Thread: Should We Continue to Drill Oil?

Wheelie Rider

Should We Continue to Drill Oil?

I have to write a one page paper for my Environmental Science class about oil drilling. I am NOT looking for arguments. I am not good with political ideas and such, so I am just wanting to read what everyone else thinks, and form my own opinions based on that. Thank you so much guys!

Question is:

Should we continue to drill oil or not? [for fuel]

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Re: Should We Continue to Drill Oil?

I don't have a real opinion on this, but I don't think that you should disallow arguments. Debates are crucial for exploring different stances on any issue.

Just sayin'.

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

So you want our ideas concerning a political issue, but you don't want political ideas?

Politics is inseparable from issues like this.

I also don't understand why you don't want argument. It doesn't help you to know what we think if we don't tell you why we think it.

I think that we need to ween ourselves off of oil. When you say "Should We Continue to Drill Oil", it's hard to know what you mean exactly. Obviously an immediate cessation of oil production would be a bad idea. The big thing is that we need to invest in alternative forms of energy. We need to get those in place and switch to them from oil.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Wheelie Rider

Well, this was the prompt I was given by my professor. And if you want to argue, go ahead.
    And I didn't say you couldn't include your political views on this.

I just want to see all sides of this possible. Thanks again, everyone.

The only RPer who RPs shopping in the glitz pit Captain Panda's Avatar

If only I thought of getting away with doing this, there'd be a fresh topic every week.

As for my view, I think we should, mainly because we rely on it so much. Not just for power, but for materials like polymers and suchlike. To stop using it will need a substitute, and the only way that could completely replace oil would be nuclear fusion. Because why not. Fusion can produce masses of energy, and could be sustainable with the exception of degrading chamber walls.

Fusion for future!
    Spoiler: Quotes 

Wheelie Rider

Thank you for the responses guys! Keep 'em coming please!

Also, any trusted websites you guys suggest I check out? Thank you so much.

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

Well, for the foreseeable future I don't see any hope for an end to oil drilling. However, we really should invest in tougher safety regulations on oil companies, to try and prevent oil spills and other preventable disasters. Eventually we should aim to ween ourselves off of all fossil fuels. Like SNF suggested, investing in alternative energy sources is the key. I just hate how much of a hold the big fossil fuel companies have on our country's politics, which makes investing in any of their competitors politically dangerous, and therefore unattractive to many politicians.

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

Wheelie Rider

Oh wow, I forgot about this thread. So uh, yeah, I got a "checkmark" on that paper. Yup, a big fat red checkmark. He didn't even really grade that paper. Now I feel stupid for making a big deal about this.

Well, I pretty much think that we need to wean off oil and in the meantime look for alternate energy sources [which it seems like we are doing that now. I don't know, call me ignorant].

Frauds are people too... people who just can't win. Forum Veteran Deathfish64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoQueen View Post
    Well, I pretty much think that we need to wean off oil and in the meantime look for alternate energy sources [which it seems like we are doing that now. I don't know, call me ignorant].
    There are a lot of groups that are working towards that goal, but at least in the United States big oil companies hold a huge amount of power. For the sake of their profits, oil companies will use their money and government influence to try and slow progress in any way that they can. So, we are sort of advancing towards being weaned off of oil, but our progress has been dismally slow and will probably continue to be so until/unless we can somehow reduce the influence of money in politics.

"I'm not in-sane. In fact I'm so far out of sane that you appear as only a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity."

Putting a cap in your benefits Forum Moderator Superninfreak's Avatar

We're not really weening off of oil so much as we're weening off of foreign oil. Most of the focus politically seems to be towards drilling for oil in the US instead of finding alternative energy solutions.
    "Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." Mordin Solus, Mass Effect 2

Responsible for Wario's Future Execution LeftyGreenMario's Avatar
    Wherever your imagination wants it to be.

Deja vu, NintendoQueen.

I think we should continue drilling, but we have to search and develop for alternate energy sources. We can't simply switch to alternate energy; it's not productive.
    Is corn grass? Can you make fancy headdresses with it?

Wheelie Rider

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGreenMario View Post
    Deja vu, NintendoQueen.

I think we should continue drilling, but we have to search and develop for alternate energy sources. We can't simply switch to alternate energy; it's not productive.
    Oh, I know right? Silly me.

But, yes alternate energy seems to be the popular answer amongst people.

Thread Information