Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravity Falls

Luck is all in the head. Unless you're Oswald. Then you're just AWESOME. Chris the Kirby's Avatar
    Uh... totally not plotting revenge against Mickey?

Re: Gravity Falls

To quote Mabel: "You DO love her! Love, love, lovelovelove!!" This show is just amazing, and blows all other shows away into the abyss. My favorite episode is still the pilot, since it had the most amount of random humor. I hope August 10th isn't as far away as it seems! SCHMEBULOCK!!!!

On another note, has anyone found the Mystery Man in episodes 4, 5, and 6? I know where he is in the first 3 episodes...

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultrakirby64 View Post
    Maybe the reason it's taking a break is because it keeps getting leaked on the internet. So everyone watches it there and the show isn't getting as many ratings. So Disney might think no one likes the show and decide to cancel it.
    Uh, I... don't think so...
    Plenty of new shows get leaked in the internet and they still keep going (Korra is the most recent example I can think of). Heck, even Disney itself uploads the episodes on the internet and they put them on iTunes for download.
    It probably is just a normal break, no need to jump to conclusions.

As for the episode... yeah, I didn't like it that much either. Dipper's plot really bored me but the Mabel sub plot was great. As was the ending! Grunkle Stan didn't see that coming, I bet!

I accidentally saw that opening when someone I was subscribed to uploaded it to their YouTube account. Then I heard someone on a Podcast I listen to say some good things about it, like it's a cartoony cross between X Files and and Twin Peaks...

I never watched either of those shows, but it still sounds awesome. I also like the animation, very fluid. The style's nice, too... sort of. Not to mention, I found out that the guy who created this show used to be a writer for a personal favorite show of mine, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack on Cartoon Network! So yeah, it definitely SOUNDS like something I'd be all over, but procrastination's always been a problem of mine, and I've had a bunch of other things I've been meaning to get to... hopefully I can find it on YouTube.

So I'm just gonna say that I absolutely adore this show. After hearing that it was made by the same guy who created Flapjack, it made me love it more, since I actually enjoyed Flapjack too. Usually most mystery cartoons like these are easily predictable for me, but I have to admit, there were a few instances that I got stumped on. But nonetheless, love the show.

And I've said this in the past, but if the character Flapjack were ever split into two different personalities, it'd be Dipper and Mabel; the serious adventurous side and the zany and happy-go-lucky side.

When someone says, "What's up," don't tell 'em about your butt. Forum Veteran MooseFondue's Avatar

So when I first heard about this show, I admit that I was pretty skeptical about it. It didn't seem particularly interesting or unique or anything.
    But I'm happy to say I'm wrong.
    I watched the episodes online and was pretty impressed. The animation is very nice, the humor is sufficiently fresh, and it seems to be setting itself up for some sort of larger overall plot what with the journals and whatnot. While I appreciate shows with one-off episodes that don't have an overall story, I find that the ones with a larger plot keep me interested more.
    So I look forward to more.

So apparently, last night was a "new episode". It wasn't advertised at all, instead they advertised the new episode coming next week. Either way, I was lucky enough to be watching Toy Story 3 to know to watch it right afterward.

So now it gets into awkward territory when Dipper begins to have the hots for Wendy (who, in retrospect, looks a lot like the Wendy from the fast food franchise), and I don't usually care for these kinds of plotlines, because obviously the younger kid doesn't have a chance but awkwardly tries to impress the older girl anyway. You know it's interesting, I thought Wendy would just be a sort of normal, non-believer as opposed to Soos, who DOES believe in the supernatural, or Grunle Stan, who claims he doesn't believe in it but I'm willing to bet he's hiding something (that's something I'd like to get into another time), but by the end of the episode, both she AND her friends have witnessed the supernatural at work. Makes me wonder if they're going to tell anyone, or realize no one will believe them or are too embarrassed by the whole event they'll promise never to speak of it again...

