PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular opinions you have

Manty
January 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Be it a show that nobody likes, video game, ect. Any opinion in general that's unpopular.

I, for one, liked Fanboy and Chum Chum.

Captain Yoshi
January 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I agree with you Manty. Fan-boy and Chum-Chum is a pretty entertaining and ridiculous show that had a few LOL moments for me...

As for me... I do not enjoy MS paint adventures... I read it quite far into it. The humor wasn't enjoyable and I just didn't like it.

*Prepares for waves of "How could you not like it? Its awesome"*

Rad
January 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM
"Grinding in RPGs is fun."

Around here, many see it as a blasphemous statement, but that's actually how I feel about grinding now. In the past, I didn't because I had several games to focus on at once (and really didn't care so much), but now, I rather enjoy the work I put into a video game to see the fruits of my mentally-strenuous labor. JRPGs become more enjoyable to me once I've worked with the system to optimize myself.

Now, a different kind of grinding is also fun, but that's a different story altogether and one I won't get into for fear of a lecherous grin coming up.

Share the unpopular love, everyone. Let your voices be heard!

slashty
January 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
"Proofs are easy and fun"
I got lots of flak for this in geometry class, in which proofs were my favourite part. Most people despise the abominations, but I for one found it an engaging and creative thinking puzzle. This is probably because I think visually.
I almost find it odd that everyone hates them so much.

Elfice
January 25th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I got lots of flak for this in geometry class, in which proofs were my favourite part. Most people despise the abominations, but I for one found it an engaging and creative thinking puzzle. This is probably because I think visually.

:O I LOVED PROOFS! They made my day. So easy.

I liked Shadow the Hedgehog on GC :L

Rebel Vanguard
January 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
"Grinding in RPGs is fun."

This so much.

I love grinding in RPGs, whenever I tell someone "Oh yeah I love grinding" They usually respond something along the lines of "But that's no fun!" To which I'd just say, "And fun is subjective." I grind a lot, and I love it. You can get great items and good ol' level ups. It's certainly not everyday that a boss gives me trouble : D

But to actually add something else to the topic, I actually LIKE doing tasks that require hard labor. (since I shoveled snow once and had fun getting tired out)

I say this because most of the time when I speak to someone, they say something like "I wanna earn a lot of money by doing as little as possible" Which is cool and all, but whenever I say "I like moving around while I work on something" they usually give me a wierd look and immediately say "Yeah sure, have fun with that."

I don't think it's bad to like tasks like that, but it just makes me realize how lazy the world is sometimes :<

Taigiry
January 25th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I like to sort things like games, movies, books or anything else alphabetically. Whenever I tell that to someone, I only get this "You must be crazy" look.

Penguin
January 25th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I took geometry a year ahead of most other people in high school. I was very good at proofs, I think I understood them better than most of the rest of the class. My teacher's solution to this was to hand the job for reviewing proofs over to me as part of our project right before the final, and since almost all of the class besides me didn't grasp the basics of proofs, that meant I - a tiny little freshman with the self-confidence of an ant - wound up teaching a class of sophomores and juniors how to do something vital to the final exam in a class that they were required to pass in order to graduate (and also featured prominently on a series of tests that they were required to pass in order to graduate, too). I know this is pretty much the second time in three days I've complained about my high school math classes, but they were awful; the best math teacher I had in high school tended to stop in the middle of his explanations to draw completely random pictures on the overhead and launch into unrelated non-sequitur.

I secretly always rather enjoyed worksheets and worksheet-type busywork in school. Give me a good page of straightforward problems any day, you can keep your long complex essays and reports and group projects.

slashty
January 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I took geometry a year ahead of most other people in high school.

Same here.

Anyways your post made me remember, I love writing papers. Creative writing not so much, but I enjoy writing about things. Research isn't too fun, but the actual phrasing and things is very enjoyable to me.

Hobbez
January 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I don't like the real Pokémon games very much. I like Pokémon Channel, Pokémon Snap, Hey You, Pikachu, ect. I just don't like the ones where you walk around the different areas and fight Pokémon as a trainer.
I don't like RPG games. I just lose interest in them after playing for a while.
I lose interest in MS Paint Adventures when I try to read the comics, but I still think it is actually good.
I have a lot of opinions that I'm too shy/paranoid to say...

Peasley
January 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Proofs weren't that bad. I do remember everybody complaining about them though.

"School doesn't entirely suck"

While that may not sound entirely weird around here, it seems like it would be an absurd thing to say just walking around my high school. I'm too busy with my education to a be a pothead, thank you.

Cheezperson
January 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Funny. This is a topic dedicated to "unpopular opinions," yet most of them seem to be popular here (on this thread). I for one share all of these opinions, not including Hobbez's (the one about not liking pokemon main series games).

Anyway, I'm going to do something controversial here and come out and say it. Generation III of Pokemon is my favorite! It gave us EV/IV's Hoenn, which is the greatest region out there, with so much variation. It gave us Aggron, Blaziken, Salamance, Metagross... not necessarily that they're good competitively, but they're just awesome. We also got Contests, wireless battling, (yeah, only 10 feet, but its better than a link cable), some more story variation, (more important legendaries, new villainous teams...), Battle Frontier, remakes, double battles, and a ton of other stuff that I can't think of right now. Sure, there were some scrappy mechanics, but most of them weren't that bad (seriously, buy some repels for the ocean and stop complaining), and the rest are easily overlookable. Gens. I and II seem kind of shallow to me, and IV seemed to not go to its full potential. I feel like this large block of text deserves a cool wrapping up sentence, but I can't think of one, so you'll just have to have this.

Oh yeah, I also liked some of the post-movie Spongebob episodes. Please don't kill me...

TheMightyBox
January 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM
The Last Airbender was a decent, if not good, movie.

That's all I'm saying at the moment, 'cause I really don't like having to argue the subject over and over.

Curus
January 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Algebra and knitting are pretty fun. They induce a sense of calm in me.
(I don't do algebra any more though and I'm &&&&e at knitting.)

Objection
January 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
"It is not worth getting a girlfriend/boyfriend." I'll be amazed if anyone actually agrees with me here.

The thing is, like most things in life, a sexual relationship costs a lot of time, money and effort. And, like many things in life, the relationship could end up biting you in the backside. So, for a relationship to be worth it, there must be some really good benefits that can only be obtained via the relationship. Perhaps I'm a complete retard, but I don't think there are any such benefits. Most of the good things about a relationship are things you can get in a regular friendship, which costs less time, money and effort and is far less likely to bite you in the backside. The remaining benefits are to do with sex and you don't even need to be in a relationship for that. As for having a child, what's wrong with adoption? So basically, the only good things about having a girlfriend/boyfriend can be obtained through cheaper, completely legitimate ways. Plus, no romantic interest = no heartbreak (that's a big plus in my book).

Cheezperson
January 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I mostly agree with you, Objection. Girlfriends/Boyfriends are pretty overrated, especially in high school. Once you're older though, I'm going to have to sort of disagree with you. Deep inside, mostly because of how we've been brought up, there's a sense of fulfillment that comes from being married or in a serious relationship. I mean, there's friends, and there's that belief (keyword: belief) that two people can share a special bond of mutual respect and fascination for each other. As for your point about having a child, I'm guessing it's kind of hard to raise one by yourself, and an adopted child is different from one that's a piece of you (until it's a teenager anyway (yay hypocritical humor!)) I don't want the criticism to overshadow my main point though, short-termed relationships are completely overrated. Also, it just screws stuff up in high school (from what I've seen, no actually relationships beyond friends here.)

ArtisticDuckie
January 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I think there's a difference between a sexual relationship, a relationship between a boy and girl (or boy/boy girl/girl etc DOUBLE RAINBOWS), and boyfriend/girlfriend. It all depends on what your definition of a boyfriend or girlfriend is.

I don't believe there's also a need to "get" a boyfriend/girlfriend, and if you "get" one, it's not really all that great because usually that means the only thing you really want is the title of boy/girlfriend or something, it doesn't seem to mean anything. I do believe, however, that sometimes there are certain people in our lives that can appear and you just immediately gravitate towards, not because of any lusts or desires but because of a connection you can make in the deepest parts (that's what she said) of someone somehow. Some people can go on single and stuff, but mostly I think humans desire to have a partner (and a vast majority are people who don't truly want to be sealed off from human contact and people who share beliefs right) and it'll just find them. And when someone appears that you just know is right for you, there's just a certain feeling you get that completes you and makes you feel like no one could ever break the bond that has appeared no matter what effort they put towards it.

