Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

Chris and I are trying something new! We've recorded our very first podcast, so give it a listen here, and let us know what you think. In particular, taken from the blog post:

Here’s the thing: the podcast is a surprising amount of work with editing and such. Making it took about the time that two comics would normally take. So if I did a semi-regular podcast (one every 2 or 3 weeks, basically), it would mean one less comic within that “chunk” of time. Basically, the podcast would “be” the update several times a year (they’d come around as often as color comics, in other words). Is this a worthy trade-off to you? Let us know!

Episode 1

[Act 1] Introduction (00:01) - Matthew and Chris introduce a potential new chunk of BitF, complete with a new theme song and a few familiar themes you may recognize.

[Act 2] Game Discussion–Fire Emblem: Awakening (01:28) - Series newcomer Matthew has finally opened his heart to this long-neglected franchise, and it is good. He details what makes the game so compelling, and why Nintendo fans should give it a chance. Later, the guys talk about Nintendo’s odd handling of digital distribution.

[Act 3] Comic Talk–467/468 (23:07) - Phantoon’s odd optical orifice is discussed here in more detail than anyone would probably want to know, as well as the original idea for comic 468 – Magic Tomes. Rated E10+ for talk of mythical Japanese monsters that have an eyeball for a butt.

[Act 4] Why Did They Do That? Nintendo Doomsayers(32:52) - A section built for a little venting, Matthew directs a bit of uncommon ire towards the constant negativity floating Nintendo’s way. The guys chat about post-launch droughts and what Nintendo can do to help their perception.

[Act 5] Leftovers: Trauma Team (42:33) - An impromptu segue gets everyone talking about the semi-overlooked Wii classic, Trauma Team. Chris discusses his fresh thoughts on the game, having just beat it, while Matthew remembers it fondly.

[Act 6] Music Break: “Fire Emblem Main Theme” (45:57) - This section is all about giving you guys a remix straight from Matthew’s (dad’s) keyboard. This time around, in the spirit of the podcast, the Fire Emblem Main Theme.

[Act 7] Closing Comments (48:00) - That’s a wrap! Please disregard the comments about the store for now, as we had to close it for a bit! But we hope you enjoyed listening.

[Epilogue] Patty and Selma’s Amazing Duet (48:43)
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Acta est fabula, plaudite! Twisted Roselia's Avatar

Re: Brawl in the Family Podcast Discussion

The podcast seems like a good idea. I wouldn't really mind if the podcast would be the update every few weeks.

And I've just finished listening to it; what you said about Fire Emblem: Awakening has really made me want to play it when it comes out here in Europe...
    Your comments about Phantoon eating and kappas were very funny!
    And you talked (briefly) about TRAUMA TEAM ! Yay for my favourite game that I've never played! (Why was it never released here!? ) Since I've only watched a playthrough I can't really comment on the gameplay, but I agree about the characters needing to be developed a bit more (especially Tomoe and Hank). The Trauma series needs more love.
    The Fire Emblem remix was beautiful too.

Tumblr | Art and plushies thread! | YouTube
    3DS: 4785 - 5293 - 6706

That may have been the goofiest podcast I've ever listened to just because of one of the musical introductions. I think it was the one for "why did they do that", heh. That put a smile on my face. This podcast was a nice listen, er, nice thing to listen to, er... it was enjoyable. But having to decide between a podcast and more comics? That's a toughie. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more podcasts at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    [Act 3] Comic Talk–467/468 (23:07) - Phantoon’s odd optical orifice is discussed here in more detail than anyone would probably want to know, as well as the original idea for comic 468 – Magic Tomes. Rated E10+ for talk of mythical Japanese monsters that have an eyeball for a butt.
    You know what they say... hindsight is 20/20!

ANYWAY, I really liked it. I'd hope to see more in the future (unless it gets in the way of the comic, of course). I especially enjoyed the music at the end. I've always liked the Fire Emblem theme song. It feels really emotionally charged, which, for music that got its start on the bleepy 8-bit Famicom sound chip, is really saying something!

I was a bit disappointed about the amount that you talked about the comic... why not discuss some previous strips? Like the layered horses one... I really liked that one!

Overall, 9/10.

Funny, insightful, and overall quite entertaining! A++, would listen to again.

This also marks the first-ever Podcast I've ever listened to, but that's besides the point. It was a mighty good listen from start to finish! Loved the Fire Emblem song as well.

The comic talk was fantastic and funny. Perhaps you should have a segment in which you'd pull a past comic number (or more) out of a hat or something and discuss those comics, then crumple those numbers out to avoid any repeats in future podcasts. Just an idea, of course; feel free to make like a Subrosian and do whatever.

(also the ending segment had me in stitches)
    Last edited by Yoshistar; March 5th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Twitch / YouTube / Livestream (old)
    Yoshistar Galaxy - Streaming good ol' Nintendo shenanigans for all to watch and enjoy!

Hey look it's Pac-man! Your day is now ruined. Cerd's Avatar

OH MY GOSH!! A PODCAST!! I LOVE PODCASTS!!

It's been a while since I've wanted to hear another English podcast. The last one I accompanied through the end was 2P Start, and it was only because TB was a guest in one of them.

