PDA

View Full Version : Board Games!

Dinosaurshotgun
February 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Board games are a great way to have a little competition among friends! Some like it simple, some like it complex. Discuss your favorites, or interesting news and experiences regarding them.

I'm a big fan of The Settlers of Catan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan). It's got the perfect balance of simplicity, strategy, and creativity that I love. I like adding the Cities and Knights expansion, and there's a spinoff called Struggle for Rome that I often enjoy more than the main game itself.

So what are you all into? Risk? Monopoly? Carcassonne? Discuss!

Jacio
February 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
My favorite-not technically board-game is probably Apples to Apples. The adjective/noun combinations are endless and hilarious.

If we're talking strictly board here, then I'd have to say Monopoly. A good game that surpassed years of 'never going to be a real game' when it was first invented. Now it's the most popular game out there. It's also a great way to waste hours on end.

JSG
February 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I've actually made my own board game in my spare times before...and for homework. Life, Monoply, ect.

Risk? Did somebody say Risk? &&&&.

I rarely play them, but when I do, there is always something that makes me so excited to win the game. I haven't played much lately, so all I can remember is Life.
Also, one of my friends Science board game went like this when 4 of us played:

>Rolled dice, landed
>Friends went
>I landed on "you lose" spot, so its all over for me
>Friend lands on same "you lose" spot
>Friend lands in card spot
>Answered wrong, put in jail
>Last player won, game ended in 5 min

Ark
February 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Well, I'm into Risk and Monopoly, but everybody leaves before we can finish. Very long games. :U

I also play games based on pop-culture and useless trivia, like Trivial Pursuit. I dunno, those kinds of games are a good way to waste time. Uhhhh, word games like Scrabble and Apples to Apples are fun too.

Oh, and I've been getting into Dungeons and Dragons. I'm not too sure on some mechanics, but I have a lot of fun playing.

AuraKnight
February 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Talisman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_%28board_game%29) is a fun way to kill off a day. I suck at it but it's always funny to see people suffer when they encounter really strong enemies on their first turn. stupid luck.

Also there's this game set in a desert that's more backstabby than TF2 which I really like but I can't remember its name. Think, brain, think...

If we're counting pen and paper RPGs then yes I like them too.

And I rock at Cluedo. Been a while since i played, though.

Raptor
February 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I actually like Monopoly the downside is it can take way to long to finish. I want to play risk but never actually seen it. Chess and Checkers I like to play in my spare time there just so fun.
I've played Scrabble and our newest game would be Pictureka(I think it'd that way) It can be pretty sweet at times.

Jacio
February 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention Wizardology: The Game. One of the best games I've ever played, it obviously takes a while if it's that good. Seriously, if you haven't played this game, play it.

Elfice
February 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM
:O Nobody's mentioned Sorry?!? That is one of the best board games ever! And then obligatory Monopoly and Scrabble (my mom and I dominate so hard at Scrabble it's not even funny), chess, checkers (regular and Chinese), Risk...long list.

Mouse Trap, anyone? 2 hours to set up, half an hour to play, lol.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I forgot to mention, Boggle is another favorite of mine (if you even consider it a board game). Clue is fun to play on rare occasion.

When I was younger, I loved playing Careers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careers_(board_game)). In some ways it's similar to Monopoly, but I always liked it more.

slashty
February 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Last year, a few friends and I would always gather to pull all-nighters playing Axis and Allies. AAA Aniversary is easily my favourite board game ever.

Also chess is awesome.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Also chess is awesome.

Lol, I don't even consider chess a board game any more, it's like its own category. I won a couple trophies as a kid for chess tournaments, actually...

And I present to you all an interesting read! (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/164361/careers-family-classic-or-a-game-ahead-of-its-tim)

Balrog
February 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM
When I was a kid I had this Bigfoot mountain game and you had to climb the mountain or something?
I think maybe a bolder rolled down it at some point?

Anyone ever hear about anything like that?

Villerar
February 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM
The Settlers of Catan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan)

Carcassonne

I like these two, I think they are the only ones I have played recently. What I like is that these games are rather easy to introduce to others.