Of course a sexual relationship costs lots of time, money, and effort, if you're ever going to have a serious relationship then I'm seriously thinking it's going to at least take a load of effort. Nothing is perfect with out it after all. If you really love someone, not lust after them or anything, I think the time, money, and effort don't seem as big a deal as when you're thinking "oh well I don't even have a boyfriend/girlfriend so whatever I wouldn't spend x time with them they're just a person". Relationships are no easy thing ever, they can be really really hard because of difficulties that arise around it, but they're a beautiful thing that are so worth it that you just wouldn't believe it unless you tried.

also, the bit about "not needing to be in a relationship to have sex", well uh that may be true but do you really want to be surrounded by THOSE circumstances to get some? Because uh I dunno I can't really think of anything where it'd be a positive thing to not be in a relationship (friendship/girlfriend/boyfriend or not) to do it

EDIT: so mostly what cheezperson said in retaliation I guess, though I think that there really shouldn't be an age limit (read: you can know that you seriously love someone when you're 13, it's not fake, it's not puppy love, it's what you know it to be). If people are mature enough, they can handle a high school relationship.
short term relationships don't make sense to me however and have a different definition to me than a boyfriend

EDIT2: age limit means "omg no serious relationships when you're in high school"

YamiGekusu
January 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM
-Shadow the Hedgehog is my favorite Sonic-related game.

-I think that the newer Sonic games are better than the old ones.

-Diet Pepsi is better than regular Pepsi.

-I think that Scrubs is extremely unfunny. I just never got into it.

Dinosaurshotgun
January 26th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Read my posts in the debate thread for more serious, unpopular beliefs I have (I've got a lot of them).

As far as more taste-related stuff...

The first two seasons of Danny Phantom have some of the finest episodes of any animated cartoons I've ever seen, from any country.

Hannah-Montana and the Wizards of Waverly Place almost always have at least one genuinely laugh-worthy in every episode... and for the reasons the show intended upon. For the most part, the shows aren't gag-worthy or painfully bad in any episode (though a bit childish, silly, and predictable).

Season 3 (Tamers) is the best season of Digimon.

(already mentioned) Generation 3 is certainly the best Pokémon generation so far.

Probopass is adorable when you get used to it.

Traditional Vampires are a lot cooler than traditional werewolves; Count Dracula makes a fantastic villain.

The Faerie Queene is fun to read, and so is Shakespeare, though not when he's laying down innuendos.

Responding to Rebel Vanguard, I actually like manual labor sometimes and I'm quite lazy myself (not proudly). There are different kinds of lazinesses.

While not the work of art that Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask are, Four Swords Adventures embodies everything fun about Zelda into one package and is one of my favorite games for the Gamecube.

I enjoy the painful cold of a snow day as long as I'm playing in the snow; it actually adds to the experience.

I dislike both coffee and hot tea, particularly the former. Even when loaded with cream and sugar, I don't like "coffee" taste behind it all.

The soap-opera-like parts of Robotech were really quite enjoyable.

Western dragons are way, way cooler than Asian-style ones.

Neko+
January 26th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I actually enjoy eating nattō.

Final Fantasy 13 was actually a decent game.

There are five more Pokemon generations than there should be...

Wait, what?

Villerar
January 26th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Traditional Vampires are a lot cooler than traditional werewolves; Count Dracula makes a fantastic villain.

I think the concept of vampires changed a lot during the past millenium, I might be wrong, though.

I enjoy the painful cold of a snow day as long as I'm playing in the snow; it actually adds to the experience.

Western dragons are way, way cooler than Asian-style ones.

Who would disagree with these two?

I actually enjoy eating nattō.

Wait, what? >_>

Are you serious?

Gun
January 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I genuinely do not see why everyone loves Pokémon THAT much.

Seriously.

It's an okay game but damn, some of you go on about it like it's the best thing to ever come into existence since the beginning of time.

Neko+
January 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Wait, what? >_>

Are you serious?
Yeah. It's not nearly as bad as people say it is, or at least to me. It doesn't really matter if it has mustard or not, but mustard makes it taste slightly better. Also it's supposed to be good for your health.

I guess it's sort of like black licorice. I can't stand licorice at all, let alone black licorice, but apparently people must like it or else nobody would make it...

Objection
January 26th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I can see where Cheezperson and Metaknight4ever are coming from. I feel that part of what caused me to believe what I do about relationships is an ex-girlfriend I was in a relationship with four or five years ago who cheated on me, got pregnant as a result of it and announced it in front of half my family while I was "conveniently" not there.

And Gun's right as well. There are better things than Pokemon.

slashty
January 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I genuinely do not see why everyone loves Pokémon THAT much.

Seriously.

It's an okay game but damn, some of you go on about it like it's the best thing to ever come into existence since the beginning of time.

homestuck

Eruedraith
January 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM
- Yeah, I freaking love Algebra. It's soothing.

- While Pokemon is a good game, I feel that it isn't nearly as great as other people make it out to be.

- Never got into Homestuck. *shrug*

- This isn't nearly as unpopular, but it is in the real world: being in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship? Bad idea.

Super Homestario Bros
January 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I like to sort things like games, movies, books or anything else alphabetically.

As for me... I do not enjoy MS paint adventures... I read it quite far into it.

"It is not worth getting a girlfriend/boyfriend."

The Last Airbender was a decent, if not good, movie.

This x∞ (although Problem Sleuth was at least decent)

Villerar
January 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I guess quite a few of my political, religious and philosophical opinions are rather impopular, though not necessarily on this forum. Though I must say that religious leftism is more accepted in Europe than the US.

Though this is not an impopular opinion, most people would probably find the areas of my interest woefully boring. Ironically, some of my "opinions" that are actually not a matter of debate, but actually the consensus in a field, are the most injurious to some (e.g. my "opinion" that the Roman Catholic Church didn't supress scientists during the Middle Ages).

Agent Gold
January 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
If I've read correctly, zombies as they originally appeared in the media were flimsy beings that fall apart if you so much as slap them. When you think about what they are--rotten bodies that were reanimated but not restored--that makes a lot more sense than the brain-seeking nigh-invulnerable super-strength infectious golems you see nowadays. (Depending on what the explanation is--provided there is one--I suppose the bodies could be strengthened by dark magic, but they've still been decaying for who knows how long, so it seems like a stretch to me.)

Bag-of-dust zombies aren't nearly as scary as nothing-you-can-do-about-it zombies, but since I'm not a huge horror fan and I like to see heroes rise and conquer (rather than just making a last stand), that's how I prefer to think of them and write them.

Also, obligatory: :zombie:

Cheezperson
January 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
So, I guess the consensus on the relationship thing seems to be that relationships should be built on mutual respect and fascination, not "just because."

Also, it's amazing how popular these "unpopular opinions" are.

Also also, I don't really think the VDex thing is really that great.

Mr. Buizel
January 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I honestly did not like OOT that much. And it bugs me a little that everone's like "OMG BEST GAME EVUR". I liked it, good story and gameplay for it's time but it felt quite repetetive later on in the game with what seemed like useless sidequests. The sidequests werent really fun and they made the game like 1% easier. Just saying, good game, not amazing to me. My favorite videogame was actually Donkey Kong 64, with Super Mario 64 really close behind. Donkey Kong 64 had a lot of heart, it had multiplayer fighting, and it was funny, every level was refreshing.

EDIT: I completely forgot about earthbound... and mother 3. That series was amazing and it definitely comes in close second. It had such amazing stuff for its time and mother 3 was completely unforgettable in every way.

YamiGekusu
January 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Black licorice is the best candy ever. Especially Australian black licorice. Holy &&&& that stuff's amazing.

Then there's durian flavored candy. YUMMY~~! :D

Eruedraith
January 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Also also, I don't really think the VDex thing is really that great.

^^This. I played it for a week or so, then just lost interest.

Raptor
January 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Mine only seems to be that I like Halo Wars.
Then again I'm a fan of things like that where you and your enemy see who's can kill who first.
Also I don't like country and I'm from WV.

Hobbez
January 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Black licorice is the best candy ever. Especially Australian black licorice. Holy &&&& that stuff's amazing.

I love black licorice and don't see why some people say that it is "the worst candy ever". I've also wanted to always try a durian or something flavored like one 3:

YamiGekusu
January 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I love black licorice and don't see why some people say that it is "the worst candy ever". I've also wanted to always try a durian or something flavored like one 3:

Durian fruit smells absolutely NASTY, but once you get past the smell, it doesn't tast all that bad. :D

Hobbez
January 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Durian fruit smells absolutely NASTY, but once you get past the smell, it doesn't tast all that bad. :D

I've heard it smells some what like raw garbage, but it said to be the king of fruits. Didn't it also appear as a fruit in Super Mario Sunshine, too?...

