Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies Thread

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Movies Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ARC Trooper CX-7529 View Post
    Star Wars is the Greatest series of movies ever. I mean it made Sci-Fi a respected and popular genre of film and revolutionized the sequal and, heck, INVENTED the prequil! Now, Avatar and Halo and all this other may be great but it all stems from Star Wars and I think it should DEFINATELY stop being bashed by idiots that only think movies made from 2005 on are worth even watching
    Even if the prequels sucked monumentally, I second this.

A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Even if the prequels sucked monumentally, I second this.
    Hey, watch it with the Ep. 2 insults! :P The clones were cool and inspired halo, i think (Look at Spartan armor...) Plus, I thought Ep. 3 was the best. why do you not like it?
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

Spoiler: Meet the ARC 

Hey, watch it with the Ep. 2 insults! :P The clones were cool and inspired halo, i think (Look at Spartan armor...) Plus, I thought Ep. 3 was the best. why do you not like it?
    Well...

Why the Phantom Menace Sucked!

Why Attack of the Clones was the worse thing since bagpipes!

Why Revenge of the Sith was just as bad as the other two, even if it was the "best" of the three.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar

Yeah no. Episode 2 came out after Halo. Beyond Boba's backstory, the Battle of Geonosis and Yoda v Dooku, the entire thing was a crapstorm of epic proportions. The romance was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen, even worse then the stuff I've written! It was horrible! Not to mention that Hayden Christian is a freaking horrific actor! Agh!

And Episode One? One word: Midichlorians. Thanks, GL, you just retconned the mysterious, awesome Force into psychic tapeworms. Weeeee. Thanks.

Ep3 was okay, I suppose. Their biggest failure was, y'know, Anakin. I don't know if you were supposed to sympathize with him, but I just found myself absolutely cheering when he got turned into Darth Vader and wasn't an idiot jerk any more. Having Anakin as a major character in any SW novel is a major turn-off for me because, to be completely honest, he just annoys me.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Villerar View Post
    Would you recommend watching it, though, SNF, if only for the educational value?
    Do you mean Citizen Kane or 12 Angry Men?

I assume you mean Citizen Kane. I'm not sure what you mean by "educational value", though.

It's one of the big classic movies, so it's probably worth a watch, at least.

Honestly it's not that the movie was bad, it just didn't grab me like I was expecting.

Star Wars is the Greatest series of movies ever. I mean it made Sci-Fi a respected and popular genre of film and revolutionized the sequal and, heck, INVENTED the prequil! Now, Avatar and Halo and all this other may be great but it all stems from Star Wars and I think it should DEFINATELY stop being bashed by idiots that only think movies made from 2005 on are worth even watching
    Star Wars neither invented the prequel nor revolutionized the sequel (Empire and Jedi are some of the rare examples of sequels being done right, but they were not the first to be like that).

I haven't seen Avatar, but I wouldn't really consider it similar to Star Wars. From what I understand it's very different.

And Halo isn't a film.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Are you sure you can handle the Elite? Raptor's Avatar

Actually my favorite movies would have to be sci-fi. I'm not a fan of the star wars movies (sorry) but I like The Jurassic Parks(shocker). Out of the 4 Jaws I like the first 3 the final one is just plain stupid. I also enjoy Predator 1&2 annd the Alien movies. With the newest movie I've watched it would proably be Toy Story 3 it was pretty cool since I saw the first 2. I'm however not a fan of the graphic Horror's to much blood and gore. Also I'm I the only one that noticed the New Pirahna(?) movie was a Jaws Knock off like Orca? Or atleast it's trying to be like Jaws.

EDIT:I've seen parts of Avatar and it looks pretty sweet. Also I think he's talking about the Movie of Halo that was made last year I think.

A hero is simply one that makes the right choice when it seems to be the hardest ARC Trooper CX-7529's Avatar

What I meant (I knew this was going to happen...sigh) is that the NEW Halos like more and more like clone or other SW based armor. and the romance did frankly suck. My buds and i have more fun mocking it than trying to understand it. But the Battle of Geonosis was epic to watch, Order 66 going down was epic an dthe rising (literally) of Darth Vader was sweet. That's what i liked. I never like the Jedi much, the whole end-all-be-all thing was not relatable to be and the only two i like were Obi-Wan and Luke. Clones are more down to earth and real if you ask me which is why i liked the Karen traviss books so much...
    <- Halo: Out of Reach Join the epic adventure! Updated: 02/09/12- 10 Frontlines I'm taking a break from this for a while. Not finished, though.
    Hey! You! Yes, you! Visit my art thread! And leave a request! Please? And my fanfic.

And finally, my Ask Michael the Gallade Blog! Weekly updates in full tasty color :D

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    And Halo isn't a film.
    Actually...
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Star Wars neither invented the prequel nor revolutionized the sequel (Empire and Jedi are some of the rare examples of sequels being done right, but they were not the first to be like that).

I haven't seen Avatar, but I wouldn't really consider it similar to Star Wars. From what I understand it's very different.

