Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The BitF Technical Support Thread

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Re: The BitF Technical Support Thread

Deleting a system file is very rarely a good idea(if ever).

What was the message that popped up near the top, the issue about why it blue screened?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    Deleting a system file is very rarely a good idea(if ever).

What was the message that popped up near the top, the issue about why it blue screened?
    "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed."

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Kirb's Avatar

That's odd. Try going into Control Panel and uninstalling 'Catalyst Control Center'. Then go back and reinstall your drivers.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

I have gone onto my laptop, and for some reason, it has changed to windows classic, and I can't change it back to aero. After troubleshooting, it said that I should enable the Desktop Windows Manager. After searching through for it, the DWM was already activated. I tried getting the aero theme / windows 7 theme, but it is actually stuck on classic.

I am assuming that it is because yesterday I downloaded an update for messenger plus, which I only did because it prompted me. I am tempted to do a windows restore so that it reverts to a state created last week, but before I do that, I just want to check if that's a good idea. Is it?

Edit: Nevermind, I reverted it. No biggie.
    Last edited by Captain Panda; February 24th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes 

SSBBrawler, if you're still having those problems with ATIKMDAG.sys or whatever, I found a help document on the AMD website.

I downloaded one of their patches just now. I'll let you know if it works.

Hug the Bowz Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

help my video card sucks ass

weh I don't know enough about this stuff to know what I should be looking for... but I'm pretty sure the rest of my computer is good enough for running things, it's just the intel video card that's dragging stuff down.
    I want to be able to run minecraft at a higher framerate/without straining the rest of my computer (ie. you know when that extra fan kicks into high gear? yeah that happens idk), also kinda wanna get some steam games like Portal 2, TF2, etc (Portal ran pretty well on my computer actually but I'm sure it could look better too; Spore runs fine too but pretty much all my graphics settings are on their lowest possible level when I play these games.) and be able to actually play stuff on my computer that looks decent. (maybe skyrim, what the hell.)

My current video card thing is an Intel GMA X4500 Integrated; I'm sure that's on the lower end of things but it gets its job done, haha. I don't know what kind of price range to look in, but I'd really like to avoid going over $150 (because realistically I'm assuming something really good is gonna be over 100; I wouldn't like to go over that but hell it's an investment isn't it). Maybe my RAM has to do with running things well too, but I think 4GB is plenty, right? my CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 which I think is also pretty well off.
    also with basic knowledge of how to open up a computer and not destroy anything, how hard would it be to change the graphics card thing?

another thing is I was considering maybe installing a better fan on top of the CPU, y/n

whoosh

The problem with integrated video cards is that they're built into the motherboard, so you couldn't replace it even if you wanted to. Integrated cards draw off resources from other parts of your computer (CPU, RAM, etc), while dedicated cards have their own processor and memory. A solution would be to get more RAM and/or a better processor, but I'm not entirely sure if that will help. Another solution would be to get a new computer entirely (with a dedicated graphics card so you can replace it later) but I'm sure you don't want to do that.

Your computer's specs were pretty good in 2008, which is when most of the parts in your computer were new. Now, it's lagging behind. I'd say the best course of action outside of buying a new computer entirely is to get more RAM, or replace your CPU (but replacing CPUs are difficult, not to mention expensive).

A better fan for your CPU is only necessary if you notice your computer warming up considerably while gaming or the fan spinning really loudly.

Hug the Bowz Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

weh ; -;

oh well, I guess a new computer will be the investment I make in two years or so. Oh well, thanks anyhow!
    at least it's not a matter of being unable to run games or programs at all!

I've been using a laptop over the summer, since my desktop doesn't have a monitor.

Anyway, the Wifi of the laptop is not working after the trip I was on the last couple of days.

Would connecting to different servers have an impact on my ability to connect to the internet?
    Also, I had magnets in the car. They aren't powerful, and they were beneath my backpack, which was full of clothes, which my laptop rested on.

I've tried all the fixes the laptop recommends, from resetting the wireless network connection, to getting new IP settinga for the network adaptor, to turning off our modem for 10 seconds.

I'm utterly confused at what's happening.

EDIT: I reset my modem for the third time, because I had nothing else to do. And this time it worked. I don't need help anymore.
    Last edited by SSBBrawler; June 24th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Self-Styled Hero

I think this thread is the right place to ask about this. Shopping for a laptop has brought up a question, and I could use a little advice on whether or not one of the available upgrades would be worthwhile or not.

The laptop offers two choices of processors. One is 2.6 GHz, can be overclocked up to 3.6, and has 6 MB of L3 cache. The other is 2.7 GHz, can be overclocked up to 3.7, and has 8 MB of L3 cache. Both are quad core I7 processors (for whatever that's worth).

Obviously the second one is faster, but how much? The GHz difference looks small--I can't tell if I'd notice that difference or not. I don't know much about how L3 cache affects performance, but it's apparently faster than RAM. Again, I don't know how noticeable an extra 2 MB would be. Also, I intend to use the laptop for a long time--would the difference be noticeable in the long term?

My understanding is that I don't get to upgrade later, so it helps to have my facts straight beforehand. Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated!

