Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation

Re: Pronunciation

i used to pronounce archive ar-chive with the ch in words like cherry, chap etc instead of a k sound, i don't anymore though, i'm not a dum-dum

how do people say schedule i've heard skedule or ssshhhedule, i say skedule myself

p.s. damn southerners adding the letter r to words pointlessly
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFellowWithTheHat View Post
    And another amusing anecdote- I was once watching a gaming TV show which wasn't very good, when they reviewed Metroid Prime 2. What did they call Samus?

"Shame-us".

Apparently Samus is Irish now. :P
    Shamus O'Ran! Now with 100% more Irish!

I pronounce the word "route" like the word "root." And a lot of people think I'm pronouncing it wrong.

Grr.
    Monster Hunter Generations | Name: Yami G | HR: ???

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    Xbox: YamiGekusu | PSN: YamiGekusu | Nintendo Network: YamiGekusu

my Last Name Is Always said wrong They say "Gusman" Instead Of "Guzman"

uh I can't think of a user title ThatFellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YamiGekusu View Post
    I pronounce the word "route" like the word "root." And a lot of people think I'm pronouncing it wrong.

Grr.
    Actually, I do the same thing. Well... I sort of vary it.

In the Pokémon games, it's "Root 1" etc, but in real life I'd say "The cycling rowt" I'm odd that way.

Also Van Gogh has a weird pronunciation. It's something like "Han Hoffre" or something like that, it's just weird.

Also, I used to say Edgeworth's name as "Edges-worth", until I realised there wasn't an S.

Also "Re-giggity-giggity-gas". Just kidding with that one but that Pokémon has one weird name. :P

And I pretend that it's made of money... Feulin's Avatar

I've always pronounced Samus "Sah-mus", the way the Brawl announcer says it just doesn't sound right to me.

I used to pronounce Arceus as "Ar-see-us" but now I use "Ar-soos" I think it sounds better than "Ar-kee-us".

Ever since Bimblesnaff's rant, I've made it a habit to call him "Day-day-day" instead of "Dee-dee-dee".

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Bass is pronounced "Base" like the instrument, given the fact that alot of Mega Man characters are named after musical terms and whatnot.

http://backloggery.com/donugee <-- It may say "Donugee", but I bought most of those games...

Everyone pronounces my last name wrong. (Not telling you what it is) but I've been counted absent so many times in elementary school because of it.

And anyone who watches X-Play should know how mad it makes me how badly they butcher character and game names. Just a few days ago, when they were talking about great game openings, they pronounced "Onimusha" wrong. They pronounced it like, "Aw-nee-moo-shaw" not "Oh-nee-moo-shaw"

Last edited by YamiGekusu; April 12th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

You'll eat 'til you're full! Then you'll eat 'til you burst! Then you'll eat some more! Gun's Avatar

hey guys

it's aitch, not haitch

digital style Forum Veteran Darky's Avatar

I pronounce route as root too. Saying it as 'rowt' sounds really weird.

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

>I don't pronounce Mario as Mar-ee-oh, I pronounce it Mah-ree-oh, which is weird because I pronounce Wario in the total reverse, Woar-ee-oh instead of Wah-ree-oh. And Wall-oo-ee-gee, not Wah-loo-ee-gee.

MARE EE OH and LOO EE GEE go on this AMAZING ADVENTURE INSIDE BOWSER WAHOO

So I was wondering, I used to pronounce caramel as "carmull" but recently I've been pronouncing it as "car a mell" or exactly like it's spelled. Huh.

[also it's toosawn not tuckson, Tyler, get it right]

take that punk
    listen to that audio purr

and "Waddell" is "Wah Dell" not "waddle"

and Mackenzie is "Muh ken zee" not "mac en zee" or MACK

Last edited by ArtisticDuckie; April 14th, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

"Care-uh-bee-en"

That's how I been pronouncing "Caribbean" for the past 7+ years lol

And I pretend that it's made of money... Feulin's Avatar

OK, so I made a creature named Donny the Duizenald(you know, that thing in Donugee's Profile picture and sometimes his Avatar?). I named it after the Dutch words "duizendpoot" and "naald". Now I've always pronounced it "Doo-zen-ald", and that's probably wrong, so if any of you have a better understanding of the Dutch language, a more correct pronunciation would be appreciated.

Now, my username/ name of the little critter in my avatar, comes from the French words "feu" and "felin". As a result, I've always pronounced it "Foo-lee". I'm not totally sure if this is correct or not, so if you want to correct me on that too, please do.

http://backloggery.com/donugee <-- It may say "Donugee", but I bought most of those games...

Lost Levels C-3 >:(=( jdaster64's Avatar

Video-game related:
    - I've finally taken to pronouncing Wario "WAH-ree-oh" as opposed to "WOAR-ee-oh", as he himself insists it's pronounced that way.
    (Although by that logic, Waluigi is "WHAH-loo-EE-gee").
    - I still prefer "Deh-deh-deh", but I'm fine with "Dee-dee-dee" as well, although not because the Brawl announcer pronounced it that way
    (due to 64/Melee's "Sah-mus" and "Pi-KAH-chu").
    - I'm sort of on the fence about Bob-ombs, and pronounce it about halfway between "BOB-omb" and "Buh-BOMB".
    - "Dig-DUG", not "DIG-dug", but that's just a matter of stressed syllables, and it depends on context anyway.
    - No matter how many people disagree with me, as far as I'm concerned, Bow (from Paper Mario) rhymes with "Snow", period.

