Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defect

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Defect

"Cameo Schveltzvergen," Cameo replied with an easy smile. "Nice to meet you, too." As she cut another piece of food off, she eyed Clare, trying to find some other telling bit of information on her appearance, but nothing came up. Well, there was always the mundane - and boring - approach, she guessed. Socialization, talking, whatever they called it. "So, Clare, what do you do around town? You a part of the militia, too, or...?" Honestly, she doubted that the woman was, judging from her personality, but then, she'd been wrong before, and the military held all types.

year of the salmon Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

"Cameo? Right." She nodded decisively, locking the woman's name away in her memory. "And no, not part of the military or anything. Actually, I don't do much. I've just been bumming off the cash I brought from home ever since I got here." It was a little shameful to admit that, but she managed not to display any of her embarrassment, luckily. Or maybe not so luckily - if there was one thing Clare was good at besides spearing things which got in her way, it was controlling her emotions and keeping calm under even the most extreme or unusual of circumstances. So there was no luck involved, really. "And yourself? You said you walked around for a while, but you obviously don't do that any more."

closer and closer
    we're crashing ships in the night

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar

Came gave a little wry smile. "I work odd jobs. I can fight, I can lift heavy objects I can fix stuff - sorta, I guess - and in a pinch, I can sing." As much as I try to avoid being that crazy lady on the sidewalk singing in Russian and German for money. Hell, doesn't anyone know the classics around here? I should have been applauded for my masterful renditions, not ignored!

Or attacked!

Or arrested!

Quite frankly, the whole business with the dog wasn't my damn fault!

A silence fell, and Clare went back to eating. Her steak was rapidly cooling, and if there was one thing in this world that she hated - okay, wasn't entirely fond of - it was cold meat. Having quickly polished off her food, and feeling pleasantly full, she addressed Cameo once again. "So you sing? I think I would be interested in hearing that sometime." There was no sort of challenge or anything in her voice, merely a sort of... bored interest, if that was a thing. Not much really excited Clare - barring adventures and the occasional fight - let alone hearing someone who was practically a stranger sing, but at the very least it would pass the time.

closer and closer

Cameo shrugged. "Eh. What the hell, right?" She took a swig of water, washing down the last traces of her food from her mouth and throat, rolled her head about her shoulders for a moment, and hummed a few bars.

Then, she belted out a sudden stanza in a deep, rich voice that flooded into the room like an avalanche of sound.

"Hear then, you mighty Gods
    Your guilt is abolished: the hero takes it upon himself
    The Nibelungs’ slavery is at an end, and Alberich shall again be free
    This Ring I give to you, wise sisters of the watery deeps
    Melt it down and keep it free from harm!"

She swallowed again, briefly. "Wagner," Cameo said, and took another bite.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

Clive noticed that Claire had started talking about him to another girl. Worried, he said to her "Me Clive. Clive strong." Reassured that he presented himself well enough to his usual standards, he turned his focus back to the reddish soup. He dipped a finger into it, and sucked on it. He apparently liked it, as he then picked up the bowl and drank from it. He gulped it all down, wiped his mouth on his sleeve (Or gauntlets if he's wearing his armour) and started drinking the water, when he spat it back into his glass. He raised the glass to his eye, watching the bubbles fizzle from the bottom of the cup. He took a sniff of it, checked to see if everyone else had the strange bubbling water, and drunk it in one gulp.

He looked back at the plate, there was only the greenery left. Clive disliked greenery, so he started pushing it around his plate with his finger. He looked around the table to see who else was part of the group. It was then that the other girl started singing, that made Clive freeze. He listened to it the duration, and after the song had ended, it took him a few moments to say "You have nice voice."
    Spoiler: Quotes 

Cameo blinked at Clive, a little surprised that the brutish-looking man had been able to crank out a full sentence like that. Okay, not totally complete, he was missing an 'a' in the middle, but...

"Well, thank you," she said after a few slow chews of her food. "My mother was a singer, actually. I guess I got it from her." Well, as much as I can tell, anyways. My dad might have been a singer, too, but then again... he was kind of a &&&&&&&, so that doesn't matter. "So... Clive, yes? What do you do around town? Why do you think you got selected for this?"

