Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etrian Odyssey

Sinking, falling, fallen Lord of the Arena Dynawing's Avatar

Etrian Odyssey

No, I'm not going to make any F.O.E. jokes.

Etrian Odyssey is a series of retro-esque dungeon-crawling RPGs, published by Atlus. There are currently three released games in the series, all on the Nintendo DS:

Etrian Odyssey
    Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
    Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

The fourth game, subtitled Legend of the Giant God, is being made for the 3DS, set for release in Japan this year, with no word yet on an overseas one. Although Atlus will surely make one because we love them. Right?

Spoiler: Introduction to the series 

Etrian Odyssey 4

The official website is here. It updates with things on sundays, whether it be information or videos or even music. Just follow the shiny "new" tags. Certain pages also update in accordance to the amount of votes on polls, so there's that. It’s kinda like Japan Time: Atlus edition. Here you can find translations for some of the site.

Etrian Odyssey 4 will have new things such as an overworld explorable by your wonderful flying hot-air balloon, multiple dungeons, including optional ones. Apparently downloadable ones as well, although I'm not too sure on the exact nature of this and whether there's any proper DLC planned. Also featured is the presence of Casual Mode for all you... casuals? We don't know the specifics, but chances are this will be the most accessible game for newcomers yet. And of course, there's a lot more to it than just all this.

Here's a recent trailer showcasing some gameplay and F.O.E.s. Me, I'm excited. Everything looks really nice and I really like the graphics, and the character designs look fine enough to me, although maybe a bit more plain than 3's.

I basically started this topic in anticipation of the fourth game, but I’ve also been playing the others, although I’m only really anywhere of note in the third one. I’m halfway through the fourth stratum, I believe, and I’d say my latest achievement was finally killing the Ant Queen yesterday. I think I was a bit overleveled so I didn’t actually feel extremely threatened, but yeah.

My party’s around level 39, and my main team consists of a Shogun, Hoplite, and Monk/Princess in the front, with a Ninja/Zodiac and Arbalist/Zodiac in the back. I’m not too sure on what to subclass my Shogun or Hoplite, although I’m thinking Ninja for the latter. My Shogun’s using a 5-Ring Sword/general attacker build, so I’m not really sure. I do have Warrior Might but using or supporting it isn’t my focus.

So yeah, I don’t think we had a topic on this and I know there's at least a few people here who like it. And maybe some of you might be interested in the series now, so… go?

The party was blindsided!

GREAT LYNX TIME
    Last edited by Dynawing; May 16th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Re: Etrian Odyssey

Ah, Etrian Odyssey... one of the series that I've been interested in for a while but never bother for various reasons. I'd probably prefer to play the games on an actual DS instead of an emulator.

But I've always found the machanics really interesting. Most notably, the manual mapping, an idea that I'm really fond of that I always love filling out maps in games that let you do that. The character creation is nice too, and in regards to the rest of the gameplay... well, I've already played and enjoyed Strange Journey, and this is pretty much the same thing (normal enemies raping you included), so.

I heard about the fourth some time ago, so I'm sort of looking forward to it as well.

