Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Movie Thread

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Marvel Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fums View Post
    I liked Avengers quite a bit, but I still like the Nolan Batman trilogy and X-Men: First Class more. Although I still need to see the original Superman movie too.
    I love the Nolan Batman movies but I don't see them as Superhero movies. The whole focus is on being real and believable, as if Batman were a real entity and not some fictional comic character. It's based on a Superhero but I can't really see it AS a Superhero movie, Batman's portrayed as a vigilante throughout.

I did like X-Men First Class a lot, but I put it below Avengers. It's a great movie and not one that I can really find much fault in, but I prefer a handful of other movies to it.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

hey sinnerman where you gonna run to Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Incredible Hulk is a really good movie (and one that I personally put above Captain America) though this might be because I have a massive weakness for Banner as a character. I really love the whole monster within conflict, even though it's been done to death, and I really hope that he gets a second movie, because I'd love to see The Leader make an appearance, as was hinted at in the first Hulk.
    tumblr | YouTube | Steam | Grooveshark | MyAnimeList

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

I thought Incredible Hulk was just good. I didn't think it was great just...good. It seemed very "safe" to me. Say what you want about the 2003 Hulk film, but it pushed metaphors, subtext, and allegory. The 2008 Hulk just felt like it was more about "HULK SMASH" It was highly entertaining, don't get me wrong. I just felt it coulda been more.

I recently went back and rewatched Iron Man 2. I really don't see why everyone dislikes this movie. No, it's not perfect and the middle tends to jump around between storylines but I still think its a pretty good movie. The action scenes are great, especially the final fight. It gives Stark some resolution to issues he had. It really builds Rhodes' character. I find it a solid enough movie. Not my favorite, but no where near a catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningboalt View Post
    It's based on a Superhero but I can't really see it AS a Superhero movie, Batman's portrayed as a vigilante throughout.
    Couldn't you say the same thing about a lot of his comics too though? Like so many of them are more about him as a detective than as an action-oriented hero.
    3DS: 5112 3747 3678

Forum Moderator

Couldn't you say the same thing about a lot of his comics too though? Like so many of them are more about him as a detective than as an action-oriented hero.
    The big difference is that the movies are explicitly just Batman as a vigilante exacting justice upon a crime ridden town. The comics on the other hand, while he's often basically just a vigilante, they can still have more fantastic things happening. But yeah I'd say Batman isn't always entirely a superhero. It kinda depends on the story arc, but the comics do tend to include canon-wise his more superheroic elements. The Nolan trilogy - at least to me personally - is a take on him where he's purely just a vigilante who does do some pretty crazy things but overall is mostly based in realism, and that's why I don't consider it a superhero series but a series based upon a superhero. Marvel movies embrace the over the top craziness (hell, even look at Iron Man: his suit's a bit more fantastical than Batman's gadgets) and embrace their basis as superheros, the realism approach of Nolan Batman takes it out of superhero territory for me and more into a sort of action/drama film.

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now

I saw Thor recently and it was absolute &&&&. Horribly cliched plot, subpar action sequences, &&&&ty and unnecessary characters (besides Loki). Really nothing redeeming about it. It wasn't even fun to watch.

I have a couple of Marvel movies I'm still planning to see, are they worth my time? Iron Man, Iron Man 3, X-2, and Captain America.
    X-2 isn't part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as the movie franchise is owned by Fox. It's awesome, though, and so is Iron Man 1 and 3. I personally liked Captain America: The First Avenger, but if you honestly didn't like Thor, I don't know if you'll like Captain America.

I'm also in the camp of Thor being good and entertaining, and also that Iron Man 2 wasn't as bad as everyone says it is.
    Last edited by DededeMan202; May 28th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Iron Man 2 wasn't a bad movie per se, and I wouldn't unwatch it if I had the opportunity. The issues of the movie are brought to light when you look at how great the original Iron Man was and compare that to the second movie, which did not live up to the first at all. Not a bad movie, but when you compare it to all the amazing superhero films that have been churned out lately including the original Iron Man, it's pretty damn weak.