Miyako Triball
January 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I enjoy Link's Adventure on the NES.

Illusion of Gaia was the best of the three games that went with it (Soul Blazer and Terrangma).

The Last Airbender was an alright movie, but it was horribly made to represent the original series.

Speaking of horrible things, Eragon is the worst rendition of a book into a movie and I refuse to sit down and watch the movie after watching the final 30 minutes.

Hmm, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Villerar
January 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM

I suppose most people in my country like black liquorice. It's immensely popular here.

Dinosaurshotgun
January 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Who would disagree with these two?

Are you saying you don't know anyone who dislikes the cold of snow?

YamiGekusu
January 27th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I've heard it smells some what like raw garbage, but it said to be the king of fruits. Didn't it also appear as a fruit in Super Mario Sunshine, too?...

My dad says the durian candy I like to eat makes my breath smell like rotten meat. :|

Anyway....

-I think that Super Pac-Man is way better than the original Pac-Man (GASP! even though I have high respect for the original)

-Pac-Man Party is awesome. (a lot of people disagree with me :( )

Objection
January 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't call it awesome, but Pac-Man Party is a pretty sweet game.

Villerar
January 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Are you saying you don't know anyone who dislikes the cold of snow?

I most certainly do, but these tend to be codgers who ganged up to moan. It was rhetoric, not genuine amazement. :P

Gun
January 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
homestuck

I'll admit I'm no better when it comes to that, but people act like enjoying Homestuck like they enjoy Pokémon is the worst thing to ever happen.

Double standards all the way across the sky.

Manty
January 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM
-I think that Super Pac-Man is way better than the original Pac-Man (GASP! even though I have high respect for the original)

Hell yes.

I also prefer Donkey Kong 3 over the original Donkey Kong.

Mr. Buizel
January 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM

I tried black licorice once and blaaaaahh its way too strong/bitter/whatever XD
What do you like about it? (by the way I typically like bitter things but I really didn't like black licorice, I hate both kinds of licorice)

Also, I hate all candy except some sour ones... blah I just hate sweet stuff makes my teeth ache.

Villerar
January 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Black liquorice should not be bitter. It can be sweet or salt to varying degrees. If it was bitter, it probably expired.

Mr. Buizel
January 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Black liquorice should not be bitter. It can be sweet or salt to varying degrees. If it was bitter, it probably expired.

Oh, mine was probably really bad then XD salty? That sounds interesting.. (like in a good way)

Villerar
January 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, we generally classify salt liquorice into two class: mildly salt and salt enough to increase the salinity of the water of a one cubic meter fish tank when dropped in one to ensure the rapid demise of all fresh water species inhabiting it. It will arouse no bedazzlement if I reveal that I prefer the latter type.

Helios
January 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
There's a huge mixture of things on here that I agree with, and a fair amount that I don't. Interesting, huh.

I like pokemon a lot, it's my favorite series (that and Zelda and Metroid and Mario. I just enjoy going between all of them, and they're all awesome), and I spend a lot of time on it. And you know what? I think 3rd Generation is my favorite too (Like Dinosaurshotgun). And, I definitly think there are awesome pokemon in all generations. I dislike it when people say "there are no cool pokemon past Gen 1". My unpopular opinion is that they are wrong :).

"I think Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina of Time" Not saying that Ocarina is bad, it's also an amazing game. But I played the two for the first time at about the same time. (My first play through of ocarina was after TP for me). And, I honestly found TP more enjoyable, the boss battles more impressive, and other factors.

I'm probably explaining these more than I should... oh well.

That's about all for now. I'm full of unpopular opinions, but I can't really think how to summarize any of them right now.

Chain Chomp
January 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Sigh everyone get out your shotguns cause you'll want to after i finished saying this.here goes.

me and two or three of my friends absolutely dispise Kirby games and characters.now before you rage at me i used to like Kirby games and had beat a few of them.but then an annoying person in my school(not saying names)just would nonstop talk about nothing but GOD-DAMN-KIRBY.then me and those couple of friends started disliking Kirby alot.then it made me wonder why i liked them in the first place.they were WAY too easy.now i know what your thinking"OMG U PRAWBOLY HATE DEM CUZ U TINK DAT UR A HAWDCOWE GAYMEW CUZ U PLAY COD AND HAWLOW!DERP" and honestly Cod is only fun every so often and i despise Gaylo.but i like challenge in a game which is probably why i love the Contra and Castlevania games.

also to the people who said Genaration 3 of Pokemon was the best i strongly agree.according to its internal clock i have played almost 700 hours of Emerald Version.

metaknight1138
January 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
OH MY! IM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THIS!!! Mine is that Darth Revan was the best combat duelist in the galaxy, ever. Everever.

metaknight1138
January 28th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Also, Infernape is MUCH better than blaziken.

Helios
January 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Also, Infernape is MUCH better than blaziken.

Nah, of the two, I prefer Blaziken.

But that's just personal preferance ;)

That Freaking Charmander
January 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Animal Crossing is one of the greatest sim games EVER

Bakugan is overated.

Snails are ADORABLE!!

metaknight1138
January 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Your first two aren't unpopular! They are true!
Mando'a should be considered a real language.

Eruedraith
January 28th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm actually not that fond of Kirby games. I'm excited for the new one because it's the first one for forever, but I never really got into the rest.

Curus
January 29th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Mando'a should be considered a real language.

Ah, but what is a real language? [/friday's lecture]

ARC Trooper CX-7529
January 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM
OK, here goes... I think Clone Troopers from Star Wars are better than Halo Spartans. I mean, look at the UNSC. they took FORVEVER to win and destory the Halos, the Republic defeated a MUCH bigger and smarter army in CIS in Star Wars. Plus, the Clone wars was ended in 3 years. Im not quite sure about Halo but i thin it took about 20-25 years to win. Now, yes pound-for-pound Spartans are better fighters, but generally suck at working together and are like ninjas (The fewer the ninjas the better they become). Clone Commando squads are much more effective. Look at the game Republic Commando vs. Reach. Both great games, too, fyi. But lets look at the numbers: Star Wars: Delta Squad: 4 Commandos, Reach/Halo: Noble Team: 6 Spartans. Delta conquers 3 worlds/objectives pretty quickly. Reach was LOST by Noble Squad and pretty much was a total loss. Delta lost only one man, RC-1207, Sev, but he is MIA and NOT reported KIA. Noble Squad lost every man (and Kat) 'cept for Jun but later in a comic we find out he died fighting along side with Master Chief. Sorry to vent so much, but I think I've made my case.

Eruedraith
January 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
OK, here goes... I think Clone Troopers from Star Wars are better than Halo Spartans. I mean, look at the UNSC. they took FORVEVER to win and destory the Halos, the Republic defeated a MUCH bigger and smarter army in CIS in Star Wars. Plus, the Clone wars was ended in 3 years. Im not quite sure about Halo but i thin it took about 20-25 years to win. Now, yes pound-for-pound Spartans are better fighters, but generally suck at working together and are like ninjas (The fewer the ninjas the better they become). Clone Commando squads are much more effective. Look at the game Republic Commando vs. Reach. Both great games, too, fyi. But lets look at the numbers: Star Wars: Delta Squad: 4 Commandos, Reach/Halo: Noble Team: 6 Spartans. Delta conquers 3 worlds/objectives pretty quickly. Reach was LOST by Noble Squad and pretty much was a total loss. Delta lost only one man, RC-1207, Sev, but he is MIA and NOT reported KIA. Noble Squad lost every man (and Kat) 'cept for Jun but later in a comic we find out he died fighting along side with Master Chief. Sorry to vent so much, but I think I've made my case.

Good Grief, man, paragraph breaks.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
January 29th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Lol srry man i had to get that off my chest...

Oh and I think Pokemon xd: Gale of Darkness is the best Pokemon game.

Piscine
January 29th, 2011, 09:10 PM
oh and i think pokemon xd: Gale of darkness is the best pokemon game.

Colosseum is better

You must get bad rap for that, surely.

You know what you say back? "Hey, it's better than Battle Revolution." ;)

ARC Trooper CX-7529
January 29th, 2011, 09:13 PM
A-FREAKIN'-MEN. BATTLE REVOLUTION SUCKS! oh, i love colossem, it is most challenging and tacticly engaging game but I like having more shadows to snag. (Oh, and wouldn't be SWEET if there was sequel to the two!!)