Speaking of Wendy's friends, they're actually pretty neat. I particularly like Thompson, the good-at-nothing, game-for-anything type of guy, and that dude with the black hair, who seems like a would-be adversary for Wendy's affections if Dipper actually had a chance. I wouldn't mind seeing these guys again.

The thing with the ghosts being convenience store owners who died from the "hippety-hop" teenagers were listening to is tragically hilarious. In face, I like how this show had the guts to go into all these spooky, macabre places on the DISNEY Channel of all places, especially since it all serves the purpose of the story (and occasionally for "Rule of Funny").

Final thoughts: a good episode, I enjoyed it, but then again, I've enjoyed pretty much every episode I've seen (even though I haven't seen every episode yet).

One last thing I wanted to bring up. While I nitpicked about Dipper's voice (it doesn't sound like a little boy's voice at all), there's another nitpick that doesn't bother me nearly as much... What kind of name is Dipper, anyway?

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

That wasn't a new episode. That episode aired three weeks ago.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

They said it was a new episode right before it and during the airing the episode... Well, regardless, I'm catching up.

I watched Gravity Falls for the first time tonight. I must say, I am impressed. I was laughing throughout the show. Of course the first episode I see is the one with that creepy Gideon kid. ;p
    The next one I saw was the one where Dipper wants be become a man.
    This show has some great humor and I enjoy it. I might have to watch some more now! Uncle Stan cracks me up.

Actually, it's Great Uncle, or "Gruncle" Stan... Also, that "Gideon" episode is the only one left I haven't seen, but I want to see it badly, because supposedly, the Gideon character is voiced by Thurop van Orman, who created (and voiced the titular character of) The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, who incidentally, the creator of this show, Alex Hirsch, wrote for!

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

I've seen all the episodes. And honestly, I liked it. It has a good sense of humor, without treating its target audience (children) as braindead idiots. Nor does it try to cover up all the wrongs in the world. Gruncle Stan is a con-man, having made counterfeits with the kids, which is a risky joke, and I felt it paid off well. There are hoaxes out there for monsters, and there are people who genuinely wish harm upon you.

It's rather interesting, there are a lot of dark themes to the show, but it's hidden somewhat by the humor.

Going off what SSBBrawler said, there was something Stan said in an episode [The Gideon one] and something was mentioned about coffee from Colombia. And he goes to say, "Colombia? I went to jail when I was there before!" I thought "Omg, lmao, that is so funny that they put this in a show like that." Of course, younger kids wouldn't get it, but it's not total adult humor as to where it's hidden sexual/inappropriate meanings. So I thought that was pretty funny that he said that [and that the people put that in the show].

Also yes, Dededeman, Gideon is creepy. Just telling you that right now...

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

Honestly, I find Gedeon a bit weak of a character.
    He's turned evil because of his love towards Mabel. That's alright, it's not like that's bad by itself. But really makes me dislike it is that he's 12-ish. Despite it seeming like utter love craziness, I honestly think he's too young for it to be actual love. I think it's more like a kid and his favorite toy. They want to possess it, and they make a tantrum about it if someone takes it away, maybe hitting the person taking it away, but after a while, it fades away. Of course, I know that's not the case in the show, but that's just how it felt to me really, as in, there's no real depth to his emotions.

SSBBrawler,
    I feel Gideon was just supposed to represent a creepy stalker. He wanted Mabel, so he pursued her in a creepy stalkerish way. Once he got her to go on that first date, he kept wanting more and more to the point of marriage. I think you are right about him not being in love, but he was totally infatuated and it turned bad. Once Dipper stepped in, Gideon raged, and his true self came out.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    Also yes, Dededeman, Gideon is creepy. Just telling you that right now...
    I didn't mention if Gideon was creepy... Although, I'm sure, knowing Thurop van Orman, he gives the character his own personal spin...