Also, could you put a download link of the podcast? It's just that I usually like to hear podcasts on my phone while I'm on the way to my collegue.

edit: Nevermind, I just figure it out that the link on the thread is already the download link.
    Last edited by Cerd; March 5th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

"Don't mind me, I'm just here being silly..."

click on my non-existing pokemon eggs and you will gain imaginary internets!

And now for something real:Here is my steam

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

I personally liked it, found it humorous when you said you liked to goof around with what could potentially be canon. The ending music sequence was cool as well, I enjoyed that, even though I've still never really played fire emblem.

Also, you could call yourself the Bee Eye Tee Eff Podcast.

And the brown eye joke made me recoil a little. Well played.
    Spoiler: Quotes 

I don't visit this website for podcasts. I did listen to your thoughts on Fire Emblem, however.

I'm incredibly excited about these podcasts. Definitely going to be listening to them all in the future.
    Also, Why did they do that intro is hilarious.

I enjoyed it I rarely listen to podcasts since I'm so picky :P But I definitely would love to hear more of it
    ~*Ribbon*~

I enjoyed the podcast and I would love to hear more. It's nice always hearing the inside thoughts of a webcomic author. I'm also happy that I found something to replace the 2P start podcasts. My favorite parts were the end, gotta love The Simpsons character imitations, and the Fire Emblem medley remix, which was amazing.

Cute Little Poot

This was AMAZINGGGGG!
    If I had to change anything, it would be to add a section about underrated/underplayed games and maybe go a little deeper into the comics part. Maybe some commentary on classic BitFs?
    A+, though. Love it.

If you see this message, I came back to see everything. I miss this forum in the old days :c Vi's Avatar

So far, I'm digging it.

I've listen to other podcasts like Roosterteeth's, Brainscratchcomms', and Retsupurae's but it feels really great for a podcast that's original, has somethings that are different.

Plus it makes a very good listening buddy while doing homework.
    Will be listening more and more as they produce! Thanks Matt and Chris!
    "Freeze!....Or don't, I don't care. "
    Spoiler: RAVE DANCE PARTY GO! 

Animator & CosPIX Artist Chozo Boy's Avatar

Phantoon's tongue was asked about, so I figured I'd point out that this anatomy was visited in Other M.

Unused version of it:

In addition, if you've ever seen a frog eat, you know that they always close their eyes while they swallow. This is because they push insects down their throat with their eyeballs. Phantoon is a ghost and probably doesn't need it's mouth, but hey?

Waddle Dee

Was this in any chance inspired by 2PStart's old podcast? They always punched one out every week, maybe you could ask Ray for tips?

Hey, you talked about Trauma Team! Oh, you know, that game I JUST BEAT YESTERDAY AND IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME

But, um, I would rather the comics be the update, rather than the podcast. I always enjoy waiting to get home from school to read it with my little sister, and she doesn't really like 45 minute long podcasts that aren't funny-ish. Though, that's just my opinion. In terms of quality, excellent work. But maybe you could branch out to different subjects every time it's made? Just throwing out ideas.
    3DS: 5069-4096-2101

"Guidance to the one who holds determination."

Welcome to my lair. (also known as tumblr to the not cool kids)

Cute Little Poot

That voice...I'm guy-swooning.

Waddle Dee

The podcast definitely need to be cut down in size by half.
    Last edited by Sebby19; March 6th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

I believe that the podcast should have two versions: one combined (as it is right now) and one broken up by section.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

*rushes to the forums*

I came as quickly as possible. The podcast is good! Perfect level of casual and informative with interesting discussion. Perfect for anyone who hasn't followed many podcasts (like me) and can be intimidated by long archives of old topics, so I'm super glad I found this early. Good job and keep it up, *out of breath thumbs up*

Hey look it's Pac-man! Your day is now ruined. Cerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebby19 View Post
    The podcast definitely need to be cut down in size by half.
    I disagree. I think the lenght of the podcast is fine as it is, in fact, if it were to change the duration you should make it longer.

"Don't mind me, I'm just here being silly..."

click on my non-existing pokemon eggs and you will gain imaginary internets!

And now for something real:Here is my steam

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PowerMiner's Avatar

I listened to it, pretty funny and fun to listen to, you guys should do more at some point. But the comics are also really awesome and a choice is impossible for me. ._.
    Smash WiiU Challenges: 139/140 JUST 40 SOMETHING CUSTOM MOVES LEFT
    Smash 3DS Challenges: 133/135

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

I listened to the podcast. I thought he said "Matthew Toronto"! The BitF theme sounds interesting. I agree with Matt that Nintendo is not declining, despite all those naysayers. Yes, GameCube games can look "kiddy" (such as Wind Waker), but the PS2 has games that has the same graphical style, such as Dark Cloud 2 (both games are very fun by the way). Nintendo is very much like Apple, in which they design hardware and software that integrate with each other very well. Thus, going third-party would harm their IPs.
    Last edited by The Kirbinator; March 7th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

Looking back at that podcast... you spent a lot of time discussing the interactions between Awakening characters. Specifically the romantic ones.

shippy shippy shippy

I want that forum to DIE. Just make that happen. Keeby's Avatar

I really liked the episodes with all its segments!

The idea of a podcast for BITF is also pretty cool and was executed nicely, and I could look forward to doing stuff while listening to the podcast.

So does anyone else think the podcast should be weekly?

Thread Information