PDA

View Full Version : What kind of RP do you want to see in the Arena?

Ruane
February 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Basically, this is a thread to talk about what type of RPs you would like to participate in. Most of BitF’s RPs have a habit of dying after the first couple pages or just after the first post. In order to create active RPs, the future RP authors should know what type of scenarios people would like to write about.

This topic will gauge the interests of BitF’s RP contributors or future contributors. Please be serious about whether or not you would join an RP idea discussed here.

SuperGanondorf
February 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Personally, I prefer RPs set in a classic fantasy world, with magic and swords and whatnot. Those always seem to be the ones to last the longest- more realistic ones don't ever seem to last long. That and the fact that there are often so many restrictions, like things you can do and can't do. The games that are based on game series and whatnot also don't tend to last, because a) it automatically diminishes the audience because not everyone will be very familiar with the series, and b) activities and such are restricted due to canon and story reasons. No, I prefer an original classic fantasy game that also allows pretty freeform play.
For instance, take the RP I started a while back on Ace Attorney Online, Endless Time (http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4267). Yeah, it's story-driven, and yes, it's a medieval-style fantasy, but freeform gameplay is allowed. Hell, one character even has a spaceship. In medieval times. Not at all realistic, but hey, it's active and fun. My ideal RP is one that is story-driven, set in some sort of medieval-type world, contains magic, but also allows freeform gameplay (though not to the point that it just derails the game).

Dynawing
February 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
This topic interests me.

It's a little unfortunate how things go. People would tend to flock to things based on Nintendo or ridiculous crossovers. I think people should be a bit more willing to try other things. I mean sure you can just not be interested but I have this feeling a lot of ideas are just combed over.

In fact I'm just concerned people aren't that interested with the Arena in general. I have an idea i wqnt to post but I am worried people just won't look. Come on people try it activity is nice and RPs can be fun :V

As for the question I'm mostly interested in unique, created worlds. Things like some Crossover or fanfic-like thing interest me sometimes but generally less. I have the feeling this is a minority.

Curus
February 22nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hm, I suppose it is almost my duty to post here. Mehehe!

Anyway, like Dyna I prefer original stuff. Deeper than that...well, I prefer stuff where there's more room for creation. The mostly human, or the mostly straightforward, it's fair enough but I'd rather monsters and crazy, complicated plots. That's just me, though. Y'know.

PokeMarioGuy
February 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
I, personally, am game for just about anything.
But something that I've noticed is that if it is an original idea with original locations, etc then the thing'll either die before it starts or die after a day or two with the two or three people who actually posted there leaving with disapointment.
And even these video game themed ones die relatively quickly, and they're the ones that people jump on the chance to play.
Honestly I'm kind of suprised not to see people going with the original RPs. People are always talking about OCs and what not. Hell we'vegot like two different threads on them. Why not show off those characters or something?

Ark
February 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
What I really want is a simple RP, with a definite end. From what I've seen, most RPs take place in a large, expansive universe and as such, never reach their end. Heck, why not have some RP about escaping a manor filled with zombies (I totally didn't steal this from Resident Evil)? It's simple, but can have well thought out plot points and a definite end.

I'm also very wary of RPs that take place in the world of a video game. I don't need to see a board filled with Smash crossovers or some Fire Emblem RP that is only Fire Emblem in name only. There are very well done RPs such as the Pokemon ones (wish I was placed in a more active one though :P) and the two new Final Fantasy RPs seem to show some merit.

And as for my tastes in what genre the RP should be, well I care for fantasy RPs but that doesn't mean that I won't go off and try something out of my norm.

MooseFondue
February 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
This thread seems like it could supposedly be helpful.

So, for me personally, I don't like RPs based on video games and other existing subjects. It has never struck as appealing to RP within the confines of something like Pokemon and Final Fantasy. Well, actually, I know jack squat about Final Fantasy, so I wouldn't join one anyways.

Another dislike of mine is ones limited to human characters. I don't object as much towards these, in fact I've joined a few, but I prefer RPs with more character freedom, as Curus said.

Besides that, I don't have much preference. I'm fine with both character-driven and story-driven. At this point, I'd just like it if RPs would stop dying all over the place.

SSJ Ranulf
February 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
(I hope this is what you where asking, and is relevant. I've been thinking about this a bit before, and I hope this is the appropriate topic).

Now I'm no great thing when it comes to RP's, but I've had some experience before. And well I might be interested in starting one that is made to last someday, I don't think I'd want to put the effort into it right now.

The major reasons why I wouldn't want to make one right now are fairly simple:

1) I'd rather make and RPG (Role-playing game) then an RP (Role-Play). The difference being that an RPG has structure and detailed rules. Well some might be pretty rules light (it only takes about 2-5 minutes to understand the rules), I find they are the only thing that makes most RP's enjoyable for any amount of time. These rules give people some idea of where they stand compared to others, stop them from complaining about hax or favoritism ("The rules say that with a strength of 15, you will deal less damage in hand to hand combat then your ally with 20 strength" sort of thing). Without rules, the game is totally random and very hard to manage and keep track of.

2) I would only want to be in a game with strong Gamer Master elements. The Game Master is the leader of the RP/RPG, and sets the pace and tone of the game. They describe all (or at least all the major) characters who aren't players, and have the final say on anything. They typically don't make their own character, but instead focus on the villains, allies, and story around the other players. In a game without a skilled and positive Game Master who has clear, strong authority, it is VERY difficult to keep things running and get things done. If you have someone with clear control over the story presenting a major event/saga every other week, it's much easier to have a sustainable game.