Kurt, standing just outside of the door, had heard Cameo singing. It was a familiar sounding song, but he couldn't place his finger on it. He was unable to hear Cameo state that is Wagner, so he thought about it for a while. He thought for a moment to go back inside and ask about it, but he didn't have the gall to, afraid to snapped at by Cameo or anyone else who might know it. Frowning to himself, he walked further outside, and drew his sword.

The sword gave off a faint green glow in the dimming sunlight as it began to sink on the horizon. He flipped a switch on a metal band near his left elbow, and a transparent orange energy shield appeared, covering most of his forearm. He took a battle stance, focusing on a spot in the distance, imagining an enemy was just in front of him. With precise form, he made a diagonal swing downwards and to his left, swung his left arm up, acting as though he had just blocked an incoming attack, then spun on his heels to cut the fictional attacker. He resumed practicing. Anyone watching would be able to see his skill and understand why he was selected for this mission.

Thank you, you useless reptile. Forum Veteran Doofenshmirtz's Avatar

Colton found all of his teammates fascinating.
    "From what I can gather, we have 2 cold-blooded and analyzing girls in group. Interestingly, one of them can sing! Shows you can't judge people from the offset, but I think I will try to minimize interactions with them... don't wanna get on their bad side." Also of note was Clive and his unique way of speech. An unique fellow, if anything.
    Seeing Kurt leave through the door, Colton excused himself and followed him.

Outside, Colton observed Kurt's swordsmanship. He certainly was good with the sword. Clearly he was instructed well, though Colton wondered if this was because he was a natural or because of experience. Only one way to find out, yes?
    "Mr. Kurt? I must say your ability with the sword is impeccable! May I inquire on how you learned to brandish your sword? Who was your teacher? Or were you self-taught?"

Kurt was caught offguard by Colton suddenly appearing. Leaping forwards a bit, his concentration now shattered, he started to babble slightly, managing to blurt out, "I-I'm mostly self-taught." He paused for a moment, before adding, "Except, I guess the soldiers of the army are my teachers, because I watched them when I was young to learn."

Now, visibly shaken, he thought to himself, Ooooh! He probably doesn't care! He's going to think me as a simpleton!

He quickly tried to change the subject, and extended his arm for a handshake. "Anyway, I don't believe I caught your name?" he asked.

"Right, so Asher, I believe that I haven't caught your story yet. I've heard that you're an energy cell manufacturer, and that sort of skill doesn't strike me as the first thing that people look for when they want someone to take part in this sort of mission." He paused for a moment to finish up the last of his food, and continued with, "But I'm sure you have something that sets you apart from all others."

He yawned. Richard could already feel the serum taking its toll on him. "Sorry about that, Asher. My day was busy enough as it was, and a relaxation serum on top of that certainly isn't helping me stay awake. I am interested in your story though."

Colton smiled and shook Kurt's hand.
    "Strong grip, as expected because of his built. Though he's visibly shaken... I wonder why?" Colton thought, letting go of Kurt's hand.
    "My name is Colton Barnes. Pleased to meet you." He paused a moment and took a step back.

"Don't be nervous, my fellow comrade! I'm just going to stay here and watch you practice. Go on, do your thing, don't mind me." Colton said as he stiffed a yawn, not because of boredom but because of the relaxation serum, which had started to have an effect on him.

Kurt started to move again with the intent of practicing, but knowing that someone was watching him made him feel a little uncomfortable. For the first few moves, he was apparent he was still out of his groove. However, as he began to focus on pretending Colton was not there, he started to be back in the swing of the things, executing moves in a fluid motion that came only with much practice.

As he continued to practice, he drew his parrying knife, and made small, but strong motions, practicing basic parries and counters against close-range attacks. He continued to practice, and as the moon slowly began to illuminate the area, through his bangs his brow began to glisten with a blueish tint of the light.

With a sense of finality, he made one last slash with his katana, then drew both of his blades and deactivated his energy shield. He was quietly panting, and then sat down to rest. At this point, he had completely forgotten that Colton was still with him.

