PDA

View Full Version : It's Only a Flesh Wound

Valor
March 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Not sure if there is a thread like this but, converse about injuries: broken bones, pain in the body or any surgery done to you in your life, what scar you are most proud of, and why. If you think your life is perfect, there something wrong with you then I guess you could say, “the closest I ever got to pain was this…” But I’m pretty sure everyone had some pain in their life.

You could answer with: How you did what you did, and maybe even, why you did what you did.

:P

Eruedraith
March 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Well, I was once sitting in front of my uncle's gas fireplace in the afternoon with a soda, just chilling out, and suddenly, this CD holder-case-thingy just started falling down towards me. Worst of all, I could just see it coming. Classic slo-mo horror sequence. It slams down on my chest, its edge making about an inch-long cut an inch or so to the upper left of my solar plexus. Blood dripping down my chest, pain, full nine yards. I think I'm the only one to have a scar from a CD case now.

charigaara
March 28th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ooh, pain~! Well, the current injury I have is a nice bruise on my left ear. It's right above the opening to the ear canal. It was really swollen on Saturday (when I got it), but that's gone down. Of course, when the swelling went down, the area turned a nice purple~ Now it's got a teensy bit of greenish yellow in there, too. How colorful~!

As for how I got it, I had a soccer tournament this past weekend. I play goalkeeper. In the first game on Saturday, a girl was coming in on a small breakaway, setting up for a shot. Naturally, I went out and dived on the ball. I missed slightly and the ball rolled away. I got the ball, but the girl kept kicking at me for a bit, trying to get at it. She hit me square in the ear. The cold didn't help soften the blow, either. Sadly, the referee didn't see her kick me, so no foul was called. We won the tournament, though, so it's like a battle wound~

Sniper
March 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I have plenty of smaller ones. Well, when I was little, I used to close the door a bit too hard. I accidentally smashed my middle finger with the door when I was saying bye to my dad goin' to work.
I was hit in the back of the head with a soccer ball twice. Kicked, not thrown.
One of those rubbery dodge-balls slammed against my face at my cousin's house.

The Good Wario
March 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I once had a concussion whule getting off a ski lift in New Hamshire. I caught my ski on the UNLOAD HERE sign, spun around and felt embarrsed. After that experience he went to the reaturaunt on the mountian, ate fondue, then went back to our hotel room.

so yea.

JSG
March 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Let me tell you a "touching" story~

So, I was bored in 2ng grade, playing around in recess with friends and what not. There is this little curb that separates the wood chip-floor playground from the grass. Well, I was playing around, jumping over them, but I guess my last jump wasn't too smart. I pretty much tripped over it, and fell. Oh, but the worst part, I fell on the wood chips. They hurt. Badly. Duh. They are freaking shark wood chips! Well, anyways, I fell face plant towards the ground, and it sting on my lips. Most of my impact centered there, the rest didn't really feel it much. Got up, and I was dripping blood from my lips, and I ran to the nurse's office.

It was painful, I got stitches on my lips from the cuts. It was painful walking around trying to eat a lunch while holding a cut up bloody lip with an ice pack and several girls and guys wanting to see it. Well, it healed up, but it hurt like crazy. Now my old elementary had no wood-chip floors after looking at my incident, 6 years later. :P

Ario
March 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I broke my arm once by accidentally stiff-arming a concrete wall... Not gunna do that again.
My uncle, however, does dumber things.
He thinks it's a good idea to run downhill.
He survived, but he did get some nasty cuts on himself. he was jogging the next day.

Valor
March 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Here is one of my stories of my injuries:

I was really bored after school one fine spring day, I was wearing shorts and I was walking around the school's campus, then I thought,"Hey there's a tree stump I should be able to jump over." After I jumped on it a few times, I thought about cutting my running distance by half, so I tried to jump on the stump with half the room I normally would.

