View Poll Results: should there be a limit to how many times the buster/arm cannon can be charged?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah. It's a basic weapon and such an ability makes it too strong

8 72.73%
  • No, it's fine the way it is.

3 27.27%
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Glitz Pit

Re: The Glitz Pit: Under Construction

(Very well. the 100 word minimun rule shall stay in place if it is out of my jurisdiction. Just saying, some events [like conceding, dying, and match set ups] really aren't things that need much effort put into them [and I'd rather that posts that involve a character dying kept brief rather than overtly graphic for future reference].
    But anyway, onto more pressing matters)

Suda saw what Spinda was up to, and with a snap of his fingers, a pair of jaws made of dark energy shot up from the ground and swallowed the bottle, dragging it down into darkness. "The audience is NOT allowed to interfere with ongoing fights. I don't know how you got hit though, I must have forgotten to turn on the barrier."
    Suda then pulled out a small remote, and a invisible wall suddenly shimmered between the stands and the arena.
    "There, we wouldn't want our precious audience getting injured, or giving unfair advantages, would we?"

(and umm, that'd be 1 AM for someone on GMT, I do not suggest trying to enter the brawl. Trust me, it's not intensely important. [plus it's easier for me to judge when there are fewer fighters, *cough*])
    Last edited by Inx; December 3rd, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Re: The Glitz Pit: Under Construction

The commander's attack flew right through one of the holograms, leaving Abel with a bit of a dilemma. (Just so we're clear, the holograms and Abel had initially surrounded the commander, making a square more or less.)

Alright, I've got an element of surprise, but he'll notice the limitations of the holograms shortly. I could imitate their bad aim, but then he can just go around strategically checking holograms without fear of getting hit. Of course, if I do fire at him, then he'll know it's me. Wait a second... not if I selectively disable holograms. The one directly opposite the hologram he attacked will still be aiming in his direction, it's the other two that don't work. So, if I go ahead and electronically disable them, he won't be able to tell, at least for a little longer.

His decision made, Abel deactivated two of his three holograms (the two closest to the commander), leaving only himself and one hologram still visible (with the real copy somewhat closer than the hologram.)

It was pretty likely the commander would figure it out soon, but in the meantime Abel planned to get in as much damage as possible with his arm cannon.

(By the way, in the event that someone randomly picks a copy to attack, I'll probably use random.org to see if they got the right one. This time the commander missed.)
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

Hey look it's Pac-man! Your day is now ruined. Cerd's Avatar

Re: The Glitz Pit

Cerd went to the shop to buy equipments to the brawl that would happen later. "Hmm... there sure are a lot of weapons here, most of them I don't even know how to use. I think I will buy this bottle of water. I mean, I need to keep myself hydrated! That's important to me, and I bet it's going to be very useful in the battles."

After making the purchase Cerd passed near the arena where it was ocurring the battle, and he heard some noise coming from it. "By this time the sparring fight between that robotic guy and that Tepig man must be almost over. It would probably be better if I had watched that fight. Oh well, at least I'm gonna have more surprises in the future battles."
    Last edited by Cerd; December 3rd, 2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: minor grammar corrections.

"Don't mind me, I'm just here being silly..."

click on my non-existing pokemon eggs and you will gain imaginary internets!

And now for something real:Here is my steam

The Pigmask took a few seconds to regain his composure, the powerful attack leaving him off-balance. It was a 1/4 chance he actually hit Abel, and he had decided to risk it. However, spinning around, he saw Abel was running out of options. Two holograms had disappeared, but each one was a slight distance away and he didn't have the time to charge a quick-strike, he would be blasted if he tried to rush them, and he wanted to leave his Shield Device on for emergencies. What to do... what to do....
    Then, in the flash of a second, the Commander whipped up his blaster, now charged, and blasted twice at the right Abel, and twice at the left. Then, for good measure, he prepared to roll to the side the real Abel appeared to be on.

[[Oh, just a question, why aren't audiences allowed to participate? They do that in the game, and I think it'd be a cool obstacle unique to the Glitz Pit map. As long as it wasn't frequent.]]

(Because it's not fair? It's one thing when you're fighting NPCs, where I can control the fight so that even with outside forces, the fight stays fair, but when two players are fighting each other to win, and when people can bet on ranked fights, I cannot allow other players to manipulate the outcome of a fight.

Now, that doesn't mean that Suda himself might not trigger an event or two that would cause a change to an arena, but it would usually be something that affects both fighters equally)

Abel quickly sidestepped both blasts, taking care to leave a direction open for dodging more shots.

I suppose I could just go invisible again, but it really doesn't seem to be necessary. Judging by his earlier actions that gun is powerful but easy to overheat, so delaying the confrontation would actually help him more than it would help me.

And, as surprises nobody, Abel just continues his strategy of hit and run with his arm cannon. Why mess with a working strategy?

Might as well turn off the hologram, it's fooling nobody now, and I don't particularly want him to realize that he's really reduced their capabilities by destroying that tracer.

(Random comment: I think I definitely want to get Abel a beam saber or such as soon as possible to increase the risk reward aspect and give his game some more variety.)
    You know, I looked at my empty signature and figured I'd try to come up with something clever.