Edward, meanwhile, had finished his steak and greens, but he was just kinda stirring the tomato soup around. Saying that the food was drugged wasn't exactly a good way to ease his paranoia, and he'd decided that the soup was the most likely candidate for holding these drugs. Or the water. Because, y'know, the mayor could totally be in on that whole save-the-supplies thing, and maybe the drugs are actually poison. See, he had to tell us there were drugs, because otherwise they'd notice the odd taste and be suspicious. But as long as he said it was just sleep-stuff, they wouldn't question it, and everyone would be poisoned and die forever. But if he didn't eat, he risked getting up late, which was pretty terrible, so he'd have to find some way to test for poison. Most poisons had no taste, so that would be difficult. He didn't smell any almonds, either. Well, maybe he'd be able to somehow taste the poison, anyhow. Just one little sip... nope, nothing. Alright, just a bit more. ...Hey, this is pretty good... mm, how long's it been since I've had a decent meal?

And, just like that, his first obstacle was over with. Now, about that water...

Gradis continued to dine on the scrumptious feast. He saw that his associates were starting to feel the effects of the before mentioned serum. Sure enough, upon thinking this, he released a yawn, and he felt drowsiness begin to creep upon him. Sure was a nice thing for the Mayor to do, letting all of them be able to have a good night's sleep, not to mention ensuring that they would all be prepared for the events awaiting them.

Nevertheless, he wouldn't let himself hit the hay before knowing at least one persons name. He took a quick look around. He saw a rather large man at another part of the table. He seemed somewhat.....innocent, if the word fit. He seemed like someone who could probably be a little easier to befriend then the other, more ferocious members of the team. He went ahead and strolled over. Considering he knew pretty much nothing about the man, he started with the simplest, most basic introduction he could possibly think of; "Hi there, my name is Gradis."

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

Asher chuckled. "I produce energy cells just so people don't think of me as one of those rich kids who sit around and contribute nothing to society. Both of my parents were on the team that developed the cure to Gammite radiation in Janeiro. And before then, they were general pioneers in the scientific community, so we've been very well off. Then...well, I'm sure you can assume what happened." He teared up slightly, but brushed them away before continuing. "The mayor knew this, and that's why he chose me to be the captain: I have a drive and desire to see the Gammites eliminated, and that's just what this task force needs."

Asher yawned as well. He checked his watch: he was the first to start eating, and it had been roughly 45 minutes since then. Within 15 minutes, he would be unconscious.
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

"Most impressive!" boomed Colton after that display of swordsmanship.
    Approaching Kurt, Colton patted him in the head as a way of congratulating him. "Why, Mr. Kurt... your ability with the blade certainly exceeded my expectations! I think we'll be relying on you a lot, especially people like us who prefer to fight at range!" Colton said he nodded in approval of every word he said.
    Taking out of double blades from their sheath, Colton continued; "Hmm, while I'm pretty good at the sword if I say so myself, the truth is that I've been lacking worthy sparring partners lately... and someone with your abilities.. yes, I might be able to learn a thing or two from you!"

Colton yawned yet again, and then he realized it was almost time. Soon the relaxation serum would knock him out...
    Yawning again, Colton continued, "But alas... it seems that the sedative they gave us is about to put me down... perhaps later, during our journey, you could teach me some of your moves?"

Cameo had proven that she could sing well enough, so Clare clapped once or twice. It was a little sardonic, sure, but applause was applause. She muffled a small yawn; no doubt the sleeping serum was beginning to do its work. By now she thought she knew all of her teammates' faces, and she could even name a few of them... but she was yet to actually speak to the captain of their little force. At the very least, she decided, that had to be done. Rising from her seat, she headed over to near where Asher sat. She coughed once, just to alert him to her presence - wouldn't want to startle the guy - and then spoke. "Excuse me? I just wanted to come and introduce myself. Clare Moncrieff."

closer and closer

"Well Asher, looks like the young woman wants your company," Richard yawned as Clare made her way towards the captain. "I would like to continue this conversation eventually, but I suppose now isn't exactly the time for that." He placed his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his hands. Not exactly a sign of proper etiquette, but the serum and a long day of work were about to knock him out.

