PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

JSG
May 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Superstitions - Mainly beliefs (NOT RELIGION) such as lucky charms, karma, ect.

We know you might have one. Do believe you have karma? Have a lucky charm you use for good luck? Any certain routines? Certainties you avoid?

Examples:
Lucky Charms - "I keep my lucky sock with me for good luck!"
Routine - "I always put my right shoe on first."
Avoidance - "I stay away from Black Cats to not get bad luck."
Karmatic - "I'm always nice to get good things."
Other - "I always stay home on Friday the 13th"

Me: I have a lucky pencil I have kept using. I always freak upon losing it. My routine is mostly stretch out my left arm first most of the time. I like avoiding the number 6. I don't know much about my karmatic side. Anything else, well, I got nothing.

So, yours?

ThatFellow
May 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm not an entirely superstitious person, but I do have some weird tendencies.

For one, I avoid mirrors after midnight at every hour. As in, precisely 1AM, 2AM, 3AM, that sort of thing. I think I must have been spooked by those "Bloody Mary" stories as a kid. T'is odd.

And I would agree with Karma if I didn't consistently notice bad people getting good things. :P

As for something a little bit weirder, considering I've never swore, I have a weird thought that if I ever do, I'll blow up the universe. It's probably just my crazy imagination, but I'm not going to risk it. :P

Villerar
May 6th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I can't really think of anything. Generally, if I do something systematic, it's not because I ascribe any specific meaning to it, but because it is either more convenient or just a habit.

Same with theatre, I'm not somebody who avoids wishing good luck, but it's not really an issue either.

Cloudodom
May 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I believe in karma I guess, but that's more of a religion thing, personally. I only use superstitions to tell people to "Don't step on azaleas or you'll break the universe." Ghosties are cool though, but as I said with karma, it can sometimes be related to religions like Buddhism or Hinduism, which is the reason I believe in those things. Oh and mirrors as TFWTH said, mirrors scare the crap outta me. Especially at night.

Villerar
May 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM
For one, I avoid mirrors after midnight at every hour. As in, precisely 1AM, 2AM, 3AM, that sort of thing. I think I must have been spooked by those "Bloody Mary" stories as a kid. T'is odd.

Stories about Margaret Thatcher would spook any kid. Yes, I'm aware it's actually vaguely based on Mary, Queen of Scots, a ruthless autocrat.

I would file it as first degree mental abuse, though.

Rebel Vanguard
May 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Superstitions huh?

Well, I have a few actually.

Lucky Charms:
-I always carry two 2-dollar bills with me in my wallet, because when I got the first one, my parents told me to keep it for good luck.
-I also have a pair of brown shoes, that look kinda trashy which I consider my "Lucky shoes" mainly because everytime I wear them, something amazing happens. But if I abuse the luck, then they'll stop being lucky. So I wear them only when I know I need the luck.

Routines:
-Never leave home without my wallet. EVER. Deodorant too.
-Always open my locker at school even if I don't need to open it.

Avoidance:
-Nothing really besides wierd/obnoxious people.

Karmatic:
-Pretty much the example used.

Peasley
May 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I believe in ghosts. No lie.

Taigiry
May 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I found an 1 coin on my first day at the new school, which I still have. I consider this my lucky charm.
I also avoid walking under ladders and looking into a mirror after midnight (the only exception being Silvester/New Year's Eve).

Someone Else
May 13th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Nope. No superstitions here.

I mean, I don't believe in this stuff.

Good luck charms do nothing. If you're lucky then you're lucky, it's not due to a piece of fabric or lump of metal you tend to have around with you.
Going outside on a Friday 13th is just like going out on any other day.
Walking under ladders does nothing except you're now on the other side of the ladder.
Breaking a mirror just makes the mirror is broken. It's just a sheet of reflective glass.
Black cats are just like any cats. Maybe meeting one is bad for you if the cat is not particularly friendly with people, but that can apply to any cat.
There's no "karma". Things just happen as they happen. Doing something good earlier in the day doesn't affect any of the circumstances that give you something good afterwards, unless what you did was relevant to whatever you got. For example, you ate earlier today, and now you're not dead of starvation! What luck!

But then again, I guess due to a sort of placebo effect, having a "good luck" item with you could help you increase your confidence, which would make you better at whatever it is you're doing. That makes sense.
But I'll never genuinely believe in "good luck" items. So that placebo won't work on me.

Villerar
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Since people here have a rather diluted New Age view of karma, I'll fill you in with the basics: karma is a concept in Eastern (primarily Indian) religions that basically stands for the consequences of actions on the universe.

In Hinduism, it decides the vessel in which you incarnate. The soul (atman) remains the same.

In Buddhism, there are no immortal souls and it is more that one consciousness dies and gives birth to another. These two are not the same but share elements and karma decides the qualities of the new-born consciousness.

It also appears in classical Mediterranean civilisations, Greek examples are Orpheism in the eight and seventh century and Pythagoreanism from the sixth or fifth century on which influenced Ovid (he writes about it in his famous epic).

Of course it also existed in other cultures, but these are the fundamentals.

It's not a "do nice, get nice stuff" notion in the very direct sense.

FlamerX
May 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not an entirely superstitious person, but I do have some weird tendencies.

And I would agree with Karma if I didn't consistently notice bad people getting good things. :P

As for something a little bit weirder, considering I've never swore, I have a weird thought that if I ever do, I'll blow up the universe. It's probably just my crazy imagination, but I'm not going to risk it. :P

I'm afraid of mirrors at night too. Not because of bloody mary though, it,s freaking creepypasta that started the phobia