Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Kid Icarus Uprising

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Re: Kid Icarus Uprising

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of someone deeming someone's very existence as "unnatural" or something that needs to be destroyed...Yeah, Dark Pit is violent and fights and destroys a lot, but he only seems to be interested in fighting his other self AND the Underworld army, and other than what Palutena might have said, he doesn't seem interested in hurting innocents... And since I don't really trust Palutena, and I know she can be wrong on some things, I'm siding with Dark Pit on this one, or at the very least, I don't entirely buy the idea that Dark Pit needed to be destroyed, like Palutena was implying. Maybe suppressed or just have weapons taken away from him. Again, his animosity seems to be more towards the Gods then anyone else, and seeing how the Gods act, I'm actually all for that kind of mindset.
    It is heavily implied in Chapter 9 that Dark Pit only helped Pit because he sensed he was in danger. In reality he does fight whoever he wants and destroys everything that annoys him (Heck, in Chapter 5,
    he betrayed Pandora. Chapter 6, he is both killing Underworld troops and attacking Pit and in Chapter 13 he actually attacks the Lunar Sanctum Core
    even when fighting you. Who knows what other things he did off the screen).

Calling someone's existence unnatural does seem harsh, but you have to understand that neither Pit nor Palutena nor even Pandora/Medusa knew if Dark Pit was just another Underground troop or an actual living being.

Given how Dark Pit is a clone of Pit, and given how powerful Pit is... yeah, it would be a pretty bad thing, leaving such a powerful individual to roam as he pleases, especially since neither side knew if he actually had morals. I'm guessing that by the end of the game
    Palutena leaves Dark Pit alone because she realized that she was wrong about him, at least a little.

I don't know why you have it out for Palutena though? I mean, sure, her individual actions may be wrong, but she didn't do anything that can be qualified as bad when compared to
    Viridi and Hades... well, with exception from Chapters 18-20, but that wasn't even her fault.

If anything Palutena is the only Goddess who he "respects"... if you can call that respect.

Maybe I am too harsh on Pit and Palutena, maybe I don't notice the good moments they have as much, but Pit's narrow-minded nature on what's good and what's evil just annoys me... to the point of
    calling Viridi the "Goddess of Brutality". Yeah, she caused mass genocide and is kind of a brat, but still.
    The game is filled with optional dialogue, actually! Sometimes, in some chapters, Pit and Palutena (and sometimes even
    Viridi
    and
    Hades
    ) start talking about random things, and its in those moments when you see how good friends they are. They have known each other for more than 25 years, after all! Of course Pit is going to trust more in her friend than
    some random Goddess who just killed thousands of people just because he hates them.
    Context is important here.

I had a theory that Pit is actually secretly in love with Palutena, and I used to think that would be the only justification to why he'd just blindly follows whatever she says. Kind of like Metroid: Other M, only done (intentionally) comedicly.
    In the Original Kid Icarus, this is suggested in one of the endings, actually. But that's when Pit is an adult.

Maybe I need to play through the game more, to make sure I pick up on all the details between Dark Pit and Pit, because there are TONS of conversations that can be easily skipped over, not to mention, it's hard to focus on what they're saying when you're trying to survive an on-slot of enemy attacks!

You're theory on the "link" between Pit and Dark Pit is actually a very good one, one that I hadn't considered but makes a whole lot of sense.
    Yep, as I said, this game has a lot of random and impromptu conversations that deepen the character interactions.
    Replaying the chapters really helps you.

And its not a theory,
    it is said by Dark Pit in Chapter 21 :3c
    Last edited by Doofenshmirtz; April 15th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

"I'm not in the mood." itsameluigi1290's Avatar
    Hell. Oops, did I say Hell? I meant Iowa. Hard to tell the difference.

The whole secret crush thing might be foreshadowed when
    Dark Pit and Palutena were arguing, in ch. 22, Hades said "Get a room, lovebirds". Of course, that's Pitoo, not Pit. And much earlier, in ch 2, when Pit asked how Palutena could sense treasure, she said she could read his heart, and said he'd better not be thinking about anything naughty (lol).
    I dunno. I'm not good with speculationy stuff.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas
    The X-Blade is a part of your heart too, idiot.

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

While someone here mentioned that we didn't hear much of
    Magnus and Gaol
    , we heard even less about
    Phosphora or Poseidon
    . I kind of wondered what happened to them... especially since the only thing we hear about
    Phosphora is that she takes care of the lightning chariot while Pit's on his mission. But then Pittoo gets the lightning chariot. Did he steal it? Did he convince her to let him have it? Did she find him herself and give it to him? Did she confuse him for Pit? As far as I remember, they don't shed light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
    It is heavily implied in Chapter 9 that Dark Pit only helped Pit because he sensed he was in danger. In reality he does fight whoever he wants and destroys everything that annoys him (Heck, in Chapter 5,
    he betrayed Pandora. Chapter 6, he is both killing Underworld troops and attacking Pit and in Chapter 13 he actually attacks the Lunar Sanctum Core
    even when fighting you. Who knows what other things he did off the screen).