EDIT: I've done a bit more research and answered my own question. Most people say the difference is miniscule, and the only time you'd notice it (if even then) is if you're doing something that uses the whole processor, like video rendering. The consensus is that the money you'd spend on a processor upgrade would be better spent on more RAM or a solid state drive, which will cause noticeable performance increases.

So that answers that!
    Last edited by Agent Gold; June 27th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Jake is clearly the best Alpha kid Jacio's Avatar

While I dislike having to bump and older topic like this, my laptop has run into a bit of an issue.

On Friday last week my computer battery refused to charge and I watched as it slowly went down to 0% and died. As it refused to charge, one of those "Replace your battery" warnings also popped up. So I went online and ordered a new battery. Said battery came in today, and it is what I'm using to type this on my proper laptop, rather than my Mom's. This is where the problem comes in.

You see, the battery's not charging. The AC adapter is properly hooked up and the outlet has power, but the battery still refuses to take charge. At this point, it may be the adapter that's causing the problem, or maybe the battery isn't compatible with one part or another. I'll provide any more information if needed, but I just wanted to know if any of you had any idea what's going on. My laptop model is an Asus K50I, if curious.

EDIT: After a good bit of shenanigans, I've found out that it was the AC adapter that was giving me the issues. Thanks to those on Skype that gave me some advice though, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Jacio; August 17th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 4527-7763-8009
    Your chumhandle is startlingAnnoyer, and you have a sssmall bit of trouble ssstopping thisss one sertain letter.

If there was a broom Pokemon, it'll become the best sweeper taiwanman0610's Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but I thought my problem would best go under this topic.

The other day while playing my Wii, I found out that my SD card had reached its maximum capacity. I tried to copy all of my data from my old SD card, the one that reached its capacity, to a new SD card that can store more data, from 256 MB to 2 GB, specifically. I started by copying all of the data from the old SD card onto the hard drive of my computer. Then, I copied all of the data from the old SD card that are on the hard drive to the new SD card. After that, I inserted the new SD card back into the Wii. However, even though the data on the two SD cards are exactly the same, when I inserted the new SD card into the Wii, none of the games that are on there appeared. Like, the channels for the games wouldn't appear on the SD card menu on the Wii. However, the channels from the old SD card do appear on the SD card menu on the Wii.

My question is, why won't the new SD card show the channels/games on the Wii even thought I copied all of the exact same data from the old SD card?

<E> Problem solved. A different technical support helped me find the problem. Apparently it was a problem with the SD card I used initially. I copied the data over onto a different flash drive and it worked!
    Last edited by taiwanman0610; January 21st, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

^ Just a guess, but maybe Nintendo put in some kind of protection against copied files. (So you can't give your friend a copy of a game you bought, for example.)
    If this is the case, can you copy the stuff from the old SD card to the Wii and then move it to the new SD card?
    ~"AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!" - Mad Jack~
    Art Thread []

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be forum users pretending to be cowboys. Sansato's Avatar

Youtube is acting bizarre. Everytime I open it up in Chrome, the page crashes and a button appears telling me to download and install some sort of update. I tried this only once and my computer essentially rejected the download request. I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't like it whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Every EULA ever
    Do you like our products and/or services? Give us your immortal soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirikyuse View Post
    Youtube is acting bizarre. Everytime I open it up in Chrome, the page crashes and a button appears telling me to download and install some sort of update. I tried this only once and my computer essentially rejected the download request. I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't like it whatever it is.
    Do you have a screenshot to provide more information about this? This can either be some problem with Chrome, a problem involving spyware, or you don't have the most recent flash player.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be forum users pretending to be cowboys. Sansato's Avatar

I have one now. Here it is in the spoilerbox.

Spoiler: what is this anyway 

Seems like you're not the only one. Try that.

Now I asked you already: is this only in Chrome? Have you tried with any other web browser?

I just opened it in Firefox and it worked without any trouble. Chrome doesn't want to even let me into youtube at the moment, so I guess I'll either have to wait or keep using Firefox for the rest of my days.

fire cannot kill a dragon Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

sighs deeply

so today I installed eight more gigs of RAM because why not, bringing me to a total of 16 gigs of RAM. I'm running 64-bit Windows 8, and my motherboard is MSI 890GXM-G65 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD (if that's even the right info to list here, hell if i know). Both certainly allow for more than 16 gigs of RAM, yet for some reason, when I check my system properties, even though it recognizes that 16 gigs are installed, only 12 are usable. Equally strange is that when I only had 8 gigs, all 8 gigs were usable. My BIOS is current, and unfortunately, there's no option to remap memory from the BIOS menus.

and i have a feeling i'm going to get "why do you even need 16 gigs of ram just be happy with 12", and the reason why I'm getting frustrated by this is that I paid for 16 gigs of RAM, I want my 16 &&&&ing gigs
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

Necrobunp

I have recently purchased a samsung galaxy tab 2. It is nice and large, however whenever I try to type a forum post, the screen snaps to the top of the page, so that I cannot see what has been typed without having to scroll all the way back down, only to be snapped backto the top as soon as I start typing.

Are there any configurations I can make so that this doesn't happen?
    Spoiler: Quotes 

Thread Information