Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta draw 'em all!

In a town, in a city, in a county, in a state, in a country, on a continent, on a planet, etc.

Lightbulb Gotta draw 'em all!

They're both lovely things that gnaw at my time and attention.

I've just adored Pokémon since I was little and could never stop drawing them. Eventually this grew into a full-blown love and appreciation of art. I draw at least once or twice a day with little to no falter. I can't ever really put my love for Pokémon into words-- not even one thousand would do -- so I've settled for this approach.
    I do happen to draw things other than Pokémon, though, just not as often.

But, yes! I've been meaning to share what I've made with more people. I love sharing my passion. I just hope they please!

_______COMPLETE & COLORED_______

_______SKETCHES_______

*Arcanine
    *Darmanitan
    *Ditto
    *Dragons
    *Mismagius
    *Oshawott
    *Parasect
    *Princess Peach
    *Roselia
    *Whimsicott
    Venusaur
    ???

Wow, I barely ever sketch anymore.

_______OTHER Doodly... things_______

*old and/or simply dated piece

I'm also fond of taking suggestions/requests and completing interesting ones. Or ones I just feel like doing at the time.
    I love offering advice and critique/help to others, too! I welcome it as well.

Last edited by Red; June 28th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Re: Gotta draw 'em all!

It might be me being fond of the original designs, but I'm a bit mixed on your approach to the pokemon here. They look much more sleek and lack the cartoony edge to them, which works for some quite well(i.e. Charizard, Garchomp, Hypno, Haunter), but kinda drastically changes the design/feel of some of the other ones(like Minccino, your Whimsicott sketch, Mew... most of the "cuter" ones, I suppose).

Interestingly enough your Scrafty actually seems to stay really loyal to the original design the most from what I see of your art.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, people might like it, I'm just really mixed on the different approach to the design of the pokemon. I do like the effort and time you're taking into doing this though, and don't let the critique discourage you. You're doing a good job!

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles. Forum Veteran AuraKnight's Avatar

Don't think there's anything I can say that I already haven't said to you, but I'm definitely a huge fan.

Quite like the Girafarig design actually - really helps emphasise the sinister nature of the chomp head. Giraffe head looks like a docile animal, but the chomp head looks ready to bite hands off or something.
    Home with the milk in the morning / Singing the same old song
    ---
    ---
    ---
    It really does not matter what you are called, or where your work is placed, as long as it brings some kind of joy to some person some place.
    - Charles M. Schultz -

In a town, in a city, in a county, in a state, in a country, on a continent, on a planet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    It might be me being fond of the original designs, but I'm a bit mixed on your approach to the pokemon here. They look much more sleek and lack the cartoony edge to them, which works for some quite well(i.e. Charizard, Garchomp, Hypno, Haunter), but kinda drastically changes the design/feel of some of the other ones(like Minccino, your Whimsicott sketch, Mew... most of the "cuter" ones, I suppose).

Interestingly enough your Scrafty actually seems to stay really loyal to the original design the most from what I see of your art.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, people might like it, I'm just really mixed on the different approach to the design of the pokemon. I do like the effort and time you're taking into doing this though, and don't let the critique discourage you. You're doing a good job!
    Some of these were requests I took and is why several look sloppier than others.
    I, myself, haven't ever been too fond of the cute look and I take it upon myself to find a nice, different approach. I still don't consider myself that good at stylizing and I'm still working on finding my own "style" through it all.
    I don't mind the critique at all, in fact I welcome it. I'd love to see the different interpretations, opinions, or preferences. It's all good~
    (Gah, phone. Apologies if there are mistakes.)
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

The main thing I have to say about the drastically different design for mainly the cute ones is that it doesn't resemble the original pokemon so much(that whimsicott sketch being the heaviest offender), but I suppose if they were requests and such I can see some reasoning for that.

Still, I'd like to see your results for the whole set. Maybe you'll find your own style along the way, since you're going with a sleeker, more "vicious"/"realistic" look among most of the pokemon.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Oh, wow. I'm not a big fan of Pokemon, honestly, (Never played the games. I don't have anything against them specifically, but yeah.) but your art is totally awesome. I love the style and the coloring and really pretty much everything about it.

Since I'm a bad critic I'll just say that you're doing a great job. You're a very good artist and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :P
    and the things that keep us apart
    keep me alive

and the fears that keep me alive
    keep me alone

Quote Originally Posted by Piepi View Post
    Oh, wow. I'm not a big fan of Pokemon, honestly, (Never played the games. I don't have anything against them specifically, but yeah.) but your art is totally awesome. I love the style and the coloring and really pretty much everything about it.

Since I'm a bad critic I'll just say that you're doing a great job. You're a very good artist and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :P

Gosh, thanks! I really appreciate it :>

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    The main thing I have to say about the drastically different design for mainly the cute ones is that it doesn't resemble the original pokemon so much(that whimsicott sketch being the heaviest offender), but I suppose if they were requests and such I can see some reasoning for that.

