Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Circles

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Circles

If it would be a problem for me to play a main character, then no.

That said, I'd like to play a character of some sort, though obviously they wouldn't be a member of the main party - perhaps an antagonistic character would be best?

It wouldn't. I consider every character to be pivotal. Plans can be broken down with one unexpected move; if every character can change the plot in a grand way, then every character is very influential, no?

We can discuss the characters and stuff via PM. PM me on that stuff.

Everyone else, signups are open!

The punch is mightier than the sword Forum Veteran PokeMarioGuy's Avatar

And there we go!

Name: Clyde Walton

Circle Type: Wind

Alignment: Neutral Elemental

Group: Well he goes with whoever pays him, so he's not technically in a group

Backstory: Clyde has lived a normal life in Mugenmaru as an Elemental. He always liked to mess around and have fun. Those who knew him would never really deem him as 'serious.' It was not until he was 17 that he discovered his element. Since then things never really changed much, except at that point he got to screw around with nifty powers. Clyde moved out of home a year later to live out on his own, but he managed to fall onto hard times. So he applied for a position as a guard. During training he found out he was rather proficient in firearms, and from then on out he always carries a pair of pistols. Passing training, he was positioned on a gate to the north (there's one of those right?). For the next 8 years until he was 26, Clyde worked as a guard, seeing some of the deportees firsthand. By the time he reached the age of 26, he grew bored of guard life, 'resigning' by not showing up to work for about a week. A year passes and Clyde is still in need of money, so with his experience as a guard and the city in the grip of paranoia, he has essentially sold himself out to the highest bidder.

Personality: Clyde is rather carefree and casual. He enjoys a good joke and whatnot. While he has worked as a guard, he still is not a big fan of 'keeping order'. That is to say, he could hardly care if the rebels took over, or if they were all dead. It all stems from his desire for money. Living on his own was difficult and money was tough to come by. Whenever he came across a couple of bucks, he would feel so happy. So he figures if he has a good amount of money, he will be happy.

Appearance: A height of around 5ft 7, Clyde has a rather thin build. He has long black hair that reaches past his shoulders. His left ear is pierced. He wears an open, black jacket that reaches his waist. Under the jacket is a simple white shirt. He wears a pair of slightly baggy brown pants with a two holsters on his waist.

ABAGAHIGAJIGGAWHAAAAT!?!?! We are supposed to post our applications!?!? ergaberasmr........

But I digress...

Name: Tigas

Circle Type: Voice (Voice starts simply as being able to persuade feeble minded people, but can eventually control even the most strong willed people. With skill, Voice can also create intimidation, fear, and if truly skilled, love.)

Alignment: Antagonistic Outsider

Group: Silver Crows

Backstory: Tigas was born into a noble family, renown as the finest warriors in the land. To continue the legacy, his family sent Tigas to join the Guards. Although he did show some prowess, he wasn't the cold-blooded killer his family wanted him to be, often preferring to make criminals see reason above violence, making him a disgrace to his lineage. One day, while persuading a murderer to have coffee with him tomorrow, his circle appeared. He soon realized the weak-minded man would do anything he said, including literally jumping when Tigas said so. He quickly saw that he could use this ability to get vengeance on the horrible people of the city, who hated and disowned him. Tigas was just as clever as he was persuasive, however, and so took the best plan he could imagine: He talked the guard of the family vault into opening the door, and then killing himself. Tigas then entered the vault and took the families' prized Regal Dagger. He then proceeded to go to the local bank and took out a loan (of the ENTIRE bank treasury), and then finally walked out of the city. Once on the outside, he persuaded a few outlaws into joining him. Together, the band of skilled bandits founded the Silver Crows. Together, they plan to infiltrate the city and teach all the pompous patrons within a lesson.

Personality:Tigas is a sly trickster, and is very untrustworthy and underhanded. He is incredibly intelligent, and is a master strategist. Tigas prefers not to be directly involved in violent situations, instead making others do the dirty work. Although a criminal, he is a gentleman, although he won't allow manners to get in the way of his goals. Tigas rarely feels sympathy for his enemies, although can be truly emphatic to those with fates similar to his own. He very rarely is afraid of anyone, as he usually is thinking far ahead of them. On a somewhat stranger note, he has a golden pocket watch that he often checks.

Appearance: Tigas is of average height with slightly above average build from guard training. He has short, straight black hair and green eyes. Tigas wears a regal, open green overcoat with large golden buttons and who's back billows when he walks. Underneath, he has a plain royal blue shirt. He wears black jeans with brown, leather shoes. In his inner coat pocket lies the Regal Dagger, with a glistening golden hilt and an expensive emerald blade that glistens when swung.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Fairly sparse, but I've been writing this character for over a year, so I usually don't feel much need to go in-detail.

