Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Movie Thread

Marvel Movie Thread

Talk about The Avengers here. By which I mean, talk about the Marvel movie (or the comics they're based on) here, not the TV series that has nothing to do with them. Also, talk about the five movies that built up to it.

Just saw it, my mind is thoroughly blown.
    Last edited by Eltrotraw; May 5th, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Title change

"I'm not in the mood." itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Re: The Avengers

But isn't there already a movies thread? It would make more sense to talk about it there, considering we can't talk about the cartoon. I dunno, just my opinion.

I can't wait to see it on Sunday. The trailer made my mind get blown as well.

SUCKY ART THREAD HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas
    The X-Blade is a part of your heart too, idiot.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

I want to ask why this can't be about the comic franchise itself - why does this have to be titled "The Avengers" otherwise? Why not the "Marvel Movie Thread" since this is exactly what you want to treat it?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Leader of the SilverFist Legion. TheSilverFist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    But isn't there already a movies thread? It would make more sense to talk about it there, considering we can't talk about the cartoon. I dunno, just my opinion.
    i think he was talking about The British TV series aired in the '60s

Saw it, loved it. I especially loved Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. Nothing against Ed Norton, or heck Eric Bana, but he really captured the combination of tortured soul, scientific genius, and someone who knows as bad as the Hulk is, how much of a help he could be.

Yeah, loved this movie and I can't wait to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    I want to ask why this can't be about the comic franchise itself - why does this have to be titled "The Avengers" otherwise? Why not the "Marvel Movie Thread" since this is exactly what you want to treat it?
    Okey-dokey, Loki. :P

You look like you're in good shape Kiwi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    Okey-dokey, Loki. :P
    ?_?
    Really?

Anywaaaaay, I loved it! IT WAS THE GREATEST THING EVER. It is now my favorite movie. It's just... WOW! And how about that scene at the end?
    You know, the one with THANOS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Kiwi View Post
    ?_?
    Really?

Anywaaaaay, I loved it! IT WAS THE GREATEST THING EVER. It is now my favorite movie. It's just... WOW! And how about that scene at the end?
    You know, the one with THANOS!!!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know, right?!

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

I'm so glad this thread got made, because there's alot more about it that I want to discuss than just my general thoughts that I posted in the movies forum.
    The two things that really made this movie for me were the character interactions and the surprisingly witty humor.
    Everyone has had a fair bit of character development in the previous movies leading up the The Avengers, but here we get to see them bounce off each other and develop together. It all seemed very natural and I liked that even though they didn't get along to well to begin with, they didn't let their differences get in the way during an emergency like so many other fictional stories do to play up drama.
    The humor was great, and considering Joss Whedon wrote the script, that really shouldn't come as a surprise. But what can I say, when I went into the movie theater I was expecting to see alot of great action and a bit of trademark Stark Snark. I wasn't expecting to be laughing out loud just as often as I was taken in by a good action scene. Everyone had their funny moments. I'll spoiler tag a few here for those who haven't seen the movie yet:
    Loki getting the crap pounded out of him while the Hulk throws him around like a rag doll. The action is only topped by his following line. "Puny God."

An earlier exchange as Captain America chases after Thor-
    Natasha: Be careful, they're basically gods.
    Cap': There's only one God, ma'm, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that.

Tony Stark pretending to direct the ship. Part of it has become my sig quote-
    Tony: Hoist the main sail, raise the mizzen mast. You, take us about. That man there is playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. I... *covers one eye* How does Fury see all this at once?
    (Part of the reason I like it so much is that I love Galga, it's my favorite old-school arcade game)

Thor sort of defending Loki-
    Thor: He is of Asguard, and my brother!
    Fury: He killed 80 people in two days.
    Thor: He's adopted.

