Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravity Falls

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Re: Gravity Falls

Disney On Demand I love you

So! Irrational Treasure was amazing! Really enjoyed
    the 8 and half president of the US!
    and the character development for Mable.

Also,
    Pacifica got so owned at the end. I actually agreed with Dipper oops

All in all, I'm really liking the direction this show is taking! I expect big things from Episode 9!

Waddle Dee

In the first episode, Dipper mentions, and I quote, "unlocking the secrets of Gravity Falls".
    I think he's got a key now. As of the (leaked) episode 8, that is.
    Also, I'm willing to bet that Mabel's grappling hook will end up being a Chekov's Gun.
    Last edited by Fawfulcopter; August 14th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Clicky Clicky!

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Here's something funny I saw...

Well there's her family!
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

Does that mean Wendy's the oldest? The oldest brother actually looks like he'd be around the same age as her in that other picture. Either way, I freaking love Manly Dan!

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Episode 9 reactions, yo yo yo.

Spoiler: Yo 

I kinda hope that we get an episode in which Robby and Dipper have to work together somehow. I feel like the poor acne-ridden guy's getting a bit of a bad rep for acting like a teenager.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

I only have one thing to say about this episode. Would anyone like some dysentery?

Waddle Dee

I loved the ninth episode, ok? Like... ok, I wouldn't call it my favorite; that prize would go to The Inconveniencing. Also... is it just me, or am I seeing a lot of dislike for Dipper's crush on Wendy, and episodes centered around it? Honestly, it seems like more of a frame to me, and a pretty good one. The point of Inconveniencing was the Convenience Store, the Ghosts, and the Teenagers; Dipper's crush on Wendy was a way to get them there. A backdrop. Double Dipper was also, while framed with Wendy, not really about her or Dipper's crush on her, although it was definitely the most Wendy-focused so far. And this one was hardly even about Wendy; it just used it as a backdrop.
    Not that that even matters to me, because I love the Wendy and Dipper dynamic. I love their relationship, and I love how relatable every single part of it is. Like, Dipper is pretty much me, and everything about his relationship with Wendy is the most prominent proof of that, at least to me. And this episode definitely added to that.

But whatever, as I said, not the point of the episode. The point of the episode is that Gravity Falls is the best dang show ever, ok?
    Blendin is wonderful, and the fact that this episode was foreshadowed since Episode 1 is amazing. I also love how little changed. Like, we all thought everything was going to change. We all did, didn't we? We were expecting a huge mystery-revealing episode, and what we got was an explanation for the guy who BLENDed into the background in like the first 3 episodes(hurr hurr), and Mabel got a pig that may or may not actually ever show up again(if her Grappling Hook is any indication). And they even highlighted this. Twice in the episode, it was said super-dramatically that "Everything is different now". Nothing is different though. I lol'd.

Clicky Clicky!

I FINALLY saw the time travel episode last Friday...

I guess Mr. Waddles is going to be a recurring guy now... Also, I thought the future guy was, like, Dipper from the future, because he almost kind of looks and sounds like him.

Still, it's like, what, 8 episodes in, and already they're messing things up, in both past, present, and perhaps even the future!

Not to mention, the advertisements for that episode were really misleading. Like you get the feeling they were going to go back when when Gruncle Stan was much younger and mess stuff up, but really, he was only there for like 2 seconds, if even that. All that said, it was a fun episode, like always.

If you see this message, I came back to see everything. I miss this forum in the old days :c Vi's Avatar

man it is amazing what Source Filmaker can do!

So that's why a fan made this and it looks pretty awesome.

Man GF how I love you so much :D
    "Freeze!....Or don't, I don't care. "
    Spoiler: RAVE DANCE PARTY GO! 

Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    man it is amazing what Source Filmaker can do!

So that's why a fan made this and it looks pretty awesome.

Man GF how I love you so much :D
    Oh man, that was brilliant! I like how that announcer lady from the game (I forget her name) is in the place of Lil' Gideon's picture. Hell, all the different connections to TF2 used here is used pretty brilliantly.