I jumped and my right foot landed on the bark, then I pushed all my weight to the right side of my body so I could force my left leg over. then the bark collapsed under me, and it slice my right leg up. Then my left knee scraped against the tree, with all that pain at once, I used my knee to throw myself off the stump and made way to the bathrooms.

If I showed you a picture of my leg, you can see the difference pretty clearly.

Objection
March 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The worst I've had is when I was five and going to my mum's work, I tripped up in the car park and my hand landed on a piece of glass.

Manty
March 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Today I had to leave school because it turns out I have a pretty severe cyst on my back.

Let me put it this way: So much as nudging it with my shirt caused it to sting like a thousand angry bees, writhing inside my skin.

Benno™
March 29th, 2011, 04:34 AM
When I was 9 I was playing at the school playground after school, I was standing on a platform about half a meter up from the ground and there were these dangling monkey bar kind of things. So I jumped as high as I could but I ended up missing the bar and fell straight down with my left arm parallel to my body and I landed on my left side. I ended up breaking my wrist and it hurt like hell.

Zant
March 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Never had any serious injuries. Most serious one I remember was when I got stung by a wasp while I was reading and my left hand started to itch and I decided to scratch it... Hurts like hell, but after 15 minutes or so it was nothing but an oversized mosqito bite. For things I can't remember, well, I once smahed my head through a window. Somehow I didn't get a scratch. I did get a bit of a scratch when I slipped and landed with my face on the edge of a table. I have a fancy scar above my eye now. 1 inch lower and I would've been a cyclops.

My sister on the other hand. Oh boy. Not a year can pass or something happens with her weak foot. Once on holiday we went in one of those, what ya call it, fancy pools with palm trees and large slides and waves and currents and things like that. Anyway, she went in one of those things with currents and got slammed against a wall or something. Doesn't sound like fun, but I assume it was. It wasn't very funny when a dumb fat lady went right after my sister and slammed against her foot. 'Gee, I wonder why that kid I just bounced against is crying as if she broke something'.

SpinHammerFire
March 30th, 2011, 04:40 AM
About a year and a half ago, my friends and I went to the park near my house. There was a group of High School kids there doing some gym thing. I guess some of the kids there stirred up a swarm of bees. They chased my friends for a little while. Before I knew that there were bees, I saw my friend start shaking his hands in his hair, and he slid down a hill. My other 2 friends jumped over the little river that we were at. I didn't really know what to do, so I jumped over the river too and looked for my 2 friends. The bees started flying towards me, so I decided to move a little faster. When I was running, I turned awkwardly and popped a part of my knee. I couldn't walk on it without it buckling on me hard. I had to hop the rest of the way. I had to get surgery to walk normally again.

I didn't get stung once.

Now that I think about it...BAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Agent Gold
March 30th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Well... I have a story that I don't normally like to share, so I'll give you the "no details at all" version.

I once went through more pain in one sitting than I hope anyone else on this site ever has to in their lives. I was later told that it is, in fact, one of the most painful experiences a person can have. It was enough to have me vomiting (followed by dry heaves) just because of the pain. Then I wound up in surgery to fix the problem.

Needless to say, I can tolerate a lot of pain nowadays.

Crabmaster
March 30th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Ah, pain and getting hurt......I don't have much pain anymore but I get hurt a lot.......
Lots of sprains, at least one break, cuts, burns......you name it..... I also have plenty of genetic issues......

Permanent wise I have a lot of little cuts and burns on my hands from whittling, cooking, and other things.

I have a permanent burn mark about 2 in. x 1 in. on my arm. I got it from when I was baking a cake, and when I was getting it out the oven's spring loaded door came back up on my arm.....that was a bad day.....(Being the mark was originally 3-4 in. x 4-5 in. when this first happened)

I have this little mark on my leg almost at the foot from when I was getting my bike back on the side walk and I tripped. My my leg went right into the gear area.