Calling someone's existence unnatural does seem harsh, but you have to understand that neither Pit nor Palutena nor even Pandora/Medusa knew if Dark Pit was just another Underground troop or an actual living being.

Given how Dark Pit is a clone of Pit, and given how powerful Pit is... yeah, it would be a pretty bad thing, leaving such a powerful individual to roam as he pleases, especially since neither side knew if he actually had morals. I'm guessing that by the end of the game
    Palutena leaves Dark Pit alone because she realized that she was wrong about him, at least a little.

I don't know why you have it out for Palutena though? I mean, sure, her individual actions may be wrong, but she didn't do anything that can be qualified as bad when compared to
    Viridi and Hades... well, with exception from Chapters 18-20, but that wasn't even her fault.

If anything Palutena is the only Goddess who he "respects"... if you can call that respect.

The game is filled with optional dialogue, actually! Sometimes, in some chapters, Pit and Palutena (and sometimes even
    Viridi
    and
    Hades
    ) start talking about random things, and its in those moments when you see how good friends they are. They have known each other for more than 25 years, after all! Of course Pit is going to trust more in her friend than
    some random Goddess who just killed thousands of people just because he hates them.
    Context is important here.

In the Original Kid Icarus, this is suggested in one of the endings, actually. But that's when Pit is an adult.

Yep, as I said, this game has a lot of random and impromptu conversations that deepen the character interactions.
    Replaying the chapters really helps you.

And its not a theory,
    it is said by Dark Pit in Chapter 21 :3c
    To deny someone's existence simply because of your uncertainty of his alignment seems rather arrogant, even if you ARE concerned with the general safety of everyone. Again, we only see Dark Pit attacking troops and forces related to the Gods, and while it COULD be argued that he MIGHT be doing bad things in-between the chapters, from what I've seen, Dark Pit doesn't seem to be doing anymore damage then the Underworld Army,
    the Forces of Nature
    , or even Palutena's Army and Pit. To single him out, simply because he was created by the Mirror of Truth, just seems really cruel to me. Of course, I could go into the deep subject matter of "what is life", how we should live, and who are we to decide what does and doesn't deserve to live, but given that there are actual GODS in this series, and therefore kind of have a default "my way or the highway" ruling over any given subject, it could get a LOT more complicated...

I'll admit, I definitely hated Palutena a lot more while playing the game, because of how she occasionally treated Pit. This is also a case of expectations, I did NOT see Palutena in this light (no pun intended) when I initially saw her in the first Kid Icarus or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I pictured her as some kind of divine being, flawless in every way, and just a perfect, caring being. And while she IS nicer than... well, pretty much EVERY OTHER GOD in the game (with the possible exception of Poseidon, who we don't see that much of), she still comes of as relatively comedic, and even outright trollish to me. The parts that really get to me is when she used Pit as live bait for a Hewdraw head in Chapter 3, and how she willingly admitted she'd abuse the possibility of having two Pits under her command (she claims it's all part of being a Goddess, but still, geez man). So while I do liker her more then the other morally ambiguous or outright evil Gods out there, she's definitely not the kind of person I'd put my absolute faith in, and I would probably question her actions more often then Pit does.

I guess it's hard for me to realize Pit and Palutena have known each other for over 25 years, because to me, I know very little about Palutena. The last two Kid Icarus games she was in, she was captured, Super Smash Bros. Brawl didn't add much, so her personality way pretty much invented with this game... I think that might be a major problem with the game's story, in that quite a bit of things are merely implied and not outright shown. As the audience, we're left to judge characters by what they do and say onscreen, so for the game to hide behind the "they're good friends, and they're really nice people, you'll just have to take our word for it" angle, it seems really cheap. But then again, they DO take moments to establish that Palutena is a good Goddess, such as curing Chapter 4, when she feels she's not doing enough to protect and defend humanity... But I can't help but feel that her trollish moments overshadow those moments, even if they ARE in playful jest. I don't think that was the intention at all, either... I guess it goes back to the expectations thing, and how I honestly did NOT expect Palutena to act this way. But then again, it DOES make her character more interesting then just a flawless goody-two-shoes. So, in summation, yeah, Good Goddess, but still, not the kind I'd put blind devotion into every word and action.

That ending, or so I heard, was actually only in the American version. The Japanese version had a different "worst ending" in which Pit would get turned into a Specknose!