3) I'm not a big fan of the current rules. Well I understand the limit on 100 words per post, what if only a small post is needed to further the game? For example, someone asks me about what the castle wall looks like, and I say "The wall is a great stone thing, with several dozen men manning it. It has large towers on it, although some seem to be destroyed." That's not 100 words, but that might be all that is needed to keep the game moving and keep activity up at that time.

I also have some problem with the other rules: maybe, in my game, your introduction isn't the single most important post you make. Is it violating the rules for me to tell people to only do a decent intro, and save their energy/imagination for a post after 2-3 hours of game-play?

A game with a Game Master seems to be breaking the railroading rule out right, which I don't like. I could make a fun game that people would like (I am 100% positive of this fact), but I need to have a lot of power/rules control in order to due that. If the arena's rules stop me from having that control, then I can't make a good thread/RP. Rule 5 (don't affect others backgrounds) also hurts the control a game master can have and might need.

I also don't enjoy the rules sections comments of format/action vs. Dialogue. Well I am ALL FOR improving others as writers and RPer's, I don't feel that people should not be allowed to play just because they don't post in the greatest style mankind has ever seen. If I can understand their posts and they have decent content, I want them to be able to play my game: I don't care if they do it in 3rd or 1st person, or with a script format or can't do dialogue or actions perfectly. Once more, if I understand them and they have nice content, I want them in my game.

(I am NOT attacking those who made the rules or their decisions: I praise them for bringing some structure. I just have some genuine concerns with them and things about them that make the idea of me making an RP/RPG sketchy.)

4) The way they are approved has also kept me from thinking about it to much. I am not going to spend 5 or 6 hours to make the game (which is, for certain, the minimum I would spend) unless I know for sure it's going to have a chance to see sunlight. This means I would first want to make a recruitment thread (where I would test interest and see if I think I can get about how many players I want for that game), then I'd make the game (detail the world, lay out plans for the saga/story arc, find some major ways the characters can impact everything, build the game system and rules, make characters for them to interact with, ect.). But when I think that a Lord might say "It's to complex, tone it down.", I'm not going to make the game. It is too much work for something that might be totally controlled by if one person is having a bad day that day.

Personally, I think it would be best to let people create whatever kind of games they want (which I freely admit would lead to a stream of low quality ones) and let the RPer's of the site pick which ones they want. If you want more positive activity on the arena, then you WILL have a little more negative activity. And in my opinion, +300% positive activity is worth +50% negative activity.

If these conditions where changed/my concerns dealt with, I would be willing to make an RP/RPG for the arena (although I do not promise anything within a month or two: senior year is busy).

As for genre: I'd be willing to make a game of almost any kind. I would prefer an anime based game, a fantasy game, a modern magic (or Urban Arcana) style game, a comic book or superhero styled game, or a science fiction game in the same realm as Star Wars. Whatever game I created would be originally generated (although I would base my world on my favorite series in those genres) and I would take time to look over everything and make sure my players can understand it.

I hope the above doesn't offend anyone and doesn't seem like a stupid rant. I just had some ideas and concerns that I wanted to voice, and this seemed like the place to do it. If I did offend anyone, then I am honestly sorry for whatever I might have said.

AuraKnight
February 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
I, personally, am game for just about anything.
But something that I've noticed is that if it is an original idea with original locations, etc then the thing'll either die before it starts or die after a day or two with the two or three people who actually posted there leaving with disapointment.
And even these video game themed ones die relatively quickly, and they're the ones that people jump on the chance to play.
Honestly I'm kind of suprised not to see people going with the original RPs. People are always talking about OCs and what not. Hell we'vegot like two different threads on them. Why not show off those characters or something?

Because that's pretty much all LPTW's used for these days.

I don't mind original stuff at all, after all the more creativity, the better. Although I'm not on the whole 'hate train' when it comes to video game RPs. Some games *cough*pokemon*cough* work well as a RP imo, and crossovers can and have worked on this forums (I think the main example, Dimension Clash, is the second-longest constant RP the forum's ever had, only beaten by HP Bar/BitF City)

I'd like to see an RP which encourages player interaction. While it's difficult to carry out a conversation with a minimum of 100 words, it's not impossible by any means, but it is a deterrent. The current Pokemon games showed signs of this.

Another thing that has infallibly worked is actually being pokemon. IIRC, we've had three, two of which got wiped while being fairly active, while another was killed. It should be noted that the dead one had humans in it, and Kirb actually had to ask people to be humans, so that's obviously got charms to us.

I think we should look at the RPs we currently have, and see what has worked (such as the already-mentioned Pokemon), and what hasn't and most importantly why. (lack of interest from GM/players/both and good RPs with bad execution both immediately come to mind.)

Curus
February 22nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
It is too much work for something that might be totally controlled by if one person is having a bad day that day.

The rest of your post is for someone less tired and more knowledgeable to go through for now, although I must say I find myself agreeing with some of your points (more than I probably should, in a way...hmhmhm).

I can tell you though that if I am having a bad day, or am sleepy, or drunk, or in any way not at full and decent lucidity I will not dis/approve RPs. That would be silly.

EDIT: Oh, while I'm here, I suppose it would be pertinent to explain why The Gate died.

