Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (Sony Smash Bros. if you want a shorter title)

Re: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (Sony Smash Bros. if you want a shorter title

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Dingo View Post
    I doubt they're as hopeless as you think. PaRappa looked like there was no chance of him being in. And yet, first six characters confirmed.
    Does that mean Jaster from Rogue Galaxy could be in? That game was very popular in Japan, but I still don't think he would be in the game. Unless Level 5 makes a sequel, of course.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Re: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (Sony Smash Bros. if you want a shorter title

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    Also, Skullgirls is kind of an unfair comparison, since it wasn't really a big budget game developed by a major company. It was more an independent labor of love.
    A more fitting example would be BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, with just 12 characters.

But on the other end of the spectrum you have Street Fighter X Tekken with 55 characters on the PS3, despite being the first game in the series.
    Unless you want to count ALL Capcom crossover fighters as part of a series for some strange reason.

...Which is why I say fighting game rosters are generally larger these days.
    I was actually going to raise the example of Blazblue, but that's just proving the point further, isn't it? What other new fighting game(s) can you think of that started off with an expansive cast?

I would actually count the crossover fighters as their own series, yes, because they've got more people and experience among themselves on working on such things. Consider as well that this(that is, Sony Battle Royale) is being developed by a rather new company, rather than Capcom, who've been working on fighting games for a while.

I don't think it's generally larger of many of these "first entries" include roughly 12-15-ish characters in them. I think that's a safe bet to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    I think it's worth noting that it's not simply a matter of adding characters.
    Each SSB game plays very different than the last, so each character is essentially remade and rebalanced from the ground up for each game in the series.
    Right, because they're also dealing with familiar, yet new mechanics for the game, and in a way it's like developing a new game from the ground up. The point is that these games don't get large rosters on the fly, or in very extreme cases(MvC2 as I pointed out) the balance is very poor.

And a fighting game with poor balance leads to many people playing the same stale old characters over and over again, which is why I keep bringing it up.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Supposed leaked info involving ICO.

PLEASE let this mean Ico is going to be a playable character. Because if he's in, Wander's practically a shoo-in.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

I think the Smash Bros. comparisons are because it's a four person free for all fighter using 3D models in a 2D plane that can move freely and jump around platforms. There are a lot of crossover fighting games but few games specifically like that. And I'm also pretty sure Smash Bros. was the first to popularize that particular style.

I really hope Polygon Man is in this game. He'd make the most sense as a stage.

And now that this game is coming out I really REALLY hope to see Sega do a crossover fighter.

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y H I B I K I <3 765Bro's Avatar

THE PRINCE

( Katamari Damacy~ )
    HAPPY HIBIKI'S BIRTHDAY DAY 2014
    LOVE YA'LL

Quote Originally Posted by Nap1400 View Post

PLEASE let this mean Ico is going to be a playable character. Because if he's in, Wander's practically a shoo-in.
    Oh, that's neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nap1400 View Post
    You are now imagining a level where you fight on top of a colossus who tries to knock everyone off.

Wheelie Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Snifit View Post
    I think the Smash Bros. comparisons are because it's a four person free for all fighter using 3D models in a 2D plane that can move freely and jump around platforms. There are a lot of crossover fighting games but few games specifically like that. And I'm also pretty sure Smash Bros. was the first to popularize that particular style.
    2D plane?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    I was actually going to raise the example of Blazblue, but that's just proving the point further, isn't it? What other new fighting game(s) can you think of that started off with an expansive cast?

I would actually count the crossover fighters as their own series, yes, because they've got more people and experience among themselves on working on such things. Consider as well that this(that is, Sony Battle Royale) is being developed by a rather new company, rather than Capcom, who've been working on fighting games for a while.
    Well, the team itself is made up of veeterans of the fighting game genre, from both sides, be it the design or enjoyment side (as in, more than a few profesional fighting game players on staff).

As for a newish studio prohibiting size, well, Netherrealm hadn't made a game when they tackled MK 9, and yet that game has 32 characters.

You can say this is a sequel to an established franchise, but the question becomes, is the limitting factor for new franchises that they run out of time, or out of ideas? Did they limit BlazBlue's initial roster because they had hit a wall, or because they were in danger of repeating themselves? In this instance, the latter is definitely not a concern.

Well, the team itself is made up of veeterans of the fighting game genre, from both sides, be it the design or enjoyment side (as in, more than a few profesional fighting game players on staff).
    Yes, I realize that they have professional fighting game players on staff, which is why I'm especially bringing up the idea of balance - because we may or may not see a rather balanced roster not just in terms of representation, but also in viability for competitive picks.

Also why I'm bringing up the idea of "you shouldn't be hoping for an overly large cast of characters since it'd be a nightmare to balance".

As for a newish studio prohibiting size, well, Netherrealm hadn't made a game when they tackled MK 9, and yet that game has 32 characters.

You can say this is a sequel to an established franchise, but the question becomes, is the limitting factor for new franchises that they run out of time, or out of ideas? Did they limit BlazBlue's initial roster because they had hit a wall, or because they were in danger of repeating themselves? In this instance, the latter is definitely not a concern.
    I see a point for regards on the studio, but also realize that MK is not a new-ish series. They've already had established characters from prior games, don't forget.