Anyway, sorry for the uber-post, I just really enjoyed this movie. Only complaint? Wish we could have learned more about Hawk-eye. He was Brickin' Awesome through the whole movie
    Both brainwashed and good
    but I wish we could have learned more about his character in this universe. Here's hoping for a Hawk-eye movie in the future.
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverFist View Post
    i think he was talking about The British TV series aired in the '60s
    Unless you're joking, there's also the Avengers series("Earth's Mightiest Heroes") which already has a topic on here.

Although I haven't seen it, I have been hearing a lot of good things about this movie, but honestly I think Marvel fans were very hyped for this movie even before the Avengers hints were being much more obvious. After Captain America, I don't see how this could disappoint.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeOctopi View Post
    Tony Stark pretending to direct the ship. Part of it has become my sig quote-
    Tony: Hoist the main sail, raise the mizzen mast. You, take us about. That man there is playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. I... *covers one eye* How does Fury see all this at once?
    (Part of the reason I like it so much is that I love Galga, it's my favorite old-school arcade game)
    I totally flipped my lid when we found out that the guy really WAS playing Galaga! Boy I loved playing that as a kid...

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Marvel Movie Thread

Oh, for the people that liked Hawkeye, there's a possibility of him being expanded in either his own movie or a shared SHIELD movie.

Which is really cool.

IT IS WEEK 8 WHY DO I STILL HAVE THIS WEEK 5 AVATAR Meta-Mind's Avatar

I thought it was interesting. There was some heavily foreshadowed character development (hey look,
    Iron Man gets a spine
    ), and there were some funny sig-worthy quotes (about Galaga, Loki, and other stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Oh, for the people that liked Hawkeye, there's a possibility of him being expanded in either his own movie or a shared SHIELD movie.

Which is really cool.
    I kind of wonder what the S.H.E.I.L.D. movie would be about... I don't read the comics, so I wouldn't know about any kind of stories involving just them.

I think it was hilarious that they actually did scientific research for a superhero movie. The cube thing looked like a semi-transparent hypercube, and "tesseract" is the term for an unwrapped hypercube.

Quote Originally Posted by Meta-Mind View Post
    I think it was hilarious that they actually did research for a superhero movie. The cube thing looked like a semi-transparent hypercube, and "tesseract" is the term for an unwrapped hypercube.
    That's neat! I thought they just made that name up. The cube in question is actually based on a MacGuffin from the comics called "The Cosmic Cube". Yeah, I have to admit, the "tesseract" sounds better/cooler in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post

Which is really cool.
    YAY! I really hope they actually go through with that.

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Okay, so you all KNOW that the Marvel series of movies is going to continue after this, right?

Especially after they teased Thanos during the credits

Iron Man 3 is going to be next year, and supposedly, so is Thor 2. Captain America 2's slated for release in 2014, and it's then we get another Marvel superhero getting his movie debut:

ANT-MAN!

That's right, one of the original members of the Avengers in the comics, and also the hero with the power to change size... More specifically, the size of an ant (though he can also grow to a giant's size)...

Um... Yeah, I know Marvel has plenty of fantastical superheroes out there, and while I'm sure plenty of them would make good movies, I'm not entirely sure how they can make this one work... I did a little bit of research (that is to say, I looked it up on Wikipedia and TV Tropes), and it seems Ant-Man is a title shared by at least three different people, though I'm pretty sure they're going to go with the original, Dr. Henry "Hank" Pym. In his first story, his wife is killed and he's accidentally shrunk down to size, befriends an ant, helps it defeat a rival tribe of ants, then he manages to get back to his lab and grow back to normal size. He also gets a sidekick, Janet van Dyne, who becomes "the Wasp", another original Avenger who looks like his dead wife.

I have to say, if they're really going to make a movie on this guy, it's definitely going to be the most out-there, ridiculous superhero movie they've ever pulled.

Sorry for the double post, but for everyone who's wondering if Spider-Man or Wolverine will be in the next Avengers movie, check this out:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Wrongs-Rights

Seriously, it explains it better then I ever could.

