Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 17 -- November 2011 Edition~

Administrator Forum Administrator TriforceBun's Avatar

~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 17 -- November 2011 Edition~

Ah, November, my favorite month! Not only does it mean Thanksgiving week with the family, but the best games of the year typically hit around now too. Plus, there's no time to be bummed out by the end of Thanksgiving when Christmas season is coming up next! Let's get this contest underway.

-This month's contest will end at 11:59 PM, December 8th

The ever-familiar but always-necessary rules:

-Any and all media is fine. Draw/scan, paint, do digital images, whatever! You can post big ol' wallpaper-sized images or even straight-up comics! The only limit is your imaaagination. Use of lined or graph paper is discouraged--keep it white and clear for your best chances!

-Keep it pleasant. For content, a good rule of thumb would be not to draw or write anything that you wouldn't find in a Nintendo-published game or a BitF strip. So keep it a light PG at worst, please.

-It should be original! Comic Smash-Ups, tracing, and using borrowed Nintendo art (including sprites) probably won't win you any awards. It's possible someone might do something extremely creative by using official art, but for the most part it'd be best to avoid this. It's pretty easy to tell if a drawing is traced, too, so if you want to be nominated, don't trace!

-Post it here, or failing that, you may email or PM us images if you'd like! The simplest way to do it is just to post your artwork here in this thread for judging. Deadlines will be 11:59 PM on the last day of the contest period (noted at the top of this post), although sometimes the thread may stay open for a few more hours (in which case your entries are still safe!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JUDGING CRITERIA

As always, Chris and I (Matthew, resident doodler of BitF) will be taking a look at the entries and racking our brains trying to narrow them down to just a handful. They'll be judged on composition, adherence to the theme, use of color/shading (if applicable), use of humor (if applicable), and just...like, if it's any good.

We've noticed while judging these contests that we have a tendency to prefer works that reflect the spirit of Brawl in the Family. In other words, the better you can represent the strip and characters themselves, the better your chances of winning!

Feel free to submit multiple entries, but you're limited to three entries per contest! If you create more than three entries, you'll have to pick which three you'd like us to judge. There's no limit to how many contests you can win or be nominated for, so keep the great stuff coming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This month's theme:
    25 Years of The Legend of Zelda!

Nintendo's been celebrating their own special anniversary for the Zelda series for the full year, culminating with this month's release of Skyward Sword. This is the month to throw our own party here for the venerable series! In this month's more universal and broad category, make a piece of art centering on The Legend of Zelda, and ideally its storied history. What Zelda games are your favorite? What has the series meant to you over the past 2.5 decades?

Get ambitious! Make a cool poster-style image of the series' best moments, or hone it down to an artistic representation of a heartfelt scene from one of the games. It could even be your interpretation of how the characters themselves would celebrate! (with cake? Is Ganondorf invited? etc) The most legendary picture will be featured on the Fan Works page!

The art can be about the series as a whole, or you can consider the following games for your piece:

-The Legend of Zelda
    -Zelda II
    -A Link to the Past
    -Link's Awakening
    -Ocarina of Time
    -Majora's Mask
    -Oracle of Ages/Seasons
    -The Wind Waker
    -Four Swords/Adventures
    -The Minish Cap
    -Twilight Princess
    -Phantom Hourglass
    -Spirit Tracks
    -Skyward Sword

And...those CDi ones... *sigh*
    Mario Kart Wii number: 0088 - 3484 - 3729

Re: ~The Official BitF Fan Art Contest 18 -- November 2011 Edition~

Oh, I can only imagine the entries for this contest...

Unfortunately, unless I manage to figure out how to make it so my entry doesn't just look like it's a scanned piece of paper, I don't think I'll enter. It just doesn't feel right enough to just go with a scan, I feel like it needs more...

...Shut up, I have some OCD problems, okay?
    Last edited by Nap1400; November 8th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    I hate people who generalize. They're all idiots.

My VGM Arrangements.

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nap1400 View Post
    Unfortunately, unless I manage to figure out how to make it so my entry doesn't just look like it's a scanned piece of paper, I don't think I'll enter. It just doesn't feel right enough to just go with a scan, I feel like it needs more...
    Uhh...wait what? This confuzzles me.

The two basic choices for this contest are digital or traditional. Traditional must be scanned or photographed. If you were complaining about not having a scanner and having to deal with low-quality photos, that I can relate to. I really don't understand what "more" you want from a scan because trying to overlay digital art over traditional usually doesn't work out unless you're well practiced. One of my entries is a direct scan, another is a scan with just the sepia option added on Paint.net.