I've only seen one episode of this show, and I can say that I really like it. I just wish it didn't conflict with other shows I watch at the same time
    Monster Hunter Generations | Name: Yami G | HR: ???

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    Xbox: YamiGekusu | PSN: YamiGekusu | Nintendo Network: YamiGekusu

So episode 10's been leaked

Really enjoyed this episode, as it defined the relationship between Robbie and Dipper more solidly than it had been before. The plethora of video game references were really great as well - plus, 8-bit version of the opening over the credits, though it was incomplete. Ah, tragedy.

Overall, I think it was the most consistently funny episode so far. I just hope that Mabel will get a chance to have an A plot sometime, and have Dipper doing a B plot with Soos/Stan.

(or really, a Soos-centric or Stan-centric episode would be great as well. Maybe even a Wendy-centric one?)

Also, Waddles is still in the show. Hooray for continuity!

EDIT: Also, next week's episode will see the return of Gideon! Again, this show's sense of continuity has got to be one of my favorite things about it.
    Last edited by Eruedraith; September 9th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

Gonna wait until it premieres on the Disney Channel. You know, so that Disney can see clearly that people like quality shows and not... you know.

I must say, when I saw the preview for this, I freaking LOVED the video game guy, because he actually LOOKS like he's from a video game. None of that "he's a video game character, be he's clearly animated like everyone else", this guy's pixelly, he's animated like he were in a video game, it just looks great. The nerd in me TOTALLY has a hard-on for those kinds of details, especially when so many other TV shows don't do that.

WHAT THE &&&& DID I TELL YOU JERRY? SHUT THE &&&& UP JERRY! Forum Veteran BrandonSP's Avatar

This episode was great. Street Fighter references everywhere along with standard video game episode of a cartoon stuff. Rumble Mcskirmish was an amazing video game character with his bad english and overcheesiness. The credits were just really great too. Best episode so far in my opinion.
    Spoiler: Codes, Steam, and Internetometer 

I'm so excited for the next episode, I'll be waiting until Friday as well, but just what I saw from the preview looked awesome. I can't wait to see the Street Fighter references, speaking of video game references anyone else see notice this? The first thing is probably just a coincidence, but it's the second thing that's really cool.

Clobberin Monster

Even though I don't even play Street Fighter, I liked all the video game fighting references like "standing still" and the car mini-game.

YOU HIT LIKE A GIRL, WHO WAS ALSO A BABY!

Shout out to the Wayback machine Ruane's Avatar

I liked the many video game references here, but I laughed so hard when the show suddenly turned into Streets of Rage. I never realized how crazy it looks to walk down the street with a long pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraKnight View Post
    Rune's whole thing is shovels. So yeah, he'd be able to find a way.
    This sig has been brought to you by PokeMarioGuy.

Luck is all in the head. Unless you're Oswald. Then you're just AWESOME. Chris the Kirby's Avatar
    Uh... totally not plotting revenge against Mickey?

"YOU KILLED MY FATHER AGAIN!!" XD I think we can all agree that Fight Fighters is one of the best episodes in the series so far.
    O-S-W, A-L-D,
    R-A-BB-I-T!

Clobberin Monster

Episode 10's secret message is hilarious.

SORRY, DIPPER, BUT YOUR WENDY IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE.

I JUST saw Fight Fighters, and...
    Well, let me put it like this, I am a HUGE nerd over video games. I am also one of those guys who don't like how video games are usually dealt with in cartoons like this, i.e. they're in the game even though it doesn't look like a game, the characters don't look like they're from a game, the implication that video games are bad for you, etc.

First off, the first two problems were solved with the games that were presented, in that they actually LOOK like games. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if a game called "Fight Fighters" actually exists, it's that real to me! And Rumble McSkirmish, it's amazing how detailed, and yet pixelly he is, THE perfect representation of a video game character in the real world!