To be honest? I killed it. I take full responsibility, barring some strange circumstance I'm not going back to it.
For one, it started out as an attempt to retain some of the things that had made Bitf City popular, without running into the same...problems. Unfortuntely, with the new rules? That's hard. I know there's been a few other attempts, and mostly things haven't even made it to the Approvals Thread. It became it's own thing, and I didn't mind, but it probably made it less popular than I or the potential audience intended.
And, of course, I had no prior experience with running an RP. I'm a writer, a storyteller, but I ain't no GM. I stumbled a lot. Things got slow.
Speaking of my writing, as I mentioned up there, I like complex stuff. I wasn't sure how well people were taking my clues, and I got bogged down with wondering if I should take the plot where I intended.
Either way, I did learn from the experience. I might make another RP - however, don't get your hopes up. I'm quite set on foraying into CYOAs at the moment. But anything could happen!

Ario
February 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
I prefer to see fantasy RPs where you get weapons and stuff, but without upgrades. I think my preferred 'era' for it to be set in is the steampunk era, or an era like FMA since my main OC for RPs is an alchemist.. I'd rather have it not necessarily story driven, but I do like having missions to go through that can advance the story. I like pokemon RPs too, but not as much as the one mentioned before.

SSJ Ranulf
February 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
I can tell you though that if I am having a bad day, or am sleepy, or drunk, or in any way not at full and decent lucidity I will not dis/approve RPs. That would be silly.

Congratulations: you are better than many other people I've met. But I just don't want to put out hours and hours of work on something a less kind/noble person might just shoot down. On previous forums I've been on, I know FOR SURE that if we'd had approval like there is here, then so many ideas would have been shot down by the moderates. Maybe some of the ideas deserved it, and maybe some of the ideas where just fine and the mods would have been letting there own bias (I.E., "Hm... I don't like Fantasy, so I'm going to say no to it, even if it is create and fun) close them; but I don't think the benefits out-weight the negatives. I think it's only fair to give everything a chance and let the players decide what should live and what should die.

I also think it would be best to remove the approval thread, and replace it with a help thread. That's what, in my very humble opinion, the Lord's should be doing: helping people make there games as good as they can be and giving advice on how to do so.

AuraKnight
February 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
*best post 69 ever*

...definitely an interesting thing to consider. Seeing as the Arena was created for mostly group-RPs, that's what the rules were based on imo? May want to check with the Lords on that, but I don't think they were considered with GMs in mind...perhaps some edition may be necessary? After all, they are different from normal players, and generally abide by different rules.

Guy
February 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I have three major preferences:

(1) I greatly prefer a role-play that centers around a GM and a small group of player-characters, in that sense using the basic dungeons-and-dragons mechanic. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one who's ever (successfully) pulled that off on BitF. I even tried to more or less force others into a GM position with the Pokemon [Type] RPs, and that anyone can see how that went horribly, horribly wrong.

(2) I abhor role-plays that have more than perhaps one plot point "planned" ahead in advance. Role-plays are not novels. Things will never go according to scheme, especially if the role-play doesn't follow the GM-style I mentioned in my first point. Trying to force plot points really just hampers down on creative freedoms in an unnecessary way, and in extremes can make it feel like a character is reading from some re-defined script rather than acting as him-or-herself.

(3) I generally prefer RPs that take place in a familiar fantasy universe. When it's completely original, it seems in some ways that the RP creator has this work of art and I might end up tampering with it in the wrong way. This is especially true in RPs which don't have enough detail to give me a firm grasp on the world, yet also don't have so little that I wouldn't be worried with tampering a bit. (Unfortunately, most original RPs on BitF fall into this threshold for me.) With that said, I generally find it annoying if something is adhering strictly to canon. I suppose an ideal example would have a role-play take place in "Hyrule." There have been many iterations of Hyrule, but they have all been similar in certain ways. This Hyrule no doubt has different races, unexplored dungeons, and likely Hyrule Castle or Death Mountain other notable landmarks in the vicinity. This creates for the role-players a familiar world that they all in a sense know, yet it doesn't have any strict limitations unless the role-players create such limitations. I personally find a balance between familiarity and originality, like this, to be ideal for role-playing.

Any role-play which met two, let alone all three of those conditions would certainly have me wanting to join it.

Curus
February 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Congratulations: you are better than many other people I've met. But I just don't want to put out hours and hours of work on something a less kind/noble person might just shoot down. On previous forums I've been on, I know FOR SURE that if we'd had approval like there is here, then so many ideas would have been shot down by the moderates. Maybe some of the ideas deserved it, and maybe some of the ideas where just fine and the mods would have been letting there own bias (I.E., "Hm... I don't like Fantasy, so I'm going to say no to it, even if it is create and fun) close them; but I don't think the benefits out-weight the negatives. I think it's only fair to give everything a chance and let the players decide what should live and what should die.

I also think it would be best to remove the approval thread, and replace it with a help thread. That's what, in my very humble opinion, the Lord's should be doing: helping people make there games as good as they can be and giving advice on how to do so.

I can assure you, we have a better breed of authority here. And I, at least, I'm always open to help people with their works.

...definitely an interesting thing to consider. Seeing as the Arena was created for mostly group-RPs, that's what the rules were based on imo? May want to check with the Lords on that, but I don't think they were considered with GMs in mind...perhaps some edition may be necessary? After all, they are different from normal players, and generally abide by different rules.