Unless you were being sarcastic and by "piece of paper" you literally meant a blank piece of paper...

AHEM. Onto more relevant things.
    I have to say this theme is much better that the previous ones because of its freedom and relatable topic. Too much junk in life right now for me to deal with an all out entry, but I may toss in some simple non-entry images. Mostly just out of love for Zelda :3
    Last edited by Ame-Nami; November 8th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

No, I meant that it just looks low-quality. Sorry for being unclear.

My VGM Arrangements.

Lost in Procrastination Ame-Nami's Avatar

No, I meant that it just looks low-quality. Sorry for being unclear.
    Oh lol. Then this is an easily fixed problem.

If you download Paint.net, they have everything you need to make a scan clear. Brightness and contrast often wash out lines and color, so I've experimented and found better solutions.

This is for anyone who wants to try a traditional piece:

Open Paint.net
    Go to "Levels" under "Adjustments"
    Move the top cursor on the Input side down to whiten whites
    Move the middle cursor down on the Output side to darken shadows
    Go to "Hue/Saturation" and up the saturation if it is a colored pic
    Go to ColorBalancePlus (I think you need to download this from the Paint.net forums) and change colors as needed.
    Play with "Curves" (I honestly don't now how this works, i just mess with it until something looks better)
    Last edited by Ame-Nami; November 8th, 2011 at 07:28 PM.

~Check out my art thread HERE! Or my CYOA HERE!~

Quote Originally Posted by Ame-Nami View Post
    Oh lol. Then this is an easily fixed problem.

If you download Paint.net, they have everything you need to make a scan clear. Brightness and contrast often wash out lines and color, so I've experimented and found better solutions.

This is for anyone who wants to try a traditional piece:

Open Paint.net
    Go to "Levels" under "Adjustments"
    Move the top cursor on the Input side down to whiten whites
    Move the middle cursor down on the Output side to darken shadows
    Go to "Hue/Saturation" and up the saturation if it is a colored pic
    Go to ColorBalancePlus (I think you need to download this from the Paint.net forums) and change colors as needed.
    Play with "Curves" (I honestly don't now how this works, i just mess with it until something looks better)
    This is great advice to anyone who submits a scan of an image. There've been plenty of times in past contests where a submission was drawn quite well, but scanned poorly, and the entry suffered as a result. Adjust the contrast settings to help counter the typical "graying up" that a scanner might do!

I know something I could do in 75 years, however I'm not sure how that'll turn out for me...
    [CENTER]My Chandelure is following you... (O++O)

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind. I've never used Paint.net so I wouldn't know a thing about it.

...Maybe I'll actually participate in this. I've only been on the sidelines for the last few months, I want to actually try! Well, time to get drawing...

My VGM Arrangements.

Consider me lurking sevenstitch's Avatar

I'll admit my entries for the last few months have be lax in quality, mostly due to the somewhat strange contest themes, but this is one theme I can get behind. The only real difficulty of this theme is that there is so much great material to work off of. Alright, all, let's get to work and make this a contest to remember.

Star Warrior

Is it OK to submit an old drawing I've presented to the forum in the past but not put in a previous contest?

You hear that? That is the sound of how invalid your arguement is. dfrogmatt's Avatar
    Either chillin' in Costa Rica or dead... probably both!

I think this can be a great contest all around! Not only will we have some good laughs, I really think this contest will touch some hearts. That will be my goal: to take a beautiful scene from my favorite game and draw it. I might do a funny one too though
    I'm a goofy goober YEAH
    Kirby Dance! <("<) <( " )> (>")>

Don't be afraid to give me any comments, feedback, or chocolate milkshakes... Mmm... yes.

Say? Do YOU like hilarious videos? Of course you do. Why don't you just go ahead and click on this link: http://dashingfrog.tumblr.com See what I did there? Dashing Frog --> dfrog + my name is Matt= dfrogmatt!

