Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime/Manga Thread

World's Most Useless Password Pat55word's Avatar

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    can Mustang just make a move on Riza already? It's getting increasingly frustrating to watch.
    Enjoy it all show long :D They're so evil. And Mustang becomes so badass it hurts.

Only on the episode of FMA where Ed is chasing his teacher (not good with names) who's trying to rescue that kid who supposedly has Ed's arm and leg. Then the millitary and the Homonwhatever show up. Sorry, I'm SERIOUSLY NOT GOOD WITH NAMES.
    "I won't give up now!"~ Phoenix Wright (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sonics View Post
    Only on the episode of FMA where Ed is chasing his teacher (not good with names)
    Izumi Curtiss

who's trying to rescue that kid who supposedly has Ed's arm and leg.
    Truth?

Then the millitary and the Homonwhatever
    Homonculi

Sorry, I'm SERIOUSLY NOT GOOD WITH NAMES.
    Better get good with them soon considering how many things you'll have to remember.

Which anime are you watching? The 2003 one or Brotherhood?
    by JSG

Quote Originally Posted by Mkan View Post
    Better get good with them soon considering how many things you'll have to remember.
    I watch most anime only knowing the names of a few of the main characters and everyone else by sight. It doesn't matter too much. It helps if you want to talk about character but knowing the names is not essential.

And it had better be brotherhood :P

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

He's watching the original anime, because Wrath in the anime was completely different from manga!Wrath. Anime!Wrath was a whiny little child with mother issues and Ed's limbs. Manga!Wrath made Chuck Norris look like a boy band member.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar

An anime adaptation of Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya has been greenlit.

If you're not familiar with the series, it's basically a magical girl anime starring Illya from F/SN in an alternate universe, and is a dual parody of magical girls and Fate/Stay Night in general.

So.... yeah. This might be something to look out for if you're into the magical girl genre, or if you want to see more Fate in a totally different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    An anime adaptation of Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya has been greenlit.

If you're not familiar with the series, it's basically a magical girl anime starring Illya from F/SN in an alternate universe, and is a dual parody of magical girls and Fate/Stay Night in general.

So.... yeah. This might be something to look out for if you're into the magical girl genre, or if you want to see more Fate in a totally different way.
    Ah yes, I remember hearing about this some time ago. Both magical girls and Fate are relevant to my interests, so I'll be keeping an eye on it. I don't know much about the series, though, so I'm partially wondering if it'll be like the Phantasmoon segments in Carnival Phantasm, or if it's actually serious or something (probably not).

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Oh, are we talking about Fullmetal Alchemist, aka my favorite Manga/Anime? (At least the 2009 version?)

Man, I have so many feelings and praise for that series, and writing them down would be the same things already said in this thread, but
    Yes, this series has the best mixture of action, comedy, drama and characterization I've ever seen. Arakawa is a master at her work, and it really shows.

I often consider the 2009 one a great adaption although it suffers from slight hiccups in pacing. But yes, as of now, FMA Brotherhood remains as my favorite anime series of all time.
    I want to forget the 2003 version, though. I'm probably just biased, but I can't stand that take on the manga.

Speaking of FMA - I got some figurines today :D http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6791930/Photos/IMAG0134.jpg
    Incubator.

I think it's worth noting that FUNimation is having a sale on all of their DVDs/Blu-rays on Amazon

So yeah, a nice way to get some anime on disc without breaking your wallet too much.

The sale ends on May 7th.

edit: a good way to find out what's localized by FUNimation is to just type "funimation" into the search bar
    Last edited by Mkan; April 26th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
    by JSG

Just found a nice new series, and it's being made by KyoAni! It's called Hyouka, and is sort of a high school slice-of-life-ey anime with some mystery solving. The animation is beautiful and there were some points where I actually thought "wow, this might beat out Angel Beats for best animation I've ever seen".
    First episode came out last Sunday, people should take a look at this.

Anyone here ever seen or read Busou Renkin? It's really good and funny. It's from the creator of Rurouni Kenshin.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate | Name: Yami G | HR: 44+

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    HEY GUYS, I'M ON VGBOXART!!!

Almost done with Key's Kanon, it's a brilliant piece of work so far, the moments seem too sudden in terms of transition, but it's a pretty well-developed story overall.

I'm just a sucker for Key's works, aren't I? They're finally making an anime for Little Busters!, too!
    3DS: 5069-4096-2101

"Guidance to the one who holds determination."

Welcome to my lair. (also known as tumblr to the not cool kids)

So, Negima! anybody? Even if it only has 26 episodes...