Oh hey, I love this series. The dungeon crawling and the manual mapping really give off a retro western RPG feel, but with the visual appeal of a modern JRPG. Anyway, I've beaten all three, and I love the gameplay, so I'm excited for 4 and all of its new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynawing View Post
    My party’s around level 39, and my main team consists of a Shogun, Hoplite, and Monk/Princess in the front, with a Ninja/Zodiac and Arbalist/Zodiac in the back. I’m not too sure on what to subclass my Shogun or Hoplite, although I’m thinking Ninja for the latter. My Shogun’s using a 5-Ring Sword/general attacker build, so I’m not really sure. I do have Warrior Might but using or supporting it isn’t my focus.
    The best subclass for a Shogun is the Buccaneer. Swashbuckling while dual-wielding leads to a huge amount of regular attacks, and the Shogun's auto-death can activate on any extra hits too. I like Arbalist too since dual-wielding bows is as effective as it is hilarious. Ninja is the best for Hoplite since the added evasion is nice, but the real bonus is the ability to create a second Hoplite who can spear and offer protection from the backrow.
    Last edited by Ark; May 5th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by table-kun
    The best subclass for a Shogun is the Buccaneer. Swashbuckling while dual-wielding leads to a huge amount of regular attacks, and the Shogun's auto-death can activate on any extra hits too. I like Arbalist too since dual-wielding bows is as effective as it is hilarious. Ninja is the best for Hoplite since the added evasion is nice, but the real bonus is the ability to create a second Hoplite who can spear and offer protection from the backrow.
    I know of the Swashbuckling/Second Sword combo, but I've heard that it's mainly to be used for support with another Warrior Might user. Either way, I'd rather not invest 16 points into Rapier and Gun mastery. I know 5-Ring Sword etc. isn't AS effective, but it sure works and I like it a lot. Maybe there's other Buccaneer skills I might want, or I could get Gladiator for Charge... hm. Either way, I like using some of Shogun's other skills... I really don't know why I put a point into Magatoki though. It sounded cool on paper, okay? People don't usually talk about what else a Shogun can do, so I'm always pretty unsure.

I also already have my 6th slot usually taken up by my Ninja, but I could use that too, I suppose. Either way I think I'm making my Hoplite subclass Ninja, yes.

I think the main draw of subclassing to Ninja is having two Hoplites to protect both rows, so having the sixth slot taken up by a Ninja would really take out the big draw of the subclass. Monks are also a very viable subclass since they give HP regen on skill use and the Monk's restore abilities are great... that is if you're still planning on using the Ninja you have for the sixth row.

Shogun/Gladiator can work when you need a front row character since it'll be dealing damage well, even if it lacks utility. I usually don't do that since Shoguns are fragile and I wouldn't want them in the front row, even with the subclass, but it can work.

EO4 site updated recently, there's that trailer I posted earlier, a few NPC pictures in the story section, and most importantly the unlockable Mystic class was formally introduced. They seem pretty interesting, if a bit gimmicky, and I'm liking the 2nd female design myself naturally.

Spoiler: Mystic description 

Taken from here, which may be worth following.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark
    I think the main draw of subclassing to Ninja is having two Hoplites to protect both rows, so having the sixth slot taken up by a Ninja would really take out the big draw of the subclass. Monks are also a very viable subclass since they give HP regen on skill use and the Monk's restore abilities are great... that is if you're still planning on using the Ninja you have for the sixth row.

Shogun/Gladiator can work when you need a front row character since it'll be dealing damage well, even if it lacks utility. I usually don't do that since Shoguns are fragile and I wouldn't want them in the front row, even with the subclass, but it can work.
    I went ahead with Hoplite/Ninja because evasion's good, and if anything I like the extra skill points, even if I'm not planning on using a doppelganger. The back row's pretty well-sustained even without a defender on there, and if I need to change things up for the postgame there's retirement or simply resting. 5 levels is a pretty small cost for a respec, I'd say.

and my Shogun's in front since shoguns should be using katanas and she's the party leader okay ;-;

Anyways I just took down the 4th stratum boss. I didn't expect the stratum to be over so soon, though. The fight went really smoothly until the end, where my Shogun did 10 hits with 5-ring sword and the boss hit me with retribution, which killed one person and from then on it was kind of hectic. In the end my Monk's head got binded and it ended up with only my Hoplite barely alive and poking the thing to death. Fun!

Anyways, the 5th stratum is pretty/confusing and the music is fantastic, so I think I'll enjoy the end of the game. Sorta.

bumping and double posting because i care

The site update last Sunday added some information on some of the standard facilities, like the inn or place where connection to other peoples' games and stuff is managed.

More notably though is the new music track, which is the standard battle theme we'll be hearing a lot. Now hit the loop button and never close the tab again, because it's amazing.

Some recent magazine scans also (famitsu... I guess?) revealed a number of things, like details on another "hidden" class, some alternate colors, and huge F.O.E.s. HUGE.

