Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Skullgirls

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

Skullgirls

Skullgirls is a fast-paced, 2D, tournament-grade fighting game developed by Reverge Labs, lead by tournament champ Mike “Mike Z” Zaimont and artist Alex “o_8” Ahad, and available on PSN and X-Box Live.
    The game has a very interesting art style, with a completely hand-drawn animation and real-time lighting. At the moment there are only eight characters with two planned DLC characters. It boasts a variable tag battle system in that you can play with mismatched teams of one, two, or three characters. Contains an anti-infinite system and a exceptionally lag-free online mode.
    It operates on a six-button system and control-stick commands for special moves similar to Street Fighter and has been related to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in terms of gameplay and combos. It has an excellent tutorial mode to ease new players into various control schemes and mechanics along with unique story modes for individual characters complete with their own endings, though they have all been considered non-canon and are more exploring what would happen if a certain girl had triumphed over the others.
    Both story and arcade mode include one final boss that is hard as &&&& to defeat.
    The soundtrack has many jazz inspirations, all the characters are colorful and unique, and the world built around the game is very dark and interesting.
    The official site can be found here.
    Note: This post belongs to Peacock, no touching.
    Last edited by TheMightyBox; April 19th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Banned

Re: Skullgirls

I stayed up 'til 2:30 am two nights ago watching the story mode for every character in this game.

Skullgirls is fantastic for an indie game, and I suspect it'll be quite prominent at tournaments from here on out. I don't have the time or credit cards to actually purchase this game, but you can all consider me a big fan!

Did anyone else totally freak when Peacock
    had the nightmare about getting her eyes popped out?
    I know I did!

Ooh, I play this game. surprised to find a thread about it on what I would peg as a nintendo site.

Pro-tip: the first post needs significantly more Peacock.

also, I play on PSN,

also also, the first post could use a little more information, like how it uses a six button format (ala street fighter) and plays similar to marvel vs capcom 2 in terms of combos and stuff.

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

I've been wanting to get this game for a while, but I have neither of the consoles it comes out on (as seems to be the norm with games I'm looking at >_<) and it doesn't look like there are any plans for a Steam release, at least anytime soon. Drat.

Here's my contribution in the form of something I've said before:
    I really got into Skullgirls for the villains. Nothing against the heroes, but the villains are just really creative, especially considering the recent '40 characters with 7 different movesets' trend in fighters.
    Fewer characters can be a good thing more often than you'd think. Plus, this way you can main everybody.
    Last edited by Snickerway; April 19th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

I've been highly interested in this for some time now, for various reasons, but seeing as I don't have a PS3 or a 360 right now, I'm hoping for a PC release soon.

And I'm surprised to see so many people interested in this game in here, since, you know, fighter.

I was wondering if there'd be a thread for this game. Heck I debated about making one myself this morning.
    This game is amazing. I love everything about it.

I've been trying out the whole cast but I keep coming back to a team of Cerebella and Peacock.

I would have made one a week ago had I known people here actually knew/cared about it.

and I personally use some variation of Peacock/Valentine (either together or val alone)

I've tried some of the other characters but decided they are just not my style, especially after being bodied using fillia while my cousin (who had never played the game before) mashed his way to victory using double.

I really like Valentine and Ms. Fortune as well. I just prefer two character teams (I'm a big Tatsunoko vs Capcom fan) and I love Bella and Peacock. I might try and fit Val and Fortune together at some point. The others are cool and all...but not my thing.

I've been pretty hyped for this game. I remember reading Alex Ahad's livejournal entries about the characters. Once I found out the game was actually getting made I squealed.

Can't wait for the DLC mainly because Squiggly looks really REALLY interesting.

Oh man I want to play this game so bad. I downloaded the demo on my PS3, but I haven't quite been given the chance to play it yet.

I've been looking into maining Filia when I start because I want to get used to the basics first, and she seems like your standard "all around" character. Plus I love Prehensile Hair.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

Standing on the brink of insanity with one foot on a banana peel. TheMightyBox's Avatar

I've been maining Ms. Fortune/Peacock, it used to just be Peacock, but I got owned online with just a zoning character, so I added a rushdown into things.
    And Peacock is just plain awesome.
    If I ever have some words of infinite wisdom, I'll be sure to tell you.

Peacock is hilariously awesome, but I will agree she's kinda bad alone (at least for me, since I can't hold a combo with her worth my salt).

I actually use Valentine's savage bypass (QCF HK) as an assist for peacock because I realize it is pretty damn useful. If it hits, it usually ends up throwing the opponent into Peacock's projectiles, and if it's blocked, or hits during a block string, it'll straight up push the opponent pretty far back, giving me more room for shenanigans.... but maybe it only works because i'm in like, tier 3, lol.