Negima! One of my most favorite anime series. I grew up with the manga, so I'm quite attatched to the series. Nodoka Miyazaki is my favorite student in his class~. What about you?
    [CENTER]My Chandelure is following you... (O++O)

Quote Originally Posted by Sioli View Post
    Negima! One of my most favorite anime series. I grew up with the manga, so I'm quite attatched to the series. Nodoka Miyazaki is my favorite student in his class~. What about you?
    HOLY SMOKES WE THINK ALIKE. Her extreme shyness is exactly why she is easy to
    like. That and her crush on Negi.
    Last edited by 2Sonics; May 2nd, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioli View Post
    Oh, which season (for lack of a better word?) was that? I don't remember particularly liking the anime as much as the manga, but the manga was alright. It had its funny moments and CMOA moments, but too much fanservice and fairly disappointing ending.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sonics View Post
    HOLY SMOKES WE THINK ALIKE. Her extreme shyness is exactly why she is easy to
    like. That and her crush on Negi.
    Correct. Her shyness made her a very likable character for me. I also think that Makie is a good character (besides being an idiot, no offence to her.)

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    Oh, which season (for lack of a better word?) was that? I don't remember particularly liking the anime as much as the manga, but the manga was alright. It had its funny moments and CMOA moments, but too much fanservice and fairly disappointing ending.
    I was in Year 4 when my friend first let me read his manga. So it would be Season 1, back when Asuna's eyes looked as they were meant to. But the fact that I grew up with it might be why I enjoy it so much. Out of Season 2, I pretty much only have the Spring & Summer Special. Being exposed to fanservice at a young age is probably a good thing.
    [CENTER]My Chandelure is following you... (O++O)

So I joined the Puella Magi Madoka Magica brigade.

This anime is just a must-watch. Other than that, I won't say a thing here.

Anyways, quick update to the top ten anime list!

10: Code Geass
    9: Durarara!!!
    8: Trigun
    7: Haruhi Suzumiya
    6: Darker Than Black (first season only)
    5: Baccano!
    4: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    3: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    2: Cowboy Bebop
    1: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Why the hate for the first Fullmetal Alchemist?
    I understand it doesn't follow the manga very closely near the end (because the manga wasn't finished when it was made), but from my experience, most of the people that hate it for that reason haven't even read the manga.
    Besides that, the completely made up ending does a good job of concluding the anime, all things considered. If there were no manga, you wouldn't notice any problems with the original anime's ending. It ties plot points together and wraps things up much better than most anime I have seen.

I just don't understand this "I CAN ONLY LIKE EITHER THE ORIGINAL OR BROTHERHOOD" mentality.
    You can, and really should, like both, because they are both some of the best anime ever made.

Wooo high five!

So I continued P4A last night, and considering that one of the episodes I watched was the Hierophant/Justice one, it made me remember something... Dojima really is an asshole here compared to the game, huh? I don't know if it's just his voice actor making him sound monotone or something else, but... it's terrible. So P4 might be one of the rare instances where I prefer the dub to the original.

Then, among other things, I'm rewatching Nichijou with my sister.

Welcome to the club! :D

Anyways, quick update to the top ten anime list!

10: Code Geass
    9: Durarara!!!
    8: Trigun
    7: Haruhi Suzumiya
    6: Darker Than Black (first season only)
    5: Baccano!
    4: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    3: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    2: Cowboy Bebop
    1: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    While my list would be in a different order, with a couple of different anime, we largely have a similar-looking list. But I do agree that only the first season of DTB is worth watching. It's a bit of a shame, it was a good series, and the sequels didn't live up to it.

I've just started watching The Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Very fun and Yuuko is very pretty. Ostensibly a horror story but I haven't been scared yet. Has else anyone been watching this?
    Incubator.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    Why the hate for the first Fullmetal Alchemist?
    I understand it doesn't follow the manga very closely near the end (because the manga wasn't finished when it was made), but from my experience, most of the people that hate it for that reason haven't even read the manga.
    Besides that, the completely made up ending does a good job of concluding the anime, all things considered. If there were no manga, you wouldn't notice any problems with the original anime's ending. It ties plot points together and wraps things up much better than most anime I have seen.

I just don't understand this "I CAN ONLY LIKE EITHER THE ORIGINAL OR BROTHERHOOD" mentality.
    You can, and really should, like both, because they are both some of the best anime ever made.
    It's just that after watching Brotherhood, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was watching an animated fanfiction.
    I also felt that the plot for the first Fullmetal Alchemist was too convoluted.
    Granted, I did read the manga first and thus I'm a little biased, but in all honestly even if I hadn't known/read the manga of FMA, I wouldn't have considered the original FMA as one of the best anime series ever made. The fact that it needed a movie to conclude the plot also really hindered my opinion of the first series.

I guess I just didn't like the clashing of the two universes. Eh...

My opinion on the two FMA anime is that the original may be good as a standalone, but not so much as an anime adaptation of a manga. Brotherhood was basically the exact anime adaptation of the manga, and so people who wanted to see the manga in anime form would prefer Brotherhood.
    The producers of the original FMA anime also took a lot of liberties and most of the character development and relations ended up being completely different from the manga, but you can't really blame them since they didn't have a finished manga to work off of at the time.

Also there needs to be more Hyouka discussion.

Thread Information