Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Brawl in the Family is ending

Cute Little Poot

Re: Brawl in the Family is ending

I...
    I'm torn up about it.
    I am. It pains me to see it end.

See, I started my webcomic reading career years ago. My first one was Dueling Analogs, but Steve started having a lot of repeats and I didn't like that (though I still visit sometimes because he puts up fun Flash games).
    And my second...Count Your Sheep by Adrian Ramos. This is partly why it's so sad. That comic died hard, and when it died, it was painful to read through the archives. Literally, physically painful to see it sputter repeats.
    But see, after a short while, I found BiTF. I suppose, along with Sandra and Woo, BiTF was one of the first comics I found that wasn't dead yet. It was funny, and cute, and I had never even heard of Adeleine before (not an avid person-who-seeks-out-retro-games type of person) but instantly fell in love with her, and all the others.
    I read through the archives, like I do with any comic or manga I enjoy. And, like I do with comics and manga I absolutely love, I re-read it. To me, BiTF is nearly on-par with Code Lyoko, Koko ni Iru Yo, Kiwi Blitz, and very few others. That might not sound like a compliment, but to me, especially for a comic that's mainly gag strips as opposed to story strips, that is a very special place in my heart.
    There's no pain quite like seeing a good series stop, either abruptly or planned. You can view it optimistically, like Nintendo Power, as completion, but that doesn't stop the pain, only diminishes it.
    So believe me when I say this: BiTF will always be special. Not just to me, but to the whole internet. It is enshrined in the permanent memories of all who have read and enjoyed it. It wont die or fade as is the fate of many webcomics, it will end. It will be a series forever circulated throughout the world, continuing to exist in my heart.

With that eulogy being said, if you ever create new work, Matthew, I want to see it, be it fan art to an entire new comic. You are an amazing creator and when you continue to create, it's as if nothing is ending at all. If anyone has a link to somewhere I can view art like that, please let me know.

Let the world move on and forever remember what happened on this webcomic.

Re: Today's announcement (Comic 580)

I guess getting rid of Waluigi should have tipped me off. :/

Truthfully speaking, this is the only gaming webcomic, if not the only webcomic period, I've ever enjoyed. It's the only one I've known that proved you didn't need constant references to genitalia or feces, or pervasive strong language, to still be funny. (Even Penny Arcade, in all its greatness, falls victim to this trap.) It's one of the few I've known that never once decided to ditch all or even most traces of humor in favor of boring grimdark plot. It was one of the few webcomics I've read that had a genuinely light-hearted, non-cynical tone. Most importantly though, it's one of the very, very few entirely work-safe, family-friendly webcomics. It was something I could show to my hypothetical children without fear that it might screw them up somehow. It read like Nickelodeon show, and I hate having to write about this webcomic in the past tense now, I honestly do.
    And what will happen once everything draws to a close? Right back to excrement jokes, angst, and sex references. That's one less light of goodness in a sea of mediocrity. Yours was truly a unique brand of comedy and I wish it could stick around forever.

But I understand why you're doing it and I respect your decision. Good luck in your future endeavors!

(One Lip cameo before you go, though? Please?)
    Last edited by Midna; July 29th, 2014 at 08:44 PM.

I know I haven't been on in almost a year, but I had to log back in for this.

Thanks for the memories, TB. Good luck with your future endeavors.

I may be just a random user that made an account years ago, made a single post in the introduction thread, then disappeared for the rest of the time, but... having been a user who's been reading since way back in 2008/9, I'm am really sad to see this go. Brawl In The Family being one of the very few web comics I actually cared for, when I heard it was ending, I literally almost spat the coffee I was drinking all over my computer screen.

I respect your decision, and your reasoning for doing so is sound. It's always best to end on a high note instead of letting the quality go down over time, but man... Am I sad to see this go. It's one of the few gaming web comics that affectionately poked fun at the games featured in it instead of doing so in a mean spirited manner like most other gaming comics, and managed to stay very true to the characters in them despite being a parody. (Again, unlike most other gaming comics that tend to flanderize the characters in them for the sake of humor. I find the best humor comes from managing to keep the characters in character, but that's a different subject completely.) With this gone, there's only one other web comic that I follow now, and even that looks like it's starting to reach it's end soon...