Self-Styled Hero

Would it be fair to add a logo from one of the games in the series so long as a) it's not the main focus of the picture and b) the rest is original work? If not, I have a contingency plan, but the image in my mind would look that much nicer with one of the official title artworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gold View Post
    Would it be fair to add a logo from one of the games in the series so long as a) it's not the main focus of the picture and b) the rest is original work? If not, I have a contingency plan, but the image in my mind would look that much nicer with one of the official title artworks.
    Interesting question. It pretty much boils down to how it's handled; if it's not the main focus of the picture, it's probably okay. In cases like these though, we'll probably look closer at the original art than the logo anyway, so keep that in mind. But yeah, I think that should be fine.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... yes ... T-3000's Avatar

First Entry: The Legend of Zelda (NES)
    The Old Man in the Cave:
    Last edited by T-3000; November 9th, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Mistake with necklace
    Come to my

Or be my friend here
    ... or not...

Quote Originally Posted by T-3000 View Post
    First Entry: The Legend of Zelda (NES)
    The Old Man in the Cave:
    Of course, the first entry in the contest is the first moment in the series. How fitting.

Great job.

My VGM Arrangements.

Hnn. I have a bunch of pictures but they are colabs with me and one of my friends who is not on the forum. I was wondering if I would be able to use those being as though they are already finished/being worked on. Just worried about the whole credit thing.

-edit- I have an idea for a Wind Waker based picture. Wind Waker is by far my favorite zelda game.

as a little inspiration for people I doodled this while I was bored. I'm probably not going to enter it, it's just to help others get inspired if anyone ever gets inspired from my work >3<
    Spoiler:  
    Last edited by iRoyBoy; November 9th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Roy will always be our boy!
    "It’s so much easier to believe that only your own thoughts and beliefs are absolutely correct."

Brawl: 4682-8265-3072

You hear that? That is the sound of how invalid your arguement is. dfrogmatt's Avatar
    Either chillin' in Costa Rica or dead... probably both!

Of course, the first entry in the contest is the first moment in the series. How fitting.

Great job.
    Of course, the first entry in the contest is by T-3000
    Just Kidding, good job
    I'm a goofy goober YEAH
    Kirby Dance! <("<) <( " )> (>")>

Don't be afraid to give me any comments, feedback, or chocolate milkshakes... Mmm... yes.

Say? Do YOU like hilarious videos? Of course you do. Why don't you just go ahead and click on this link: http://dashingfrog.tumblr.com See what I did there? Dashing Frog --> dfrog + my name is Matt= dfrogmatt!

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... yes ... T-3000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfrogmatt View Post
    Of course, the first entry in the contest is by T-3000

---
    I have a ton of entry ideas for this, to bad I can only do 3
    Last edited by T-3000; November 10th, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Come to my

Or be my friend here
    ... or not...

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

Great job.
    Nice! A wonderful representation of one of the most famous parts of the first game.

This one's gonna be tough to do, there are so many good Zelda moments. Luckily Link is one of the only Nintendo characters I feel really confident drawing. Now I just need an idea.
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Entry 2: 25 Years

Miyamoto: And a flip note contest and... What's wrong Mario? Here, here's a Zelda inspired level for your next game!
    ---
    Don't feel bad Mario... Samus didn't get anything at all.
    Mario didn't really get alot for his 25th anniversary (SNES game ported to the Wii), while Zelda's getting so much.
    Last edited by T-3000; November 10th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Come to my

Or be my friend here
    ... or not...

Mario didn't really get alot for his 25th anniversary (SNES game ported to the Wii), while Zelda's getting so much.
    True. Although I suppose SMG2 could count, wouldn't it?
    3DS: 5069-4096-2101

"Guidance to the one who holds determination."

Welcome to my lair. (also known as tumblr to the not cool kids)

INSPIRATION! (for all those who need it):

(you all pumped up now?)
    Come to my

Or be my friend here
    ... or not...

A geology student on an adventure! OrangeOctopi's Avatar

INSPIRATION! (for all those who need it):

(you all pumped up now?)
    Hey everybody it's not Chuggaaconroy!

Quote of the now-> Tony Stark: That man is actually playing Galga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. -The Avengers

Games I love: Poke'mon Crystal, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, BanjoKazooie, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Harvest Moon 64, Paper Mario... and the list goes on.
    All Super Smash Bros. games are kind of a given.

I'm a Mormon, I'm a Christian. Mormons are Christians. Please get your facts straight.

And FYI, I'm a girl. Just so ya know.

My deviantART
    My FanFiction
    Blog of Adventure

Ughghg schools been weighing me down and my idea would need like a lot of time to draw.
    SOMEONE ELSE DO IT.

All the Links at an anniversary party arguing over the continuity/timeline of their games.

Mah Boi! I wonder what's for dinner.

The greatest King from the greatest Legend of Zeldas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHw5g55oC4

Thread Information