I also have a little notch in my head from when I was a little kid, I was being a stubborn little boy that day and wanted to go outside......so I did, fell down 6 steps, and hit a rock head first.....I needed 3 stitches.....

And last but not least! (Last for now that is) I once stepped on a pencil that was sitting on the floor. It went strait up and put a small hole in my foot. It healed fine, but I never got that piece of led out.......

icbmdood
March 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The worst pain I ever had was appendicitis. My appendix almost erupted. Not fun.

Here' pics: Before Surgery: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=5ee4d15138&view=att&th=12f092f08d9de389&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw After Surgery: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=5ee4d15138&view=att&th=12f092f08d9de389&attid=0.2&disp=thd&zw
Nice Monty Python reference btw!

SwerveStar
March 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I've had a few issues, but the closest I've got to a real injury is probably falling on my head and ripping my scalp open.

Ah Monstah
April 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Despite the fact I am heavily clumsy, I somehow manage to dodge most injuries completely. But heres a funny tale: Disclaimer: the following tale may not actually be funny.
I managed to fracture my left wrist playing badminton, reaching for a clear and tripping over, somehow fracturing it.
Not too bad, I suppose, and healed up after having a cast on it for 4 weeks.
Cue 2 weeks later...
I go ice skating as a school trip, not too bad...
Until I slip. And fracturing my OTHER wrist.
YES.

Raptor
April 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I HAVE 2 STORIES
The one where I cracked my head open and the other why I got the scar over my eye!
Ok so both are kinda skechy **I was little when both happened* I was on a hay ride and we had stopped to get cameras and stuff so my cousin being a jerk pushed me off onto the asphault(spelling) and so my head cracked open.
The other is I got out of the house and whent running to my dad and then I slid in gravel and hit my head on the back of my dad's truck bumber.
and you all wonder why I'm insane or act that way

WaddleDee
April 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
One time I stubbed my toe so hard, it got all purple and gross.

That's the closest I have for an amusing injury.

Kameron
May 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
One time I was on a camping trip with the Boy Scouts (Hey, don't be hatin' just because I'm a nerdy Boy Scout.) and I was climbing this tree. It was a fairly large tree, about fifteen feet. Of course, being so clumsy, I fell. It hurt like the Nether. I was sitting there writhing in pain, but I literally could NOT get up even if I wanted to. Eventually (Meaning immediately) others rushed to my aid and helped me on my feet, but my back still hurt like someone took a sledgehammer to it for the rest of the day.

Not very graphic...How about my Dad's story instead? One time he was playing dodgeball. Now bend over and feel the back of your foot (Unless you already know what the Achilles tendon is) do you feel a boney kind of thing sticking out vertically, right under your ankles? Yeah, that bone ended up on the back of his leg a few inches above it's normal position. He was stuck in a cast and crutches for five months. (Well it would have been 2 and a half...But the doctors tore it again when they took the cast off...)

Just thought I would toss another person's painful experience in there.

bluesoul
May 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Got smacked in the teeth with a steel pole, which made my loose baby teeth fall out (i was about 6 i think).

YamiGekusu
May 5th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I got my finger bit hard by my hamster Olimar (R.I.P.) and it was literally dripping blood for almost half an hour. Made a mess in the bathroom sink when I was trying to clean it off. :(

MooseFondue
August 19th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Oh, hey, I knew we had a thread for this somewhere.

So the other day I got back from our annual trip to a local lake where we spend a couple days out on the boat, tubing and skating and stuff.
The trip was going well enough, I got up on skis several times and had some fun wipeouts on the tube. And then, on the morning before we went home, we went tubing one last time.
So my dad's friend was driving really fast, whipping the tube around, trying to fling us off as usual. After a particularly fast turn, I fell off the front, into the water, and the tube ran into my face. I surface with my nose streaming blood. It took a good half an hour or more for the bleeding to stop, and my nose is still slightly swollen.