... Man, it really feels like the end of an era with this coming to a close and a new Smash game on the way. I have so many good memories associated with Brawl, as well as with this comic. Times always change though, and nothing is forever...

Sorry if I'm getting melodramatic. Again, I respect your decision, and wish you luck on your future projects.

Totally going to go on an achieve binge and reread all the comic strips though once it ends. /shot

The Doc of...not MUSH! (*boooooo*) Dr. Mushroom's Avatar
    A few hundred miles from Unova, apparently.

It's funny. This comic is ending only a little after I leave for my two-year mission in Vegas. I was planning on coming back and reading the 400-or-so new pages of genius that this man has constantly put out.

But it is ending well. On a good note, and before it gets dry. That I can respect.

At least the forums will still be around. Hypothetically. So long as people here are still interested in it. Hoping it sticks around for when I get back.

Thanks for the amazing comic, and the best of luck to you.
    Kindergarten.
    Want to see more cool drawings? Check out my flickr page!
    More importantly, here's my YouTube channel! Cool music videos!
    Also, Yes, I'm a Mormon!

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

Hi again!

First of all, thank you to everyone who's taken the time to respond. Your comments are quite touching and make all the work involved in this comic really worth it. It's also great seeing so many familiar faces again! I was never the most active board member, but I recognize a ton of you from the past several years, and it's cool hearing back from so many of you. I can't respond to every comment, but I definitely am reading them all and will continue to do so. I will address a few more questions that are floating around here and elsewhere on the internet about Brawl in the Family's end.

Why end it so close to the next Smash Bros. release? Shouldn't that give you a bunch of new material?

I'm not sure how everyone else sees it, but for me, BitF isn't really about Smash Bros, exactly--the premise of Smash (all these characters coming together) is sort of the jumping off point for BitF, so it's linked in that way. But a new SSB game doesn't necessarily mean, like, dozens of new comic ideas. There's definitely a few things you can work with (particularly newcomers, which I've tried to still make strips about), but it's like since I came up with x comics after Brawl, I can come up with an equal amount after 3DS/Wii U. More than SSB itself, BitF is simply about Nintendo, and its characters interacting in fun ways.

How long was this planned?

I started seriously thinking about ending the comic at some point when I was making the "The Legion" series. That's why the Christmas arc references so many other arcs and sort of comes full circle with the first Christmas story, and why (as many of you suspected) the most recent Waluigi series has a sense of finality to it.

Will the last character spot be filled in?

That's something that I do want to fill in, although it's probably going to be with someone not all that surprising (someone who's appeared in the comic a lot already and just never had a character spot). I'm reflecting on a couple of the loose ends and considering right now if there's a way to tie them up before the end.

Will the site stay up? Will the store close? Are there really no Dededolls left?

The site will stay for sure. The store will only close once there's no merchandise left. Full disclosure--I still have a moderate number of T-shirts (although not every shirt in every size anymore), cards, and a LOT of books available. If any store-owners out there are interested in buying merchandise wholesale, I'd be willing to part with a large number of books at once for a lower price. As for the Dededolls...sorry, but they're all gone! I wish I had a couple hundred more left, but the minimum I can order is a whopping 1,000, and there's no way I can store that or reliably sell that at this point.

Can we get more info on book 2 and 3?

It's probably no secret at this point that I'd like to Kickstart Book 2 and 3...but this is likely going to be a single Kickstarter for both books together...so readers won't have to wait too long to get the whole collection! Well, assuming it's successful. I'm really happy with how Volume One came out and readers seem to be really happy with it as well, so I really want to do the whole collection correctly. To have them remain the same quality as the first volume, a Kickstarter is really the best way to do it. That'll probably be starting within a month or so.

What about the Podcast?

The Podcast might actually go on longer than the comics themselves, but likely not on a particularly frequent basis. I still definitely want to get in a couple more before the comic itself ends, and Chris and I still like talking about games from time to time, so I'm sure we'll get the itch to do more podcasts now and again. I also plan on fixing the podcast page soon.