Heheheh, I dare declare it and its rules were mostly for keeping old civilisation down, 'till old Madame Cree Baccy had to put 'er down. *arrogance quota OVERFLOWAN* So maybe we could welcome change.

slashty
February 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
(2) I abhor role-plays that have more than perhaps one plot point "planned" ahead in advance. Role-plays are not novels. Things will never go according to scheme, especially if the role-play doesn't follow the GM-style I mentioned in my first point. Trying to force plot points really just hampers down on creative freedoms in an unnecessary way, and in extremes can make it feel like a character is reading from some re-defined script rather than acting as him-or-herself.

(3) I generally prefer RPs that take place in a familiar fantasy universe. When it's completely original, it seems in some ways that the RP creator has this work of art and I might end up tampering with it in the wrong way. This is especially true in RPs which don't have enough detail to give me a firm grasp on the world, yet also don't have so little that I wouldn't be worried with tampering a bit. (Unfortunately, most original RPs on BitF fall into this threshold for me.) With that said, I generally find it annoying if something is adhering strictly to canon. I suppose an ideal example would have a role-play take place in "Hyrule." There have been many iterations of Hyrule, but they have all been similar in certain ways. This Hyrule no doubt has different races, unexplored dungeons, and likely Hyrule Castle or Death Mountain other notable landmarks in the vicinity. This creates for the role-players a familiar world that they all in a sense know, yet it doesn't have any strict limitations unless the role-players create such limitations. I personally find a balance between familiarity and originality, like this, to be ideal for role-playing.

I don't really agree with either of these.
As for the first, I am most definitely not a fan of "see where it goes" sort of things. When I run something, I do not want to see it go nowhere, which it will. Everyone will try to make things take a different direction, and some will do nothing. I've seen people who do nothing to advance the plot. They just sit around and develop their character, despite having already defined every aspect in their first post. A good GM can keep things running according to plan if they take measures. For example, one could kill off characters that don't go with the plan, as I will take great joy in doing with Beyond the Scarlet. Regardless, I can't write characters. I use RPs as a way to express my ideas and concepts, while allowing those that can and will write characters fill in those blanks.
Towards the latter, it is simply a personal peeve of mine. I don't enjoy creating my own things from another's ideas. I prefer to make my own.

Alfalfa
February 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
I used to think I'd be game with any sort of RP, unoriginal or otherwise, though lately I find my preferences changing as I think of more unique characters and settings. The latter I don't have much difficulty with; you could stick me in a space opera or a trek through hell and I'll find some way to adapt.

What I really want to see more of are simple RPGs. That's not to say I don't like big honking RPGs with huge worlds and an even bigger storyline, those are fine. On a smaller scale RP, though, I feel as if it's less pressuring than a complex one, and gives me more ample time to interact with my characters while still enjoying the RP as a whole.

Manty
February 22nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
All I really like to see in a RP is some originality. Most of the RPs here are either Pokemon or fantasy-themed, I mean....I used to do BitF City back when that was still around, but that turned into a generic &&&&fest and I got bored of it. I also agree with Moose/Curus about character freedom.

Dynawing
February 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I think your proposition is very interesting indeed Mr. Ranulf. In fact I quite like it, but the main problem I see is that some people just won't be going to the "help" thread at all, and people can just run in and make many RPs whether they're thought out or not. I'm sorry to say that some of the ideas that don't get approved really just shouldn't, but I'm not pointing out nor can I actually think of specifics.

Whatever happens we're still going to need some kind of quality guideline or somesuch so that the job we have isn't rendered moot. I mean, I agree with players deciding what lives and what dies, but the things that would get the most content if things were more free would make this place end up an unorganized mess with posts like in Lololo. The Arena's tailored to a more specific, cleaner, and "serious" sort of RP(G). Overhauling the rules could change some things and I'd really rather not see the place in chaos. If rules grow too lax then that's exactly what would happen and things would get stupid. I'm not sure how to word it; I'm all for people having fun but there are times an idea/RP just gets or is bad and shouldn't be around, but I'm not sure how I can give justification for removing it. I can't even give a good reason here, it seems. The Arena still needs to be kept as what it is, there needs to be some kind of quality.

I think an RP with a sort of "GM" works just fine and I think it's still a pretty favorable way of making things work. The Arena does seem a bit tailored to a more specific kind of roleplay so changing rules a bit might make the place seem a bit more free than it appears.

And as for the whole "3rd/1st person, script/prose format" thing I think that's in place because in general when people post in a weird way such as script it's just terrible. Good script is completely possible but it can clash with the rest of the RP and I'm saying that in general most people who would be posting in script tend to be just bad writers. When I think of RPs I don't think of script format at all. It just... doesn't belong in this kind of thing and place.

I do think some of the rules could perhaps be changed. I'm fine with making the place a bit more open. I just want it to be done in a way that keeps this place clean and what it actually is, a grounds for... serious writing or something. Not a place for chaos and dumb games.

Alright alright I'm sorry I have no idea what I'm typing right now I need to lie down.

SSJ Ranulf
February 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think your proposition is very interesting indeed Mr. Ranulf. In fact I quite like it, but the main problem I see is that some people just won't be going to the "help" thread at all, and people can just run in and make many RPs whether they're thought out or not. I'm sorry to say that some of the ideas that don't get approved really just shouldn't, but I'm not pointing out nor can I actually think of specifics.