Sniper
August 19th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure if it's good or not, but I've been having numerous small cuts, bruises and burns lately. They're not too big of a problem, but they're so frequent.

Burn on wrist from my lazy attitude over the rice cooker. Cut on knee from stupidly sharp roll-out metal desk corner. Bruise on leg from hitting ladder step while picking dates. Most stupid sounding is accidentally stabbing self with mechanical pencil on my wrist.

Rai
August 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I shot myself in the foot with a .22, have had my arm broken after being hit with a stool, broken the same arm almost 10 years later after I slipped on the ice and hit my arm in almost the exact same spot, have had a severe stomach virus, kicked in the happy sack more times than I care to remember, and I have really bad dandruff.

Mr. Redstone
August 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Oh, look! Another place for me to complain about my life!

I have a condition known as pleurisy (further description below), which causes a stabbing sensation in the lungs. Basically, sometimes it hurts to breathe.

Now for a past injury. I was horsing around with some of my friends one day and one of us had a BRILLIANT idea. We found several old inner tubes and inflated them. The idea was to stack these tubes around someone and pushing them over, causing them to bounce. The first few tries were successful (and hilarious, mind you), so I volunteered. As I'm standing in this column of inner tubes, my friends decide to push harder. The tube around my head comes off and my head smashes against the carpet-covered-concrete gym floor. I, miraculously, didn't get a concussion, but I fractured my skull. Go ahead, make all the "Well, that explains a lot" jokes you want.

Erygirl
August 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Oh hey, something that I can tell about my injuries I got before.
(Here's one story and if that's not a injury, then I'm real sorry about that.)
When I was young and at Grandma and Grandpa's home, he was doing something to the wasps outside and well, I did a stupid thing I shouldn't had done. I gone outside, got a nasty stung by the wasps on my left ear, and then from that day, my left ear looks like a elf ear sorta.

(Another story)
One day when I was in my parent's bedroom that also has a master bathroom, I closed the door that leads to the master bathroom and it slammed my pinkie toe when I try to close it fast by mistake. It started to bleed and it took maybe a couple of days to let it heal the pinkie toe and leave it alone at the same time.

Sven
August 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Erm... Let's see...
:omg: THE FOLLOWING MAY BE DISTURBING FOR SOME READERS. VIEWER'S DISCRETION ADVISED.
So, we were taking a vacation in Florida. I had had a stomach ache for the past few days. But, I thought nothing of it. But then, something bad happened. I started feeling nauseous and I had a bad sore throat. So the doctor said, "No harsh physical activity, and no crunchy and/or sharp foods, i.e. chips, brittle." Doable, hm? Well, that night we had a party at the pool that the hotel we stayed at had. I couldn't do anything TOO harsh, but I could still float and occasionally swim slowly. Well, some kids challenged me to a contest to who could swim the fastest. I could win $5.00. I asked my mom, she said yes, everything was go. I won. He didn't really have 5 bucks. -.- Well. Afterward, i had a celebratory piece of pizza. When I swallowed it, I felt a little clench feeling in my uvula. But it didn't really matter. SLEEP. I wake up with a huge stomach ache. I go the living room, and sit on the couch all morning watching Scooby-Doo. Then it came. :shyguy2: I RAN. I shouted to my mom that I was going to throw up. I ran into the bathroom but couldn't make it to the toilet, so i aimed for the sink. But barf didn't come. BLOOD CAME. I threw up blood. 3 pints. I was pale as a ghost. We rushed me to the hospital, and my tonsils were severely infected by a virus, and it was leaking... um... gross blood. So much of the blood leaked to my stomach so it all released. So, my tonsils were removed, I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks, and I had to take SICK medicine 2 times a day for a month. WHILE I WAS ON A VACATION. I'll tell you the other stories later.