And Halo isn't a film.[/QUOTE]

Halo WILL probably be a film one day, the director of District 9 is working on it.
    Avatar is not based (plot wise) but bear a lot of simular props and creatures (Like the planet Avatar is on has plants and a forest floor that looks like Ep. 3's Felucia and those blue raptor-birds look like something you can see briefly in Ep. 2 on Kamino)
    The Prequel/Sequel thing... well i think it fair to say few have done it like that and probably few ever will

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyBox View Post
    A film that is not out yet (that may or may not actually end up being made), in a series based around video games, is not comparable to Star Wars.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Dangit, beat me to the punch.

What I meant (I knew this was going to happen...sigh) is that the NEW Halos like more and more like clone or other SW based armor. and the romance did frankly suck. My buds and i have more fun mocking it than trying to understand it. But the Battle of Geonosis was epic to watch, Order 66 going down was epic an dthe rising (literally) of Darth Vader was sweet. That's what i liked. I never like the Jedi much, the whole end-all-be-all thing was not relatable to be and the only two i like were Obi-Wan and Luke. Clones are more down to earth and real if you ask me which is why i liked the Karen traviss books so much...
    I'm not sure if the Clone armor influenced the Halo armor. Do you have proof?

Anyways, back on subject, what do you mean by the 'whole end-all-be-all thing'?

say what you will but Halo still bears a lot of movie-like traits (probably why it is popular) and I think a comparison can be done

To Eruedraith:

That one Jedi could take and beat 1000 stormtroopers and if the rebels had like only like maybe 5 they could have fought the Empire head on and kicked their butt. The Jedi are idolized in the first 3 (IV,V, VI) i think a bit too much

To Eruedraith:

That one Jedi could take and beat 1000 stormtroopers and if the rebels had like only like maybe 5 they could have fought the Empire head on and kicked their butt. The Jedi are idolized in the first 3 (IV,V, VI) i think a bit too much
    Um, no, they couldn't. That's why Order 66 was so efficient - 1000 stormtroopers all shooting at you? Can't dodge/block them all. Plus, the Empire had the best Jedi-Killer in all of history on their side, Darth Vader! And they wouldn't have won with 5 Jedi, either. Vader took on eight Jedi on Kessel and killed them all with ease.

Alright, any further discussion about Star Wars should be in its own thread.

This is a thread for movies in general, not any specific series of films.

Dang, I was going to say it wasn't a film YET!

Anyway, since we're on the subject of science fiction films, are there any other WALL-E fans here?

Generic User Title. Cheezperson's Avatar

Hmm, sort of. I liked the concept, but the major lack of dialogue kind of turned me off. If you're talking Pixar I personally prefer all of their other movies except Cars.
    Shameless Self-promotion.
    Spoiler: FC's 

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezperson View Post
    Hmm, sort of. I liked the concept, but the major lack of dialogue kind of turned me off. If you're talking Pixar I personally prefer all of their other movies except Cars.
    Boo!

...But whatever. I thought the lack of dialogue was what gave WALL-E it's charm. There can be so much expressed in just the movements and actions of the characters, and sounds they make as well, than just talking. I think being able to convey emotion and depth without dialogue is a great feat in it of itself. Also, WALL-E and EVE are adorable. X3

Two things:

1.) Anyone seen the Oscars? What did everyone think? I was a little disappointed that the King's Speech won most of the bigger awards, but I was glad to see Inception sweep some awards as well. Mixed feelings overall.

2.) I just saw Salt, and I didn't like it, mostly because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be rooting for Angelina Jolie's character or not. By the end, I wasn't really satisfied, and even though everything was made clear by the end of it all, I hated being so confused and unsure during most of the action sequences, which are okay, I guess, but I didn't really care because I wasn't sure about anything during it.

Aspiring Prinny Guitarist icbmdood's Avatar

Has anyone seen Oldboy I just watched that, and it has the best plot twist I've ever seen. I won't be able to watch that movie again without cringing now!

And since this is a movie thread, here are some movies I recommend: Seven Samurai, Old Boy, Shawshank Redemption, Spirited Away, The Host, Session 9, Pulp Fiction, Memento, 127 Hours, and Trick R' Treat)
    Adonai Yeshua
    Proud Supporter of Invisible Children
    Go Nihon Falcom!

Wheelie Rider

Alright, i'll tell you about the movies i've seen recently:

Salt: Over-all it was okay, the action was good, the plot was good, but it was somewhat confusing trying to figure out if Salt was the bad guy or not throughout the movie.

Any Which Way but Loose: A good old Clint Eastwood movie ( although not a movie about the wild west), takes place in the 70's, and Clint's partners are a tow truck driver, and a orangatang. The plot is thin but there were many scenes that made me chuckle and there were some funny action scenes too, not the best movie with Clint Eastwood but it was good. ( There was also a more over the top sequel, with a lot of dumb scenes)

Now all of you are listing your favourite movies, sadly i really can't make a list since i see movies all the time, not only that but it's kinda hard to. Here are some that are my favourites:

Toy Story: I watched this over and over when i was 3 or 4, i never got tired of seeing it. I watched it again this year on VHS and noticed all of the jokes i never got when i was little, even though i've seen it so many times i still loved it. It's mostly my favourite because i was so attached to it was i was younger, the 2 other sequels don't even add up to the first for me.

