Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Cute Little Poot

Re: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any plans of releasing this as a podcast on iTunes? I for one would subscribe to it for sure if it were on there.

"WHAT THE" -Waluigi and also me when my name & comment was read out loud

This podcast is still a lot of fun to listen to. The Zelda discussion was quite interesting, and it reminded me of this one article you people might know of. http://tevisthompson.com/saving-zelda/ Fun read, methinks! I've never really been a Zelda fan, but man, I've tried hard to like so many of the games. I hated Twilight Princess when I played through it and beat it, but looking back, I actually liked it quite a bit. I can't explain that, haha. The spinning top boss was awesome. I wish that item was more useful. I enjoyed of what I played of Link to the Past. I just need to get the courage to keep playing it, like Metroid Prime*. Ugh... And I'm rambling. I don't want to keep typing about random opinions about random Zelda games, man. But I'll say that the original Zelda is an interesting classic that I'll respect, but I'm not brave enough to explore or look up how to beat it on gameFAQs.

Someone in this thread mentioned putting the music break in the middle of the podcast, and yeahhh, that sounds like typical podcast stuff. That's a good idea.

*alternatively any Metroid game as they are all frightening to go back to after a break (except Fusion I guess)

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madmachine View Post
    PS: I loved it when you used Navi's "hey" to bleep out the word "hell". This podcast is gaining personality by the second.
    not too sure if the word was 'hell', though, hell is pretty mediocre, and wouldn't have needed the filtering.

Anyways, it would be nice if the podcasters could pick up on questions asked by the community, it may make for some additional material.
    Spoiler: Quotes 

Takes a kicking and keeps on bricking

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    Anyways, it would be nice if the podcasters could pick up on questions asked by the community, it may make for some additional material.
    I would already know a question *sneaky snake-y stealthy mode enabled*
    Give us a full review about that marvalous video that guy Davey made. Cause many would love to know what you think.

XD no ofcourse not! we should do some polls and some questions that the community as a whole would like you to awnser or to review.
    am i right?
    I made a video about the BitF comic 473: Gourmet Rematch! -> http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com...urmet-rematch/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx03kBaezGc

Before you Judge, I speak Dutch. Grammer errors and typos happen. Sorry for the inconvenience ^^

Expecting title? WAA. EllieBellie's Avatar

Really looking foward to more podcast episodes.

It's interesting, too.

With great topics, I can see it lasting.

Once a yellow, always a yellow, right? :( Sonicoreos's Avatar

Thank you so much for the latest episode! It helped me get through a 4 hour drive home
    I loved the cameo by your wife (?)
    Have you guys played Minecraft? It has a lot of those explore and discover features you were talking about!

Cute Little Poot

The Brawl in the Family podcast is the first podcast that I've ever listened to, but I must say that I really like it. I've listened to the first two episodes multiple times each ("multiple" should be read "at least five"), and I've laughed every time. And in my opinion, the longer the podcast is, the better, but that's because my job is fairly mindless and listening to the podcast gives me a great way to pass the time while I work.

As for comments about the discussions themselves, in the second episode Matthew during the discussion of comic 469, Matthew and Chris talk about the door repair charge of 50 rupees in Zelda 1 being equal to 1000 rupees in Skyward Sword. They claim it's due to inflation. I realized, however, that, according to Nintendo's official timeline of the Zelda series, Zelda 1 takes place a long time after Skyward Sword, so shouldn't inflation have gone the other way? Or am I just over thinking this?

I'm really looking forward to the next podcast episode, though.

I forgot to ask... who's the guy with the big head on the cover?

Th-that's not Chris, is it?

It's a ladder, guys. Pleading Eyes's Avatar
    In your heart. If you just belieeeeeeeve.

The girl in the podcast is actually me, guys. I walked into Chris' room while he was recording and just kept talking. Oops. I didn't think Matthew would keep me in the recording! Haha.

Dude, Matthew, you did an awesome job with these. I liked the ambient music you added to keep it interesting. Only thing I'd cut down is the intro for "Why did they do that". Otherwise, top knotch work. Definitely one of the better fan podcasts I've heard.

Can't wait for the next one! (I'll try not to pop in uninvited this time. Promise.)