Something else that annoys me in episodes like these is that the video games in them are clear carbon copies of the original games (Frogger, Pac-Man, etc.) and yet for whatever reason, they're not really them. This is obviously a licensing issue, and video games can be expensive to license and use in your show (hence why I have so much respect, and excitement, for Wreck-It Ralph). Here, it didn't bother me so much, since there were so many other awesome things happening.

Getting back to Rumble, again, I LOVE his design. An obvious shout-out to Street Fighter's Ryu, as well as they really corny dialogue from video games of that era, his overall look reminds me of Scott Pilgrim, particularly Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game. It almost feels like, if "Fight Fighters" were made now, it'd totally make sense, given how video games are very niche-driven anyway.

That being said, I don't care for Dipper's relationship with Wendy, nor to I like Robbie all that much. That is, I get he's a jerk, but I also get that he's there to show that he's a bad boyfriend for Wendy to be with, and it gives you the impression that Dipper deserves to take him down a peg, and that's kind of lame... Which is why I liked the ending, it's like Robbie and Dipper, even though they still hate each other, reached a sort of compromise when it comes to Wendy. Even though it DOES bug me that they're kind of treating Wendy as an object to be won (especially Robbie, who didn't even bother listening to her saying she was going camping with her family), it doesn't bother me that much since she's such a dull character compared to everyone else.

Then there's Soos. He took "going inside the video game" to a whole new episode of hilarity! Also, anyone else reminded of Troll 2 when they saw "Nort" (hint hint )

More Mr. Waddles, and Grunkle Stan and Wendy's scenes were good, too, but then again, Grunkle Stan IS my favorite character. And the closing credits sequence rivals "the talking pelican" as one of the best in the series, IMO.

So yeah, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5. Probably one of my new favorites, though mostly for the video game stuff.
    Last edited by DededeMan202; September 21st, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Should be noted that the video game stuff was done by the same guy who did the pixel work for Scott Pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Should be noted that the video game stuff was done by the same guy who did the pixel work for Scott Pilgrim.
    Bryan Lee O'Malley? Well not WONDER they look so similar. And I freaking love it!

So episode 11's been leaked and features the return of Little Gideon, with extra creepy psycho this time (and a Harry Potter reference, even!).

Stan in this episode was just all-around gold - pretty much everything he did was great. Also, apparently Gideon knows about Dipper having the book now? I guess this solidifies him as recurring villain, then. Also, I liked the callback to the first episode with the woodpecker attacking/flirting with Dipper.

And wow I feel bad for Gideon's mom. Poor girl.

Anyways, next episode is the Halloween episode. Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Eruedraith; September 28th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Dang, I'm such a freaking procrastinator, talking about last week's episode a mere hour before the new one premieres... Oh well, better late then never.

I really liked this episode, because it really solidified Gideon as the primary antagonist of the series, and an actual threat to the main characters. Robbie and Pacifica are also antagonists, buy they feel more like real-life, school-going, "slice-of-life" antagonists who I don't really care for in most situations, and even still, they're more specifically antagonistic towards Dipper and Mabel respectively, whereas Gideon is antagonistic not only towards BOTH Dipper and Mabel, but towards Grunkle Stan as well (he says he swore vengence on the entire Pines family, but those guys are the ones he's really after). Even though he doesn't have his powers anymore, he still has a lot of influence over many people, being both rich and "adorable" enough (to the townsfolk, anyway) to get what he wants. His entitlement and being spoiled MIGHT be what turned him down the road of evil, actually... Not to mention, I love that we actually see his mother in this episode, and it's actually very telling how she is around her family, in that it all seems very dysfunctional... Then again, I also find it hilarious that Gideon's dad, Bud, just goes along with what Gideon says and it's cool about everything.

I also find it interesting that, for 11 episodes so far, Grunkle Stan has seen NONE of the supernatural elements that go on in Gravity Falls, including here when Gideon has him cornered, then proceeds to kick him out of the Mystery Shack after he starts laughing uncontrollably thanks for Dipper and Mable. I notice this because he keeps denying anything weird happens in Gravity Falls, yet he seems to have lived there for a long time, so you think he'd at least be aware of it... This, along with the fact that Gideon implies there's something unique/special about the Mystery Shack itself, further hints at Grunkle Stan's secret being that he knows more than he lets on...