Kasswill
August 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Here is one thing that happened to me,
I was in my basement watching TV with my dad, we were watching something that bored me, so I asked if I could have the remote, he said no, later, he decided to give me the remote, but, I did not expect it, so he tossed it to me, but I missed and it hit me in the tooth, chipping it, I was crying and said, "You broke my tooth", he looked and saw that he did, so I ran upstairs to my mom's room and said, "Dad broke my tooth", than my dad ran in and said, "I was an accident", this was also the day before I was suppost to get braces, but there is one positive, I got to miss school the next day.

For people who do not want to read this whole story, here is the footnote version, I lost one-forth of a tooth.

cyanide_
August 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
expected monty python, was disappointed

(i've only ever had flesh wounds at worst)

littlemac
September 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I once got my head caught under a merry go round. It stayed under there for about 30 seconds before it was removed. I had to get stitches after that. At least, that what everyone tells me. I was just a little kid at the time, so I don't remember it.

dancnbna
September 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
This morning, I was laying in bed trying to sleep, and I stretched my legs.

I'm pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my left leg. Oh geez did that hurt.

Now I'm a little limpy.

sevenstitch
September 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I've got a scar that goes across the bridge of my nose. It's actually the reason behind
my screen-name. When I was a toddler, I stepped on our dog's nether-regions, and he
retaliated by biting my nose off. Well, not completely off, It kinda hung there until they
stitched it back on. Seven Stitches. THE MORE YOU KNOW.

DreamlandDreamer
September 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I remember one time when I was younger, and my brother kicked out two of my teeth. Ah, sibling love.

On another note, I have a scar on my right knee that I got in Year 1. It's now ten years later and it's still there. Oh, and has anyone else ever had to have three injections in the mouth, and then three months later three in the toe? wow, three's a popular number

Valor
November 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I was taking out our trash cans, because it is a chore. So I take them 50 yards to the end of my gravel road, and I think about running back to my house for swim conditioning. (To build stamina for short bursts.) I start a full sprint and make it 10 feet to my house and I trip on a giant rock in our driveway, and I start falling upon the gravel road. I made a split second decision to break my fall with the palm of my hand and I end up cutting myself pretty nasty like.

Homesick
November 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ok let's see I've broken some fingers that's about it. But I've also dislocated my right shoulder twice. Mostly from playing football in the front yard though.
I was tackled really hard the one time and slammed my shoulder down and it popped out. Then the second time, I jumped up to grab a ball came back down, slipped, and slammed it down again.

Madmachine
November 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I was in 1st grade... during recess a buddy of mine was running around, and wham. Ran right into me. On pavement.

Six stitches in a horizontal line above my left eyebrow. The scar's still there.

I remember the guy who ran into me (who would develop a pronounced Rhotacism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotacism) whenever he got excited) saying "It was howwible! There was blood ewwywheh! All I got was an egg-goose!"

RLYoshi
November 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I ended up getting a huge bruise on my arm when I tripped over a stack of Wii games and landed with my left arm on a bench. I am likely one of the few people to get hurt by a video game without even playing it.

In contrast, about a dozen times I have dropped a steak knife (or some other sharp object, usually a knife) and it fell at the perfect angle to either barely miss my foot or land on its handle rather than the blade, avoiding getting cut. Apparently I stole my feet from a rabbit. See if you can get that joke

Also, though it didn't really leave a lasting mark, I did end up throwing a Wii Remote at a wall and have it bounce back and hit me in the back of the head. True cartoon moment right there. (The remote was in a rubber jacket, which is why it actually bounced, and I threw rather hard and wasn't too far away from the wall, so it's not like the wall was secretly a slingshot or something.)

bghvgjdh
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I think my favorite injury has to be from back in... 5th grade, I think? I was in gym class playing Hit the Pin (picture bowling crossed with dodgeball), and my team had just lost. Out of celebration, someone on the other team decided to kick one of the plastic bowling pins. Right into my face. Knocked my tooth clean in half, had to get it replaced with a false cap. To date that's my only real "unique" injury. Teeth knocked out by a bowling pin, that's me.