As for non-videogame terms, I always assumed that "sleight", like in the phrase "sleight of hand", was a homophone of "slate", but recently I've been informed it's a homophone of "slight". Forgivable, considering I'd seen the phrase in print long before I'd heard it uttered. I always pronounce either "EE-ther", although I occasionally pronounce neither "NYE-ther", depending on context. Also, "root", "pa-JAH-mas", "Care-uh-BEE-uhn".
    Last edited by jdaster64; April 16th, 2010 at 11:26 AM.

Check out my piano arrangements of video game music here!
    3DS Friend Code: 4141-3026-8303 ("Lucas" in Pokémon X, FS: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, Drifblim)

Quote Originally Posted by YamiGekusu View Post
    "Care-uh-bee-en"

That's how I been pronouncing "Caribbean" for the past 7+ years lol
    ka-rib-ian
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2m4x27t.gif

Man struggled against man until the end, heaving and clawing. A single hand rose from the pile of corpses spread across the Earth, until it, too, softened and returned to the soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnkFlVRCZc&feature=fvw

Chimera - chim-er-rah
    Mediocre - Medee-core (that's just because I misread it but now it's stuck)
    Circe - Sur-see (which is actually how it's said but I didn't know that for ages so I just wanted to say that it all)
    Dedede - Dee-dee-dee. That's how it's spelt, right? It how it will be said. Unless you are my friend who calls him Deedee :l
    Archpac - Ark-pahk. Though I guess I invented them so it doesn't matter. OH WELL.
    Asrahlafine - Az-rah-laff-een. No wait, that's the same as above. JUST IGNORE ME.
    Yoshi - Yoh-shee. It's how Yoshi says it, so that is how it should be.
    Mario: Mar-ee-oh. It's how Mario says it, so that is how it should be.
    Giygas - Gig-ee-yaz (I know that is wrong and I do not care). What is a Giygas? Is it some kind of pokemon?
    Pokemon - Poke-ay-mon.
    And TIS, I hate people that talk like that. Where I come from it is stereotyped (correctly, I'm afraid to say) as being a chav. Though those with a correct pronunciation and a Northern accent get poked at (thus is the story of my life).

If this doesn't tell you who my favourite character is, nothing will.

Resident Beatlemaniac Senor Cardgage's Avatar

Well, I've always pronounced Suicune strangely. I say it 'soo-kwine'.
    I say 'Ar-see-us' for Arceus as well.
    Must be a British thing... or it's just me... that's more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMaria View Post
    Chimera - chim-er-rah
    Mediocre - Medee-core (that's just because I misread it but now it's stuck)
    Circe - Sur-see (which is actually how it's said but I didn't know that for ages so I just wanted to say that it all)
    Dedede - Dee-dee-dee. That's how it's spelt, right? It how it will be said. Unless you are my friend who calls him Deedee :l
    Archpac - Ark-pahk. Though I guess I invented them so it doesn't matter. OH WELL.
    Asrahlafine - Az-rah-laff-een. No wait, that's the same as above. JUST IGNORE ME.
    Yoshi - Yoh-shee. It's how Yoshi says it, so that is how it should be.
    Mario: Mar-ee-oh. It's how Mario says it, so that is how it should be.
    Giygas - Gig-ee-yaz (I know that is wrong and I do not care). What is a Giygas? Is it some kind of pokemon?
    Pokemon - Poke-ay-mon.
    And TIS, I hate people that talk like that. Where I come from it is stereotyped (correctly, I'm afraid to say) as being a chav. Though those with a correct pronunciation and a Northern accent get poked at (thus is the story of my life).
    You can pronounce whatever fictional stuff you want wrongly, but you should really, really be saying mediocre like "mee-dee-OH-ker"

Also Giygas, a Pokémon? Whaaah? He's the cosmic destroyer, and entity of nothing but pure, distilled evil.

Resident Beatlemaniac Senor Cardgage's Avatar

How is Giygas actually pronounced?
    I always say it 'guy-gas', but what do I know?

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMaria View Post
    Heheheheh! Well, I do believe it's the local flavour round here...or at least, local to me.

Senor, I'd say 'Ar-see-us' is certainly not British...I mean, t'would be silliness to name a creation deity 'arse'. Unless it was one of those totally old-school creation myths where the Earth is made out of poo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Cardgage View Post
    Well, I've always pronounced Suicune strangely. I say it 'soo-kwine'
    I pronounce Suicune "Sook-yune", Raikou "Rai-Koo" and I used to pronounce Entei as "En-Tie" until I heard Ode To Minions.

And in my mind I always say Giygas as "Gii-Gas", which is probably wrong.