Name: Ion Heart

Circle Type: Nightmares (basically, can cause people to hallucinate or fall asleep and dream as he wishes, giving him the ability to visually fool people or mind rape them - stuff like that. However, those that are either aware that he's using his abilities or have strong wills can resist these powers.)

Alignment: Ion's a mercenary, pure and simple. He works for the highest bidder - at least, that's what he claims, but often he has ulterior motives when it comes to choosing his employers. He has no allegiances except to himself. While he isn't an ally of the City, or its people, he's not an outsider sympathizer, either. Unless they have money.

Group: Himself and the highest bidder, in that order.

Backstory: Ion started appearing in and around Mugenmaru about five years ago as a mercenary, and has since built a reputation for himself.

Personality: Cold, practical, and often cruel, though he has his own twisted sense of honor under it all.

Appearance: Ion has prematurely graying hair that he keeps clipped short, and often dresses well, with a good shirt under a comfortable vest, and a blood-red ruffle tie at his throat. His comfortable dress pants are a gun and a knife.

I have another concern regarding stats and such:

What exactly differentiates the difficulty of one task from another. For example, If I wanted to pick a lock, I would need smarts. But by the present system, doing that would be no harder then, say, being smart enough to answer the world's hardest riddle. As another example, it would be just as easy to bust down a solid steel door as to move a heavy boulder. All I'm saying is that there should be some difference between stat related tasks. In fact, by the present system, tasks would become easier as time went on.

You make a valid point...I may need to think more on this.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

Name: Markus Grenich

Circle Type: Trees (the manipulation of; be that assisting it's growth or making seeds float in midair [I call it Pineconesis])

Alignment: Neutral

Group: Terraformists (A group dedicated to make areas outside the city more hospitable... or not yet, it's still in very early development)

Backstory: Markus loved trees. He loved all sorts of plants, curious by how they seemingly never stopped growing. He realised his circle at a young age, when he gleefully realized that he instantaneously made cress grow (He had it in his sandwich that lunchtime), and during his childhood, he had used his powers in a casual sort of way, just going into parks and making trees grow larger. Now in his teens, puberty has made him more emotionally susceptible, and is now trying to create a group over the internet called the terraformists, and believes that when he's sorted, he can just go out of the city and start doing what he pleases.

Personality: he is a boy who is usually laid back, but he's naive, and genuinely thinks he can change the world. He is cheery, and self confident, but this leads to him being hardheaded.

Appearance: he is tall, dark haired, and slightly better built than the average. His choice of clothes are brown trousers, complimented with a forest green hoodie. Underneath, he wears an olive t-shirt, and wears some dark coloured walking boots.
    Spoiler: Quotes 

As for the difficulty problem, I've decided this; simple coin flips. Coin flips are done five times, in a best of three. Heads is successful, tails is...well, not. If one happens to lose the encounter, it simply means that the action will fail in some way or another. Granted, doesn't really solve the 'difficulty' problem, no? Well, I've thought about it...why not just add more coin flips with an increase in difficulty?
    Last edited by SBSam; February 20th, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Clarifying about the problem of difficulty.

Do you really need a combat system like this at all? can't you just RP as the other side, much like some of the other RPs where they properly react instead of just saying that they took damage. Alternatively you could just look up D&D rulesets, but that's more like your standard RPG while full on RPing is like playing monster hunter, you have to rely on your wits or something iunno

up to you, this is merely a suggestion.

Eh. Felt like being inventive, but for simplicity's sake, we could go for a simple reaction battle system.

year of the salmon Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

I'd just like to chime in here and suggest reaction-based combat. Admittedly I'm not incredibly huge on stat-based stuff, since it's no fun if your success or failure depends solely on luck. It's at least important to reward players for being inventive or clever sometimes, which luck often doesn't do.

be my mirror, my sword and shield

I was also wondering (I hope I don't sound like an idiot when i ask this), is this RP going to be character driven, or is their a specific storyline that you plan to follow. I am getting the feeling it is the former, but I would prefer to be safe.

"I will become ruler of the world!" itsameluigi1290's Avatar
    Hell. Oops, did I say Hell? I meant Iowa. Hard to tell the difference.

Question time! If my character had to do with lazers, what would the circle's element be called? Simply Lazer? Or something like Energy? I'm new to the whole RPing, so I hope I'm not a burden.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Hey now, this is the SSB4 News Thread, not the "Let's Wax Philosophical with Zork Party Fun Hour".

To answer the first question, half and half.

The second? Control over lasers...I guess may be it's own kinda outside element, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by SBSam View Post
    To answer the first question, half and half.

The second? Control over lasers...I guess may be it's own kinda outside element, yeah.
    Well, the character I want to post has a robotic eye (ORIGINALITY), and it (The eye) can shoot lazers, so is that fine?

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Hey now, this is the SSB4 News Thread, not the "Let's Wax Philosophical with Zork Party Fun Hour".

Hm.