Thor did not have enough Thor being Thor, so you can not like the flick and still think that Captain America comes near or at the top of the list of Marvel movies since it does the character and his story far more justice than Thor did. Thor is honestly my least favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (like it was just plain unfun for me to watch), and Captain America is my second favorite, just behind Avengers.

(also the nolan batman films are totes superhero movies pole vaults out of thread)
    Last edited by Ark; May 28th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

the problem with thor: it was about a half-baked romance and then thirty minutes of thor hitting things with hammers, when it should have been an hour and a half of hitting things with hammers. It really wasn't a thor movie at all.

Captain America was classically in-tune with the character: it's a war/action adventure story (I think someone described it as 'Raiders of the Lost Ark with shield throwing' and that's a pretty good way to describe it).

He were not hanged. He would not answer aye or nay to his indictment; for if he denied the charge they'd hang him surely, and auction out his property. So he stand mute, and died Christian under the law. And so his sons will have his farm. It is the law, for he could not be con-demned a wizard without he answer the indictment, aye or nay... Great stones they lay upon his chest until he plead aye or nay. They say he give them but two words. "More weight," he says. And died.

I can understand wanting to introduce Thor to our world and all in the first movie but there did seem like there wasn't a whole lot of Thor in Asgard OR Thor on Earth. I mean it was definitely a fun movie but...yeah. The one thing I was really missing from Thor was his weather. Dude threw his hammer around for sure but there was one tornado and one lighting strike. That was it. Fortunately enough there was much more in Avengers.

When it comes to ranking, I honestly kind of feel Avengers is in a category all to itself. Its the movie that has EVERYBODY in it so no matter who you like you're going to enjoy some part of it. I don't feel its "fair" to put an ensemble cast against stand alone movies. From the individual movies, I think Iron Man and Captain America are my favorites. Need to see Iron Man 3 another time to really kind of get a solid feel on it. I think Incredible Hulk was the weakest to me with Thor and Iron Man 2 somewhere in the middle.

to be honest, I don't really think that Avengers was the 'best superhero movie ever' that everyone is playing it up as. I mean, yeah, it's really very good, but there are several things in the movie that just outright bothered me.

1) Loki gets captured on purpose by SHIELD, and gets busted out... for no apparent reason. Yes, he split the Avengers apart, but he didn't even know that the Avengers were a thing until he'd already been captured.

2) His mind control gets shorted out by being hit on the head? What is this, Nintendo Chaos?

3) how the frig is everyone talking to each other in the final fight you don't have headsets or comm devices visible on you (this is a super-minor problem but this has been niggling away at me for a while. I know it's perfectly logical for them to have comms, being around SHIELD and Stark, but it bothers me that it's never really shown.)

4) Why the hell can Banner suddenly control the hulk? shouldn't this little development been given a little more attention than the 'oh since he went into it voluntarily/willingly, he's got control' explanation that I've gotten from everyone I've asked? Banner's inability to control the hulk is at the absolute core of his character, as well as his struggle over it. Why is this just glossed over?

really, other than that, it's probably the best marvel movie after Iron Man, but these things bug the hell out of me.
    Last edited by Eruedraith; May 30th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Well, I have answers (or at least reasonable explanations) for numbers one and four...

1) I thought that, even if Loki didn't know about the Avengers, he knew about SHIELD, and probably figured that they were a threat, even if they were only a minor one. Therefore, he got captured to destroy SHIELD from the inside, and probably just winged it with the whole "using the Hulk" plan.

4) If memory serves, I think it has to do with how, at the end of The Incredible Hulk, Banner was meditating and seemingly turned into the Hulk on command. And on the whole "not being able to control it being the core of his character" thing, who says he can control it all the time? Sure, he can control the Hulk when he transforms willingly, but, as seen earlier in the movie, when he transforms because of stress the Hulk is still a rampaging monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    to be honest, I don't really think that Avengers was the 'best superhero movie ever' that everyone is playing it up as. I mean, yeah, it's really very good, but there are several things in the movie that just outright bothered me.