Well now I have to replay chapters then, to get the full story! Geez, there's so much to this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaurshotgun View Post
    While someone here mentioned that we didn't hear much of
    Magnus and Gaol
    , we heard even less about
    Phosphora or Poseidon
    . I kind of wondered what happened to them... especially since the only thing we hear about
    Phosphora is that she takes care of the lightning chariot while Pit's on his mission. But then Pittoo gets the lightning chariot. Did he steal it? Did he convince her to let him have it? Did she find him herself and give it to him? Did she confuse him for Pit? As far as I remember, they don't shed light on this.
    I'll admit, while I wouldn't mind seeing more of
    Poseidon
    , I actually don't care all that much about seeing more of
    Phosphora
    . She's a popular character, but I'm just sort of "meh" about her. And I think people are more interested about
    Magnus and Gaol
    is that they're humans, while the other two are a God and a servant of a Goddess. It's a lot more interesting to see how the humans react to the Gods, because really, they're the center of all this.
    Hades wants humans killed for their souls, Viridi wants to kill humans because she thinks they're too brutal and harm nature too much,
    and Palutena tries to protect them all. They're the center stage of all of this, yet the least explored in the main game. It's like when Germany invaded Chekoslovakia, and they weren't invited to the actual meeting about whether or not Germany could have it. Instead, Great Britain and France were all like "Don't you worry about a thing, the BIG BOYS will handle this!"

I might be getting my history wrong, and for that, I apologize.

Anyway, the point is, Palutena and Pit fight to defend humanity, but we're reminded time and time again that "humans are &&&&&&&s"... So, um, would anyone mind telling us what the humans THEMSELVES think of all this? The only real person who can is Magnus, and possibly Gaol, and like we said, they're barely in this game. THAT'S why I want to see more of them in any possible sequels.
    Last edited by DededeMan202; April 16th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

Anyway, the point is, Palutena and Pit fight to defend humanity, but we're reminded time and time again that "humans are &&&&&&&s"... So, um, would anyone mind telling us what the humans THEMSELVES think of all this? The only real person who can is Magnus, and possibly Gaol, and like we said, they're barely in this game. THAT'S why I want to see more of them in any possible sequels.
    Yeah, I agree, they're more interesting. I was thinking more about filling holes in the plot. Magnus certainly is one of my favorite characters especially
    in the Ring of Chaos chapter
    . And like you said,
    Phosphora
    isn't all that interesting, but I kinda wanted to know more about what her deal was.

I think that with
    Phosphera
    , her deal is that
    she's a servant of Viridi, she's very powerful, and she has more of a relaxed, valley girl type of attitude. To me, personally, I think the only real reason people are into her is because of her appearance, and how nicely her personality plays into the whole "hottie" angle, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, as far as
    Viridi's
    forces go, I found
    Arlon
    more interesting. He's calm, polite, perfectly open to compromise, but at the same time, loyal to the Goddess he serves. Unfortunately, we don't see him again after you defeat him in
    chapter 13
    , which leads me to believe that
    he might have been killed by Pit, which is a darn shame... ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS KEEP DYING OR BE RUINED IN THIS GAME! Except Dark Pit and Dyntos.

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Oh man, I have to read through this thread sometime. I have much to say about this game! Thanks for blocking the spoilers too, everyone. I'm trying to hold off on finishing the last couple chapters at the moment and am just going back to hit up levels on higher intensities for better loot. Very fun, surprising and addictive game all-around...also extremely weird. And the cast is just colorful as heck.
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Tell me about it. Everyone's voice in that I know from somewhere else. Of course, Pit's is a little obscure. The only thing I remember him from is as Reptil from the Superhero Squad Show. He apparently does young Kratos as well, or at least, that's what IMDB said. I don't play M rated games. A little tip for intensity 9.0, try using the babel club. It worked EXTREMELY well on ch 1.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Standing Ovation! PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar

I actually feel kind of bad for resenting this game, as I heard that the next Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U wouldn't start until they finished development of Uprising. I eventually bought it, mostly to use the AR cards that came with my issue of Nintendo Power, as well as the free cards from Club Nintendo...holy crap, I love this game! The Intensity Cauldron is a stroke of genius.

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    Tell me about it. Everyone's voice in that I know from somewhere else. Of course, Pit's is a little obscure. The only thing I remember him from is as Reptil from the Superhero Squad Show. He apparently does young Kratos as well, or at least, that's what IMDB said. I don't play M rated games. A little tip for intensity 9.0, try using the babel club. It worked EXTREMELY well on ch 1.
    The only voice actor in the game I recognized was Cree Summer as Medusa (good choice). I'm sure if I looked up the other voice actors, I'd probably remember what characters they voiced before.