Also note I said "consider as well". The main point is that these new fighting game series usually start off with smallish rosters of 10-15 characters to begin with, SFxT was brought up as a rebuttal and you're replying to my counter-rebuttal to that..

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

I might care, but first, which system?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJedi224 View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm terrible at telling who's being sarcastic and who's just trolling and stuff, are you being serious here?

The name of the game is Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale - obviously saying it's going to be on Playstation. If you're going to come in here only to bash Sony, I'll say stop right there because that leads to nowhere productive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    The name of the game is Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale - obviously saying it's going to be on Playstation. If you're going to come in here only to bash Sony, I'll say stop right there because that leads to nowhere productive at all.
    I mean, is it the second one, the third one, or the PSP?

"I'm not in the mood." itsameluigi1290's Avatar

It's for the PS3. I hope you have one :P

I wonder what's happening when that timer expires. Hopefully a couple characters will be revealed, or stages.

Wheelie Rider

They haven't made a game for the Ps2 in 2 years, and that was a port of a PsP game. The last time Sony put major effort into a Ps2 game was 2007.

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y H I B I K I <3 765Bro's Avatar

Oh my goodness, so many obscure terrible fighters I want into this for no reason. Is there any way we could add a thread about this for character speculation?
    HAPPY HIBIKI'S BIRTHDAY DAY 2014
    LOVE YA'LL

Sir Weezy Von Koffington dryuriev7777's Avatar

I know Sony said that there will be some 3rd party support, but I had a hard time just thinking of other first party characters not shown in the gameplay trailers beyond characters from Uncharted, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ratchet 'n Clank. Then I read up on Wikipedia about what exactly Sony owns and I saw that they own the Legend of Dragoon series so if they add Dart and/or Rose then this might be the greatest game ever made. I am now thoroughly interested in this game.
    Radical to the max!

Wheelie Rider
    Well, they did just release Legend of Dragoon on the PsN, so they may be using that to check interest.

Quote Originally Posted by itsameluigi1290 View Post
    It's for the PS3. I hope you have one :P

I wonder what's happening when that timer expires. Hopefully a couple characters will be revealed, or stages.
    I have a horrible suspicion it will be for a countdown to another reveal at E3.
    Last edited by Eltrotraw; May 7th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Well chaps, there seems to have been a bit of a leak. These characters will make an appearance in All-stars:

Daxter
    Jak
    Gex
    Crash Bandicoot
    Ratchet
    Clank
    Captain Qwark
    Dr. Nefarious
    Spyro
    Dr. Neo Vortex
    Nathan Drake
    Victor Sullivan
    Murray
    Bentley
    Rayman

Source.
    As you can see, the source is chatty voice actors. Some of these might only get background speaking roles, and completely mute characters(like Sackboy) are obviously not on this list. I also don't see any Japanese characters, so it's safe to assume that it is incomplete.
    I think it is also safe to assume that
    Drake, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Rayman
    are going to be playable. Sony probably doesn't knock on a third party's dev door to use 1 of their characters as background character. And the first 3 speak for themselves, really.

&&&& YEAH, CRASH BANDICOOT! And they'd BETTER use the old Spyro design! AND HOLY &&&&ING &&&& RAYMAN! I just finished playing Rayman Origins, geez, I wish I had a PS3!

Sir Weezy Von Koffington dryuriev7777's Avatar

I dunno if that's a legit leak or not. You can edit IMDb right? Because it looks like someone went through and just added the most popular Sony characters and filled them in with whoever most recently did the voice acting for them. Granted it's probably true seeing as they are the more popular characters Sony has; I just don't see how anyone could have information about voice actors already. Unless I'm missing sources on IMDb or something.
    Radical to the max!

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

I got the impression from that site that the profiles are from the actual actors and they are the ones who edit them. My apologies if that's wrong.

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

Keep in mind that these same "leaks" happened all the time in the buildup to Brawl- remember when everyone flipped out over Krystal being "confirmed"? Not saying it's NOT a valid source, but remember to take these things with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    Keep in mind that these same "leaks" happened all the time in the buildup to Brawl- remember when everyone flipped out over Krystal being "confirmed"? Not saying it's NOT a valid source, but remember to take these things with a grain of salt.
    I understand what you're saying, and I think it's easy to say that some characters on the list might not be playable, just that they have speaking roles in the game, in the same vein as Krystal.

Quote Originally Posted by DededeMan202 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and I think it's easy to say that some characters on the list might not be playable, just that they have speaking roles in the game, in the same vein as Krystal.
    Or that we have overexcited fans reading too much into a site that can be edited by anyone. Does no one remember when 50 cent(the rapper) was listed to be the voice of Epona in Twilight Princess(check the date of the article if you think I'm lying)? Or how James Harper forgot what character he voiced in Starcraft, and IMDb listed him as playing the role of Zeratul(when he was supposed to be the role of Arcturus Mengsk)?

The point is that the site has inaccuracies because it can be edited by anyone. It's nowhere near a trusted source.

We have no idea what the cast is and speculation's running high already, but jumping to conclusions like this isn't a great way to go by it. Sure, it's something to watch out for, but getting excited over "leaks" like this doesn't do good most of the time.

Thread Information