I failed.

The Commander rolled towards Abel, and rushed him, preparing to jump-kick him the second it looked safe. It would be very bad to slip! Luckily, his gun still had a fair charge left, and it was good for a few more shots if such a mishap did occur. He felt slightly comforted by the fact that his Shield Device was still in the waiting, and he could pop that on if he landed in a jam, but... the fight was already going downhill for him. Unless he could close the gap of space, Abel would just keep going invsible, bring up more illusions, and attack again. He could try and smoke Abel out next time he went invisible, spraying the rest of it's energy where Abel would've just gone invisble. Or, he could restrict his movement with the remaining charge. Light the ground near Abel on fire, and blast him if he tried to jump... but which of those would do anymore or be any less risky than his previous plans? Abel had continuously proven to be eyeblindingly fast.
    Last edited by Lern2spell; December 3rd, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

Watch out guys, we got a wizard here. nashrambler's Avatar

Sefilis finally looks at Atharla and replys: "Only all of it...so what do you want?" He looks away and watches the battle very closely.

Waiting for a response from Atharla he pats the seat next to him and says: "Want to sit down?"

Sith Code

Piece is a lie. . . there is only Passion
    Through passion I gain. . . Strength
    Through strength I gain. . . Power
    Through power I gain. . . Victory
    Through victory. . . my chains are Broken

Hm, he's charging me... I take it his gun's low on ammo again. Actually, this might be a nice opportunity to sneak in a charged shot. He's weakened and his reflexes have probably decreased, plus he'll expect me to go invisible again. It's risky, but if worst comes to worst I can just go invisible and reset the situation.

Abel charged up his arm cannon and held his ground as the Commander charged. When the Commander was about almost to the reploid, Abel fired the shot and dodged to the side, shooting uncharged blasts at the commander as he dodged away.

I failed.

[[That would be considered God-Modding, wouldn't it? You assumed that my character wouldn't realize the arm cannon was being charged and would continue running straight into it.]]

(Well, no? You aren't forced to act in the way he posted, and can react to Abels actions. Acting differently essentially negates his post past when he starts to charge his attack. [this is actually a legit tactic called combo breaking]. By reacting to Abel's charging, you force him to change tactics.

And this is why I said you guys should post in a non-definitive form. so it doesn't look like you are manipulating your enemy into a specific action.)

["The first distinct action of a previous post is considered to be already in the process when the second post begins ... combo breaking is complicated, so it's best if I just explain it to you as you guys begin to fight."] [So according to that rule only the charging has begun, and the rest of the post is just the overview/suggestion of what would happen?]

(Hm. By the way, what's going to happen with the spar now that the brawl's about to begin? I take it you just stop the fight and make a decision as to who won?)

I failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas1024 View Post
    (Hm. By the way, what's going to happen with the spar now that the brawl's about to begin? I take it you just stop the fight and make a decision as to who won?)
    [I'd be willing to surrender/die quickly if it came to that. A tie or something similar isn't very exciting, fufilling or rewarding, especailly considering how Abel had the Commander pretty well licked there anyways. Alternatively, we could pause it and resume it later.]
    [Not that I think I will be partaking in the Brawl. You said that "less fighters is better" and right after a Spar, I probably shouldn't just hop back into another fight so quickly.]
    Last edited by Lern2spell; December 3rd, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Atharla takes a seat next to Sefilis before speaking again.

"Well, I cannot help but notice that that battler," she says as she points at the Commander, "does not appear to have any reliable means of dealing with his opponent's illusory clones. How would you counter such trickery?"

Bronze trophy from the YouTube Caption Contest (courtesy of Deucey_Dee_Brawl)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi
    You may be a minority of one, but the truth is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Epesi View Post
    My best July 4th ever was the one where I had to run for my life from explosives. (A note: the fact that a guy works for NASA doesn't necessarily mean he knows which end of a rocket is up.)

(Eeeeeeh, again, I'm not gonna get too far into details about combo breaking for now. and to put it in terms of your fight, the very begining of commanders next post would technically begin at the same time as Abel's charing. Now, everything after that is circumstantial because it relies on the commander acting in a specific way. so in short, it depends on how it's written. again, complicated.)

spars aren't judged anyway :V They just end when I say stop. And I guess it's close enough to 8 that I can do this

"Halt!" Suda says as he walks onstage. He mutters something, and the two fighters are magically healed to full strength.
    "Interesting fighting styles, the both of you. But now, It's time for our First Brawl. It will be on a new arena, and will last for... two hours. you can jump in and drop oout as you please." (BTW, if you decide you have to leave in the middle of the brawl, please say so, so that anyone attacking you won't be left hanging)

Description: An eerie forest, that provides only minimal boosts to elements, has a huge range of trees to creep through. Fighting in such close quarters is difficult, and shooting weaponry is nearly impossible. Earth control excells the best here, while the damp, murky, humid climate slightly hampers fire. The wet trees can be lit ablaze through a powerful explosion or blast of fire, but are usually contained by the damp trails and require quite a bit of energy to light them. The brief patches of trail are soft and easy to run through very quickly, but leave you completely exposed to anyone spying on you from the bush.