Lissamel
January 29th, 2011, 09:49 PM
...I can't sit through Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, or Avatar.

I like things with dialog. Obviously, niether Fantasia really gives me that. I know it's, like, 'The best Disney movie EVER', but I find it really, really boring. I'm sorry, I can safely say I don't remember ever watching eaither of them all the way through!

Avatar...Mom's friend once put it on. We saw about 10 minutes. I can't tell you a single thing that happens in that 10 minutes. I'm starting to think it's just a slew of special effects with no plot. Heck, I got a layout of the plot, from what I gathered--
1. Guy in war dies.
2. Guy becomes blue person.
3. Guy has no shirt.
4. End.

Again, I'm sorry, I just don't like these movies.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
January 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I gotcha. I'm a sci-Fi and I didn't want to see avatar. But I hope to see Halo as a movie cuz the director would be the same guy from District 9 which I thought was a really good movie

Retro Headset
January 30th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Almost all music released in the last 10 years has been rubbish (Read, ALMOST)

Mkan
January 30th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Well I don't like MSPA.

I think Bidoof is very cute.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I think Donkey Kong Country Returns soils Donkey Kong Country's name (Sorry fans of the game!)

I like The Killers, I mean I guess a lot of people do but I get a lot of crap for it at School.

I'm sure I have a ton more but my brain is half-dead at the moment due to being tired.

Piscine
January 30th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I reckon the people who whine over Sonic's eyes being green and the fact he has a homing attack in Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 are miserable nitpickers.

YamiGekusu
February 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
-I actually enjoy the live action Super Mario Bros movie.

-I still enjoy listening to Backstreet Boys music.

-I prefer to draw on lined or graph paper.

-Avatar was good, but WAAAAAAAY overrated.

-I don't like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Objection
February 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
-I prefer to draw on lined or graph paper.

Do you use the lines as a guide like I do?

YamiGekusu
February 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Do you use the lines as a guide like I do?

Yes I do! :D

TheMightyBox
February 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
...I can't sit through Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, or Avatar.

I like things with dialog. Obviously, niether Fantasia really gives me that. I know it's, like, 'The best Disney movie EVER', but I find it really, really boring. I'm sorry, I can safely say I don't remember ever watching eaither of them all the way through!

Avatar...Mom's friend once put it on. We saw about 10 minutes. I can't tell you a single thing that happens in that 10 minutes. I'm starting to think it's just a slew of special effects with no plot. Heck, I got a layout of the plot, from what I gathered--
1. Guy in war dies.
2. Guy becomes blue person.
3. Guy has no shirt.
4. End.

Again, I'm sorry, I just don't like these movies.

Actually it was more like
1. Watch Dances with Wolves through a fish tank.
2. Repeat a couple times for padding.

Cheezperson
February 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Almost all music released in the last 10 years has been rubbish (Read, ALMOST)

Heck, it's been more than 10 years.

Villerar
February 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Heck, it's been more than 10 years.

This is unpopular for a good reason, it is an egregious example of nostalgia. How many songs from how many different genres by how many bands from the latest ten years have you heard?

Piepi
February 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'd have to agree with Villerar here. As picky as I am about music, I don't have a certain bias against any music based on what time it was made or the genre or whatever.
There are loads of people who won't listen to anything but whatever bands from the 60s-90s, but there's the same amount of incredible things for any musical taste being released now. It's not like there's nothing good now, it's just that popular music has often been marketed to as many people as possible without regard for artistic integrity or musical quality. This isn't by any means always the case, but now more than ever it seems like good bands aren't part of the main music scene.

In other words, if you look hard enough, you can very likely find something you like from any time period. The only reason why one would assume otherwise is because they're closed-minded or haven't tried listening to things that they'd like from any time in music history.

Kerkec
February 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
It's pretty much impossible to say all music released over the past decade is bad. Unless you just hate music, period. And I've never heard of that.
You could say all mainstream music in the past ten years is terrible if that's your opinion, but those songs you hear on the radio aren't the only music out there. With the internet being what it is now, you can easily go find an endless amount of music of any genre out there, and surely you'd find SOMETHING you like. Personally, I don't really like anything that's been released mainstream because I prefer music that's just music, as in no lyrics. But most mainstream songs are bound to have lyrics, so I can say that, in my opinion, pretty much all mainstream music has been terrible.

I think this is what he meant by saying that in the first place, but it was rather vague.

Eruedraith
February 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
It's pretty much impossible to say all music released over the past decade is bad. Unless you just hate music, period. And I've never heard of that.
You could say all mainstream music in the past ten years is terrible if that's your opinion, but those songs you hear on the radio aren't the only music out there. With the internet being what it is now, you can easily go find an endless amount of music of any genre out there, and surely you'd find SOMETHING you like. Personally, I don't really like anything that's been released mainstream because I prefer music that's just music, as in no lyrics. But most mainstream songs are bound to have lyrics, so I can say that, in my opinion, pretty much all mainstream music has been terrible.

I think this is what he meant by saying that in the first place, but it was rather vague.

^^This.

Anyways, back on subject: I actually like Tetsuya Nomura's art style. A lot. I mean, it's so patently ridiculous that it goes out the end of ridiculousness and into the realm of awesome. Even the infamous belt dress.

Helios
February 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Popular opinion: I liked Avatar

Unpopular opinion: I thought it had a good plot. Fairly cliche, to be sure, but cliche does not make it inheriently bad. It means it will make it less interesting unless there is a new spin to that cliche. I thought Avatar did a good job with special effects, and that has to be taken into consideration. Sure, the transition from "army grunt fighting against indigenous" to "becoming one with the indigenous" has been done before, but I thought Avatar covered it well, added a new dimension of stunning visual effects, crafted an interesting new world, and attached you to that world. Then, it proceeds to have the giant tree topple over. Yes, other indigenous peoples have had their homes destroied. But never has it been quite so swift or compleate. Avatar does change the situation of a 'cliche' plot, no longer is it a tribe of human beings, but rather a compleatly different species. That changes the morality of the interactions, as well as the implications of their outcomes.

If you zoom out far enough, every movie and story will always cover some basic plot that's been done before. Yes, the hero "coming of age" has been done before. That does not mean that any story that ever does the same thing will be terrible and cliche. With new characters and even just a few interestng new twists (which Avatar does), the old plot gets revisited in a new light.

I give props to a movie's story if it can get me interested in the environment and engrossed in the story. Avatar did that. There were unexpected moments. There was significant character development. And I enjoyed it and found that the plot was easily interesting enough, and let me properly enjoy all the additional factors, namely the stunning effects. Who cares if it's been done before if I get to enjoy it in this new, stunning enviroment. That in itself makes it shine a unique light on a cliche (but good) plot. Given that it being cliche is the major argument for Avatar having a "bad plot", I have the opinion that it had a good, interesting, and moving plot. Yes, there have been far better storylines. But this one was certainly very interesting, and it wasn't all about the plot, in this case.

Sometimes you just have to shut down your inner critic and enjoy the movie. Doesn't hurt anyone, and you're happier than if you nitpick the movie and refuse to enjoy it.

Ruane
February 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I dislike movie theaters. The popcorn, candy, and drinks are overpriced. Yet, who can honestly resist since popcorn is such a part of the movie theater “experience.” Then there is the general discomfort of the theater. Sticky floors, public restrooms, and much too loud audio. To get a good seat, coming early is a must. That wouldn’t be so bad if the movie started on time. Instead, you have to sit through a bunch of trailers before the movie begins.

The best part about going to a movie theater is taking part in a social outing without having to actually socialize much.

I don't listen to mainstream music at all. Lyrics just don't interest me either. I'd much rather listen to background music from a video game. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Threads of Fate have some of my favorite pieces of music. I also listen to background and theme music from anime since I don't comprehend the lyrics.

Helios
February 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
I don't listen to mainstream music at all. Lyrics just don't interest me either. I'd much rather listen to background music from a video game. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Threads of Fate have some of my favorite pieces of music. I also listen to background and theme music from anime since I don't comprehend the lyrics.

I listen almost exclusively to video game music. It's just so great to get reminded of all those fun places and experiences you had in a great game. I really like the nostalgic factor of video game music, and of course many of the tunes are also catchy!

On that same note, if the lyrics add to that experience, I love them. Case in point, The Megas. They play Mega Man music, but add very well crafted, musical, and interesting lyrics. For the robot masters that they have covered themes from, the lyrics are from that robot's perspective. In that instance, I absolutely love lyrics.

