Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

The Villager of Death

Re: Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    I'm a little worried by the prominent use of Skullgirls in the video. The character designs were highly sexual but all of the characters were very well developed. They weren't dumb airheads meant purely for fanservice.

This has potential but I'm just hoping it doesn't end up being extreme.
    Well look where we are now.

Cute Little Poot

To add another example, in Bayonetta, one of my favorite games hand down, the Joy angels get killed in an extremely sexual way with the stone horse. The other male angels don�t get treated this way. They don�t make orgasmic screams as they are about to die. I never liked that part in the game.
    Last edited by germany; September 16th, 2015 at 03:25 PM.

To vex the world rather than divert it. Villerar's Avatar

Has anyone watched the first instalment in Positive Female Characters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmj2yJNUmQ

Quote Originally Posted by Villerar View Post
    Has anyone watched the first instalment in Positive Female Characters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmj2yJNUmQ
    Yeah. I played Sword & Sworcery a couple years ago and really liked it, with the protagonist in particular standing out as a good example of the kinda character that's a woman for no real reason, so I'm glad to see her getting some praise.

I'll be looking forward to the next installments of this series.

The Villager of Death

What I don't understand is how a blank slate, no backstory, no motive character is a "positive female character." So are Samus and Bayonetta bad despite having a backstory, motives, and character development just because they're sexualized?
    Last edited by The Villager of Death; April 20th, 2015 at 01:43 PM.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Villager of Death View Post
    What I don't understand is how a blank slate, no backstory, no motive character is a "positive female character." So are Samus and Bayonetta bad despite having a backstory, motives, and character development just because they're sexualized?
    Well, Samus (pre-Fusion/Other M) was kinda a blank slate.

Blank slate women are positive because most silent protagonists are men.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    Well, Samus (pre-Fusion/Other M) was kinda a blank slate.

Blank slate women are positive because most silent protagonists are men.

Wouldn't that mean that all female characters in video games are positive since most lead characters in games are male? And what about Chell from Portal? FEmale player characters in harvest moon? Female leads in pokemon games?

Chell, Harvest Moon girls, and Pokemon Trainers are fine too.

Although Harvest Moon Protagonist/Pokemon Trainer are different because those are characters you choose the gender of. That's a bit different from characters that are canonically female.

The point is that most developers, when they make a silent protagonist, make them a man (or maybe give you the option of picking). Samus, Chell, and other similar characters show that the creators specifically chose to make a character that happens to be a woman, when they could've easily just not thought about it and made the character a man.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

It also delves into issues like why silent protagonists are a thing to begin with. Like, the term "power fantasy" gets brought up a lot in feminist rhetoric, but that is essentially what the point of a silent protagonist, a character that the player can easily slot themselves into in order to fantasize that they're more powerful than they actually are.

The reason that silent female protagonists are so praised is simply that they're so rare. Female video game players aren't allowed as many power fantasies as males are, since very few power fantasy characters resemble them, specifically in terms of gender.

Also, and I haven't been keeping up with this series in particular so I don't know what Anita's specific thoughts are, but most feminists I know consider Bayonetta to be a great character, and a sort of power fantasy in and of herself (I believe the story goes that her character designer was a woman and Bayo's design is based off of what she wanted to be or something?).
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

I know Sarkeesian once made a video dismissive of Bayonetta, pointing to her (or more specifically, ad campaigns for her game) as an example of sexualization. Dunno if she changed her mind since then.

Bayonetta is kinda a Rorschach Test. There's plenty of stuff you can use to interpret her as either positive or negative.

Personally I think Bayonetta is different from most sexualized women because she's in on it. She isn't just a woman who dresses in a revealing way for no reason. She actually has a personality to match her character design. It's really stupid when shy or stoic girls are dressed like strippers, and Bayonetta's not like that.

Not to mention that she's also much more dominating and aggressive than most scantily clad women in fiction.

Samus and Bayonetta aren't bad, but the sexualization bums me out. It's as if that's the price that needs to be paid for us having a good female character - she needs to be sexualized. Bayonetta is better about this since, as SNF said, that's the point of her character and she owns her sexuality, but it's still irksome.

not that you'd know though, since your gender has been catered to your entire life, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop being so contrarian

On the subject of Chiff's image, why did you delete your previous post when you bumped the topic with this new discussion, VoD?

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
    not that you'd know though, since your gender has been catered to your entire life, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop being so contrarian
    So being forced to sign a contract saying the government can whisk me away at any time is catering to my gender? Being told I have to "act like a man" my entire life is being catered to? Being forced to play sports because "It's what boys do"? Being surrounded by images of hulking men with massive muscles in media? Being denied access to game design classes since they're only offered to females?

Yeah, "catered."