Elemental: Earth - 75%; Water - 70%; Dark - 65%; Fire - 40%
    Gravity: 6

Obstacle Rating: 9 (The majority of the arena is completely trees and vegetation, so only on the small trails do ranged weaponry find much use.)

Weather: Outside; none right now

Suda waved his arm, and a portal appeared in the center of the arena leading to the forest. "Your battle will be in there. Anyone can participate. HAve fun."
    and then he left.

BEGIN!
    Last edited by Inx; December 3rd, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

(Another quick thing. If you suddenly have a question mid battle. PM me about it, so I can more easily see it.)

Self-Styled Hero

Ora felt lucky about the first battlefield she would set foot on. She felt right at home in the darkness and narrow passes of the trees. She moved quickly to hide among the trees and vanish in the darkness.

"This is perfect," she thought to herself. "All I have to do is sneak my way around until I can get close enough to pounce on someone and attack them. I don't have to worry too much about anyone finding me here, and since we're fighting in such tight quarters, I don't even have to worry about others keeping their distance from me! Someone might walk right in front of me and not even realize it!"

She gave her spear a twirl and looked eagerly around her, waiting for the right target to make themselves apparent...

((Hiding in the trees using invisibility and biding my time for now.))

[Yay. I win the contest. So that's a coin bonus for me? :D]
    [I might join the Brawl later.]
    The Commander shook his head after his disgraceful performance in the spar, and walked back to the locker room, crashing into the bed, feeling tired and pretty sorry for himself. He knew he had relied too much on luck, and that it was entirely his fault for that failure. He should've picked up on the Holograms sooner, find the projecter and destroy it. Or trapped Abel with a spray of fire. Anything to keep him from going invsible and making him re-guess the illusions. It was now time for a long nap to reflect on the spar.
    Last edited by Lern2spell; December 3rd, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Kiwi saw the portal. "Oh, much fun will be had!" He jumped out of the stands, ran onto stage, and leaped through the portal. Ok me, what should I do? I know! I'll hide and wait for a moment to strike! As he landed in the forest, he quickly looked around. Should I use the trees? No, too obvious. Everyone and the grandmother's dog will be hiding in the trees. I've got to think. A place where I can easily hide and not be spotted, and have excellent opportunities to strike my enemies... I'VE GOT IT! With that Kiwi fell to the ground, and sunk into it. He was using his earth control abilities to hide himself underground, out of sight. He waited to strike. Nobody will suspect this! Nobody! I am truly a genius, I, Kiwi. Yes. I will win.

(@ Lern2spell Yes, 50 coins for you.

Now, why is no one fighting :u )

Nodding to his sparring opponent, Abel wordlessly entered the portal into the battlefield, before looking around in dismay.

Drat... all these trees will make programming illusions to move nearly impossible, and my arm cannon's not much good here either. However, one capability I didn't reveal in the sparring match was that I can make holograms of more than just myself. For the moment I'd better use one of these trees to make myself a hiding place. That should give me some breathing room until I can get a better plan together.

Copying target image:

Image scanned, hologram data constructed.

With the hologram ready, Abel checked around to make sure that nobody was nearby, before creating a hologram tree he could easily hide within in the middle of a cluster of trees.

There, nobody should be able to find this by accident. My biggest worry is someone setting the forest on fire or using some sort of earth shaking power. However I don't want it to be known I'm just hiding, so I'll want to use selective hologram placement to give the appearance of fighting as usual. Now I just need to wait.

I failed.

Self-Styled Hero

"Hmm..." The dead silence around her made Ora feel uneasy. "This isn't right," she thought. "I was expecting there to be a lot more chaos and confusion here... So far, I can't even see anyone. Did anyone even follow in after me?"

She paused and perked up her ears, listening for even the smallest sound that could give her a clue. Nothing more than a few rustling leaves... Not even the sound of the breeze.

"Well," she whispered, "I don't like it, but if I'm going to get an opportunity, it looks like I'm going to have to help it along. And unfortunately, the only way I know to do that is to use myself as bait..."

Giving up her advantage, Ora worked her way out to a small clearing. Anyone hiding nearby would be able to see her now. Ready to raise her weapon in defense if needed, she began walking along, loudly banging her weapon against nearby trees as she went.

"Someone else might get the first strike, but I'll see to it that I get the last..."

Kiwi, listening intently, heard Ora walking on the ground above his hiding spot. Excellent, they fall into Kiwi's hands like rain into a bucket. Unless the rain is falling in a location in which there is no bucket, making this simile moot. Now to strike, he thought. He shot rocks up from several different locations within five feet of him, hoping to distract her long enough to pounce. These will create a distraction, from which I will use the confusion to strike. He made the rocks spin in a circle around Ora, hoping it would confuse her. They were not big rocks, mind you. Each was about the size of a fist. Using his air control abilities, he caused the rocks to move faster and faster around her. He remained hidden just underground, waiting.

(Note: we are now at the halfway point. 1 hour left)

Thread Information