Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Untitled

Re: Super Untitled

"Ah, of course! Once again, thank you very much. We shall make our preparations as well," Fenna said to the astronomer, thanking him with a short bow, before following after Rostislav. The huge man's comment about shooting their enemy down amused her, but for some reason, she was under the impression that he'd find a way to do it, despite not having any ranged weapons.

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

((I'm gonna have to take responsibility for this delay. I don't think I properly communicated what I'd been expecting, but at this point hopefuly we can move on? I imagine we'll just be at the twoer talking to the sheriff now. If not I guess we could skip to the next night? My apologies.))

One needed to be prepared for anything on a hunting expedition. There were people who weighed themselves down with tents, bedrolls, and luxuries, among other things, but Rostislav was only after the bare minimum. Making his way to the marketplace, he needed emergency food and water, enough for five, though he didn't know how many people were going with him. Either way, it was always good to have surplus, should there not be anything to catch in the forest.

He was able to gather up the necessary supplies from some stalls that were just about the close. While he didn't have any coin on him, it wasn't too difficult to get the merchants to cooperate from a combination of his mission and Rostislav's own particular brand of charisma. He might have made a few promises he'd forget to keep, but it didn't seem likely that anyone would go after him for that.

With a large pack of rudimentary supplies, he headed towards the watch tower, still easily visible in the twilight. While he didn't have a compass, extra equipment, or any easy means to start a fire, but he had more than a few tricks up his sleeve to account for such things.

The night had come, and Fenna had already arrived at the watchtower. After parting ways with Rostislav, she returned to the room in the inn she was staying at, in order to finally put her luggage away - and then spent the next hour or so trying to put her plate armor on by herself. 'I don't know why I always think this is a good idea,' she thought, at about the time one of the inn's employees noticed the dismayed moaning coming from her room and ended up helping her.

Anyway! Now that that was over, all she had to do was wait for the others. Thankfully, she didn't have to wait for long, as Rostislav soon appeared - and carrying copious amounts of supplies, even.

"Ah! Hello, dear friend," Fenna said, hailing him. "I see you've come prepared! Yes, that's very good."
    Last edited by Chiffon; February 3rd, 2015 at 06:23 AM.

"Hah, yes, it seems I am on time!" Rostislav had loaded all the supplies into a large burlap bag, which he heaved from over his shoulder to the ground beside him as he arrived at the foot of the watchtower. "Carl should be here soon, I hope, but it is no matter. We should talk to the little man now, assuming he is here as well."

He motioned towards the supplies by giving it a light kick. "I have some food and water that would last most a week, me a few days. Just in case there is nothing edible in the forest. They say they only farm here, sounds crazy to me, but who knows what is in there." He rolled his neck and clenched his fists with an audible crack. "I know Carl does not want to go until we have a proper chart, which I understand. But I was thinking it may be dangerous for the mayor if we take too long. I think we should go tonight because of that, but is difficult choice, see. What do you think?"

"Hmm... yes, it's a conundrum. It would be best if we were able to head out tonight still, but I wouldn't want to put ourselves at risk, either. It might be best to wait for Carl; depending on the state of his preliminary chart, we might be able to go now without many troubles."

Looking up towards the tower, she continued, "As for the sheriff, I think he's up there, but I haven't talked to him yet. Figured it'd be better if we were all together."

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

((haha forgetting to check this? y'all are crazy))

After their short meeting had adjourned, Carl retired to the office of the watch tower's captain to quickly outline the star chart that he would be filling in when the sun went down. When the stars were visible, Carl ascended to the top of the tower and went to work, marking the stars and connecting them to identify any constellations. About two hours after night fell, Carl sighed and determined that the map was sufficiently filled out for the group to navigate with at least moderate success. Having two experienced adventurers helps...their natural instincts should be able to fill in the holes on my map without incident.

He descended to the base of the tower to find Rostislav and Fenna waiting and chatting outside. "Fortuitous timing, you two. I believe I've been able to map enough of the sky that we can navigate out into the wilderness with a high chance of returning. Shall we touch base with the sheriff before departing? We're burning starlight!"
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

"Oh, so you were here all along! Excellent. Great to hear that the chart is ready, too!," Fenna said to Carl, before turning to Rostislav. "Guess we had nothing to worry about, eh?

But... yes, now that we're all here, it'd be best if we departed as soon as possible. Did either of you see the sheriff?"

((Additional Apologies. Has been a bad month for me, both with normal schoolwork (capstone project, senior courses, etc) and also my thesis (dynamic simulation of chemical process control)'s first draft is due at the end of february and all that sort of thing. Also for a long time I didn't even check here because I didn't know it'd restarted. ))

"I'm Sorry I'm late"
    The sheriff walked around the edge of the guard tower, with all his supplies in a bag on his back. "I had to leave a note, and decide on if it made any sense to send a third search party in case this second one, us, went missing. Decided to leave that to the discretion of whomever would be involved."

He lit his lantern with a match, striking it against the stairs of the watchtower, and adjusted the aperture to cast as wide a light as possible.
    "I'm glad to see that you all decided to come. It does mean a lot. Now, Shall we depart?"

-----
    This part of the forest is not terribly densely wooded, and the trees are fairly skinny, with not too much undergrowth. Unfortunately, any chance of tracking footprints in the snow has been lost. It didn't snow in the town during the day, but the ground here looks almost entirely undisturbed, save for a few small animal tracks. The sky was at least somewhat visible through the treetops, and though it was cloudy enough to obscure every other star, the low, red star would still be visible if one had the angle to see it, hanging menacingly just above the horizon.
    "Alright, I've not spent much time out here, so I should defer to your expertises. Just remember, count the shadows. There should only be one for each of us, for each light source. There is probably something wrong if there are too many, or worse, too few."

The sheriff's comment made Rostislav sniff, and then a short moment later he took a quick look around. There were four shadows and four sets of footprints, as there should be, and he couldn't help but wonder if the man's remark was figurative somehow, or that the mysterious kidnappers really were something so otherworldly.

The thought caused him to laugh, though it quickly turned into a clearing of the throat. The snowy forest's silence and the uncanny atmosphere was not so unusual to him, though he was by no means relaxed. He took to walking at the party's back, watching over the rest while still looking over his shoulder occasionally. There was not yet anything out of the ordinary, not yet anything to track, and not yet anything to discuss.

It had been an unceremonious departure from the town, and there hadn't been much going on since they first ventured into the forest. While not necessarily attempting to start a conversation, Rostislav figured he may as well respond to the sheriff's earlier remark. "We're all here for now, it seems, and just us alone. But if anyone wants to get lost or anyone wants to jump out at us, I would prefer it to be here than when the trees grow more dense, yes?"

He chuckled before taking a less hearty tone. "This forest, it is quite lifeless here. But I am reassured to see there are some animals rather than none at all. If our supplies run out " he ruslted the bag slung over his shoulder "I will replenish them, though that would be a while. How is our pace so far, Carl? Are we close to this, what was it... tower?"

Thread Information