That really depends. Cybernetic enchancements...I guess aren't too far off from a slightly more futuristic high tech city. However, it would be kind of redundant; the eye can shoot lasers, but the character can already shoot lasers using the circle. It seems a bit pointless, but I guess it can work in some situations. But again, it's rather redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by SBSam View Post
    Hm.

That really depends. Cybernetic enchancements...I guess aren't too far off from a slightly more futuristic high tech city. However, it would be kind of redundant; the eye can shoot lasers, but the character can already shoot lasers using the circle. It seems a bit pointless, but I guess it can work in some situations. But again, it's rather redundant.
    DO NOT WORRY, I have an explanation! She can use the eye lazer in conjunction with the circle if she transfers most of the enrgy from the circle into the eye, making a powerful attack, but it drains her quickly!

...I actually just thought that up right now :/

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

The circle is a limitless energy source, run by one's life. How's this;

The eye is used for visual purposes, but has no other enhancements other than being able to store some energy that the circle provides, and fire it into a concentrated beam; if the user tries to take in too much, the eye bursts, and is unable to be used unless repaired...assuming the user lives through an explosion inside of the eye socket.

Why would a laser eye even be needed?

If he can shoot lasers anyways, a laser eye would just blind him while in use...
    Yes, I'm debating putting somone into this, but I must ask a question first.

EDIT: Count me in, but I need to my laptop before I can put my char in the form.
    Last edited by Meta-Mind; March 11th, 2012 at 07:45 PM.

...She. Yeah, I'm probably gonna drop out. I guess my character won't work well with this. And just to let you know, my character (Heather) was made A LONG TIME before I found out about this, and I just wanted to see if she could work with this atmosphere. Sorry for asking the questions, since it was kind of for nothing. Also, it isn't just a laser eye, it acts like a scouter, showing statistics and stuff. Besides, she woudn't be blinded, she has a normal eye too. I WAS 13 WHEN I MADE HER UP, so that might explain it. She works fine in my stories, but not circles. No offense, it's my character that wouldn't work.
    Last edited by itsameluigi1290; March 12th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    ...She. Yeah, I'm probably gonna drop out. I guess my character won't work well with this. And just to let you know, my character (Heather) was made A LONG TIME before I found out about this, and I just wanted to see if she could work with this atmosphere. Sorry for asking the questions, since it was kind of for nothing. Also, it isn't just a laser eye, it acts like a scouter, showing statistics and stuff. Besides, she woudn't be blinded, she has a normal eye too. I WAS 13 WHEN I MADE HER UP, so that might explain it. She works fine in my stories, but not circles. No offense, it's my character that wouldn't work.
    well then, why not MAKE A NEW CHARACTER so you don't USE THIS CHARACTER and maybe you could SAVE HER FOR ANOTHER RP or something.

if you use a NEW CHARACTER, you are A LOT MORE FLEXIBLE with WHAT YOUR CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE.

or maybe, maybe, CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER a little so that THEY FIT INTO THE DESCRIPTION.

why are we EVEN JUST GOING INTO CAPS and then out again?

I have NO IDEA! *medicface*

...Srsly, though. Can help you make a new character or alterations. If ya need anything, we're here. And for more specific things, I'm here.

Hmmm... Interesthang.

I'll have a character by noon.
    I am so mad right now I'm gonna bob my head up and down.

Spoiler: Noteworthy quotes (some make sense in context '-') 

If there was a broom Pokemon, it'll become the best sweeper taiwanman0610's Avatar

Name: Blub

Circle Type (Representing what element/talent/whatever): Food (uses food to attack. Ex. Banana to slip opponents, pie to the face, etc.

Alignment (Who you're with; the outsiders? The elementals? An insider that's friendly?): Friendly insider.

Group (You can make these up, so long as you explain specifically what they're about and what each group's goals are.): Gourmets (A group to eat, eat, and eat. Tries to search for the most delicious food item ever.)

Backstory: Before he was born, Blub's ancestors had proven their worth to the leader/president of Mugenmara, and was allowed to live inside the city despite originally outsiders. When Blub was little, he spent a lot of time at his uncle's restaurant. His uncle made him a lot of his different dishes, and Blub ate them delectably. Over the years, Blub grew fatter and fatter as he ate his uncle's food. Now, he lives his life as a gourmet, traveling and eating everywhere. However, unlike other gourmets, he is not picky about what he eats; if it's food, he eats it.

Personality: He lives for food. Whenever he sees something that might be edible, he runs over to smell it, and sometimes tastes it. He is most often seen being greedy and sometimes plainly arrogant, but softens up when he's dealing with people that he finds..... alright.

Appearance: He is pretty obese, but also pretty tall. Well, let's just say he's a huge person. He wears a red t-shirt and blue shorts. He has various scraps of food near the collar of his shirt. His face is sometimes seen covered with whatever food he last ate.
    Last edited by taiwanman0610; March 20th, 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Changed age and personality, added more backstory.

Thread Information