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

The new podcast is up! Check below the comic.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

I have watched your podcast. I must agree with your assessment over the timelessness of games. I can add in a few examples of mine in it as well.

Both of us played Illusion of Gaia on the SNES. It was niche and it was fun.

Now, let me bring up two PS2 games that are timeless in my opinion. They include both Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2. They contain city-building, which I find fun. Dark Cloud 2 is the better of the two. It not only has improved city-building, but it has fishing and a golf-like game as well. The cel-shading of Dark Cloud 2 is extremely well done and its story is memorable. The characters are extremely memorable as well. I still remembered playing it extremely well almost a decade ago.

Most video games of the 2010s are just very much déjà-vu to be honest.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

If you see this message, I came back to see everything. I miss this forum in the old days :c Vi's Avatar

Great to see the podcast is back again!

Now I have to say, when you were talking about Mario and the WiiU tablet I was going off my head.

Retro Studios MAKE METROID OR STARFOX ON THE WIIU. (Or some other company) Why? Because both games can really shine with the WiiU tablet.

Spoiler: My opinions about WiiU Tablet needing more attention 

All and all these were just my opinions I wanted to share when you were talking about the WiiU tablet needing more attention. Can't wait to hear the next podcast!
    "Freeze!....Or don't, I don't care. "
    Spoiler: RAVE DANCE PARTY GO! 

It's good to see a new episode of the podcast! Fun listen. I chuckled at that "remix" at the very end, heh heh. Drunk Waluigi it does indeed sound like.

And yeah, I'm sure many share those opinions on New Super Mario Bros. games. I didn't like the original NSMB, and NSMB2 doesn't look that much better. NSMB was, um, bland, I guess. Not a great art style, boring power ups, etc, etc. I thought NSMBWii was a really good improvement! It's still not the greatest visually, kind of lazy feeling. But the power ups, the bosses, the co-op... it's so enjoyable! Heck, the co-op itself makes it worth playing. But yeah, wish they could try harder to make it more interesting, like not using the same world themes, lol. I'm guessing you could skip it and play the Wii U version instead, haven't played that one.

I was actually excited seeing the trailer for Super Mario 3D World. It's true that it's disappointing that it's not the next big Mario game. But as a kid, I dreamed of 3D Mario co-op, man. Not quite what I visioned back then, but still. I once talked with my friends about how it'd be more interesting in NSMB if the different characters had unique changes, like in SMB2. And look at what they did here! The classic SMB2USA set up. Beautiful! I'm betting Wart is waiting at the end of this game, which would be refreshing from the usual Bowser. Cat power up looks potentially fun.

And much how I think NSMB portable -> console is an upgrade in game quality, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a good upgrade of 3D Land. Because honestly, I thought 3D Land was really boring. It was like a watered down Mario Galaxy. Even the final bonus level barely had anything to it. Egh. And not to mention the lack of boss variety, heh. I always have trouble going more indepth about my disappointment with that game though. Oh well. I liked it better than NSMBDS at least.

... Man, it's so easy to type video game opinions. My opinion must be known, all must accept it as fact! Muahaha! Yeah, yeah.

I appreciate Earthbound's style, but I could never get into it. I'm too impatient, and the battles were too boring for me. In general, I have a hard time getting into RPGs like Pokémon. I'm not really controlling a character, I'm telling them what to do! I'm mashing the A button to issue the same command over and over. I do blame the game for that, but really it's my own lack of patience. I do like the style and humor it has.

So yeah, fun podcast. Would love to hear more, as always! It's nice to hear your thoughts when making some of the comics.

Waddle Dee

"candy level"

shameless plug for Chester

Forward mail to Cas Warner

Well, that was fun.

I'ma just post a few things:

-I swear I recognize that opening theme from somewhere, starting at around 0:55, but the only place to which I can pin it is a dream I had that was probably inspired by something else I've heard.

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl led directly to me downloading Super Metroid. If they'd had a demo of Earthbound on there, I don't know where I'd be. (If and when I acquire a Wii U, I'll look into it. Your description of Japanese and American reactions to the Mother series are intriguing and the description of it as a "vacation" that comes full circle at the end, based on what I know... man.)

