Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Maaaaaaario

Now sending file "tyranitar_sandstorm.bke" Bucken-Berry's Avatar

Re: Maaaaaaario

Looks cool. It'll be really nice to wash down SM3DL's mediocrity with some 2D platforming. I'm hoping this game has a lot of the stuff NSMBWii was lacking, like taking Yoshi everywhere, for starters.

Also, what's up with the title? Why 2? Why not 3?

EDIT: Just realized something, if in 3D Land the Super Leaf gives you the entire Tanooki Suit, then how do you get just the raccoon power alone?
    Brawl: 2793-5866-7066
    White 2: 1464 4342 6887
    Diamond: 2364 6969 3752
    Black: 1893 1040 7122
    MKWii: 2965-8537-1459
    3DS: 0044-2803-6292
    Dream Suite (AC):5600-2360-9411 (updates everyday!)
    Be sure to check out: Rare Gamer Forums!

Achtung, baby! Today, we play it my way! Forum Veteran Ark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    Me too. And people complain Sonic 4 is a rehash... Seriously, I think they're running out of ideas. All the new games are just sequels to old games these days. SM3DL was fun, though. I'm hoping we get a new Strikers game soon. Those were MAJORLY fun. I wonder what Rosalina looks like in the soccer outfit.
    People didn't complain about Sonic 4 being a rehash (people wanted a retro-styled Sonic game!); they complained because the game, well, it sucked. There was poor design, most notable with the boss battles and a few puzzles, and the physics weren't all that great too. Not only that, but the game felt too expensive for what it was (a short, bad game).

The New Super Mario Bros. series may be the face of 2D sidescrolling Mario games now, but that doesn't mean the games will be bad at all. When it comes down to it, these graphics are simply giving us a familiar look, and the actual gameplay of the New series, while simply being standard Mario-fare, is still pretty good, and definitely fun. The fact that these games destroy most other Nintendo games in terms of sales is an example of that, and not an example of Nintendo "running out of ideas".

Forum Veteran Forum Veteran Sonic's Avatar

People actually did complain about Sonic 4 being a rehash, and quite justifiably, too, considering it had level themes that were night-identical to ones from Sonic 1 and 2, as well as re-used bosses from said levels that the themes were ripped from (though it looks like that'll be limited to Episode 1, thankfully).

But yeah, they also complained about that other stuff (also fair points).

I don't think NSMB2 will necessarily be as rehash-y as that - even NSMBW, though it does re-use the first game's world themes, has a lot more variety between individual levels in each world than Sonic 4 has between individual acts in a zone, as well as original bosses - but it'd be nice if there was a little more in the way new stuff than gold enemies and a "new" power-up that effectively already made it's comeback in 3D Land. Since we don't much about the game yet, I guess it's a little early to make a judgment on the game, but judging from what happened in the first two NSMB games, I'm not expecting a whole lot.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
    Skype: UWHuskies178 | 3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269 | Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik

Quote Originally Posted by Bucken-Berry View Post
    Just realized something, if in 3D Land the Super Leaf gives you the entire Tanooki Suit, then how do you get just the raccoon power alone?
    The Tanooki suit in SM3DL only lets you glide to the ground slowly, no flying or becoming a statue. Once you beat the game, you get Tanooki suits with a red scarfs around the necks. This lets you turn into a statue when you ground pound as well as glide. Still no flying though, which I hope is possible in NSMB2.

So yeah, New Super Mario Bros. 2... GAAAAH! Inconsistent naming hurts my head so much!

Not to mention, I THOUGHT I was excited for this... But then it turns out I wasn't. The only thing that really itrigued me was that they actually used Raccoon Mario instead of Tanooki Mario. It seems they paid attention to the people who kept whining that the Tanooki Suit was basically NOT the Tanooki Suit, but rather Raccoon Mario, so why even bother making it the Tanooki Suit...

People like me.

But yeah, nice to see that consistency fixed... But really, that's it, there's NOTHING to be excited about with this game. There's already been 2 Mario sidescrollers before, and they're great. Even if the Koopalings were in this one, I doubt it would get me any more anxious with anticipation... Maybe a little, but the thing is, it's the Mega Man 10 problem; Nintendo seems to be taking the easier (I'm hesitant on saying "lazier" because making games is hard work) route with this. Basically same idea, same gameplay, little to no difference in story, just throw in some new power-ups and that's it...

I'm sure the game will be good, and I'll still buy it, but I'm a little disappointed, honestly. I was really hoping for a Super Mario Bros. 2-sytle game, THAT would have been a nice change!

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    but the thing is, it's the Mega Man 10 problem
    Aha! Thank you!

I've been trying to find a way to describe how I feel about this game and you've given me the words.