Now about Dipper and Mabel in this episode. Upon reflection, I feel that this episode shows just how much more mature Mabel is than Dipper. Some of you might think it strange that the person who wears nacho earrings and obsesses over a pig to be more mature that a clearly intelligent young boy, but really, intelligence has nothing to do with maturity. In fact, I'd say the fact that she's okay with all her strangeness alone speaks volumes about how mature she is. We also get hintings of her maturity when she gives advice to Dipper about what to do about Wendy or how she doesn't mind that Pacifica still think she's weird and stupid, but it really comes through here more than ever. See, Dipper often teases Mabel about how much better he is ay many things, like Checkers, Chess, etc. When she finds out she's actually slightly taller than Dipper, she decides to do what he did to her, which I feel like she's right within her mind to do, seeing as he constantly teases her over other things. Unfortunately, while she's okay with the fact Dipper is better at her in some things (though it does make her sad a little), Dipper can't stand it one bit and immediately uses the crystals he found in in the woods to make him taller so that she'd stop. When Mabel finds out they start fighting, and their continued fighting is what keeps them from fighting back against Gideon, until Dipper finally confronts Mabel on why she's suddenly acting like this... Hearing why she did this... makes Dipper realize he's kind of a jerk and somewhat to blame for all this.

I actually really like this angle. It shows that the supposed smart guy still has a lot of growing up to do while the silly one is more flexible and "wise" (in a sense) compared to him. Also, I believe I read this somewhere but, while they ARE twins, Mabel is slightly older by a few minutes. Not sure if this has anything to do with this, but still.

So, everything else... I found it hilarious that Stan didn't fall for Gideon's trap at the beginning of the episode (instead of signing the contract, he tells Gideon to suck a lemon! XD ). It actually feels like a call-back to Irrational Treasure, wherein Pacifica had Stan write about how awesome she is only for him to write how she stinks. Of course, at the very END of this episode, during the credits, we see that Stan pretty much acts this way towards ANY random award give-away at his doorstep, ironic since he's so greedy.

Also, Soos, not much to say about him, but still, he's just as funny as ever! Not to mention, the parts where Gideon fixes his hair, or when Dipper and Mabel crawl over him, or his weakness being that his ticklish, is all good stuff. STILL love that he's voiced by Thurop van Orman!

In honor of Halloween, I decided to watch a mini-marathon of Gravity Falls episodes, including the Summerween episode.

It was pretty darn good! Really liked it! ESPECIALLY the Summerween Trickster! I've just got so much to say about this episode...

First off, I'm of the opinion that you're never too old to go trick-or-treating. I just don't do it anymore because I'm lazy. I mean, come on, free-freaking-candy, yo! I figured Dipper didn't want to go trick-or-treating because of Wendy, not to mention the "resolution" between Dipper and Mabel about "trick-or-treating while you can" felt a little forced. Not to mention, I could only WISH for a Summerween where I live. Any of you live in Oregon? Maybe you guys should start that tradition.

Glad we got to see Mabel's friends again. More friendly recurring characters are fine by me!

I knew Grunkle Stan was going to succeed in scaring kids just by being himself... Also, did Stan gain weight? He looks fatter than usual.

Finally, the Summerween Trickster. He was definitely a lot scarier and more awesome at first. The outfit, the voice, the way he creeped around... Hell, when he actually SWALLOWED that kid, I was genuinely shocked! I figured that he was going to get out somehow, but still, that was intense, ESPECIALLY for Disney Channel! I think it's after he started chasing after the group that things got less scary. He looked less creepy and more like a jelly bean with arms and legs... Which actually kind of make sense, considering he's made of the discarded candy of Summerween. I kind of liked how there was a satisfying end with him, that he was glad that Soos enjoyed eating the candy he's made of (even after eating him, then Soos eating the Trickster from the inside out).

The recorded episode got cut off before the credits, so I don't know what happened there... I'll probably look it up later. Overall, good episode.

Thread Information