Spoiler: Scans and comments 

Well, here's hoping we get international announcements or release dates at E3 because man I am excited for this

even if barely any other people here are

So I don't want people to forget that this is a series that exists and that Etrian Odyssey 4 is a thing that's heading stateside really soon - February 26th, to be exact. In the meantime, we'll be able to satiate our hunger for more dungeon crawling goodness with a demo of EO4 which will hit the 3DS eShop on the 7th of next month. This also looks like it'll be pretty big as far as 3DS demos go, unlike the Fire Emblem: Awakening one. And most importantly, "as with the Japanese version, all demo progress can be transferred over to the full game". Hella excited that this game is so close to being released.

Launch copies are also sold with a soundtrack CD and art book so you can bet that I'll be all over that.
    Last edited by Ark; January 22nd, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    So I don't want people to forget that this is a series that exists and that Etrian Odyssey 4 is a thing that's heading stateside really soon - February 26th, to be exact. In the meantime, we'll be able to satiate our hunger for more dungeon crawling goodness with a demo of EO4 which will hit the 3DS eShop on the 7th of next month. This also looks like it'll be pretty big as far as 3DS demos go, unlike the Fire Emblem: Awakening one. And most importantly, "as with the Japanese version, all demo progress can be transferred over to the full game". Hella excited that this game is so close to being released.

Launch copies are also sold with a soundtrack CD and art book so you can bet that I'll be all over that.
    I'll definitely at least try the demo. A soundtrack CD and art book sounds pretty tempting, so I'll probably look for a place to pre-order it if I end up liking the demo. Now I've got something to look forward to next month!

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

Oh, a demo that carries over? That's pretty great, lets me play a bit of the game before it even comes out, which isn't soon enough. I've been aniticipating this game a whole lot, already preordered and everything since I can't resist such goodies like an art book and soundtrack (if I'm not mistaken the soundtrack CD will feature some cut songs from the game, but I forget).

I haven't thought out a team yet, though. All the unlockable classes seem interesting and then there's the complications of subclassing, but I think at the beginning I'll go with Fortress, Dancer, Medic, Sniper, and... Runemaster, I guess. I suppose that doesn't give me any conventional frontline fighter type, but I've lived without such things before.

And I'm just glad that there's a demo too so all you people with a 3DS can and should get the demo when it comes out, because it's an awesome series that may or may not be for you at all!

Ka-bump, Etrian Odyssey 4 comes out tomorrow! Or, um, way over in Spring next year (edit: wait no this year, why did I think it's still 2012) for PAL regions, I think. Oops. At least they're getting it at all this time. I'm getting it a day late probably, due to shipping.

The demo's been out for a while now, so anyone interested might want to have a look at that. You get a cave, a bit of overworld exploration, and the first floor of the first main dungeon, so it's actually fairly extensive for a demo. Me, I've done pretty much everything possible in it, other than leveling a Landsknecht up to level 10 or beating rare breed FOEs or otherwise grinding for the guild card badges. Even beat a Bounding Beast, go me!

Anyone else with the game, I think it would be cool if we'd share our guild cards and get each others' party members and stuff. I'm actually not sure how exactly it works, like if the party member is temporary or unable to level or adjust or something, but what I do know is that in the full version of the game you can scan guild cards to get treasure maps as well as the guild representative, provided they don't exceed your max level or have a class/subclass you don't have. Or something like that.

Either way, here's what I've got. Can't use it yet, but might as well put it up now. Also, I'd recommend not putting your treasure map as Sharp Lands or Distant Hill, or basically try to see if you've got a map nobody else seems to have.

Spoiler: Guild Card 

Also, just so I could say I've beaten all the other games before really starting 4, I beat the original Etrian Odyssey not too long ago. Ended up beating the final boss fairly easily with my Ronin/Dark Hunter, Hexer/Troubadour/Medic party. Not sure if I'll try the postgame though, since I'm not seeing any geomagnetic pole in the 6th stratum and I think I'd sooner finish EO2 or EO3's postgame. Still, pretty neat, and I think the fifth stratum as a whole was pretty awesome in terms of the setting and music.