Whatever happens we're still going to need some kind of quality guideline or somesuch so that the job we have isn't rendered moot. I mean, I agree with players deciding what lives and what dies, but the things that would get the most content if things were more free would make this place end up an unorganized mess with posts like in Lololo. The Arena's tailored to a more specific, cleaner, and "serious" sort of RP(G). Overhauling the rules could change some things and I'd really rather not see the place in chaos. If rules grow too lax then that's exactly what would happen and things would get stupid. I'm not sure how to word it; I'm all for people having fun but there are times an idea/RP just gets or is bad and shouldn't be around, but I'm not sure how I can give justification for removing it. I can't even give a good reason here, it seems. The Arena still needs to be kept as what it is, there needs to be some kind of quality.

I think an RP with a sort of "GM" works just fine and I think it's still a pretty favorable way of making things work. The Arena does seem a bit tailored to a more specific kind of roleplay so changing rules a bit might make the place seem a bit more free than it appears.

And as for the whole "3rd/1st person, script/prose format" thing I think that's in place because in general when people post in a weird way such as script it's just terrible. Good script is completely possible but it can clash with the rest of the RP and I'm saying that in general most people who would be posting in script tend to be just bad writers. When I think of RPs I don't think of script format at all. It just... doesn't belong in this kind of thing and place.

I do think some of the rules could perhaps be changed. I'm fine with making the place a bit more open. I just want it to be done in a way that keeps this place clean and what it actually is, a grounds for... serious writing or something. Not a place for chaos and dumb games.

Alright alright I'm sorry I have no idea what I'm typing right now I need to lie down.

Why was what I bolded not outright stated in the beginning of the rules (if it was, I'm really stupid AND sorry)? You should also tell people who want spam type RPs to make them in Lololo or Off-Topic or something and let the Mods over there deal with it. That way, people would still have a place to make those kinds of games if they wanted to.

Can we all agree that some changes are needed? That seems to be reasonable. I think the most important things to look at would be:

1) The rules about Game Masters should be clarified/included.

2) Rules about word limits should be considered (again, it might only take 20 words for dialogue to be dramatic, and anything else might ruing the effect your going for; or it might only take 50 words of description to keep the story moving).

3) Rules about what RPs to let in should be allowed and not be allowed might need some consideration (again, it would SUCK to put in hours of work to be said no to due to complexity or to have a great idea and just have a mod say "No, your idea sucks, here is some generic stuff I can say about it"). I honestly don't know what would be a problem right now and what isn't, but it deserves consideration.

I also understand your points about how certain writing styles just don't flow, and I agree personally. Still, that should be left up to each game; maybe the only way to get, say, 10 players is to allow some of them to type in the way they are most comfortable. IDK, it just seems logical to me.

flibbyjibbits
February 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
At this moment I am too busy to respond much but as soon as this thing clears up i can say what I was going to but what I can say now is that if it looks like more than 15 minutes of effort is there it goes through.

ThatFellow
February 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]What I really want is a simple RP, with a definite end. From what I've seen, most RPs take place in a large, expansive universe and as such, never reach their end. Heck, why not have some RP about escaping a manor filled with zombies (I totally didn't steal this from Resident Evil)? It's simple, but can have well thought out plot points and a definite end.

I personally want something like this, my main problem with Dimension Clash back when it was alive was that it went on for far, far too long. Honestly that's probably why it died. People do eventually lose interest if nothing big happens, so personally I like it when an RP does have some sort of goal to meet, whether it be a big finale or some victory conditions. Plus it helps if there aren't several characters trying to achieve similar goals, if not the same goals, as in Dimension Clash (if I recall correctly quite a few people were trying to get the Chaos Emeralds. And the Sol Emeralds at one point. Including me I think so I'm not exempt or anything :P)

Some short RPs could really liven the place up, I might actually write one up myself later.

Oh and referring back to the big ol' RPG post, you may want to consider how many people would be willing to put the effort into that sort of thing, both the people who would be GMs and those participating in it.
Personally I see Dungeons and Dragons and those types of things as more of a social, get-together sort of dealie, so I think it'd be hard to translate it to a message board. Without it being incredibly slow, anyway, because of time zone differences and all that.
But yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that we haven't really tried it yet.

Captain Panda
February 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
OK, i have read a lot of this, and i may have come up with something

If we do abolish the 3 lord's approval thing, then that could lead to some chaos. But what if we had a sub-forum for new RPs, and anyone can join them and do whatever, and if the lords see potential in an RP, then they can move the thread into the main board. This means that the good ones will be recognised and easy to access, while the not so good ones and the new RPs can be in the sub board and can be left to their own devices.

To be perfectly honest, i have no preference over what RP i join, but i target those with similar writing styles to what i can produce.

Does anybody remember Warpy's RP Everlands? Man that was brilliant. You could be whatever your heart desired, it had an excellent setting, and he was a pretty good GM to boot. It even allowed you to have a superpowered form of yourself. What seemed to kill it off though, was a bad RPer. I'm not pointing any fingers, mainly because the person i would point to has left many eons ago, so what i feel the RP needed was a way off killing of the player, which theoretically seemed impossible since resurrection was part of the gameplay.

And then i remember my own little RP, ADVENTURE!!! . It was set 70 years after HP bar Neo, and really, what happened to that was that since it was in Lololo (Arena wasn't around), as hard as i tried to make it good, it was in Lololo. 'Nuff said. That also extended to the fact that since i'm British, i sleep around evening for Americans, and so next morning, i got up, checked the RP and 30 pages of one liners mysteriously appeared. This is why i support the 100 word rule.