Incidentally, the fact of the matter is, even after all this time, I don't know how to move anything around on the site...I always have to get someone else to do it for me! I just draw the stuff and upload them. The tech aspects are over my head, which is kinda why the site's always a little buggy. So...sorry for that wonkiness!

Anything else?

That's it for now. Thank you all once again for pourin' your hearts out and such. Makes me get all sentimental, it does. But we still got several weeks left, so it's not all bad! And hey, at least once it ends, you'll have an awesome new Smash to play too. Silver lining, right? I hope the impending ending doesn't effect one's enjoyment of the remaining comics, either way.

Time to answer some emails and PMs...
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

It's good that you took the time to answer those ^-^

Something I forgot to mention: From the time I started reading BitF in 2009 I always imagined what kind of comic would come up if Adeleine came back into the Kirby series, whether it was a small cameo like the animal friends got or a big appearance. I bet that'd give you a ton more material XD

Thanks for replying to all of that. But why didn't you draw Kirby asking those questions?

(Ok, I know you're busy, but I'd be cute)

Anyway, I have a guess that the final profile will be
    you
    , but that's not likely. Also, will you ever show us that PG-13 Thromp comic?
    Last edited by smasher; July 31st, 2014 at 12:24 AM.

Back from a long, long journey That Freaking Charmander's Avatar

man, nearly seven years. It's been one great and wild ride, and I'll miss BitF as much as everyone else. Thanks Matt for having one of the best web comics around.

Is the store having a "going out of business" sale?

Laughs at his own jokes--HAHAHAHAohwait OshaliteX2's Avatar
    Mossdeep City. Where else? Pallet Town?! HA!!

YESH!! MORE PODCAST!

Thank you SO MUCH TriforceBun! I'm near tears of joy here! *sniff* So happy...

The reason I like this is because one of my favorite aspects of BitF were the reviews and opinions, they were friendly AND funny, and didn't make anyone hate the "article". (can't think of a better word okay?) And the Podcast helped in that aspect... that sounded kinda chunky... by being really long, so there'd be more time for review. (and other funny stuff) Also the intros were always hilarious.
    But I have a question... will you be telling us when you'll have the next Podcast up? Or a rough date? I know this is kinda dumb, but I want to know.
    Last edited by OshaliteX2; July 31st, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Feed me lemons or feed me life!
    Spoiler: Badges and stuff you should click! 
    Oh yeah, I also have a CYOA.

Cute Little Poot

So there's a bunch of stuff I've wanted to say since I read the announcement, and now that it's been an entire week I guess it's about time I do so.

Like everyone else, I'm really sad to see the comic is ending. I've been following it for a little more than 2 years (Comic 416 - Just Married was my first one), and since then I've been looking forward to every single friday and (especially) tuesday. It's a great comic that fits my sense of humor perfectly, and the only webcomic I've ever been following. Also, it's always given me an extra reason to look forward to get home from school. So waking up to this completely ruined my mood for several days, and I'm still really sad about it. But at the same time I'm glad you decided to end it the proper way. I'd hate for it to get bad, so ending it after you've started to notice that you're having a hard time coming up with new strips, but before it actually starts affecting the quality of the comic is pretty much the best thing you could do. Also, glad you warned us a few months ahead of time so it doesn't come as too big of a surprise when it ends.

And hey, even though we can't look forward to new strips anymore after it's ended, we still have almost 600 strips to reread whenever we feel like it. Already read them all at least a couple of times, and I'm definitely not gonna stop just because the comic ends. Also, I just ordered the book a few days ago (sad to hear there aren't any Dededolls left, though... ;-; ), and I'm sure to get the next 2 volumes as well, so that's gonna make it even more fun to reread them. Might not be quite the same as having new strips to read twice a week, but at least it's something.