... I kinda feel like an ass after that ending, though.
    Last edited by Dynawing; February 25th, 2013 at 02:35 PM.

"We won't ask you to love us." Forum Veteran Taigiry's Avatar

I'm pretty excited for this, after all, we didn't get EO2 and 3 and I never would've thought that we're actually getting it. I hope we get the demo this Thursday. Anyway, it's great that the let us carry our progress from the demo over to the full game.
    Spoiler: 3DS code and other stuff 

I had never touched the series before, but I played the demo and I really enjoyed it, I'm pretty excited to pick it up tomorrow.

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

Been playing this a lot, and booooy is it fun. I just got to the second land, and can I just say holy damn the boss music in this game is amazing. Actually just the music in general is really top notch. I love the exploration aspect of this game, especially since there really isn't a main character. It's almost kind of rogue like in that sense, I guess? I just love going through a dungeon and discovering all the little nuances the developers threw in. I'd definitely recommend it for fans of the RPG genre in general, and also for fans of Atlus.

Figured I'd ask this in this thread since this is a rather niche series. I just got both Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey IV in the mail and I have a week long spring break starting this weekend. Which one are people enjoying more/which should I play over break? I figured people in this thread would probably have both.

I don't see why you can't play both – I've had both games since their launch dates (well, a day after in FE's case) and I've had time to enjoy both games. Sorry if it isn't the most helpful aswer, but I can't say which one I enjoy over the other since they're just both so great. I'd allocate time to both if I were you, they're both very enjoyable and have a lot of content and I don't think it's bad to focus on both of them and draw out the experiences a bit more.

And I'm on the third land of EO4 and the boss is kicking me around. Due to the way the fight works, some of my main damage dealers don't work as well (Sniper's Squall Volley and my Arcanist/Runemaster's Glacier Rune). Since my builds are somewhat messy, especially after the addition of said Arcanist/Runemaster, I was thinking about respeccing soon anyways, but we'll see. The other main thing I'd like to do is beat the first bonus boss,
    the Baboon King
    , but not much luck there either since my binds aren't going off as much as I'd like.

Updated my guild card stuff, so if anyone can actually recruit a level 37 character or wants a nice treasure here you go (leaving the old one up in case anyone needs the Forest Storm map). If anyone else here has their QR codes and a treasure map to share that would be nice, we could collect them and stuff.

Spoiler: Guild Card 2 

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I think I'm probably going to start with FE:A just since I've been anticipating it for awhile. I'll try to work in some EO4 too though

Anyone excited for a new Etrian Odyssey? Well, we haven't even gotten the demo for EO4 and Japan is already getting a new one in June. I'm curious whether that's coming over to Europe eventually or if EO4 is a one-time thing.

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

Oh, what. I'm not even past the second area in EOIV yet, haha. Guess I need to pick up the pace.

Well shoot didn't know that! Cool, consdier me excited already... although that's awfully fast. I'm still in the 4th land in EO4, but I'll probably be finishing up here soon.
    Imperials are neat and I can't wait to get one after this... Logre's cool and all but I like those other portraits. Does seem like they don't have many options on what to do thouggh, and I'll probably have to drop my Medic. Sob.

What I look forward to most will definitely be the class options, like whether they'll go for new, unorthodox ones like in EO3 or just build on the ones established by EO4.

Also from what I understand, EO4 will be released on the eShop for PAL regions and not sold physically, so I imagine it will always be available. Don't quote me on that, though.

EDIT:

Okay so.

Pictures and information on Millennium Girl.

Basically, Millennium Girl looks like a spin-off/remake of Etrian Odyssey 1 with a focus on story, by... having actual characters and voice acting. I really don't see how that will work well with the first-person viewpoint and all. At least class changing is apparently in, but frankly I like making my own party, predefined characters are okay but I dunno if they're going to be the only ones.