1) Loki gets captured on purpose by SHIELD, and gets busted out... for no apparent reason. Yes, he split the Avengers apart, but he didn't even know that the Avengers were a thing until he'd already been captured.

2) His mind control gets shorted out by being hit on the head? What is this, Nintendo Chaos?

3) how the frig is everyone talking to each other in the final fight you don't have headsets or comm devices visible on you (this is a super-minor problem but this has been niggling away at me for a while. I know it's perfectly logical for them to have comms, being around SHIELD and Stark, but it bothers me that it's never really shown.)

4) Why the hell can Banner suddenly control the hulk? shouldn't this little development been given a little more attention than the 'oh since he went into it voluntarily/willingly, he's got control' explanation that I've gotten from everyone I've asked? Banner's inability to control the hulk is at the absolute core of his character, as well as his struggle over it. Why is this just glossed over?

really, other than that, it's probably the best marvel movie after Iron Man, but these things bug the hell out of me.
    1) All of this happened after he was portaled into the SHIELD base and mind-controlled Hawkeye and Selvig. In the time between when Loki and them escape with the Tesseract, and Loki's attack in Germany, Hawkeye and Selvig could've easily told Loki about the Avengers Initiative and its candidate members.

2) Percussive Maintenance. Also the Rule of Funny.

3) Earpiece devices are getting smaller and smaller, plus there's Stark Industries. A near-invisible earplug that doubles as a two-way radio? Stark Industries could've easily mass-produced those. And if not them, SHIELD might've figured it out.

4) Banner has found that careful line, right on the edge between sanity and "enormous green rage monster". A sort of balance, where he no longer has to worry about unleashing "the other guy" at an inopportune moment, while remaining stressed or angry enough to release him at any given moment. From this, Hulk is less blindly enraged and more helpfully destructive. This is a state called Tranquil Fury. Or, as he put it, "I'm always angry."

The whole Hulk control issue is brought up several times in the movie. "You've gone a year without an incident" and the constant references to "What's the secret?" I think the key is he has learned to keep it under control and when to unleash it, as he does in the end. When he goes willingly he has some bit of control over it. It's like a flamethrower. You can direct it but not "control" if that makes sense. He still does have the fear of letting it get away. That's what happens on the hellicarrier and why he looks away so sad and sorry. He knows he has just lost it. He always has the hulk just under control ("I'm always angry") but he can still lose it completely if he's not careful.

And the earpiece thing....yeah that bugged me too.

All in all, I don't think the Avengers is a perfect film and may not be the best superhero film. I do think just by its nature its hard to compare it to the solo Marvel movies.

Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    I think the main idea was for his mind controlled drones to take care of things while he taunted SHIELD (which was really the only opposition he faced to taking over the world and because he's all about chaos and deception, what better way to mess with them than directly in their hands). There's also a bunch of mentions of how Earth was being watched by other planets now so I'd imagine that Loki was aware that SHIELD was going to target the superheroes to stop an interplanetary war, and by removing them via the Hulk he wouldn't really have much opposition (though it'd make for a pretty &&&&ing awesome Hulk movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Erue

Agreed wholeheartedly, wasn't a fan of either of these bits. For the first, apparently it requires consciousness to function and stops affecting you if you go unconscious? Still really could've used an explanation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Erue
    As has been said, this is tied to the ending of Incredible Hulk as well as in the movie with Hulk's rampage on the ship and "I'm always angry". He can only control Hulk when he willingly transforms, when he's forcibly transformed Hulk is uncontrollable. I believe they've done some similar stuff in the comics actually? It's been a while though so I can't completely verify that.

As has been said, this is tied to the ending of Incredible Hulk as well as in the movie with Hulk's rampage on the ship and "I'm always angry". He can only control Hulk when he willingly transforms, when he's forcibly transformed Hulk is uncontrollable. I believe they've done some similar stuff in the comics actually? It's been a while though so I can't completely verify that.
    They have. There have been several times where Banner gained complete control of the Hulk and retained his intelligence. In fact, there were periods of time where he just stayed Hulked out 24/7, because why be wimpy old banner when you can be a super-intelligent Hulk?