Things like "I love you" and that kind of stuff about someones personal life I find very hard to assosiate with, because I'm not them. Thus, I lose that connection that makes me just absolutly love some lyrics, and even music in general.

That's my (pretty uncommon) take on music.

Retro Headset
February 4th, 2011, 03:31 AM

Yeah this is what I meant.

I did say put the 'ALMOST' in capitals for a reason

Peasley
February 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I don't know how necessarily 'unpopular' this opinion is, but the 1990's had the best music of any decade to date.

Villerar
February 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Note I quoted Cheezperson, not you. Even then, ALMOST implies most with a few exceptions and I think even that would be too strong, with the criticisms above still being valid.

Adonisho, I think that is an opinion common in the alternative rock scene, with grunge and britpop going extremely mainstream during that period.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
CoD sucks. I played it once and its dang dark to kill anything unless you've a stinkin' 360 and HD TV and you get kill too dang much. It may be n00b whining but really, hardest game EVER to pick-up-and-play.

And Halo stillll isn't as good as Republic Commando! it just really need a sequel

Someguyfromcrowd
February 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Yeh, CoD is extremely difficult for a newbie. You have to join into slower, large-map games to have hope.

And NEVER play 32-man FFA Shipment.

Cheezperson
February 4th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Okay, I think my comment has been misinterpreted. What I mean is that based on my limited knowledge, I have made the generalization that the majority of mainstream music that has been released over the past ten years has not been music which I enjoy listening to. There are exceptions of course, lots of 'em. I'm just expressing an opinion, based on what is, I repeat, limited knowledge.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yeh, CoD is extremely difficult for a newbie. You have to join into slower, large-map games to have hope.

And NEVER play 32-man FFA Shipment.

Yup. I like Halo or Battlefront (2 or 1) or Republic Commando when I play a shooter. Sci-Fi shooters are da bomb

Piscine
February 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I used to think Simple Plan was a good band.

Then I realised at the time I was 5 years old and had no sense of music whatsoever.

Guy
February 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM
If I've read correctly, zombies as they originally appeared in the media were flimsy beings that fall apart if you so much as slap them.
There's my feel-really-old moment of the day.

So many of these opinions actually seem quite.. popular. Who likes actually movie theatres for anything aside from the social aspect and big screen? Did anyone think Eragon the movie was even half as good as the book? Etc.

Well, as long as I'm criticizing others, here's a slew of my supposedly-unpopular opinions:
- Mario Tennis for the GBC is easily one of my top 5 most enjoyable games.
- I enjoy thinking about (T)RPGs more than playing them. This includes games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.
- I dislike the entire first-person game mechanic; I still can't get used to having no peripheral vision.
- I dislike homestuck and mspa.
- Despite loving pokemon, I dislike vdex and gpx.
- I actually enjoy a great deal of modern music (apparently a minority in this thread).
- I dislike the vast majority of humor in BitF comics (wait what), as well as the title 'Brawl in the Family,' the art style, and the general attitude of it all. I only pay attention for the rare gem that comes along every twenty updates or so.
- I find the prevalence of 'classic' photoshop-edited sigs, in forums such as these, to be silly.
- I like Tatl, Tingle, the Mermen in the Wind Waker, and (especially) Deku Scrubs.
- When played with the right people, Four Swords Adventures is my favorite Zelda game. And yes, I have actually played them all.
- X is the second-best Final Fantasy, and X-2 was actually good. Again, I have actually played them all (except XI, but why is it even numbered?).
- I find Mario Kart Wii and Kirby's Epic Yawn to be the least-enjoyable games in their respective series (considering Mario Kart as its own series separate from Mario). Played 'em all.
- I prefer 2D images to 3D renders in both video games and animation.
- I like Brawl more than Melee.
- I love Balanced Brawl, yet disdain Brawl+.
- I greatly enjoy many trading-card-based video games, and wish there were more of them. (Pokemon TCG 3, please?)
- I greatly enjoyed Lucky Star and the original Twilight Zone (yes, from the '60s).
- I think Obama is actually doing well as a President and at upholding most of his promises, considering congress and various other factors.
- I believe marijuana should be legalized (is this even unpopular anymore?).
- I love Macs.
- I love men. Physically. And unless you can't tell, I'm one of them.

:v

Cheezperson
February 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
- I dislike the vast majority of humor in BitF comics (wait what), as well as the title 'Brawl in the Family,' the art style, and the general attitude of it all. I only pay attention for the rare gem that comes along every twenty updates or so.
:v

Now that, my friend, is an actual unpopular opinion.

Oh! Here's a good one. After finishing the Water Temple in OOT today (except for Morpha) I have to say, it wasn't really that tough. You just had to remember where things are and not skip anything.

Helios
February 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Oh! Here's a good one. After finishing the Water Temple in OOT today (except for Morpha) I have to say, it wasn't really that tough. You just had to remember where things are and not skip anything.

Same. The way I play LoZ games, I kept track of that stuff easily, and thus, plodded along just fine.

And the only reason I found Morpha difficult was because I had trouble hookshoting him properly. I didn't come close to dying, just took forever and a half for me.

Another unpopular opinion of mine. I liked Eragon the Movie. Not as much as the book, of course. But, given how books typically transform into movies, this wasn't bad at all. There were some scenes that it was fun to see in action, and the battle in the end was *mostly* done pretty well. Took quite too many liberties with the plot, though.

Kirbster
February 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
-MS Paint Adventures is boring

-Majora's Mask was MUCH butter than Ocarina

-Broadway is the best thing since ever

-Beavis and Butt-Head was gross and stupid. The only good thing that came of it was Daria.

-Dresses are the best feeling clothes.

-Make-up makes everything better

-Clothes portray you quite a lot.

-Navi is adorable.

-Brawl > Melee

-Obama is not that good of a president.

-George Bush was actually a good president.

-It wasn't a mistake to start the Iraq War.

-Rock, Metal, and Rap music are loud and obnoxious.

-Country isn't bad.

-Animals shouldn't be hunted for fun.

-It's not wrong for the KKK to exist, as long as they don't do any physical harm.

-Harry Potter is weird and stupid

-Dwayne Johnson is the hottest man on earth.

How many times did I say stupid and dumb, my god.

Cheezperson
February 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Uh...Kirbster? A lot of those aren't unpopular, especially the "killing animals for fun" one.

As for the Eragon movie, I found it tolerable, but some of the Narm was appalling. Remember that line, "WE FIGHT AS ONE!!!"

Kirbster
February 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
A lot of those aren't unpopular, especially the "killing animals for fun" one.
Well, this entire thread is about opnions.

And the animals one makes sense if you know that my family has a lot of hillbillies in it.

Also, some I forgot.

-Gory/scary movies are rarely, if ever, good.

-Gay and retarded are not to be used a synonyms for bad, feminine, stupid, or anything like that

-First person shooters aren't fun.

Cheezperson
February 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Good point. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion that your unpopular opinions are unpopular.

That Freaking Charmander
February 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I think Weedle is the most
badass Pokemon ever.

I just didn't like Banjo Kazzoie
all that much. Yes its a great
game, but I perfer Mario 64.

Yoshi Story was a good game!

Guy
February 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Uh...Kirbster? A lot of those aren't unpopular, especially the "killing animals for fun" one.
She's definitely the only person who I know actually thought the Iraq War was a good idea and considered Bush a--not 'alright,' not 'satisfactory'--but 'good' president. However, I do agree that most of the others are rather common. (Although I strongly disagree than an organized group based on racial hatred and discrimination, such as KKK, is 'okay to exist,' I have nonetheless heard it at least twice before.)

I think Weedle is the most badass Pokemon ever.
This, except with Caterpie.

I believe the only 'hard part' came to the few who never checked the maps or never found compass: there are one or two keys which (supposedly) would otherwise be very difficult to locate. Though I can hardly remember it now, I think I had a problem with one of those keys too, back when I was about nine. The Shadow and Spirit temples, in my opinion, are a bit more difficult overall.

Villerar
February 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Obama is much too right-wing. Or Obama is right-wing, for that matter. The first is an opinion, the latter is more or less undeniable with the standard definition of economic left and right, but unpopular nevertheless.

It is truly bedazzling to me that there are adult men (that I can say this is much to the credit of females) who invest such an extraordinary amount of time to insufferably complaining about the presence of Tingle in Zelda games; what pernicious damage does an eccentric 35 years-old do, ruin your entire gaming experience? I can grasp that some people are not very charmed by his graceful appearance that makes the dour who are among us seem uncommonly pale, but the lengths at which some straitlaced game "critics" go to bash Tingle is downright crazed. I'm not sure whether this is impopular here, though, considering this forum revolves around a rather cute topic. I'm also not really sympathising to people who moan about Navi either.