So being forced to sign a contract saying the government can whisk me away at any time is catering to my gender? Being told I have to "act like a man" my entire life is being catered to? Being forced to play sports because "It's what boys do"? Being surrounded by images of hulking men with massive muscles in media? Being denied access to game design classes since they're only offered to females?

Yeah, "catered."
    I meant more in the way that, as a man, you've never had to worry about not being represented in the media that you like. So you don't know what worrying about it feels like.

Also lol if you think all this stuff is nearly as bad as what minorities get. seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about

The Villager of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
    I meant more in the way that, as a man, you've never had to worry about not being represented in the media that you like. So you don't know what worrying about it feels like.

Also lol if you think all this stuff is nearly as bad as what minorities get. seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about
    1. Male nerds on television.
    2. I never said that.

what about male nerds on television

are you really suggesting media doesnt have male nerds

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

1. Male nerds on television.
    2. I never said that.
    How the hell are male nerds on TV enough to say that men aren't represented in media? Men are massively cast as main roles and leads in, well, practically everything. Sure, they might not represent 'TRUE NERDS' or boil it down to stereotypes, but it's not really harmful so who gives a &&&&?
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

The Villager of Death

I read that as "Not being represented the way you want to". My mistake.

Also, wikipedia has 144 articles listed under female videogame characters compared to the male 293. Thought you might want to know that.

And why I said Bayonetta and Samus are "bad" is because Anita slanders both of them.
    Last edited by The Villager of Death; April 22nd, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Also, wikipedia has 144 articles listed under female videogame characters compared to the male 293. Thought you might want to know that.
    So there are only 437 video games in existence? Nice. Wikipedia isn't a comprehensive list of everything, nor are video games all of media.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

There are also issues on Wikipedia with lists according to gender or sex. Often females are marked, while men aren't. See here for an example: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/op...novelists.html This is not the case for video game characters according to gender, but it is the case for some other game character lists, which are much more imbalanced as proven by a quick perusal. So they might very well be much more articles about male characters than those figures would indicate. Or they might be in other lists.

Being forced to play sports because "It's what boys do"?
    In this case, I suppose that you oppose Christina Hoff Sommers's view that boys (generically) like sports and rough play more than consuming media as a biological fact?

Being denied access to game design classes since they're only offered to females?
    Wut? Are you serious? Even if these are female-only classes, I bet these are run by special organisations and the like. So they wouldn't be regular education. Because if a regular educational institution only offers a specific subject to one sex or gender, I bet that would be illegal.

The Villager of Death

Ok, I just wanna know: Who put the fedora on my avatar?

And I meant to but LIBRARY game design classes, but editing is hard what with the forums barfing up all over the place.

I'm not a fedorate in the fedora insertion. Nor a confedorate. But I see you already noted it in the site issues.

Okay, so you meant that some libraries are offering game design classes to women specifically? Do you have any more info about these libraries or about the initiative?
    Last edited by Villerar; April 24th, 2015 at 08:52 AM.

Responsible for Wario's Future Execution LeftyGreenMario's Avatar
    Wherever your imagination wants it to be.

I'm a female and a pretty hard-core asexual feminist. I put out there "asexual" because I'm the type who's repulsed by anything remotely sexual. Anyhow, I actually like Bayonetta's character, which is pretty surprising for me. I don't appreciate the unnecessary camera shots, but it's easy to forgive that since the game is so utterly ridiculous in a good way. That being said, Bayonetta isn't objectified. She's empowerment. She's self-aware of all of this, but I feel like any man who wants to get close to her would probably get shot and maimed.

If there has to be sexualized women in media, Bayonetta is good.

Ok, I just wanna know: Who put the fedora on my avatar?

And I meant to but LIBRARY game design classes, but editing is hard what with the forums barfing up all over the place.
    Context is everything. As Villerar stated it's most likely a special class that addresses the gender gap within game design, helping young women ease in to a field dominated by men, which may seem intimidating for women.
    Is corn grass? Can you make fancy headdresses with it?

The Villager of Death

I haven't played Beyond Good and Evil, so I'm not gonna touch this one.

What I want to know is why Anita has released only 3 video series out of 10 planned (excluding the positive female characters) over 2 years. At this rate, the series won't be done till 2020, and let's not forget Anita made over 20 times her initial goal, so I don't see any reason for the massive delays.
    Spoiler: Also I thought this brought up a pretty good point 

What I want to know is why Anita has released only 3 video series out of 10 planned (excluding the positive female characters) over 2 years. At this rate, the series won't be done till 2020, and let's not forget Anita made over 20 times her initial goal, so I don't see any reason for the massive delays.
    Spoiler: Also I thought this brought up a pretty good point 
    1. videos are very time-consuming to make (and injecting more money into it doesn't magically make the process faster)
    2. women can be sexist

try harder
    Last edited by Chiffon; June 4th, 2015 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information