Edit: For those of you who aren't convinced that this isn't just a kids show (and that the Disney Channel totally doesn't realize what they got into):

...Yeah...
    Last edited by DededeMan202; August 6th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    Edit: For those of you who aren't convinced that this isn't just a kids show (and that the Disney Channel totally doesn't realize what they got into):

-slenderman photoshop-

...Yeah...

???? yeah??? I think someone with Photoshop got you good as the official version doesn't have this???

Also, the newest episode got leaked, and boy I really liked it!

I really hope that Mable's friends become regulars or something. Also, I don't know why I found Dipper's birthmark hilarious I guess I'm just dumb like that.

Also, I felt bad for Dipper #2. Like whoa, it actually made me sad :c

All in all, Double Dipper was really fun.

Wait, leaked? You mean you can watch it now somehow? Not that I want to watch it, I just want to know, if you can watch THAT episode, where can I watch the fourth one with Lil' Gideon?

Also, I found this awesome fan-made song based on the show, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm7bTvTtXJg

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Legally you can get Episode 4 for a couple bucks on iTunes.

The leaks are pirated copies of the episodes, and of course you could pirate any episode of the show that's been released (but please no posting links to that stuff here).
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    Legally you can get Episode 4 for a couple bucks on iTunes.
    Well, yeah, I know that... But I'd rather not get individual episodes. And if I want the whole season, I have to wait for the season to actually END to get a good price on it, otherwise I'd pay the same amount as I would just downloading them individually.

Saw the newest episode. Finally secrets are being revealed! I really liked it. Hope they follow up on what happened.

Luck is all in the head. Unless you're Oswald. Then you're just AWESOME. Chris the Kirby's Avatar
    Uh... totally not plotting revenge against Mickey?

What "secrets are being revealed"? I don't remember anything like that happening...

Oh, and I felt really bad for Paper Jam Dipper.
    O-S-W, A-L-D,
    R-A-BB-I-T!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris the Kirby View Post
    What "secrets are being revealed"? I don't remember anything like that happening...

Oh, and I felt really bad for Paper Jam Dipper.
    I think he means he saw this weeks new episode that was leaked early. It's really great that this show is finally back, the newest episode (that's actually been aired) is probably one of my favorites, the only thing holding it back was Mabel's plot being pointless and kinda boring. The clone plot (and especially Paper Jam Dipper) was hilarious though.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

I believe that he was talking about
    us getting a peek at the past of Gravity Falls, and also the mysterious silhouetted mission control guy in Episode 8. I'm not gonna start calling anything 'secrets revealed' until we see just what is up with Grunkle Stan, however.

I'm rather liking the turn that this show is taking. Hoping like hell that the whole Dipper/Wendy doesn't turn out well, as I just don't think it'd work very well, but it's working pretty okay as a plot device (so long as they don't overuse it). I'm also really enjoying Mabel's group of girlfriends - highly amusing. Kinda hoping that they get at least a spotlight episode.

Speaking of, I love how this show's background characters are constant. It adds to the show more than I first realized (this is what I disliked about MLP: side characters are used, then forgotten, whereas in GF, they get used again and again. Maybe not in centric roles, but the fact that they keep showing up is pretty great.)
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

I certainly hope Mabel's two friends become regulars, the show could use some more regular faces but at the same time, it's nice that the main cast is so small and close-knit

At the very least I hope they have an episode every so often.

And episode 8 was fantastic oh man
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

So yeah, the new episode, Double Dipped, was pretty fun.
    Dipper is pretty much a male Twilight Sparkle, only less of a bookworm. Also, I was pretty much with Wendy when Dipper revealed his birthmark (seriously, "Dipper"? but now it all makes sense). I actually like how the clones show no interest in being jealous or taking over, but only do so AFTER Dipper strays from "the plan", because dammit, the plan is ABSOLUTE!!!

Also, Pacifica Northwest: another alpha-&&&&& whom we're meant to hate. Whoop-de-&&&&ing-do. Otherwise a really entertaining episode.

In other news, a sneak peak at this week's new episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10o-EzVlzY

Thread Information