I think it is fairly absurd to apply the epithet 'classic' to signatures or to presume there are many signatures made with PS on these fora (most have been made by GIMP). Let's call it the eye of the beholding crank, though.

Guy
February 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think it is fairly absurd to apply the epithet 'classic' to signatures or to presume there are many signatures made with PS on these fora (most have been made by GIMP). Let's call it the eye of the beholding crank, though.
You're clearing directing this at me. Perhaps I was a bit rash to say 'forums such as these,' as BitF has relatively few, but you seem to be nitpicking at the vastly unimportant details, here. Nonetheless, allow me to rephrase so as to better illustrate my opinion:
- On forums in general, I find the prevalence of signatures of standard rectangular dimensions featuring two or more the following three aspects to be silly: artwork of a known fictional character created by someone other than the signature-creator; various image-editing-program effects and a background consisting of seemingly random lines, colors and shapes, which often aims to compliment the mentioned character; and the signature-bearer's username in some form of stylized font, perhaps with or replaced by a quote of some sort.

Villerar
February 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Calling it "vastly unimportant details" is exactly the thing that would be crankish to say, which was my point, i.e. making bold comments on a topic with insufficient familiarity. This has to do in particular with calling it PS signatures, which is of roughly the same level as supposing that all anime is naughty tentacles. I wasn't saying that your opinion was wrong, just that it was crankish, especially with giving it a mangled name. I agree that is minor, but getting the name right is a good step to be taken more seriously.

[/massive offtopic]

Feel free to respond to this, but I'll take it to VMs after this if you do not mind.

Peasley
February 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Note I quoted Cheezperson, not you. Even then, ALMOST implies most with a few exceptions and I think even that would be too strong, with the criticisms above still being valid.

Adonisho, I think that is an opinion common in the alternative rock scene, with grunge and britpop going extremely mainstream during that period.

This is probably likely. Some of my favorite bands are RHCP, the Foo Fighters, Weezer, Soundgarden, Oasis, and Blur, as well as perhaps Third Eye Blind. The 2000's weren't that bad though-especially stuff like the White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Three Days Grace, and 3 Doors Down.

Piepi
February 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM
This is a bit late, but why does almost everyone have such an issue with lyrics in music? Have you all somehow been listening to music where lyrics are inane, meaningless, and don't compliment or add to the song whatsoever? I honestly find this extremely difficult to believe, and if it is true, you've been listening to the wrong music. It may sound unnecessarily impertinent to say this but I feel very strongly the other way and don't quite comprehend the reasoning.

slashty
February 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM
This is a bit late, but why does almost everyone have such an issue with lyrics in music? Have you all somehow been listening to music where lyrics are inane, meaningless, and don't compliment or add to the song whatsoever? I honestly find this extremely difficult to believe, and if it is true, you've been listening to the wrong music. It may sound unnecessarily impertinent to say this but I feel very strongly the other way and don't quite comprehend the reasoning.

While I love quite a lot of music with lyrics, I find my preference lies in music without or with incomprehensible lyrics.
I'm not quite sure why.

Darky
February 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I don't like chiptunes.
You know, bleepity-bloopity 8-bit sounds. I don't find them to be particularly pleasant to listen to. They're piercing and they irritate everyone around you because unless the volume is really low, people are going to hear it from your earphones. And then you get the 'nerd' comments.

I'm just not really into video game music in general. I don't take a great deal of notice of a soundtrack when I'm absorbed in the game. Why would I? If your concentration wavers while you suddenly realise what a nice song this is, blam, you've had your brains blown out. Yes, the music adds to the atmosphere, but it's not something I really pay attention to. I can't remember how most of the music goes in the majority of the games I've played because I don't pay attention to it.
I've not got a lot of VGM on my iPod. A track or two from SSBB, a track from Henry Hatsworth, and that's pretty much it. I'm much more fond of contemporary music.
Which brings me onto my next point...
I get absolutely infuriated when people are like 'music today sucks, that's why I only listen to music from the 60's/video game music/obscure bands you've probably never heart of'
Music today is not all &&&&ing meaningless pop. It's called looking past the charts and finding something you like. Enjoy your chiptunes? Try some electronic. Stuck listening to the Rolling Stones? There's tonnes of good rock bands out there. Obscure bands? Stop being elitist.

Coffee
February 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Eh, I kinda liked the American Godzilla remake...

Objection
February 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
While most of the mainstream songs I've heard have acceptable lyrics, there are a few that sound like whoever wrote the song couldn't be bothered to finish the job. Listen to the refrain of Womanizer by Britney Spears and you'll see what I mean.

I'm just not really into video game music in general. I don't take a great deal of notice of a soundtrack when I'm absorbed in the game. Why would I? If your concentration wavers while you suddenly realise what a nice song this is, blam, you've had your brains blown out. Yes, the music adds to the atmosphere, but it's not something I really pay attention to. I can't remember how most of the music goes in the majority of the games I've played because I don't pay attention to it.
Have you played any games where you could leave the game unpaused for five minutes and nothing bad will happen, or you can pause the game and still hear the music? Those are the times when one can really appreciate the soundtrack. If you still don't care much for it though then fair enough.

Piepi
February 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
@Objection: that's pop music and as discussed before, it typically has a shallow and inane meaning if one at all. However, just because one genre of music doesn't have proper lyrics doesn't mean lyrics on the whole are to be avoided.
i'm not talking about mainstream music, exactly–yes it typically doesn't have good lyrics, but do a lot of popular movies have good stories? it's like saying since they don't have good stories often, that you should avoid movies with any story at all. while lyrics aren't as important to a song as story is to a movie, it's pretty irrational to generalize in such a way.

Music today is not all &&&&ing meaningless pop. It's called looking past the charts and finding something you like. Enjoy your chiptunes? Try some electronic. Stuck listening to the Rolling Stones? There's tonnes of good rock bands out there. Obscure bands? Stop being elitist.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, a-wait, i feel as though this last bit is directed at me :c
to be perfectly fair, i enjoy a lot of not-obscure, yet not quite mainstream stuff in addition to my obscure music. i don't listen to the latter because it's obscure, though, but because i like it. sometimes the music you really love is hard to find and i don't think it's exactly fair to call someone elitist because they like a band you haven't heard of. they're being elitist if they like the band because its obscure and nobody else likes it, and insult other people for what they like.

Bucken-Berry
February 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I personally don't see why people like Adventure Time so much.

Helios
February 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't like chiptunes.
You know, bleepity-bloopity 8-bit sounds. I don't find them to be particularly pleasant to listen to. They're piercing and they irritate everyone around you because unless the volume is really low, people are going to hear it from your earphones. And then you get the 'nerd' comments.

I've not got a lot of VGM on my iPod. A track or two from SSBB, a track from Henry Hatsworth, and that's pretty much it. I'm much more fond of contemporary music.
Which brings me onto my next point...
I get absolutely infuriated when people are like 'music today sucks, that's why I only listen to music from the 60's/video game music/obscure bands you've probably never heart of'

I don't think when I listen to the music, its very loud outside the headphones. And I've taken them off and listened if they were too loud before. And I do end up playing some good chiptunes.

Also, while the music is not essential to the experience of playing, it is a small part of it. What is great is that with the music, you can go back to the environment in the game that you were in where you heard it. You don't have to replay the entire game to get a quick, 1-4 min reference to it, which takes you back to when you were playing it. That's how I treat the music in games; not so much in the game so it's a distraction, but as a sublte nostalgic reference to the game. And Mega Man music is just plain catchy.

And, you can get good interesting remixes of old chiptunes, if you don't like to listen to chiptunes.

Faedeur
February 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM
You know, I may as well say it here, since I got too much flak over it in the actual thread for it. But I believe in the religion from the Legend of Zelda. I know there isn't much behind it, I know that most people would rather denounce it and say that it does not exist just because it is from a game. But it is true. I believe in the three goddesses and the Triforce.

Villerar
February 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I must say that your versability in coping with unsuspected heavy fire in such a dry way is laudable. It is also probably the best post in this topic so far.

Faedeur
February 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have posted it before in other "What's Your Religion?" topics on other forums, and have recieved less... hate, I guess, than I have in that one.

Villerar
February 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Eh, it isn't hate and people don't hate, the heavy fire I meant consisted of inquisitive questions from all sides. Which I guess was unsuspected (it also surprised me, I had read it before there were any replies to it and expected the topic to be inactive afterwards).