-"I've been thinking. You know what we need? I'll tell ya... we need a scary tunnel, right over there. Not a candy-making tunnel... just a scary tunnel. You know? Something that'll really freak people out when they go through it, like show bugs crawling on people's faces, chickens getting their head cut off, you know... they're not making candy, though, they're just getting their chickens' heads cut off. Yeah, that's an acredible idea... we need a scary tunnel." (Seriously, though, that's a good series of ideas.)

-They had a space level back in Super Mario Land 2... but I can't call one to mind since then... and now I'm trying to attach any kind of a theme to the last regular level of Super Mario 64. 'cause... wow. Good idea, anyway.)

-I know you've heard it, but a collective bravo on the "squeaky wheel" campaign.

-"I made it a comic!" with reverb sounds like the kind of thing that could be a "thing".

...and that message is amazing...
    Last edited by Caswin; August 21st, 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ...and a very plausible and charming "HEY!" aside, getting the quote right. Margins were off.

Waddle Dee

I liked the podcast, as always, but I'd like to give a few suggestions as well:

1. Move the music break to the middle of the podcast. It would make for a nice transition from one topic to another (or as an intermission).

2. Consider making the podcasts shorter (45 min - 1 hr), but releasing them more frequently instead. I understand that health issues prevented more frequent releases up to now.

hello I was out of town for a few days and can't give my two cents on the diamond dog comic ahh well.

anyway I was listening to the podcast and enjoyed it even though I like art video games I think they're of thing that needs to happen. anyway I fired up my 3DS to look for earthbound because I wasn't sure what would happen to it if I thought it on my wii when I finally got around to getting the wiiu not there by I look forward to seeing it happen if I could just go on and continue playing on the WiiU.

as for timelessness I think it's an intangible quality just like game character. I mean I'm only looking forward to Wind Walker HD if it's a game they wanted to make with the other dungeons they were going to do.

Ohh my comment on the diamond dog can go here and it's I would get a Demo just to see if that really works.
    Last edited by Shepherd; August 20th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Once a yellow, always a yellow, right? :( Sonicoreos's Avatar

I know I am really late, but thank you so much for the podcast! I loved it!

There is no way I can identify the NES song, as I never had a NES and you said the game is obscure. Good luck for whoever else tries to get it. They have an app for that, right?
    Today I skipped straight to the WiiDS discussion. "Not only that, but he can guarantee that this will either happen, or not happen." I'll be holding you to that. It looks like Sony's already aiming for a console handheld hybrid, however.
    Last edited by Ian; September 10th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.

Waddle Dee

What was in the menu there before? Links?

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

It was RSS, which is now at the bottom of the main page. Links was there a long time ago; it got replaced by Fan Works.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    It was RSS, which is now at the bottom of the main page. Links was there a long time ago; it got replaced by Fan Works.
    From comics 507 and back, the Podcast Link still leads to the RSS. Only the latest couple actual lead to the new Podcast section.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

WE'RE STUCK ON A DIFFERENT PLANET KCrules's Avatar

Really enjoyed the podcast! I've been horrendously busy lately due to the fact that classes have started, but it's nice to wind down with some BitF. To be honest though, I kind of missed the silly comments Chris and you have after the "end" of the podcast, but overall it was enjoyable, and you have made quite a number of good points. I am quite intrigued by the idea of the "WiiDS," but let us see what Nintendo do within the next five years or so.

Good luck to those looking for the NES songs because I myself is not capable of such a task!
    “Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development." - C. S. Lewis

The podcast is as fun to listen to as ever. Having trouble thinking of anything in particular to mention though.

Good song choice when you started playing something from DKC2. The problem there though is that the song is so good that I started to zone out and miss what you guys were saying, lol.

The idea for Nintendo's next console is interesting, although I dunno if they'd do it. I guess we'll find out in a few years.

Takes a kicking and keeps on bricking

OWWW! If you could just have used "Lufia II Battle #1 Theme" (or Estpolis for the old folks)
    I wish I was a fossil who could instantly say what song that is. Damm my youthfullness ^^ (It is actually so weird I know the Lufia II Battle1 Theme XD)
    I made a video about the BitF comic 473: Gourmet Rematch! -> http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com...urmet-rematch/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx03kBaezGc

Before you Judge, I speak Dutch. Grammer errors and typos happen. Sorry for the inconvenience ^^

Thread Information