I've been using Cerebella/Peacock the most. Peacock's item drop that tracks (the HK version) really helps Bella. If the attack hits it gives her some time to get in or start some attacks. If they block it, that just sets them up to be grabbed. I haven't found a good Cerebella assist for Peacock yet. Her crouching HP is a pretty good anti-air so I might stick with that because Peacock needs some air support. I also like using the Diamond Drop, in case people get too close, and the Cere-Copter because it's an all around useful one.

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Nn, see I want to play this game, but I'm pretty damn awful at fightan games.
    Also looking around the site, finding where and how to purchase is an exercise in futility.

I guess I'll just kind of like the designs from afar and ponder how exactly Ms. Fortune's top works. Like, I'm pretty sure double-sided tape is involved here. Somebody call Neil Buchanan!

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curus View Post
    Also looking around the site, finding where and how to purchase is an exercise in futility.
    Huh? You can download it from PSN or XBLA. I'm not sure what's confusing.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Quote Originally Posted by Curus View Post
    Nn, see I want to play this game, but I'm pretty damn awful at fightan games.

I guess I'll just kind of like the designs from afar and ponder how exactly Ms. Fortune's top works. Like, I'm pretty sure double-sided tape is involved here. Somebody call Neil Buchanan!
    It's downloadable on XBLA and PSN store. I can tell you that much.

Not quite sure on Ms. Fortune's top...

EDIT: Ninja'd. Of course...

My VGM Arrangements.

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    Huh? You can download it from PSN or XBLA. I'm not sure what's confusing.
    I have no idea what either of those things are, you forget that I am the complete gameless anomaly of this forum.
    ...Google tells me that those mean two consoles I don't have, anyway. Welp.

I just picked the game up. I love the music and design, but it's kind of annoying that there's no movelist in the game (yes, there's a downloadable pdf listing the moves, but that's much less convenient even if it has nice art).

The easiest cpu is also somewhat difficult for being the easiest setting. I mean, I'm sure I'll be fine on a higher difficulty setting after I learn the game, but having a really easy cpu setting helps me to learn how to play.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Ms. Fortune's AI and the final boss are both pretty ridiculous. Although I can't tell if Ms. Fortune's AI is broken, or it's just hard to guard against a shadow character.

Final boss though? Yeah she's totally broken.

Right now I'm playing as Filia and Valentine in a two-woman team.

I've noticed that things are much easier when I have two characters (before I was just playing as Filia by herself). Maybe it's because they can heal when there are multiple characters.

Sleepwalk isn't as hard anymore, though I still haven't switched over to Easy.

I'm thinking of adding Painwheel to my team as a third character. I'll have to see if I like how she plays.

If anyone else who has the 360 version wants to play online, shoot me a VM.
    Last edited by Superninfreak; April 23rd, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Finally got to sit down and play the demo.

Pretty cool, but it's really hard to play with a standard controller. I think I'll get an arcade stick before I buy this. Just feel like it'll play easier.

My VGM Arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nap1400 View Post
    Finally got to sit down and play the demo.

Pretty cool, but it's really hard to play with a standard controller. I think I'll get an arcade stick before I buy this. Just feel like it'll play easier.
    I haven't had too much trouble with the controls since I got used to them. What about the controls are giving you trouble? I'm guessing that it's the fact that certain things require you to hit two buttons at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Superninfreak View Post
    I haven't had too much trouble with the controls since I got used to them. What about the controls are giving you trouble? I'm guessing that it's the fact that certain things require you to hit two buttons at once?
    Exactly that. Plus the fact that I'm used to using the L2/R2 buttons for hitting all buttons at once thanks to Marvel vs. Capcom 3, while here it's the assist buttons.

I've been saving up for an arcade stick anyway, so I'll probably get that, then buy the full version of Skullgirls.

My VGM Arrangements.

Keep in mind that you'll still have to hit multiple buttons. An Arcade Stick will still only use 8 buttons, like a controller does, so it poses the same issues here.

Not if it's easier to access those buttons. The way a fight stick is made leaves your entire right hand free to hit all of the buttons, as opposed to a controller where you can only use your thumb and possibly index finger.

I've played Tekken in the arcades, and I feel a stick works much smoother for me.

My VGM Arrangements.

I was thinking about getting a stick for this game but I like the way regular controllers feel. I really like the fact that they seemed to design the game in a way that either controller works. I also like that the buttons for a grab are the same buttons I used to super in MvC3. It's like I've already been trained to use Cerebella ha ha

Thread Information