Also Pigeot is "Pidge-Ee-Ot", not "Pid-git" as in the PokéRap. Bloody PokéRap. :P

Too ignorant to be an oil tycoon VIP Curus's Avatar

Reminds me of that song.

"And how the Hell do you pronounbce Swee-coon, Soo-ee-sine, Swee-sine, Soo-ee-soon, I don't know..."

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

Here goes. Texan here, just in case you want to attribute my pronunciation to my background (you racist)
    In order of appearance me noticing in the topic!
    YO-She (Yo as in yogurt)
    WAH-ree-oh (Wah as in Waffle)
    WAH-loo-ee-jee (Wah + Luigi )
    DEE-dee-dee (As said before, day-to-day and dehdehdehderpderpderp sound terrible)
    k'THOO-loo (Don't really pronounce this word out loud, th sound as in "Beth" not as in "that")
    CAN-uh-layv (Because can a law vey sounds like something to do with lava)
    HOE-in or HOE-en (The 3DS needs Earth Ruby and Sea Sapphire versions)
    POKE-uh-mon (Kinda lazy about the accent mark, and this is the fastest way to say it)
    MAR-ee-oh or MAH-ree-oh (Barely different if you say it fast)
    ECK-roo-teek (Just read out the sounds dangit)
    BASE (BASS bass is a fish)
    AR-see-us (Arse is not a curse word IN AMERICA!)
    GEE-y'giss (both G's are like "bag" not "stage")
    ree-ZORS-full (S as in "snake" not as in "peas") (Re-source-full sounds like a snake)
    THUH (Where the TH sounds kind of like a V) (Thee only if I am really emphasizing it)
    ALL-ih-mar (BRAWL-ih-mar) (An olive imp drinking a martini)
    COT-uh-MAR-ee (Japanese-looking word, so I think I pronounce it Japanese-ie...)
    oh-NET (Does anybody else do this?)
    co-KEE-ree (same as Someone Else)
    CAW-kuh-REE-co (About the same as Someone Else)
    hi-LEE-uh (oddly, I pronounce the lake, "Lake HI-lee-uh")
    GORE-on
    ZORE-uh (Zoro!)
    DAY-coo
    ray-QUA-zuh (Qua as in qualm)
    ruh-TAH-tuh (Tah as in tattle or battle)
    TOO-who (Is how I pronounce it, I have no idea)
    ARR-kive (ARRRRRR)
    SAM-us (Sam and us. Easy. Some us is dumb and Shamus is wtfbbq)
    ROWT (Sounds better when you say reroute than reroot)
    kuh-RIB-ee-un (I pronounce the pirates of this movie the same way, regardless of how the movie and commercials pronounce it)
    chie-MEER-uh or chie-MEE-ruh
    I used to say SOO-ih-seen but now I say SWEE-coon because it sounds a bit cooler
    mee-dee-OH-ker (meh.)
    PIDGE-ee-aught (I know official pronunciation is Pih-jit but pidjit is an IDJIT)

More:
    zoh-ROO-uh or zore-YOO-uh
    zoh-ROAR'k or zoh-ROAR-ark
    ARK-uh-nine (so you can say BARK-uh-nine even if ar-CAY-nine fits perfectly with the pun)
    NOOK-yuh-ler TURR-wrists (just kidding)
    Last edited by Dinosaurshotgun; April 23rd, 2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: ruh to ree in resourceful and sounda turned to sounds a

Suicune is "SWEE-coon" for me.

Also "GUY-gas" seems to be the "generally accepted" way of saying Giygas. But it's such a weird name, pronounce it however you want, really.

In Japan, Giygas's name is "Gyiyg". They changed it for the American version of EarthBound. Though, strangely, he was named "Gieuge" in the official yet unreleased MOTHER translation. I would think that you'd pronounce it like "Gyeeg" or "Gyoog" or something. I guess it was too ambiguous and weird so they changed it for the first official release of the game. I Dunno.

I whip my mane back and forth (again) Dinosaurshotgun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Someone Else View Post
    Suicune is "SWEE-coon" for me.

Also "GUY-gas" seems to be the "generally accepted" way of saying Giygas. But it's such a weird name, pronounce it however you want, really.

In Japan, Giygas's name is "Gyiyg". They changed it for the American version of EarthBound. Though, strangely, he was named "Gieuge" in the official yet unreleased MOTHER translation. I would think that you'd pronounce it like "Gyeeg" or "Gyoog" or something. I guess it was too ambiguous and weird so they changed it for the first official release of the game. I Dunno.
    I always pronounced Gieuge "GEE-yih-gay" (All g's as in guess rather than page)
    I think I'm going to make a more comprehensive Pokemon pronunciation post.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Island Sausage View Post
    Soo-ee-soon
    ... Isn't that something Sims say?

... Well that was nerdy. And is that from the song "Pokémon What Happened To You?"? I remember hearing that a short time ago.

And the long "sss" sound in resourceful is called sibiliance [/english nerd]. I say it like that too. I also say Oh-Net, Hoe-En, Joe-Toe, Sin-Oh, Eggs-Eh-Cute, Eggs-Egg-You-Tor (both are wrong), and Dih-Men-Tee-Oh.

Thread Information