All in all, RPs are like fruit. You need the right amount of fertilizer to make it grow, and you need to pick it when it's ripest. However that's all pointless if the fruit tastes like &&&&.

Eruedraith
February 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
I'm going to agree with Ark and Fellow: Shorter-term RPs aren't necessarily bad things, in fact they're great, especially when you have an RPing forum like ours that doesn't have as much of a community as others do. You don't need some sort of long-reaching quest of significance while you go and search for the High Macguffins. Nice, short-term things are cool as well - heck, why not even do a simple 'save the princess' RP? With complications Simple storyline, easy-to-understand.

I prefer original stuff. Period. Sure, I'll play with fan-RPs occasionally, just not as much with originally-built RPs. If someone puts the time and effort into building a well-thought-out world for this RP, then it's usually also a good indicator of how serious that they are about modding the whole thing as well.

MooseFondue
February 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
I love Captain Panda's fruit analogy. But that besides the point.

Anyways, this may be getting slightly off topic, but I think that I may have a suggestion for the Arena. What if we were to have a subforum in which people could pitch their ideas and get criticism or suggestions from other users? The Lords usually provide some level of feedback, but this would allow for a wider spectrum of people to evaluate the idea. Once the creator deems it ready, he could submit it to the RP approval thread.

Just a thought.

Curus
February 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sounds interestin' to me.

Ruane
February 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I love Captain Panda's fruit analogy. But that besides the point.

Anyways, this may be getting slightly off topic, but I think that I may have a suggestion for the Arena. What if we were to have a subforum in which people could pitch their ideas and get criticism or suggestions from other users? The Lords usually provide some level of feedback, but this would allow for a wider spectrum of people to evaluate the idea. Once the creator deems it ready, he could submit it to the RP approval thread.

Just a thought.

This was my intent in creating this thread. People throw out ideas for a new RP and see if there is anyone interested in the idea before formally submitting it to the Lords/Lady. I've had some RP ideas for a while now, but I didn't want to risk fleshing them out, only for them to die immediately after posting in the Arena. From the information I have already collected here, I see one possible issue I should work on is length.

For instance, I am considering a Time Travel RP where fictional historical characters travels across time on their way home. Pirates meet Ninjas. Cowboys run from Dinosaurs. That sort of thing. To include a clearly defined end in sight I might have the RP ends after the fictional historical characters escape from just one time period.

SSJ Ranulf
February 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
I personally want something like this, my main problem with Dimension Clash back when it was alive was that it went on for far, far too long. Honestly that's probably why it died. People do eventually lose interest if nothing big happens, so personally I like it when an RP does have some sort of goal to meet, whether it be a big finale or some victory conditions. Plus it helps if there aren't several characters trying to achieve similar goals, if not the same goals, as in Dimension Clash (if I recall correctly quite a few people were trying to get the Chaos Emeralds. And the Sol Emeralds at one point. Including me I think so I'm not exempt or anything :P)

Some short RPs could really liven the place up, I might actually write one up myself later.

Oh and referring back to the big ol' RPG post, you may want to consider how many people would be willing to put the effort into that sort of thing, both the people who would be GMs and those participating in it.
Personally I see Dungeons and Dragons and those types of things as more of a social, get-together sort of dealie, so I think it'd be hard to translate it to a message board. Without it being incredibly slow, anyway, because of time zone differences and all that.
But yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that we haven't really tried it yet.

1) I personally disagree with finding it a problem that people often have similar goals. If everyone has a similar goal, it makes moving the plot forward easier for all involved. It doesn't have to be the same (I might want to kill the villain, and you might want to take over his country, for example). Also, another thing to consider is motivation: 4 players all wanting to win a tournament sounds the same, but they could easily have many different motivations (someone wants to kill the champion for revenge, someone wants glory, another person wants the prize wish, and lastly someone just wants to kill).

2) I agree that games with defined goals work the best. This could either mean short (your goal is to get out of the haunted mansion, to use Ark's example) or something longer, but still with clear goals and progress (your goal is to free the 5 sages, with a rate of freeing one sage every week/other week). If games don't have a distinct goal, and more importantly progress towards that goal, then people will get bored and the game will go nowhere.

3) The thing is, I am proposing nothing like DnD except in the basic concept (an RP with rules). The current rules I would use would follow something like having 4 stats per character (Attack, Defense, Speed, Magic/Chi/Mana/Special/Other), with an HP stat counted outside of the others. This, in addition to giving everyone, say, 2-4 special techniques or powers is all it would take to have a system that I would enjoy (and I do have this system pretty much created, to be honest). I could explain the system, when I have it fully finished, in about 5 minutes.

Effort from the players would be only marginally higher then for other games (if at all), but it would be infinitely easier for me to run, and I could make a game like that much more constant.

I suppose I would also call it an RPG due to having more structure and clearly defined goals, having more of a time-table then a normal RP, and likely having session of major, story moving play. That way, people could know that, say, 6 hours every week would be devoted to a major story development, while other time during the week could be used to focus more on character interaction and roleplaying.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 23rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
I'm mulling over an RP idea with a common goal and a backstory, but each person only knows a piece of the story and that effects how they interact. I don't want to spoil too much, but each role-player plays an important part of the backstory, though they may not know it yet.
Just as a heads-up in case you're like me and haven't been interested in getting into an RP previously but might do so soon.