I also broke the growth plate in both of my wrists, in two separate incedents about a year apart. As a result, one of my arms is permanently longer than the other. The second time actually helped me more than anything, though; it was in freshman gym class, and we were playing basketball. Tried to pick a guy, but he was literally twice my weight and just as tall as me so I went sliding and broke my wrist. However, I kept playing past the pain and it impressed my gym teacher so much he gave me a 6 for the year. Go figure, I saved my GPA by breaking my wrist.

Sniper
November 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
A month ago I tripped in school and scraped my right knee pretty badly. Took a few weeks to scab over and heal. And guess what! I fell AGAIN, on the same spot I got injured last time and more, which was even worse because the blood trickled down my leg. Glad it didn't stain my white sock, but still...

And where I fell was the same fricken' spot I fell last time. This same knee is also the one which I always fell/hit something with. My left knee has been perfectly fine, save for a little cut. I've also noticed a pattern. I get little cuts and bruises, then my abrasion from earlier, which now worsened with today. So it's like it's building up to a big injury. One day I'm inevitably going to break my right leg at this rate.

Homesick
November 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I remember when I was about 8 we used to have this fence out by the corner of our driveway. I used to try to climb this one spot all the time for some reason.
One day it got knocked over, and when that happened it exposed a real sharp piece of metal. I didn't know about this, because it wasn't very noticeable. So I went out and had to try to climb it again, but this time I actually did it! But I decided it might be fun to slide down the part I just climbed. I slid down and sliced my stomach pretty bad on that piece of metal.

It took a few weeks for it to be healed up and everything, and it was pretty tender a few days after it happened. Needless to say, I didn't try to climb that fence again after that day.

bluesoul
November 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Probably the worst injury I had was while playing around on this tire/pole/tether thing, I bash my lips across the iron pole. I knock out a couple of teeth and, being the stupid 4 year old I was, ran up to my mom and dad going "look, is the tooth fairy going to give me lots of money now?"

Hobo
November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I once tripped on my shoelaces while running across fresh laid tarmac in the middle of summer and face planted, going full sprint. Couldn't even get my hands up.

Oddly enough, I didn't hit my nose, forehead, or anything. I broke my fall with the skin between my nose and my top lip... somehow.

Also one time I sprained an ankle. Those are the worst injuries I've experienced in my life because I'm not exciting. D :

Homesick
November 15th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I once tripped on my shoelaces while running across fresh laid tarmac in the middle of summer and face planted, going full sprint. Couldn't even get my hands up.

Oddly enough, I didn't hit my nose, forehead, or anything. I broke my fall with the skin between my nose and my top lip... somehow.

Also one time I sprained an ankle. Those are the worst injuries I've experienced in my life because I'm not exciting. D :

Not exciting, or just careful? Because I've never done anything that I had to go to the ER for. No major broken bones, or needing stitches or anything.

Hobo
November 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Being exciting is very hard to do if you're careful. It's easier to just do one or the other, I figure. I go with careful, hence why my friends call me the "Voice of Reason".

littlemac
November 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
One time, when I was just a little kid, I got my head stuck under a merry go round. It was stuck under there for about a minute before my mom was able to get me out. I had to get stitches, and I wasn't alowed in the park by myself until I became around 13. I don't personally remember the event, as I was just a little kid, but my parents said that it happened, so I'm gonna take their word for it.

YamiGekusu
November 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I sprained my foot a few days ago when I was in the kitchen getting my nephew some milk for his sippy cup. Slipped, sprained my foot, and landed on the floor pretty hard. (There's a big-ass bruise on my elbow :( )

Hobo
November 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I tried to pick up my cat to bring him to safety (away from my puppy), and he clawed me. Now, that wouldn't be too bad, but he got me DIRECTLY down my wrists, on both of them, and today my English teacher saw it and took me aside to ask if I'd been cutting myself.

So, I'm never helping that cat again. Jerk.