Also, I'm really gonna miss the characters. 'Cause even though it's true that they aren't really your characters and you can't change too much about them, I still feel like they're your own, personal versions of them. Nintendo's version of Kirby doesn't run around hugging everyone and treating King Dedede as a friend. And Nintendo's version of Waluigi doesn't go around waaing at people. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while we'll keep seeing most of these characters in games, I'm still gonna miss them because your versions have so much more personality, which makes them a lot more likeable. So it kind of feels like we're losing our own little family. 3:

As for the last few comics, it's in a bittersweet way I say that I look forward to them. I'm actually one of those really pessimistic people who usually has a hard time enjoying something when I know it's about to end, but I'll do my best to enjoy these last few strips to their fullest. I'm confident that, even though there aren't that many left, they'll still bring me many more laughs (and definitely also tears).

And even though BitF will be over soon, that doesn't mean it's the last we'll hear from you. I'm personally really looking forward to Tadpole Treble and any other projects you decide to work on, and I'm gonna keep following you long after BitF's end.

So I guess all that remains to say is thank you, for making this amazing comic, and, while I haven't been a part of it myself, what seems to be a really great community. And good luck with game development, music, and any other projects you might end up working on in the future. I hope you'll enjoy doing it just as much as, if not even more than, you have enjoyed working with BitF!

I have been following this comic for about three to four years. I was introduced to it by my boyfriend and ever since then I have followed this comic with lots of love. I haven't been a very social person on the forum, in fact I only joined a week ago.

Every Tuesday and Friday I would be excited about the new comic. What hilarious punchline would Matthew write next? What news in the gaming world?

I also have enjoyed watching your art get better and better throughout the years. If you compare your comic art now to six years ago, you will see that you have improved significantly.

There is one comic that my brother and I reference constantly, Comic 557- Developing relationship. I showed that comic to my brother and we both lost it. And every now and then one of us will say: "I think I'm ready to take this relationship to the next level."

Even though it makes me sad to know that the comic is ending, I understand why. But for the time it has been up (and is still up) I have and will continue to enjoy your wonderful work. Also even though we don't know each other in person, I feel somewhat like we're friends. I always read the text at the bottom of your comic and it sort of feels like you're talking to me.

You have also inspired me to start my own comic. For several years I have had a Smash Bros. fan-fiction in my head and I thought it would be cool to put it down in comic form. If it weren't for you I probably wouldn't have had that inspiration.

Thank you so much for Brawl In The Family, I hope that your other projects turn out as well as this one has.

OMG NO!

... ;-; Thank you Matthew

That's all I can muster to say, for now. I'll say more later, once the shock wears off. (But... really, thank you so much for the years)

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post

Will the last character spot be filled in?

That's something that I do want to fill in, although it's probably going to be with someone not all that surprising (someone who's appeared in the comic a lot already and just never had a character spot). I'm reflecting on a couple of the loose ends and considering right now if there's a way to tie them up before the end.
    How about Sonic? He's appeared enough and considering his "butt monkey" status it'd be vindicating for the Blue Blur.

I do wonder what those loose ends are considering most of the PLOT this comic has had was tied up nicely, IMO.

Will the site stay up? Will the store close? Are there really no Dededolls left?

The site will stay for sure. The store will only close once there's no merchandise left. Full disclosure--I still have a moderate number of T-shirts (although not every shirt in every size anymore), cards, and a LOT of books available. If any store-owners out there are interested in buying merchandise wholesale, I'd be willing to part with a large number of books at once for a lower price. As for the Dededolls...sorry, but they're all gone! I wish I had a couple hundred more left, but the minimum I can order is a whopping 1,000, and there's no way I can store that or reliably sell that at this point.
    Just bought a T-Shirt and some playing cards. Would have bought a World's Best Hero mug to go with my Link mug from the Nintendo World Store but they're all out.

Already got a book, and glad I got a Dededoll when I had the chance.

Can we get more info on book 2 and 3?

It's probably no secret at this point that I'd like to Kickstart Book 2 and 3...but this is likely going to be a single Kickstarter for both books together...so readers won't have to wait too long to get the whole collection! Well, assuming it's successful. I'm really happy with how Volume One came out and readers seem to be really happy with it as well, so I really want to do the whole collection correctly. To have them remain the same quality as the first volume, a Kickstarter is really the best way to do it. That'll probably be starting within a month or so.
    I will be throwing money at this like no one's business.
    Last edited by Umbramatic; August 1st, 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Is anyone willing to sell me one of their Dededolls? I need a few weeks to get the money together but I never had the chance to buy one I'm willing to pay more than they were originally worth.