If you watched Danny Phantom, then you STILL wouldn't know that
    Hades' voice is Dash Baxter from the aforementioned show.
    It's a really tough one.

Also, I forgot to say why the babel club is useful. Not only can it deflect shots in air battles, but it's charged shots are multi hits. Since twinbellows is very big, it's very useful.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

OH YEAH, I just read up a few hours ago that
    Viridi
    is voiced by the same person who did Starfire from Teen Titans and Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time!

Listening to her again, I'm suddenly seeing the similarities.

I MAY have mentoned that she was Starfire earlier, but it doesn't matter. I LOVE Teen Titans, I just wish it didn't end on such a low note...

So, what's the highest intensity that you guys have played the last chapter on? I was on 9, but died so I beat it on 8.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

I played through chapter 19 (or was it 20?) on 5.0 intensity... The only chapter I managed to beat on 9.0 intensity is chapter 1.

I can beat Chapter 1 on 9.0, including the Intensity Gate, but I always die flying in Chapter 2, finishing at 8.0. At one point, I switched out my trusty Jetstream Orbitals for a Burst Blade and somehow survived flying, only to get destroyed four times on the ground. 'Twas strange.

I have to say, some of the more hidden pieces of dialogue are absolutely hilarious. Here's one I discovered just earlier tonight. (Probably somewhat paraphrased, but you get the idea.)

"Bows are a good fit for you!"

*stuff about properties of bows*

"Yeah, they served me really well during the last brawl!"

"Brawl?!? That sounds awful! Were you hurt?"

"No way, it was a smash!"

"Ok... I can't imagine you in a melee."

"That's... because I wasn't."
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Hey, I just discovered an awesome tip for getting high-level weapons: boss battle mode on higher levels. Seriously, I got to the second checkpoint on medium difficulty and got an EZ Cannon valued at 313. My first checkpoint's weapon was valued at 289. So yeah, highly recommended.

Also, anyone know what the weapon cap is? I've been hoarding them, as I don't want to fuse/sell them until I finish most of the other treasure hunt objectives (in case I end up randomly finding that kind of weapon in a drop, which would save me some weapons).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas1024 View Post
    I have to say, some of the more hidden pieces of dialogue are absolutely hilarious. Here's one I discovered just earlier tonight. (Probably somewhat paraphrased, but you get the idea.)

Oh my gosh, that was hilarious. I'm guessing it was in ch. 2, right? Once you go left when she senses treasure, then she'll talk about the weapon you're using. Viridi did the same thing in ch. 20.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

So I keep picking up these powers that I already have. Does that do anything good for me, or does the game just forget about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklesqueak View Post
    So I keep picking up these powers that I already have. Does that do anything good for me, or does the game just forget about it?
    It's good if they're different levels. Lower level powers are easier to fit than higher ones, but obviously higher ones give you more opportunities to use that power. Trust me, these can make a MAJOR difference in combat.

I found this out trying to make a stealth set like Dinosaurshotgun did. Because the Stealth Claws come with the bonus of invisible shots, I don't need a section of squares dedicated to the invisible shots power, and then I can bump up the levels of Transparency and such.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas1024 View Post

Yeah, this game's dialogue is pure gold! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Nap1400 View Post
    It's good if they're different levels. Lower level powers are easier to fit than higher ones, but obviously higher ones give you more opportunities to use that power. Trust me, these can make a MAJOR difference in combat.
    I'm pretty sure I've been finding powers of levels identical to the ones I already have. Then again, I could just be crazy.

I've been playing through 9.0 intensity levels quite a bit, and I'm still stuck finding lower-leveled powers. It seems like I actually have a better chance at new powers by playing online, but I guess that's just the way my luck works. Completing the Power Portrait will definitely be a pain since these powers just don't seem to want to be around me.

And speaking of online battles, if anyone sees me on the forum and wants to battle, just shoot me a VM (just not tonight since I'm tired)! I'm on the forum quite a bit, but I haven't been on Together mode in a while, and I miss playing with the guys from BitF.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    I've been playing through 9.0 intensity levels quite a bit, and I'm still stuck finding lower-leveled powers. It seems like I actually have a better chance at new powers by playing online, but I guess that's just the way my luck works. Completing the Power Portrait will definitely be a pain since these powers just don't seem to want to be around me.
    The Treasure Hunt needs to be completed if you want to complete the Power Portrait. Some of the Powers are exclusive to that board.
    ...Of course, you can get a new one Online, but since they're given at random... yeah.

I only need 6 Powers to complete the portrait now. I wonder which ones are those...

So I was playing the game, and I went to treasure hunt, and I came across something very startling:

You can't use a feather to unlock the "Clear all chapters on intensity 9.0"

Well, there goes another game that I tried to 100%...

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Thread Information