Thread: BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: LIVE AND LET FRY Edition

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: LIVE AND LET FRY Edition

Another summer had rolled around, and once again Ray Chevalier found himself thoroughly miserable. Business was always surprisingly scant during this time of year, despite the throngs of vacationers who filled the city, and yet he still couldn't leave his too-small office for the hope of it. Faint strains of a jazzy melody rolled in from the open window, free as the wind which carried them, and he fought to drag himself back to the issue at hand.

"When I told you I was in the market for a summer job," he said, raking sweaty fingers through his hair, "corporate espionage wasn't exactly what I had in mind."

"Come now, Mr Chevalier." His prospective client seemed unruffled by his reluctance. Despite the heat, the other man wore a business suit, and somehow managed to look completely comfortable in it even though he had to be sweltering. "Aren't you being a little quick to dismiss my offer?"

"I'm a private detective," he said, "not a corporate lapdog. I don't work for the likes of you, not for love or money." This was, of course, conveniently ignoring the fact that he hadn't seen any other offers in weeks, and his bills were piling up like crazy in their absence. He may not have been a man of honour, but at least he could be a man of principle.

"Oh, working for us won't be so bad as all that. Maybe it'll even be fun."

Yeah, right. "Who did you say you were again?" he asked, trying to steer the conversation to more helpful waters.

"I didn't." He unlatched his briefcase with a perfectly manicured hand, removing some papers and sliding them across the desk. The insignia stamped at the top was immediately familiar, and Chevalier felt his stomach sink. He'd come across it before, and it had been an encounter he wouldn't soon forget. "But we're fairly well-known in some circles, so perhaps you've heard of us. I'm actually here on behalf of the BitF Open Literary Extravaganza."
    Welcome to the second BitF Open Literary Extravaganza, title now officially locked in! This didn't really get off the ground last year but, dear forumite, hope springs eternal. Here's how it goes: sign up, write a short piece on the theme "thrillers/spy stories", submit it in a month's time, read everyone else's submissions. If you're interested, please make sure to go over the rules; it's pretty simple, at least. And if not... well, thanks for reading anyway.

Rules:
    - This is not a contest; rather, it's an arena in which to get writing and read things produced by fellow forumites.
    - The theme for this particular challenge is "thrillers/spy stories", which all pieces must adhere to. Last year we had a maximum wordcount of 1500 and that didn't really work out, so just aim for around that much and keep going if you feel you need to.
    - Submissions are due in the final week of August (so, any time between the 24th and 31st).
    - You can sign up any time before the final week. There are no penalties for either withdrawing or not turning something in.

Feel free to post here, or VM/PM me if you have any questions; for now, get signing up!

Participants:
    1. Eruedraith
    2. BrandonSP
    3. Dynawing
    4. Lightningboalt
    5. SSBBrawler
    6. AuraKnight
    7. Coxy
    8. Snickerway
    Last edited by Lenore; August 18th, 2015 at 02:44 AM.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

Re: BitF Open Literary Extravaganza: LIVE AND LET FRY Edition

Definitely signing up for an attempt at redeeming myself for last year's submission.
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

-Find the Clock Tower- Puzzle044's Avatar

It's tempting since I like to write, but I am going to have to past on this one.
    I look forward to reading though.
    Be part of the answer, not part of the problem.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Being oen fo the few people who got a submission in last time, I'm totally in on this one! I'll probably take a whole week to figure out what I want to write, though.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Well of course I'm taking part (I mean, I'd hope so considering I suggested we do this again a while back).

My goal this year is not only to complete this competition, I'm also gonna try to get a version of my story from last year completed too.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

I'll try to get something in, but I don't know if I'll have the time to write regularly. I'll be sure to submit what I get done, but I can't promise it'll be finished.

Tentomon's Toaster Trolley Coxy's Avatar

Oh yes! I'll definitely do this again, because I had fun with my submission last year!
    Art 'n Music Thread -- Steam Profile -- SoundCloud -- Tumblr -- YouTube -- Coxy#1419 (Battletag)

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

I happened to notice this during my annual reappearance. I have no idea if I'll have the inspiration or time to do this, but I figure I may as well stick my foot in the general direction of the door. Signing up.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

August is almost over! Hope you've been going well enough so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

I've actually ahd this done for a bit over a week but forgot the submission time could've been earlier. In any case, I'll post it now instead of fussing over it some more, though there's bound to be some mistakes I didn't catch. Do tell of any.

Accept No Substitutes

Note that the story contains foul language, if that bothers you. No birds n' bees though.

I had some severe writer's block at first but eventually I came up with something and it ended up being somewhere over 7000 words, about half as long as the piece I wrote last year (which is here!). Not quite the story and genre I'm used to but I like what came of it.

Usually I like to write stories within a particular setting I already have so I can develop it, as I did in Venvestigraine, but a more basic, different story is fun to write as well. I hope you find it enjoyable.

Hope everyone else was able to get some good writing done or at least get some ideas going, definitely gonna read any other submissions.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

Alright, here's mine!

Crisis

Still kinda working on it atm but I should have a version I'm at least decently content with by the end of the night.
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

Tentomon's Toaster Trolley Coxy's Avatar

Did I wait to post the finished product until the last day of the month for SUSPENSE? *thunderclap* I've been having a thrilling battle this month against an infinite swarm of drain flies.

I'm trying to stay with the same fantasy setting and characters as last year's due to my own world-building, so it's like... high-fantasy spy stuff, but hopefully still so.

Rat Noir ~ Propeller Penne and the Ancient Library

In this latest installment of Propeller Penne, the titular rat breaks into a mansion and fights evil dragons.

There! Now I have all this time to read everyone else's works!
    Art 'n Music Thread -- Steam Profile -- SoundCloud -- Tumblr -- YouTube -- Coxy#1419 (Battletag)

Thread Information