Dinosaurshotgun
February 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think an explanation for why some people generally prefer music without lyrics is one of two causes:

a) The way they take in the meaning of words is jarring compared to how they take in tunes, so it feels like juggling two things at once that don't blend together,
or
b) They don't particularly like the sound of comprehensible words as an instrument, just as someone may generally dislike, say, the saxophone in music. The human voice is an instrument, after all, and bending it into words rather than straight tunes may seem almost grating to some people.

For me, it depends on the voice or the style of music. For example, while at times I find singing detracts from various kinds of music, I would rather have Sufjan Stevens sing in his music than not. In other words, I think Sufjan's voice and singing style befit his music.

EDIT:

I have posted it before in other "What's Your Religion?" topics on other forums, and have recieved less... hate, I guess, than I have in that one.

I personally don't hate you for it, I'm rather curious myself. I highly doubt even \'|- hates you, even though he was offended by your view (which is different).

Darky
February 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, a-wait, i feel as though this last bit is directed at me :c

It wasn't and I apologise if that impression was gained :G

Guy
February 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I think an explanation for why some people generally prefer music without lyrics is one of two causes:
When I'm in the mood for disiking lyrics, which is often, it's usually because I don't want a beautiful melody ruined with human statements, which are often quite ugly--disgusting, even. It is not the presence of words; it's the meaning behind them.

Curus
February 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I listen to a lot of wordless music, but I enjoy interpreting obscurer or stranger lyrics. Or I like their, uh, 'message'. Or, at the very least, words make a song more memorable and easier to sing in the shower.

Helios
February 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM
When I'm in the mood for disiking lyrics, which is often, it's usually because I don't want a beautiful melody ruined with human statements, which are often quite ugly--disgusting, even. It is not the presence of words; it's the meaning behind them.

And sometimes that meaning can be infinitely more powerful than the melody itself, especially when it forms its own melody.

For example, the following lyrics are sung in the Megas version of Quick Man:

"My circuit's slow
My moment has come
Your speed means nothing if its death that you're runnin' from."

When done well, lyrics can expand the meaning of a song greatly. My opinion is that, in terms of meaning, lyrics have a lot more potential than just plain melodies. However, oftentimes it is pleasent to listen to just the melodies. That's why a variety is good.

Lightningboalt
February 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM

you must listen to a lot of terrible music if the meaning behind all of the lyrics you ever hear is the ugly, disgusting stuff you're talking about

Guy
February 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm a pessimist and a hater of most traits characteristic of mankind, but I believe I noted I am not always in that frame of mind, contrary to what you seem to be implying there, Boalt. I actually agree with Helios that lyrics can be the better part of a song, as rare as I find such an instance to be.

My statement was merely to give Dinosaurshotgun a third theory as to why certain people dislike songs with lyrics.

Helios
February 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well, what things do you find ugly and disgusting. I, of course, can understand the dislike of a lot of mainstream music. Do you find lyrics about love, but without discussing sex, do you find those disgusting still? Just because you find that humans are more evil than good (you said the majority of their characteristics you find negative), doesn't mean that anything they say about those is disgusting. For example, a song could be a commentary on the feeling of pride, and could still be meaningful and interesting. I will, however, conceede, that good, deep, meaningful lyrics that connect and resonate with you can be rare indeed.

Cheezperson
February 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
So, unrelated unpopular opinion:

TV Tropes does not ruin your life, but enhances it.

Helios
February 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Lol, the two times I've been on it I spent hours more then I planned on. Too many links!

Save some of the links for saving princesses, why doncha?

Unpopular opinion: I like puns, even the silly ones!

Kiwi
February 5th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Why does nobody else seem to like candy corn?

Also, never quite liked MSPA.

Piscine
February 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM
In MSPA, I reckon Problem Sleuth was better than Homestuck.

Helios
February 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I'm with you there. I really like candy corn, but a lot of people really don't like it =/

Peasley
February 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Why does nobody else seem to like candy corn?

Candy corn is incredible.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I <3 candy corns :3

Peasley
February 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM
-Obama is not that good of a president.

-George Bush was actually a good president.

-It wasn't a mistake to start the Iraq War.

Alright, since these are your opinions, you must have reasoning. Why wasn't the Iraq War a mistake? Why was Bush better than Obama is now?

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
The Iraq War wasn't a mistake. 9/11 was a savage and inhuman act that needed to be avenged. Go bush, he had some balls and stood for what he believed it. That's what makes a man great

Peasley
February 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
...Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
It is a terrorist cell and allied. Still an issue

ArtisticDuckie
February 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Unpopular opinion:

I love it when people don't know what they're talking about in the least

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
... yeah.

Peasley
February 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Iraq was invaded because we were convinced that Iraq had WMDs. Which they did not. Afghanistan was the 9/11 response.

Now tell me, is invading countries and killing innocent civilians ballsy?

Piepi
February 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Iraq is not a terrorist cell. The US government acted hastily because they wanted someone to blame for 9/11. Instead of doing the smarter thing and doing our research, we jumped into the wrong war with the wrong country for the wrong reasons.

In actuality, any war in the Middle East would have been a mistake. Instead a quick bombing of terrorist bases would have sufficed perfectly well (and we wouldn't have lost citizens to war on either side), and we wouldn't need to spend eighty trillion dollars or whatever the figure is on our military per year (to be honest i think we could do with about half of that money, especially if we weren't in two wars at once hurr)

Villerar
February 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Saddam fascist government was in bad relations with the reactionary Taliban and Al-Qaeda, unsurprisingly. The weapons of mass destructions present in Iraq (which were not usable anymore, hence impotent, hence actually not WMDs) were support from the US in the war between Iran and Iraq.

Rebel Vanguard
February 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Last I checked this was a topic on unpopular opinions o:

It's cool and all to talk about the war and all, but at least do it in the right place.

Now for some topic re-railing:

-I think Chihuahuas are possibly the cutest dogs in existence, and they're totally not as annoying as people say. Since when you mention "Chihuahua" people immediately think "Oh those little dogs that never shut up?" They're actually not that bad!

-I'm not really interested in too many new games of today.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM
-I think Chihuahuas are possibly the cutest dogs in existence, and they're totally not as annoying as people say. Since when you mention "Chihuahua" people immediately think "Oh those little dogs that never shut up?" They're actually not that bad!

Old chihuahuas are actually quite cute. If you're referring to the majority of chihuahuas, then yeah I'm disagreeing with you, but that makes your post on-topic!

-I'm not really interested in too many new games of today.

Well at least we wrapped up the music debate in time for the game one. Though I wouldn't debate the phrase "I'm not really interested in"... out of curiosity, how often are you interested in a game "of today", and how far back does "today" reach?

Rebel Vanguard
February 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I actually consider newer games from about the 2005-ish period to now. Not exactly too new, but still somewhat recent.

My disinterest in newer video games usually comes from my lack of motivation to just play new games honestly. The last time I was actually excited for a new game coming out was when Star Wars Battlefront 2 was about to come out, after it came out my excitement kinda died down along with my interest in video games in general. After that I found myself playing a lot less and eventually not caring about newer games. But at the same time I wouldn't exactly consider myself a "MAN I MISS THE OLD DAYS OF VIDEO GAMES" kind of person.

Some newer games catch my eye, maybe sequels of some of my favorite past games. Or maybe I hear extremely good things about a certain game. But about 95% of the time I have to be forced or bothered enough to play a new game. Usually through my brother who gets new games and says "You should totally play this game, it's pretty sweet" and I'll ask about it, then put it off for a few weeks, then play it.

But just because I'm not interested in newer games doesn't mean I won't like them. I guess the only thing that I'm missing is motivation to play, and money.

Cheezperson
February 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Unpopular opinion: I like puns, even the silly ones!

Cool, you too?

CelloX
February 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
-Orachina of time is horribly overrated.

-I am a agnostic athiest (Extremely unpopular opinion, sadly :( )

-I am a libertarian

-Im okay with a lot of the 3d sonic games.

-I actually liked the kirby show (Only when muted or japanese though)

-The A-Team was a great movie

Faedeur
February 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
-Orachina of time is horribly overrated.
I concur. I have always been more for A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

-Im okay with a lot of the 3d sonic games.
I haven't played too many, but I have both Adventure games and my sister has Colors. I like how those turned out.

Villerar
February 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Let's give this another shot:

• I liked Doshin the Giant, despite its unappealing graphics and very simple gameplay.

• I'm climate sceptic (quite uncommon for a red green), though this isn't reflected in my environmental beliefs.

Darky
February 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
• I liked Doshin the Giant, despite its unappealing graphics and very simple gameplay.