Back to the future Part 1&2: It's funny, well written and the actors are great, the first time i saw it i loved it, and all the other times were the same.

And now for my least favourite film of all time that i actually sat through ( drum roll), Doogle. Absolute trash, story was garbage and very simple, jokes weren't funny, was so childish my 4 year old sister at the time got bored and couldn't even finish the first half hour of it, unlike other movies that she would watch over and over. Everything about it was awful.
    Last edited by FlamerX; March 8th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

The Social Network - Inspired me to get a facebook. The movie itself was well done, and always had my mind thinking. Apart from it being PG-13 and having terrible content, It was good.

The Truman Show - Starring Jim Carrey, and one of my favorite older films. I enjoyed the music, and the story, and most of all, the ending.

Ponyo - I just watched this movie, but I wasn't as satisfied as I thought I would. It has the Hiyosaki style, but I thought they could have done better.
    A Moment of Change

And Their Refinement of The Decline

I just watched a film called The Legend of 1900. The premise was interesting; it was about a boy who was raised on a ship. This boy was found and named "Danny Boodman T. D. Lemon 1900", by a worker in the bowels of the ship. He was quickly discovered to be a piano prodigy. He spent his whole life on the craft, never once stepping on land, always playing music. He never played the same thing twice; he simply improvised everything based on his surroundings. Eventually, the "inventor of Jazz", Jelly Roll Morton, challenged him to a test of skill. Various other events happened, including him falling in love with a passenger on ship. When she left, he contemplated following, but decided not to. He never left the ship. In the very end, the ship was going to be demolished, and nobody was sure of his location. A trumpet playing friend lured him out of the dark corners of the ship and spoke with him, and he provided the reasons as to why he wouldn't leave.

"It wasn't what I saw that stopped me Max... it was what I didn't see.
    Take piano: keys begin, keys end. You know there are 88 of them. Nobody can tell you any different. They are not infinite. You're infinite... And on those keys, the music that you can make... is infinite. I like that. That I can live by...
    You rolled out in front of me a keyboard of millions of keys, millions and billions of keys that never end. And that's the truth Max, that they never end. That keyboard is infinite... and if that keyboard is infinite, then on that keyboard there is no music you can play. You're sitting on the wrong bench... That is God's piano.
    Christ, did you... did you see the streets, just the streets? There were thousands of them! Then how you do it down there, how do you choose just one... one woman, one house, one piece of land to call your own, one landscape to look at, one way to die...?
    Land? Land is a ship too big for me, it's a woman too beautiful, it's a voyage too long, perfume too strong...It's music I don't know how to make. I can never get off this ship."

It was actually quite moving and now I'm in a wierd mood.
    Last edited by slashty; April 9th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
    ~ Last.fm - slashty.net - Tumblr ~

~Openly Jesuist~

A couple days ago I saw Minority Report.

It was a fantastic movie.

The premise is that in the future Washington DC is trying a new criminal justice program called "Pre-Crime", using people who have the ability to (accurately) see murders before they happen. Using those psychics the Pre-Crime department can stop a murder before it occurs (so yes, their predictions aren't 100% set in stone) and arrest the person who would have committed it. There has not been a single murder in DC since the system started.

The problem comes when the psychics see the Chief of the department killing someone he's never met before.

The central question of the film is how set in stone these predictions are (if you know you're supposed to kill someone in the future, is it possible to decide not to do it?), and it handles it pretty well.

The film isn't perfect though. I didn't like a couple of scenes (especially one early on where he's running from the Pre-Crime cops and some comedy that really doesn't fit the tone of the film is thrown in) and it would have been nice if they had delved a bit more into the question of if it's right to arrest someone for a future crime.
    Last edited by Superninfreak; April 12th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

And Their Refinement of The Decline

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    A couple days ago I saw Minority Report.

It was a fantastic movie.

The premise is that in the future Washington DC is trying a new criminal justice program called "Pre-Crime", using people who have the ability to (accurately) see murders before they happen. Using those psychics the Pre-Crime department can stop a murder before it occurs (so yes, their predictions aren't 100% set in stone) and arrest the person who would have committed it. There has not been a single murder in DC since the system started.

The problem comes when the psychics see the Chief of the department killing someone he's never met before.

The central question of the film is how set in stone these predictions are (if you know you're supposed to kill someone in the future, is it possible to decide not to do it?), and it handles it pretty well.

The film isn't perfect though. I didn't like a couple of scenes (especially on early on where he's running from the Pre-Crime cops and some comedy that really doesn't fit the tone of the film is thrown in) and it would have been nice if they had delved more into the question of if it's right to arrest someone for a future crime.
    This is one of my favourite films of all time. I loved almost everything about it, it did a great job.

and I told sniff to watch it omg
    ~ Last.fm - slashty.net - Tumblr ~

~Openly Jesuist~

Thread Information