I'm not going to say that this will kill the series or anything, but I'm really hoping it's a one-time thing or they continue with the normal direction after this. I dunno, this all just seems... unnecessary.

and I just played EO1 dang, they didn't even change the guildmaster's sprite

It is indeed confirmed for being a remake of the first game with the full title being New Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl. Well, I hope the "New" in the title doesn't mean that all future Etrian Odyssey titles will have fixed characters. I actually prefer to create my own.

I was excited for a new game, but my hype died quickly.

The way I see it, the game could very end up being a cash grab that utilizes the assets from EO4 and past EOs (didn't change the guildmaster's portrait from the first game). I also don't see it having a compelling "this isn't the average JRPG you've played over and over again right down to the cliche plot and characters" feel. That being said, I know I'm being far too critical from what little we know. Honestly, my biggest fear is that the new game will eclipse the original series in popularity in a similar manner to how Persona did the same to the MegaTen series for a while which derailed the real SMT games, and that's very much a possibility since EO is kind of a backwards series. The lack of voice acting, character development, plot, and even the perspective are things of the past that most people aren't that interested in these days, so EO is definitely a niche within the niche that is JRPGs. If it moves out of that niche by throwing away what I like about the series, it could very well just be something average.

Of course, with all that's been said, Etrian Odyssey is one of my favorite series, and I shouldn't write off the new game even if it does seem really different (from what little we know, I should add). I'm hoping for the best here!

You Can Play New Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Maiden With Your Own Characters

Also includes multiple difficulty modes and the option to change the background music from live performed tracks to synths. Both the difficulty and BGM can be changed at any time over the course of the game.

Bumping this because Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl comes out on October 1 in North America, and a demo of the story mode will be on the eShop September 16, less than a week from now.

So... yay?

I'll take a look at the demo, but I'm still really conflicted about EOU. For starters, I'm still iffy on the story mode since I don't like having a preset party – sure, there's customization, but that doesn't stop me from disliking the looks of most of the characters and they'll obviously be doing more than just be pictures on the screen. For example, Arthur's voice acting... ugh. I just don't think EO's made for this kind of story style, and while it's not as big I think voices in battle is really weird.

Also, the first Etrian Odyssey had in my opinion some of the most boring map designs and I don't think some tweaks and a Stratum 6 overhaul will change the experience of the actual dungeon crawling too much. I suppose my real problem is that it's stuff I've already been through and I don't think a second round will be that interesting, and if I want to discard the story mode, classic mode will just give me even more of the same experience, so I guess I'd be forced to grudgingly go along with story mode if I get the game.

I'll concede that the updated graphics and music are a plus, and the grimoire system sounds cool (if broken, I hear), although from what I've listened to I didn't really like the new version of Ecstasy and they added electric guitars to the Labyrinth V music, and... well, I should stop before I get hung up over that. But while I'm on the art, the fact that none of the old portraits were updated is really weird and it all just clashes with the new portraits and graphics, and it also just makes everything feel like it would be the same as EO1. I mean I know it's a remake, but you'd think they'd address something as simple as that.

I realize a lot of the things I've said are about it being very similar to EO1, but that might be unfair since it's a remake after all – what I really mean is that I just didn't find EO1 very interesting, and that's the main reason I don't want a samey experience, even with the tweaks and story mode, which is still a bit off-putting to me. I might give it a try later and it could be a good entry point for people if EO4 wasn't enough, but it's still not something I want very much.

Sorry for basically doing nothing but complain here, but in the end I'm putting this post up to tell people about the demo and encourage them to give it a try, even though I don't sound very enthusiastic here I'll at least try it myself.

Okay I'll be honest the real reason I don't like EOU is because I don't want to go back to ANT LAND

As for other news that's happened since this place was last posted in, EO4 has recently been released in Europe, and I think Australia has it as well, or will at least get it very soon, since I hear it got delayed. So for those of you to whom that applies, go get it go go go
    Last edited by Dynawing; September 10th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Clobberin Monster

This went completely past the radar, but Etrian Odyssey Untold has a new demo today.

Thread Information