Still, I'd like to see your results for the whole set. Maybe you'll find your own style along the way, since you're going with a sleeker, more "vicious"/"realistic" look among most of the pokemon.
    Whimsicott? Wow, really? Hn. Interesting. That one I made on my own. I usually just get a name and have liberty to do as I please and not resembling the official design is precisely the point; it's simply a different interpretation.

After a while I noticed drawing Pokémon lost most of its pizzazz. It got repetitive after a good while of drawing them all day, and after seeing some pictures of them with what they might look like in real life I decided to experiment. Then it led to this~!
    Most of the time, the requests end up being "softer" ones that keep to the base.

I do hope to clean up my style and technique though, very badly!
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

Smash Bros. Loser itsameluigi1290's Avatar

Dat mewtwo FREAKED ME OUT! In a good way, of course. It seems like Matt isn't the only one with awesome talent I LOVE the aron, and I've tried to catch it but IT'S TOO EVASIVE.

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

These are very interesting and lovely gritty, and quite a few are very impressive. My favourites would be Roselia, Haunter, Torchik and Zoroark. However, the style seems all over the place. Now this isn't a large issue in most images and you said you're gonna clean this up, but for the meantime it does create some weird contrasts in the images that hold 2 (or more) Pokemon, which to me is most obvious in the Scizor/Kangashkan one. Scizor looks like a more gritty, but very faithful version of the real deal, whereas Kangaskahn... From momma kangaroo to dragon? On their own they would've looked great(tho' Kan's baby should probably be a lot more visible), but together they are too different in style for me to truly appreciate it.

Either way, the rest of your stuff is mostly excellent, I can't wait to see more.

Things like that make me sick. Chiffon's Avatar

Oh my, those are very nice. I am especially fond of the colors you use, especially on the first few drawings there (the Aipom, the Arom and the Dunsparce). And I don't even like pokemon that much!

I think I'd like to see how you draw humans more, considering that VS Screen and the Princess Peach sketch are the drawings that interested me the most (even though the latter is supposedly old and/or dated), but well, it's your call anyway.

May I ask for how long have you been drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
    Oh my, those are very nice. I am especially fond of the colors you use, especially on the first few drawings there (the Aipom, the Arom and the Dunsparce). And I don't even like pokemon that much!

I think I'd like to see how you draw humans more, considering that VS Screen and the Princess Peach sketch are the drawings that interested me the most (even though the latter is supposedly old and/or dated), but well, it's your call anyway.

May I ask for how long have you been drawing?
    You'll be seeing a bit more soon then! I'm actually working on a present for someone that involves Sabrina~

This is always a question I can't ever give a surefire answer to. Since I was around 7? 8? 13? a year or two ago? I just remember being really into drawing characters from shows and stuff and having all sorts of kids ask me to draw things. I just eased into it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Zant View Post
    These are very interesting and lovely gritty, and quite a few are very impressive. My favourites would be Roselia, Haunter, Torchik and Zoroark. However, the style seems all over the place. Now this isn't a large issue in most images and you said you're gonna clean this up, but for the meantime it does create some weird contrasts in the images that hold 2 (or more) Pokemon, which to me is most obvious in the Scizor/Kangashkan one. Scizor looks like a more gritty, but very faithful version of the real deal, whereas Kangaskahn... From momma kangaroo to dragon? On their own they would've looked great(tho' Kan's baby should probably be a lot more visible), but together they are too different in style for me to truly appreciate it.

Either way, the rest of your stuff is mostly excellent, I can't wait to see more.
    Oh of course! I actually agree wholeheartedly.
    I marked some that were old with an asterisk. That was from last summer. I actually improved a good bit since then.
    Maybe I should just separate old and recent works completely?
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

ebooks, Horse. (horse_ebooks). “Leg Butt” 18 Nov 2011, 12:38 PM. Tweet. Forum Veteran JSG's Avatar

Considering I've actually seen you stream some of these stuff before in the Skype chat, I already have a good feeling what these looked like when I waltzed in here. I'm just here dropping by and saying that holy &&&& that's pretty good, and what I love about your art the most is the style you draw them in, especially the ones such as your Mismagius and Mewtwo ones, which are very unique styles and such.

Also HI Sami I want to see you draw something non-Pokemon related and see how that goes. c:

Twilight. Well, not really. Just looks a whole lot like it.

Oh of course! I actually agree wholeheartedly.
    I marked some that were old with an asterisk. That was from last summer. I actually improved a good bit since then.
    Maybe I should just separate old and recent works completely?
    Or you could sort them from eldest to newest. It's always fun to see how an artist improves over time. Perhaps you could even use those delightful little thumbnails some of the other artists around here are using, though I have no clue how to do it and if it's hard or not...

Quote Originally Posted by King Zant View Post
    Or you could sort them from eldest to newest. It's always fun to see how an artist improves over time. Perhaps you could even use those delightful little thumbnails some of the other artists around here are using, though I have no clue how to do it and if it's hard or not...
    I'll probably do that some other time! I've been short of actual free time and was in a bit of a rush to get to bed when I made this as well.
    I do cherish my sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Considering I've actually seen you stream some of these stuff before in the Skype chat, I already have a good feeling what these looked like when I waltzed in here. I'm just here dropping by and saying that holy &&&& that's pretty good, and what I love about your art the most is the style you draw them in, especially the ones such as your Mismagius and Mewtwo ones, which are very unique styles and such.