"Oh, and I suppose I should introduce myself too," he mumbled to Clare. "The name's Richard Carter, the best damn surgeon in London. Chances are, I'll forget our encounter once I wake up. This serum is certainly something, and I'm sure you'll start to feel its effects soon." Richard had never referred to himself as "the best damn surgeon in London" before, and that just raised questions as to what the serum itself contained. Richard was a fan of using medication to induce sleep, but he had certainly never acted like this in response to medication before.

Shame that I can't drive myself home. I'll probably have to make this table my bed tonight.

The effects of the serum were not as apparent on Kurt, since he had eaten so little, but now it was visible that he felt tired: His eyes were drooping, occasionally flying upwards to try and stay open. Kurt responded to Colton's implorement, "I don't know how much help I can offer. Your weapons wield differently from-" he yawned, and then continued, "From my katana, but I'll try and help you out."

He looked at the City Hall, "I do hope they have rooms for us while we asleep," he said, able to talk more comfortably now that he knew Colton was a fairly friendly chap.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

Clive stared back at his plate, this was rather complicated in his terms. In an attempt to answer Cameo, he said; "Clive strong. Clive works for army because Clive smashes doors. One time, when man took woman, Clive smashed wall. Man scared." Clive really couldn't think of much other than that. "Clive do as told. Clive eat, Clive sleep. Clive use gun."

Clive was really struggling at this point, but when Gradis came along, Clive forgot the subject at hand and replied "Me Clive. Clive strong."
    Spoiler: Quotes 

"Welp, night, all," Cameo said after downing the rest of her food and trying to decipher Clive's story. It seemed that the monosyllabic man had a bit of a past, though the problem wasn't that he was hiding it - no, he was telling it. Ah, well.

She settled into a more comfortable position in her chair, and wasn't satisfied with it, and so, simply decided to flop down onto the floor.

It took her a few minutes, but she realized that maybe a chainsaw on hard floor wasn't the best mattress, and shouldered the weapon off from her body, closing her eyes after that.

He gave a small smile upon hearing Clives' response. He seemed to be a simple man, something Gradis could appreciate. He was the kind of guy you could trust, who tends not to hide any secrets.

While Gradis was pondering another thing to say to Clives, he hit the wall. The effects of the serum devastatingly fell upon him. He could see some of his fellow teammates were starting to feel the effects as well. In fact, one of them fell right onto the ground (whether they did this intentionally or not, he didn't know for sure). Gradis pulled up two chairs and made them face each other, one for his head and the other for his feet. Satisfied with his meager bed, he layed down and soon began to sink into the void of sleep.

What Would Bayonetta Do? Forum Veteran Elfice's Avatar
    don't you DARE take the name of Texas in vain

As Clare approached, he stifled a yawn to avoid appearing rude. "Yes, hello," he said, lazily throwing her a wave. "Excuse me, the serum is definitely taking effect. Anyway it is a pleasure to meet you face-to-face. I'd love to continue this conversation, but I am about to pass out, so remind me that we were chatting when we wake up."

He got up and walked over to one of the couches. Several of his teammates had already readied themselves for sleep. The couch looked comfortable enough, so he double-checked that his revolver had the safety on and flopped down, stretching along the whole thing. Seconds later, he felt another severe wave of drowsiness hit, and was unconscious shortly after.

((Anyone who hasn't, get ready for sleep))
    shoutout to moose for the amazing avatar feat. my dog carter

hey look a tumblr

"Well, Mr. Kurt, it appears its time for me to hit the sack, as they say." Saying good night to the swordsman, Colton returned to the City Hall.
    Upon entering, he noticed the rest of the group was already falling asleep too. Some on the couches, some at the table, and yet some more on the floor.
    "Well, if they have no problem falling asleep in any place, I'd say we're ready for anything..." Colton thought as he yawned loudly.

Colton walked up to the table, and took a seat. Laying his head on the table, Colton closed his eyes and went to sleep.
    Tomorrow was going to be a big day, after all!

Thread Information