So yeah, the control over the Hulk thing had basis in the comics.

ok thanks for the clarification on points one and four, ya'll are great

still pissy about k.o.s being the miracle medicine though :<

but yeah this will help me enjoy the movie more next time

This situation calls for science! Aquinas's Avatar
    Trust me, when I find out, you'll be the first to know.

For the first, apparently it requires consciousness to function and stops affecting you if you go unconscious? Still really could've used an explanation though.
    Just to further clarify this point, Whedon mentioned on the DVD commentary that consciousness was in fact the key to the mind control's power. That's why the two characters looked more and more haggard as time went on - the controller wouldn't allow them to sleep.

Still seems like kind of a wimpy form of mind-control.
    An insatiable hunger. An impossible thirst.
    A sparkling new tradition arrives with an unassuming tap on the marble floor.
    Seven come, six go, one stays still.

FATE/SPLINTERED

they should have thrown that little (kind of important) tidbit into the movie then, really
    it would have taken all of thirty seconds to establish that it's linked to consciousness

The title for Avengers 2 has been revealed!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=83794

"Age of Ultron"... For those of you who don't know, Ultron is a Marvel villain who was created by Henry Pym, aka Ant-Man, who was based around Pym's brain patterns, developed it's own intelligence, and rebelled against his creator and eventually became a regular Avengers villain. Hearing this means we'll likely see Ant-Man in this movie, what a twist!

Another twist is how we all thought Thanos would be the main villain in the second movie. They had us all fooled!

well I guess we know what Ant-Man's plot is going to be about, at least partially
    I wonder when/how Thanos is going to show up, then? as a man in the shadows? or just continuing to be teased as a big bad?

I THINK he's going to show up in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, though I'm not sure...

Also, apparently, there's a rumor going around that the actual Ant-Man movie won't be an origin story, but rather Hank Pym and Scott Land/Eric O'Grady fighting over the title of Ant-Man.

Forum Moderator

I'd post the images but I currently don't have a computer... But wow, they released some Guardians of the Galaxy character concept art and I'm really pleased with how Groot and Drax look. Groot just looks really awesome, and wow Dave Batista is really perfect casting for Drax lookwise, dude already looks the part normally (but without the green skin). Star Lord's mask is also looking pretty badass. I'm excited for this movie, it should be fun (really curious what exactly they're doing with it storywise... There was that talk of Michael Rooker as the main villain but then others of Thanos behind the scenes and then Nova Corps is involved somehow and I'm really interested in the possibilities there).

I haven't seen anything on this yet, have they announced who will be voicing Rocket yet?

So apparently, Elizabeth Olsen, the younger sister of the Olsen twins, has been cast as Scarlet Witch:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/1...elizabeth.html

...And there's also rumor that Aaron Taylor Johnson is Quicksilver, though I'm not sure about that.

Assist Trophy

Thor: The Dark World is one of the most unpleasant film experiences I've ever had.

I've seen bad movies before (the second Transformers still stands in my mind as the worst movie ever made), sure, but usually I can find enjoyment in those movies by poking fun at them. Just go along with the ride and try to have fun with it.

Dark World gave me no such alternative. There is no character development, there is no theme to the story, and there is absolutely no attempt to justify any of the shoddy writing going on. There are so many violations of basic storytelling virtues that it's not even funny. No, really, it's not. This film was insulting.

I'll just jot down a variety of thoughts that come to me, starting with the most egregious. Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler: Cyphir's Long List of Problems with Thor: The Dark World 
    This was an incredible, incredible misstep for Marvel. It deserves to bomb like there's no tomorrow lest writers, directors, and producers get the idea that this mess is acceptable.
    Last edited by Cyphir; November 9th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

^^^

...Really? Because I loved it! In fact, I was just about to say I was as entertained by it as I was with The Avengers. Maybe I just need to get past the initial excitement and think about it in a broader sense, but I honestly can't think of any actual problems or grievances I had with it.

Thread Information