What about the Podcast?

The Podcast might actually go on longer than the comics themselves, but likely not on a particularly frequent basis. I still definitely want to get in a couple more before the comic itself ends, and Chris and I still like talking about games from time to time, so I'm sure we'll get the itch to do more podcasts now and again. I also plan on fixing the podcast page soon.

Incidentally, the fact of the matter is, even after all this time, I don't know how to move anything around on the site...I always have to get someone else to do it for me! I just draw the stuff and upload them. The tech aspects are over my head, which is kinda why the site's always a little buggy. So...sorry for that wonkiness!
    Yay! I love the podcasts. And no need to say they won't be frequent, 'cause they weren't to begin with, haha.

Loving dinosaurs since 1999 Autistic Paleontologist's Avatar

Mr. Matthew Taranto,

I've been reading your comics for little over a month now, and I just joined last week. But, I understand why you want to stop now. You have a lot of responsibilities on your shoulders now that you're an employee of Japan's longest-running and perhaps most famous entertainment corporation. Not to mention the fact that now that you have a wife and in the future, will (possibly) have some kids as well. I can't imagine, at 8 years younger than you and going into my junior year at college having that many responsibilities and not enough time in between to do what I want to do. But you are a blessed man. You followed your dreams, just casually creating silly little comics at first, but then it all evolved into the fulfillment you are experiencing today. I just hope that all goes well for you in the future.

With utmost sincerity,

the Autistic Paleontologist

Postscript: For the last comic, you should make Dedede finally "get" Kirby. Somehow.

If the podcasts do continue, where will you put them??
    Also, do you have any ideas for the final comic or its name? How about "End of the Family" or "Brawl away from the Family"?
    Last edited by smasher; August 3rd, 2014 at 08:19 AM.

Comin' at Ya! LuigiGodzillaGirl's Avatar

So, the dededolls are gone for good? Darn

Cute Little Poot

Man, sad news. Have another lurker fan message.

I had an account here several years ago, but I don't think I ever got round to saying just how much I loved BitF. All about Smash with a focus on Kirby (games Kirby! And Adeline as a main character!), light hearted but funny and clever, it was really everything I wanted in a comic. I stopped reading for a while but was so happy to still see it going years later, and that it was better than ever. Shame it took the ending announcement for me to actually come here and say so..

Nonetheless thank you for your fantastic work Mr Matthew, and hope you succeed with greater endeavors! Shame there'll be no more shirt restocks, but I'm excited to have finally ordered the first book. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the rest of the comics in book form too (hard cover versions if possible?).

That guy that does the things.
    Scotland: Home of Nessy and the wild Haggis!

In my "Fountain of Dreams" thread I said that I joined these forums in order to pay my respects and that's what I'm going to do.

BITF is easily one of the funniest comics on the 'net. Well, at least to me anyway. The terrible puns, the elaborate jokes, the long story arcs (yeah I'm lookin' at you Cocoon Academy!) and the really cutesy art style have all made this a rather special comic. So yeah. Thank you Matthew. The internet will definitely be a lesser place when the comic ends.

I was going to write something inspirational about moving on and stuff but I can't really think of anything so here's a DeDeDe instead.
    Last edited by halfblue99; August 6th, 2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

Despite its parental bonuses, BitF is easily the most popular "safe-for-work" (or should I say "safe for school"?) video game webcomic. It is very difficult to find one that is very similar.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

My heart just died. Thats... all I can say really. I loved it while it lasted.
    Spoiler: Click for full sig 

Quote Originally Posted by The Kirbinator View Post
    Despite its parental bonuses, BitF is easily the most popular "safe-for-work" (or should I say "safe for school"?) video game webcomic. It is very difficult to find one that is very similar.
    And probably, as I lamented earlier, the only "safe-for-work" video game webcomic.

Thread Information