinda deserved its own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    I've been seeing this all over tumblr this past couple of weeks, so I've been meaning to check it out. However, part of me also wants to wait for the anime, lest I get into the story and then have the thread taken down before I'm finished.
    Though the thread seems daunting (Over 700 pages what), the game itself is less so. Sure, it has lots of text but you can probably finish it in less than a week, specially if you use the index on the opening post of the LP instead of trudging through the entire thread searching for the updates (like I did).

In fact, I recommend doing so, because even though spoilers aren't allowed in that thread, the constant speculation could unintentionally reveal plot twists.

Your call, though! It's certainly a long way until June :b

Love this series. Been enjoying the sequel so far, although I have two updates to catch up on. The guys at retsupurae did a interview with orenronen back during christmas, and you can listen to it on their podcast retsutalk. Warning, spoilers all over the latter half of this podcast. http://retsupurae.libsyn.com/16-supe...ricular-lesson

Can't wait for the anime so I can finally show this to all of my friends who are too lazy to read it/pay for an account. Also the parody thing Slowbeef was doing during the original thread was hilarious. And you should go threw the whole thread just to find those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    I did consider posting this in the Visual Novel thread, but seeing how this is half-game, half visual novel (there's shooting and mini-games), and taking in account that its similar in style to the Phoenix Wright series (which, far as I know, isn't featured in the VN thread) I decided it kinda deserved its own thread.
    Hmm, I see. Ace Attorney is usually considered a VN too, but since most people in this forum don't even know that visual novels exist, I guess a thread really was the best choice.

Anyway, let me just finish with some notable screens that the guys doing the translation have put up.

Spoiler: might be NSFW so uh... yeah 

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Yeah, I keep seeing Dangan Ronpa on tumblr and I looked it up a while back and it does seem interesting and all, but not really a fan of LPs and geez what's a PSP? I'll probably give the anime a shot when it comes out, though.
    Last edited by Lenore; March 16th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

I keep seeing this on Tumblr, and I normally wouldn't have cared if Doof didn't recommend this to me.

I might read through the LP when I have time, but at the moment, waiting for the anime.

Some Vita release being teased on Dengeki, it seems.

I wonder... what made them do this? I mean, it's not like it would sell more on the Vita right?
    What with it having a smaller install base and all...

paywall is down!

so get on reading it if that was keeping you back before

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

That's the terrible thing I mentioned in the OP. The SA forums have a paywall and it can go up at any moment and if you don't have an account then tough luck.

So yeah, take this as your chance if you wanna read it now!

Intro for the anime.

should be noted that the guy behind this show is Seiji Kishi, the man who did Persona 4 and is also doing the Persona 3 movie, so it should be at least good.

Spoiler: apparently spoilertagging doesn't work with this new theme 
    Last edited by Eruedraith; April 1st, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

so I finished the LP.

Overall, the entire thing was a very satisfying thriller/mystery, and was able to keep me off-balance and surprise me while also crushing my soul with super high-school level despair.

Favorite characters are still Togami, Yamada, Mondo, and Kirigiri by the end, though I liked Celes bunches too

also, there's a (highly spoilerriffic) side-story called Danganronpa IF, which is a more positive scenario based on the Easter Egg shown to the player after beating the game. A link, for everyone interested. It's also written by Ryogo Narita himself, also known as the guy who did Baccano!, Durarara!!!, and Vamp!.

Just a note. Don't read Dangan Ronpa IF until after you've finished Super Dangan Ronpa 2. Specifically said by orenronen. So I won't be reading that until it's posted in the thread. Don't know why he said not to read it. But I'd rather be safe about it.

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

I read the prologue a while back (a couple of weeks ago, I think?) and stopped for a while, but really I just couldn't get the characters and premise out of my head, no thanks to the rather sizeable Tumblr fandom. And although I'm actually reasonably spoiled on a lot of things, including major plot details, I'm still having a lot of fun reading the LP. Just finished the first chapter, and wow this thing does not disappoint. It's grim as hell, and the
    execution
    was really cruelly ironic to the point of being painful, but it's gripping as &&&& and I'm most certainly going to stick with it.

Favourite characters so far are definitely Leon and Togami. The former just struck me as being fun right off the bat (pun not intended, but very welcomed) and as for the latter... well, I'm a sucker for a certain kind of entitled douchebaggery in a character. As for characters I don't like, well, Sayaka really jarred me because she's such a generic female lead, but
    I love how that expectation was completely subverted by her early death. And when Naegi joked with Kirigiri about being able to read minds after the first trial... well, that was really sweet.
    The doujin author whatshisface bugs me too, but oh well. Oh, and Fukawa is annoying as hell and generally awful.

also sakura and aoi being good friends is objectively adorable
    Last edited by Lenore; April 10th, 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Well, I just finished reading Dangan Ronpa IF and wow, it was a blast!
    I really like "What if?" scenarios and this one didn't disappoint. It was a blast to see (BIG SPOILERS FOR DANGAN RONPA 1'S ENTIRE PLOT)
    Mukuru Ikusaba's character and what's her relation to Super High School Level Despair

Dangan Ronpa IF also finally made me realize how Dangan Ronpa Zero ties with the first one, and I think I have a hunch about what is gonna happen in Super Dangan Ronpa 2.
    But yeah, if you have finished Dangan Ronpa 1, then you can read IF without spoiling SDR2. It's very fun!

Speaking of which, SDR2's latest update made me laugh a lot, too bad I was spoiled on (BIG SPOILERS FOR THE 1ST CULRPIT)
    Teruteru's execution on Tumblr
    . Guess this goes to show that you need Tumblr Savior to even enjoy a thing on there completely unspoiled.

Well that was just gutpunch after gutpunch.
    I feel really bad for Hanamura. He just wanted to see his mom again. And that execution was horrible. Also screw Nagito and everything about him.

Jesus christ that execution was brutal.
    Oh, Hanamura, you were a perverted individual, but you didn't deserve to be fried alive. Also, yeah, I feel sorry for your Mom... Monobear really wanted to make you despair by not telling you what happened huh?

Nagito Komaeda more like crazy bat&&&& insane despair deluxe holy &&&&

there's going to be a new novel this summer that will detail kirigiri's past. I'm assuming that this will explain
    where she got those burns from
    . Can't wait to see them translated, whichever year that is.

new promotional visuals!

It's really funny that they're playing sayaka up as the heroine again
    anyone familiar with the game knows what's gonna happen here, can't wait to see how newcomers react to this. it'll be a real out-of-body experience to be certain.
    but what if sayaka really is the heroine this time lol

that aside, everything here looks rounder and simplified. while I can understand the reason (much easier to animate and model, for one), it's still slightly jarring to look at these different designs.

A bit of a bump, but for those willing to play the game rather than read an LP, Project Zetsubou has finally released its full game translation!

So if you're interested in the series and can't wait for the anime, it's there for you!

Do keep in mind that... well, it has different translation choices from the LP.

Seems Dangan Ronpa: Students of Hope and Academy of Despair and Super Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Academy are getting re-released on the Playstation Vita as a single game. In addition to getting the HD treatment, the Dangan Island mode featured in Super Danganronpa 2 will be implemented on Dangan Ronpa as well. The trial sections will be balanced difficulty-wise as well. The port will be released in Japan this October.

With this and the anime airing soon, could this hint at a future localization...? a Doof can dream.

Thread Information