Evidence is everything in court, Mr. Wright. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Yes, it is not the most original name, but I see what Nintendo is doing and it is a sensible business choice.
    Because for every whining person internet, there's 10 people IRL that would buy this game ASAP for their little kids.

As far as I see it, this is being done to sell consoles. All of the NSMB games have sold millions more than Galaxy/Galaxy 2/3D Land.
    So of course, they're just making this game to sell, which is Nintendo's goal as a business.

Not applauding this decision, but I can see the reasoning behind making this game...
    And who knows? Maybe it will be great! We only have pictures so far. I'm going to wait a little more before judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Snifit View Post
    Aha! Thank you!

I've been trying to find a way to describe how I feel about this game and you've given me the words.
    I have that problem a lot, too, glad I could help you out.

Incidentally, this reminds me of a certain Shigeru Miyamoto quote made a year or so back: "Video games aren't art; they're products." This really shows what he means; there's nothing new to this new game, but people are obviously going to buy it, so Nintendo's just giving them what they want.

I love Mario games and I'm probably going to buy this one. It DOES have the Raccoon Tail, curse my nostalgia!

I have noticed a trend though. While Mario games continue to be good, pretty great even, they have started to fell kind of samey. I mean the platforming is good and all but it feels like the creative spark is kind of gone, at least in my opinion. Maybe it's because there's only SO much you can do with a 2D platformer that doesn't involve shaking things up mechanically. Maybe it's because they've been pumping out Mario games more frequently then in years past. Maybe it's because I'm just getting older and slightly more cynical.

I kind of think Nintendo should give Mario a break on the 3DS and let some of the other guys carry the weight for a while. A new Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, or older franchise fans want like a 3D F-Zero should come out. Give the plumber a break from the main games, release a few spinoffs, and let people WANT another Mario game before making one.

A new Mario game? I must speculate about it! I had a gut feeling they'd announce another one with the NSMB name, but I didn't expect them to call it New Super Mario Bros. 2. If only they called it NSMB3, then they'd put a shadow of the raccoon tail on the logo.

At first, I was a bit disappointed that there we're any elements from SMB2 present in the screenshots (like vegetable throwing and Shy Guys as actual enemies for once). Then I realized that Nintendo of Japan announced this, and their SMB2 was different from the Doki Doki Panic reskin everyone else got. So basically, this is "New Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels".

I am glad that Racoon Mario (which is more iconic than the Tanooki Suit, imo) and the P-Meter is back (with temporary flight to boot), so I'm looking forward to that, but they'd better not do the "TANOOKI MADNESS" thing. If we're getting more SMB3, I'd really like to see the Hammer Suit, Frog Suit, and Kuribo's Shoe reappear. I also noticed that Nintendo was more eager to announce Luigi's inclusion in the game, so that might mean he'll be playable from the very start for once.

Also, Iwata mentioned that this game will "set a new standard for Mario platformers". I do not know what to make of that.

But in the meantime, I'm going to wait until we get more screenshots and videos before I decide whether I'm going to get this.

...and I probably am, since I gotta get some more 2D Mario action!

Evidence is everything in court, Mr. Wright. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snifit View Post
    I love Mario games and I'm probably going to buy this one. It DOES have the Raccoon Tail, curse my nostalgia!

I have noticed a trend though. While Mario games continue to be good, pretty great even, they have started to fell kind of samey. I mean the platforming is good and all but it feels like the creative spark is kind of gone, at least in my opinion. Maybe it's because there's only SO much you can do with a 2D platformer that doesn't involve shaking things up mechanically. Maybe it's because they've been pumping out Mario games more frequently then in years past. Maybe it's because I'm just getting older and slightly more cynical.

I kind of think Nintendo should give Mario a break on the 3DS and let some of the other guys carry the weight for a while. A new Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, or older franchise fans want like a 3D F-Zero should come out. Give the plumber a break from the main games, release a few spinoffs, and let people WANT another Mario game before making one.
    But people DO want a new 2D Mario game. The sales show that.
    In fact, making "original" Mario games is a risk for Nintendo. Super Mario Sunshine? Remember the backlash it got for shaking things up a little?
    Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 sold well, but the numbers were dwarfed by New Super Mario Bros Wii. Heck, New Super Mario Bros on the DS sold more than the DS port of Mario 64, one of the most acclaimed Mario titles.

I don't doubt this game will outsell 3D Land, too. (and with good reason, 3D Land is one of the worst Mario game in comparison with the other ones.)
    As for giving Mario a break... didn't we get Mario Kart 7 and won't we soon be getting Mario Tennis Open?
    Really, the only reason we feel like there's too many Mario games is because of Galaxy 2. Otherwise the rate at which Mario games come out is the same as before.