SSJ Ranulf
February 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'm mulling over an RP idea with a common goal and a backstory, but each person only knows a piece of the story and that effects how they interact. I don't want to spoil too much, but each role-player plays an important part of the backstory, though they may not know it yet.
Just as a heads-up in case you're like me and haven't been interested in getting into an RP previously but might do so soon.

So basically everyone has part of the story and are working together? Would you have them acting as a unified force? If that where the case, I could imagine them all trying to piece the story together near the beginning of the game, which might spoil things. Although I'm sure it would be easy for you to stop them from doing it (such as making sharing that kind of information be out of character), it is something to think about.

Dynawing
February 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
... Oh that's what this topic's for. Ehehe.

I find all of your proposals really interesting. I'll try to get some changes made, and I'm considering everything you guys have said. aaaa why did Hypes and Rac have to leave before all this work aaaa

I like more freeform things quite a lot, but endings are great too! Having a good plot helps to contribute to this and that's why I do like some kind of overlying story. Like most things it's not completely necessary, though.

The conceptual time travel RP sounds pretty fun, although I'm not sure if I'd join it, honestly. I like many ideas that get posted but sometimes I just don't want to join for whatever reason. It does sound like something that could grab quite a bit of attention.

Dino I like the premise of yours. And do get into RPs sometime. :D

The idea I'm typing up behind the browser window I've got open here is sorta based on some pretty large story I have in my head. By based I mean sorta taking the general setting and world into an RP with a looser plot and such. It's a kind of fantasy setting, pseudo-Eastern with some more Western influences as well. The land's overall fairly small and has a supernatural atmosphere, with things somewhat similar to a slightly older era of Japan. Here magic supersedes science, but isn't fully understood, and there are things called "Artifacts" around the world that are used as both tools and weapons, though there has been overall peace. And then a fire broke out in one of the few major cities and the entire population was slaughtered and all sorts of weird things start to happen.

Unfortunately I'd have to limit characters to humans and I'm not planning it to be too similar to an RPG in that there are measured stats or anything like that. The thing I'm planning to let people be most free with is the Artifact they get/start with, that can be anything like a firespewing mantle or an incredibly light and obviously magical spear or some killer boomerang wind fan etc. Because angels and demons made really weird &&&& (hi background information).

Posting the draft as it is now would be the best way to explain things, much better than I did just now but I just won't right now. It's better to get the general idea out anyways. And also the post is a little longer than most ideas so I don't really know if anybody would ever even look at it and it might not be interesting but OH WELL

Ark
February 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Well I'm happy that my idea for a simpler RP (well, at least in terms of the plot and ending) was well-received. I'm definitely going to look forward to one of those coming across The Arena.

And on the subject of the RPs that Dyna and Dino posted; I really have to say that I'm interested. I definitely can't wait to see Dino's RP because I'm really digging the idea of character's needing to work together to find out the greater purpose of the story. Rune's time travel RP sounds interesting too, but I'm not quite sure if I'd join it. As much as I love time travel, I can't say that I do a good job of wrapping my head around it. Then again, if it's simpler than I think it is, then color me interested.

Whew, I can definitely say that I'm interested in the RPs that about to grace The Arena. Now the problem would be picking which ones I'd want to devote my time to. :b

Guy
February 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I don't really agree with either of these.
As for the first, I am most definitely not a fan of "see where it goes" sort of things. When I run something, I do not want to see it go nowhere, which it will. Everyone will try to make things take a different direction, and some will do nothing. I've seen people who do nothing to advance the plot. They just sit around and develop their character, despite having already defined every aspect in their first post. A good GM can keep things running according to plan if they take measures. For example, one could kill off characters that don't go with the plan, as I will take great joy in doing with Beyond the Scarlet. Regardless, I can't write characters. I use RPs as a way to express my ideas and concepts, while allowing those that can and will write characters fill in those blanks.
Hm, perhaps I did not make my opinion clear on this point. I do like it when a role-play has direction towards it, as you do, but I do not like for that direction to be planned out beyond a very rough idea. For example, you could have a group of vampire hunters whose goal it is to go in and kill some infamous vampire hidden away in a cave. In a "planned" RP, the PCs will go in and kill it, perhaps preparing to do so along the way by figuring out its weakness or something along those lines. In an "unplanned" RP, the characters might meander for better means of killing it, might turn on one another, might get turned into vampires themselves (which in of itself could turn the RP on its head in a delicious fashion), might someone else to kill the vampire, or could end up with many other outcomes. There is a subtle but very significant different between an unplanned RP with a rough direction, and a fully-planned RP, particularly so when a RP has a GM in charge of things.

Towards the latter, it is simply a personal peeve of mine. I don't enjoy creating my own things from another's ideas. I prefer to make my own.[/COLOR]
I can understand that point of view. But, to me, in the example given, one is only creating a character and an adventure in a pre-defined world. If an adventure took place at some point in real-life history, it would have the same rules as a pre-defined and "unoriginal" world. In both cases, the character and the adventure are original, only the setting is pre-defined. The way I see it, a setting is already pre-defined in any RP you don't make yourself anyway.

Just a thought.
I believe this would work better a pinned thread rather than a subforum, but I wholeheartedly agree. There's been more than one disapproved RP that, with some minor improvements, would appeal to me more than many that get accepted.

I agree with Ark's advocation for simpler RPs, and I would be interested in joining one of those (or creating one, if I never get enough applicants for that new-fangled Feathers RP of mine). To go on a slight tangent from that, I'm surprised no one has brought this up before, but: why do so many RPs seem to take place within a huge world? Often, I've realized, something the size of a small outpost can be more than enough to have a wonderfully engaging role-play. RPs that take place across continents or even planets just seem ridiculous to me.