This is unpopular?

Villerar
February 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
This is unpopular?

I had encountered some hate towards it and very little praising sounds. I didn't do a statistical survey, though. I think most people who do not know about it would find it inaffably weird nonetheless.

Balrog
February 11th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I'm with you there. I really like candy corn, but a lot of people really don't like it =/

One of my favorite snacks :3
------

I think the Beatles music is out of date, and sounds bad. All my friends think I'm weird because of it :/

Manty
February 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I like a lot of things lukewarm. Especially food, water, and the weather. (Not sure if this is unpopular, really)

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
i think Halo: Reach's storyline is lame. they all died.... Plus I think 1st peron shooters need more cutscenes, better plot and should more like an interactive movie than a slaughtering enviroment

Dinosaurshotgun
February 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I think 1st peron shooters need more cutscenes, better plot and should more like an interactive movie than a slaughtering enviroment

Er, this is kind of a generalization, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ask, what shooter game does this well? An example would help get your point across.

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hmmm hard to say. I think Halo does OK but the cutscenes are rare. The best example of cutscene use (that I've seen) is in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. The player learns a ton about the protaginist, Jango Fett, and see some awesome moves from him from the cutscenes. And its plot is solid, explained slaughters which i think should be the goal. This keeps the player entertained and what to play more at the same time.

The reason why I say this is unpopular is because I have a lot of friends that breeze over the cutscenes which irks me. They are my favorite part of Video games if you ask me (well, if it is a good cutscene)

ThatFellow
February 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM
If I recall correctly the Resistance series had a lot of cutscenes too and a pretty good story.
I probably would have liked it if it weren't for the pretty dull pacing of it all.

But yeah, story heavy FPS games are hard to come by, at least ones without RPG elements like the recent Fallout games. 3rd Person Shooters are a little better at it though, Mass Effect immediately comes to mind. But again that has RPG elements.

Anyhoo, a few unpopular opinions of mine... I forget if I posted here before so some of these may be repeated but what the hell...

- I don't care much for Minecraft. I just found it dull. I figure it was probably down to the fact I wasn't in an online community and I don't really have the time to spend hours on something that would probably end up looking terrible in my case. When they add in the story elements that I've sort of heard about I may get involved again. But as it is now, a sandbox which just seems incredibly desolate and dull to me, I won't be playing it that often. I can see how it appeals to some people though, it's just I prefer to explore premade levels with NPCs, towns and the like rather than creating them myself. I dislike LittleBigPlanet for the same reason.

- I think popcorn tastes like paper. Except maybe the butter coated stuff.

- I think FFVII is the best Final Fantasy, from a story and aesthetical point of view. But that's largely because I love sci-fi and it was my first one and nostalgia and all that stuff. And speaking of which...

- I don't think nostalgia is bad. Being too nostalgic to the point of hating everything else that came after it (i.e. hating every Pokémon post generation 1), yes, but liking something more because you loved it as a kid shouldn't be looked down upon, as long as you freely admit to that fact.

- I didn't love Red Dead Redemption. I still preferred it to every GTA though and thought it was still a good game, it just wasn't the brilliant masterpiece a lot of people claimed it to be. Although that could be due to the fact I accidentally rode my horse over the cliff when the apparently brilliant music section kicked off. :P

And a lot of these were about video games so I'll just end with this...

- Whilst I do think the Toy Story trilogy was great and encapsulated my childhood, I do think Pixar have made better films besides them. Namely Wall-E, Monster's Inc. and Up. Oddly nostalgia goggles don't really work for me in regards to Toy Story. Weird. Bizarrely I'm more nostalgic towards A Bug's Life. No idea how that works. :P

Dinosaurshotgun
February 22nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
- I think FFVII is the best Final Fantasy, from a story and aesthetical point of view. But that's largely because I love sci-fi and it was my first one and nostalgia and all that stuff. And speaking of which...

I'm sorry, this is a thread for unpopular opinions. Do you need a map?

QuinSilvayne
February 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Well, here's to burst your bubble:
I cannot stand any Final Fantasy game. I don't get them. I've played a few of them-- the DS remakes, Tatics, and another one. All of them got under my skin somehow. I was really hoping I'd like Tactics, but I ultimately got lost in what exactly were the differences between the classes, the use for the classes, and, ultimately, I just had to put it down. I've watched an episode of NCS' Let's Play of FFX, thinking that it was just the one's I've played and, while it did look interesting and different, I got kinda sick of the few I watched since every four steps he took he hit a battle (he skipped the random ones, but it reminded me of Skies of Arcadia too much).

Sure, I've only expirianced a few of them, seeing another makes me roll my eyes.

ThatFellow
February 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
I'm sorry, this is a thread for unpopular opinions. Do you need a map?

well in my experience Final Fantasy VII gets a lot of disdain, from the Final Fantasy fanbase. I do agree that a lot of casual Final Fantasy players (i.e. the ones that have only played a few of 'em) will think FFVII is the best one, but in terms of the people who've played 'em all? FFVII is usually looked down upon.

so yeah it's an unpopular opinion in certain parts of the internet. Seriously, look at any given forum whenever someone brings up the topic of a FFVII remake and you'll be split between people who would love it and people who think it's overrated, or those who just hate it outright.

It's... Complicated. :P

And sticking to the same topic, I like Advent Children. But I do know that it'd make no bloody sense if you'd never played FFVII before and as a movie in it's own right it's not very good, but I just find it immensely fun to watch. It manages to balance nostalgia, cheesiness, action and heartwarming scenes remarkably well. It has a scottish robot cat riding an awesome talking wolf (who doesn't talk enough in the movie quite frankly) whilst battling a gigantic flying behemoth and defeating it with the power of team work.

And QuinSilvayne, I'd say give a few more of the games a shot if you get the chance. The random battles are indeed very dated at this point, but if you can ignore them there are pretty good stories underneath it all.
Although it could mean you just dislike RPGs, which is no bad thing really. The things usually eat up time like nobodys business so count yourself lucky you haven't been dragged into the pit. :P
I'd recommend getting into Kingdom Hearts though if you want a relatively simple entry point into the Square Enix style.

Mkan
February 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Nah, of the two, I prefer Blaziken.

But that's just personal preferance ;)

I know I am almost a month late in saying this, but no, Infernape (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape) is LEAGUES better then Blaziken. (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blaziken)

Better stats and better move-pool.

BUT BLAZIKEN HAS SLIGHTY HIGHER ATTACKCKCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinosaurshotgun
February 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I know I am almost a month late in saying this, but no, Infernape (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape) is LEAGUES better then Blaziken. (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/blaziken)

Better stats and better move-pool.

BUT BLAZIKEN HAS SLIGHTY HIGHER ATTACKCKCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody needs to catch up on Dream World abilities =P infernape is still considered better (usually) but the gap between them is almost closed, and blaziken now has a unique niche it can fill.

Also, all of Blaziken's stats are higher than infernape's except for speed, defense, and special defense, allowing Blaziken to be potentially even more effective than infernape at using mixed moves (although infernape has a much better mixed movepool).

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Plus everybody loves the big bird more because he came FIRST!!! Blaziken was the reason why (and Groudon) I loved Ruby so much. He was that cool.

Mkan
February 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Somebody needs to catch up on Dream World abilities =P infernape is still considered better (usually) but the gap between them is almost closed, and blaziken now has a unique niche it can fill.

Also, all of Blaziken's stats are higher than infernape's except for speed, defense, and special defense, allowing Blaziken to be potentially even more effective than infernape at using mixed moves (although infernape has a much better mixed movepool).

WELL EXCUSE ME PRINCESS.

Eh I haven't been up to date at all on B/W because I'd rather not spoil myself, and I'd say I've done a pretty damn good job. I might be able to get back at you when I get the game.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 25th, 2011, 11:45 PM
WELL EXCUSE ME PRINCESS.

Eh I haven't been up to date at all on B/W because I'd rather not spoil myself, and I'd say I've done a pretty damn good job. I might be able to get back at you when I get the game.

OH SNAP

Yeah I'm trying not to spoil myself on new Pokémon or places or people but new stuff on old Pokémon is fair game for me =P

ARC Trooper CX-7529
February 27th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I agree. I also think that the 3rd gen. in pokemon needs to get a makeover, with better moves and better core stats, like the 1st and 2nd have recently.

Dinosaurshotgun
February 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I agree. I also think that the 3rd gen. in pokemon needs to get a makeover, with better moves and better core stats, like the 1st and 2nd have recently.

The inclusion of dive means this has a pretty good chance of happening.