In the name of the Voice, I will punish you! Ruane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Y View Post
    I also noticed that Nintendo was more eager to announce Luigi's inclusion in the game, so that might mean he'll be playable from the very start for once.
    Luigi is immediately available in all the 2-D platformers, (unless he isn't in the game at all.) He is either reserved for Player 2, like in Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii, or can be switched out with Mario, like in Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Only the more recent 3-D games like galaxy require Mario to collect a certain amount of Power Stars before unlocking Luigi.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruane View Post
    Luigi is immediately available in all the 2-D platformers, (unless he isn't in the game at all.) He is either reserved for Player 2, like in Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii, or can be switched out with Mario, like in Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Only the more recent 3-D games like galaxy require Mario to collect a certain amount of Power Stars before unlocking Luigi.
    ...I sure worded that wrong.

I meant "playable in single player without having to enter a button combination, and via character select, like in SMB2".

Doofenshmirtz, I respectfully disagree. When I say "give people a chance to WANT a Mario game" what I meant was give people a break to not be playing a Mario platformer. Of course people WANT to play a Mario game, especially the 2D games. It's kind of like Zelda. Sure, Nintendo could crank out a Zelda game every year but then people wouldn't desire one as much. It's a hard concept to explain. People are always going to want Nintendo games, but if there's a period of waiting it builds the anticipation up more. I think THAT'S what Mario needs.
    And it's not just because of Galaxy 2. It used to be that Mario games had about 2-3 years in between them. 85-88-90. Heck there were six years between 64 and Sunshine. But in the last four years there's been a Mario game every year, not including the spinoffs.

Mario is Nintendo's mascot and he needs a lot of exposure. I get that. I just feel there should be a bit more time for the "true" Mario games* to come out and let the gaps be filled in by the spinoff titles.

Again, this is all just personal opinion and maybe NSMB2 will be the greatest Mario game released to date. Who can say right now?

*I'm not saying spinoffs aren't Mario games or aren't good, but they're not platformers in the "official" Mario series.

I understand that. People would probably enjoy and appreciate the game more if they had to anticipate how good it will be. Though, I would love a new Galaxy game!

New, further analysis on the original four screenshots to New Super Mario Bros. 2:

The gold part is pretty interesting because Mario and the enemies appear in gold form.
    Last edited by Seal; May 7th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

So apparently Japan gets all three games in the Wario Land GB series AND Game & Watch Gallery 2, but North America doesn't yet? What the heck?

You know what was fun? TENNIS. I had a blast as a kid. And maybe a Mario and Sonic that ISN'T the Olympics would be nice.
    "I won't give up now!"~ Phoenix Wright (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sonics View Post
    You know what was fun? TENNIS. I had a blast as a kid. And maybe a Mario and Sonic that ISN'T the Olympics would be nice.
    You mean the Nintendo 64 one? Yeah, I loved that game. Gonna get Mario Tennis Open when it comes out.

Mario Tennis is one of my personal favorite N64 games. I played that game as a kid for hours on end, though I never did complete the whole thing. Being able to link with its GBC counterpart and play as the characters from its RPG mode was a neat feature, too!

...That game actually made me a fan of the actual sport of Tennis, too. :l

I didn't enjoy Power Tennis as much as the first game (contrary to what most of my friends think). I don't know precisely why, but it just didn't keep me engaged like the original did. I'm hoping Mario Tennis Open keeps me hooked, though!
    dA Page --><-- Starmen.net
    (Nidoking will take you to my Art Topic here on BitF! Click on him; he won't bite!)
    Yoshistar Galaxy - Streaming good ol' Nintendo shenanigans for all to watch and enjoy! --- YouTube / Livestream

Completed on 9/20/2012! Click the bar to watch my Million-Dollar Mission!
    Spoiler: Nintendo Friend Codes! 

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshistar View Post
    ...That game actually made me a fan of the actual sport of Tennis, too. :l
    HA, me too! I actually took tennis lessons for a time.

I'm really looking forward to Mario Tennis Open. I've always loved Mario Tennis games and the new one looks like a blast. I kind of miss the over the top individual super moves from Power Tennis, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually play the game.

I, personally, would love a new Mario baseball game.
    I've been playing Super Sluggers to death and STILL can't get enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seal357 View Post
    I, personally, would love a new Mario baseball game.
    I've been playing Super Sluggers to death and STILL can't get enough.
    I love the Mario baseball games, too, I just wish Nintendo would use more characters... Baseball games are only really good when you have a huge selection of characters to choose from, and here, in both games, it seemed like they only had just barely enough for each team.

Also, if there were ever a spin-off where all 7 Koopalings could be playable, THIS is one of them.

Thread Information