One more thing I'd like to say is that combat-oriented role-plays rarely seem to remain engaging without a GM present. You're either fighting a NPC or monster whose fate ultimately rests in your hands anyway, or you're fighting another player, in which case the victor is usually determined by who gets too close to god-modding without actually doing it. Either instance makes for a dull thing to focus on, in my opinion.

For anyone who knows me, The Arena is by far my favorite board on BitF. (My bookmark leads straight to that forum, even.) I somehow end up looking over every role-play submitted, and at the very least am tempted to join each one that rummages through the approval process... but the thing is, the few that do get accepted either don't appeal to me at all, or were made by me. It's a bit annoying, really. I'd like anyone out there to know if your RP gets approved, all you have to do is ask for me directly and I will invariably join, even if the RP itself doesn't appeal to me at first.

Ruane
February 24th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I find all of your proposals really interesting. I'll try to get some changes made, and I'm considering everything you guys have said. aaaa why did Hypes and Rac have to leave before all this work aaaa
The appointment of new Lords is the best time for restoration of the Arena.

Dinosaurshotgun’s RP idea sounds very interesting, but I have a hard time conceptualizing how it will unfold. I eagerly await more details. I've read Dyanwing's RP, but I'm not interested as of yet. It may just be too fantasy oriented for my tastes.

Rune's time travel RP sounds interesting too, but I'm not quite sure if I'd join it. As much as I love time travel, I can't say that I do a good job of wrapping my head around it. Then again, if it's simpler than I think it is, then color me interested.

My time travel RP idea will stay focused on how people taken out of their time period cope in an exotic location, not the consequences of messing with history. The current premise I have now is as follows:

A Time-traveler has kidnapped several fictional people from different places in history. While traveling to the Mesozoic era for a dinosaur, the time machine crashed. The RP begins with Time-traveler releasing his captives, telling them they must find his lost time machine parts or else never return to civilization. For simplicity’s sake, there is no language barrier.

Guy suggested using well-known worlds for RP locations, so I will use this map to define the layout of the land:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTelA9ouWP0YHXRnuoOqIoxHaKKqHYdC 3V_oPc7dZtntmFgHRd5ww&t=1

Captain Panda
February 26th, 2011, 03:22 AM
To be honest, i partially disagree with what slash said about copying ideas. i mean sure, if it's a good RP, then the last thing it needs is clones, but when i say this, i mean ideas that have so much potential, but didn't get approved, i would jump straight in there with my version and show how good it could be.

Really i just want things to reach their full potential. That's why i made the fruit comparison: so it can grow off of other people's &&&&.

also did anyone see my version of the sub-forum theory?

If we do abolish the 3 lord's approval thing, then that could lead to some chaos. But what if we had a sub-forum for new RPs, and anyone can join them and do whatever, and if the lords see potential in an RP, then they can move the thread into the main board. This means that the good ones will be recognised and easy to access, while the not so good ones and the new RPs can be in the sub board and can be left to their own devices.

oh well, doesn't matter.

Gun
February 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM
late to the party but how about not a pokemon one for starters

i hadn't been to the arena in ages a few weeks ago

click

pokemon pokemon pokemon final fantasy pokemon pokemon

pls

we can do better that can't we

have some original thought for once

i guess i'm just tired of rp's based on original ideas cough sputter and die while LOL POKEMANZ rps launch off and rocket out of the atmosphere

everyone else has already said this

doop de doop de doop

Objection
February 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Maybe we could separate original RPs and RPs based on other series into different subforums?

Eruedraith
February 28th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Maybe we could separate original RPs and RPs based on other series into different subforums?

This doesn't really seem necessary. I mean, if we had a whole bunch of RPs, then yeah, splitting them up might be a good idea, but it seems rather useless right now, with the Arena's level of activity.

However, I do support the idea of having a 'interest' sub-forum, though I'm not sure how that would fit in with the whole Lords system.

Dynawing
February 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don't see the point of segregating RPs at all. It seems a rather pointless endeavor and it would actually probably cause a further rift between the popularity of original content and media-based RPs.

pokemon pokemon pokemon final fantasy pokemon pokemon

pls

we can do better that can't we

have some original thought for once

i guess i'm just tired of rp's based on original ideas cough sputter and die while LOL POKEMANZ rps launch off and rocket out of the atmosphere

While I agree with this sentiment it's not as if the ideas based on other things are bad.

Anyways there's only two not-dead Pokémon and Final Fantasy RPs, though they seem to be the main ones alive right now. The Pokemon case was a little different in that the four ones you see were just offshoots of one that had to be split due to the unexpected amount of applications... so yeah, that pretty much goes right along with what you said.

We have lots of nice RPs in approval or signups right now that just need some (more) applicants. And now I feel so incredibly obligated to join more of them. Or all of them. Eeeee.

poke poke slash how are signups going hmmm

I'm still figuring out how to approach changing or rewording of rules, but it seems we've decided on one of the subforum ideas. The first one, I think. Like, the one that wasn't Panda's. An RP able to function outside any sort of approval would just invite too much chaos, methinks. If it had rules applied to it, then there should be an approval process in the first place. Whether it's "picked" by the lords or anything like that doesn't necessarily mean much in such a case. Er, yeah.

slashty
February 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
poke poke slash how are signups going hmmm

Need one more.