Also HI Sami I want to see you draw something non-Pokemon related and see how that goes. c:
    Hahahahijsgsggsg.

I might stream the Sabrina picture if if I ever become confident with the way I draw people~
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

Majestic Flying Greenscaled Wombat Wariofan1's Avatar

Gotta love that Haunter. I like how these drawings have a more serious/wicked approach to the genre, definately liking it, keep it up!

Thanks so much!
    I'll have more to post in a short while as well!
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

Oh look!

A birthday present I made for AuraKnight~
    Spoiler: Sabrina and her Venomoth 
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

I should feel terrible for not commenting in this thread sooner. Anyway, these are all pretty amazing, and you definitely know how to make Pokemon look interesting and unique. Can't wait to see more.

I'm really digging the Sabrina and Venomoth one since you drew not only one of my favorite Pokemon, but also one of my favorite gym leaders. I like the way you draw humans, and I guess that's one of the reasons why I really like the VS Screen too.

Thanks! Gosh, much appreciated.
    I'm working on filling a request or two now as well.

I might be able to take more given people aren't bothered by receiving sketches...
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

And another.

Though this was scrapped together and I didn't even bother to clean it up. Heh.
    Spoiler: Volcarona Gijinka 

I'm also going to open up requests since I've taken some already.
    I'll probably use some sort of slot system~
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

It's a shotgun opera and the fat lady is singing tonight Forum Veteran Eruedraith's Avatar
    Cast down with the smokers and the children

Oh... my. This is just wonderful stuff here. Because of my hiatus, I've been pretty lax with commenting in the Canvas, but I regret that now. Really cool art and all that. But I feel bad because now I feel like I'm just commenting to justify my request.

Welp, you haven't done a Marowak yet, so can I request that?

Except it has to be a jazz musician.

Jazz Marowak. Go.

I've been impressed with this art since before I registered here... The way you stylize the pokemon you draw is quite refreshing.

I have to say, I particularly like your Mewtwo rendition: it brings its identity as both a psychic powerhouse and a genetic experiment to the fore in a way that's chilling.

Venomoth also caught my eye for being so brilliantly insectoid. What's more, the art for Sabrina is crisp and clean, which provides a neat contrast.

Wow. You have some real talent in drawing. I feel motivated to try and draw again, just to see if I can at least compare to yours. Your two latest entries are crisp and colorful. The Volcarona human is nifty, and I like how well the cloths are incorporated to match the actual thing. I am a bit sorry for not posting in this sooner.
    A Moment of Change

Red face Re: Gotta draw 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by Eruedraith View Post
    Oh... my. This is just wonderful stuff here. Because of my hiatus, I've been pretty lax with commenting in the Canvas, but I regret that now. Really cool art and all that. But I feel bad because now I feel like I'm just commenting to justify my request.

Welp, you haven't done a Marowak yet, so can I request that?

Except it has to be a jazz musician.

Jazz Marowak. Go.
    It shall be done.

(Though my break's over and we're preparing for AP testing. Sigh.
    It might take a while to complete, especially so since I'm working on two other pieces at the moment...)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbeitfromme View Post
    I've been impressed with this art since before I registered here... The way you stylize the pokemon you draw is quite refreshing.

I have to say, I particularly like your Mewtwo rendition: it brings its identity as both a psychic powerhouse and a genetic experiment to the fore in a way that's chilling.

Venomoth also caught my eye for being so brilliantly insectoid. What's more, the art for Sabrina is crisp and clean, which provides a neat contrast.
    Oh, thank you!
    That's precisely what I was going for.

I really appreciate your comments~!

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Fox View Post
    Wow. You have some real talent in drawing. I feel motivated to try and draw again, just to see if I can at least compare to yours. Your two latest entries are crisp and colorful. The Volcarona human is nifty, and I like how well the cloths are incorporated to match the actual thing. I am a bit sorry for not posting in this sooner.
    Gosh, much obliged! Like any aspiring artist I can only hope to improve! You should definitely try it out, though getting to a certain degree of skill isn't an easy task. It takes (and took) a lot of patience. For some more than others.
    I didn't really notice the time going by though. I draw everyday so I don't really notice any changes myself until I bother to go look back at old pieces.
    That's around the time when I wonder where I went wrong and threaten to burn all my old sketchbooks, too!

I have been having fun making gijinkas. It's fun incorporating their designs into clothes (since I try to aim for something as close to human as possible) so I might do more by request or just because~
    Kudos to you Nintendo.

How do you as an artist decide on what parts of Pokemon get turned into their appearance, and how? Is there like, some sort of process to it(i.e. Bronzong's top "arms" are turned into a hat as I recall from one), or do you just decide it on the fly?

Thread Information