Well, I think if Marvel Studios wants to make an Ant-man movie, they'll figure it out. I didn't think they'd be able to pull off Thor's complexicated origin, but they changed a few aspects of it to make it simpler and made a great movie out of it.
    And no Spidy in the future, unless Sony becomes VERY generous. Ah well.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Ant Man was portrayed very well in EMH. They don't have to incorporate all the weirdness from the comics (like the wife-beating).

It's unfortunate though that they didn't include him in Avengers, since he's so important to the group. If they're gonna put him on the big screen Avengers was the best place to do it.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    Ant Man was portrayed very well in EMH. They don't have to incorporate all the weirdness from the comics (like the wife-beating).

It's unfortunate though that they didn't include him in Avengers, since he's so important to the group. If they're gonna put him on the big screen Avengers was the best place to do it.
    I would say it's the more realistic tone if not for Hulk, Loki, and Thor.

As it is, though, I don't really know. Since, after looking up some stuff from the movie on the Marvel Wiki, the new movie seems to be a rehash and remake of the old "Cosmic Cube" comics (the VERY early ones), it would seem they're... removing Ant Man? I don't know.

I also heard rumors of a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Rocket Racoons, the other guys, you know. I really hope for a Black Panther movie, because he is and always will be my favourite Avenger. I also heard a rumor that
    Agent Coulson will come back as the Vision.
    I really hope that is true, as he was one of my favourite characters.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Anyway, I really enjoyed Avengers, but there were some problems with it (especially #2, which really held the movie back as a whole):

1. Hulk's actor was replaced. Marvel needs to stop doing this (Rhodey was also replaced in Iron Man 2). You can't have continuity and also keep changing actors, it's just weird. This is also sad because Ed Norton was a very good Hulk (and Terrence Howard was a very good Rhodey). The new guy was good too, but it's still weird.

2. Thor and Hulk were not present for Iron Man and Capt's realization that they needed to work together as the Avengers in the wake of
    Coulson's death.
    Hulk didn't even know that happened, and yet that's supposed to be the event that whips everyone into shape.

This makes it weird in the final battle where everyone is working together, despite Hulk and Thor being unable to work as a team with everyone else prior to that. Before they couldn't work together at all, but apparently in the time it took for Thor and Hulk to get to the final battle they realized the value of working together.

In fact, Tony and Capt were the people who needed the least character development to work with others. Iron Man and Capt. worked together to save the ship as it was falling, so it was clear they knew how to put aside their differences. Compare this to Thor and Hulk.

Thor is someone who is still somewhat unfamiliar with humanity. He's also very angry at SHEILD for their plans with the Tesseract. He's still never been shown to be a true protector of Earth in the film series. He likes Earth, but he doesn't have the same commitment to it as he does in EMH for example.

Hulk is even worse here. Banner is incredibly paranoid about military organizations for good reason. He's been in hiding ever since he first became the Hulk, and that cage they put Loki in was likely made for him. He is terrified of the idea of the government using the Hulk as a weapon (or creating more Hulks), and so seeing their plans for the Tesseract would make all his fears even more justified.

The last time Hulk is with everyone else before the final fight, he was attacking SHEILD at the same time Loki was, despite the fact that Banner has some amount of control over the Hulk*.

Of course, maybe Hulk and Thor each realized that they needed to work together at some point offscreen, but it should have been shown. Either Hulk and Thor should have been present when Fury talked with the team, or they should have had their own separate on-screen revelations leading to the same conclusion.

*As seen in The Incredible Hulk (in fact, the point of that movie is that Banner has the ability to "direct" the Hulk, even if he can't fully control it), the comment from that guy in the ruined building about how Hulk aimed his fall towards the abandoned building, and the fact that Banner is able to use Hulk against Loki effectively in the final battle (notice that Hulk wasn't a mindless brute in this fight, he saved Tony from falling among other heroic actions).
    Last edited by Superninfreak; May 10th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

I do think it's weird that Hulk and Thor started working together during the final fight, for all the reasons you stated... on the other hand,
    it WAS funny seeing Hulk sucker punch Thor after defeating that big alien worm

Thread Information