Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BitF Technical Support Thread

Tumbling down Forum Veteran Kirb's Avatar

The BitF Technical Support Thread

You have reached The Brawl in the Family Technical Support. Unfortunately, our call-takers are all busy. The estimated waiting time is: [15 minutes]. Please hold.

*Also Sprach Zarathustra starts playing*

Well, uh, no. This is The BitF Technical Support thread, and if you have any problems with your computer or other electronic device, this is the place to post. I'll try to help you as well as I can, and other people are free to help!

Some rules and guidelines:
    • Google it first. It saves me some time, so that I don't have to solve something that can be found with a quick Google.
    • I don't troubleshoot programming or coding stuff. Sorry. Some other people might, though.
    • Remember that I may be busy. If I don't respond, posting your problem again and again won't help at all.
    • I don't do Macs. Just Windows. But post it here to see if anyone else can help you. I also kinda do Linux, but I'm not an expert.
    • If I can't solve it, then, well, I dunno. Nothing I can do. Don't go around sparking flames because I can't solve your problem.

Ask away!
    Last edited by Kirb; December 29th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Re: The BitF Technical Support Thread

hmmmm................
    BYOB (build your own blocks)

Could you help me out w/ block ideas, or have you never used the software?

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

Oh, hey, this is a decent thread idea. I'm more than glad to help with anything I can as well, though my knowledge is mainly windows-centric. But I just got an iPad so hopefully I can start helping with those too?

@SuperJedi, What do you mean, like a minecraft modding program?

nope- a scratch mod by some university in california that allows you to create your own programming blocks.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJedi224 View Post
    nope- a scratch mod by some university in california that allows you to create your own programming blocks.
    It would help, if you're really trying to seek aid here, to:
    • Describe what you WANT to happen.
    • Why can't you make it happen? What are you getting instead?
    • Are there any other things we should know about what you're trying?

These sorts of vague responses don't say much if anything. This sounds more like you want us to use this creativity program for you rather than you using it yourself... which makes me wonder why you're posting about it in here?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

it's just that i am out of ideas right now.
    So far i have made:
    -an anagram block
    -an Organization XII anagram block
    -a block that can solve polynomials of degree 2
    -a block that tells the current sprite to delete itself
    -a Jump block
    -a summation block

I could probably program another one easily if i could come up with an idea for what it should do. Maybe i can provide BYOB programming help?

So you want ideas on what kind of blocks you want to build? I don't think that's in the scope of this thread.

OR i could help with figuring out HOW to do a certain block- that would better fit.

You're assuming that this is still under the scope of the thread. You're proving further that you're not having any technical problems with this, but rather you're wanting us to give you ideas for that.

How is that "technical support"? Again, this sounds like you want us to do the creative work for you instead.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

I was thinking I could help people figure out how to put together the blocks...
    Basically, tell me what you want it to do and I could post an image of the script you would have to build into it to make it work.

Ark

@SuperJedi: Let's take a look at the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirb
    This is The BitF Technical Support thread, and if you have any problems with your computer or other electronic device, this is the place to post. I'll try to help you as well as I can, and other people are free to help!
    The thread was made so if anyone had a problem with an electronic device, someone could come up and help them by offering suggestions on how to fix the problem. An example of this would be asking for help when your DS can't connect to a router or something similar to that. You don't seem like you have a problem, and are instead using this thread as a way to advertise your creations made in BYOB.

A better place to ask this question would be in a thread in Adeleine's Canvas. Over there, you can make a thread to show off your creations, and do requests (if you choose to do requests, then Nook's Cranny would be the place to go; it's a subforum in the Canvas). Or, you could make a thread about BYOB in general (still in the Canvas) and have everyone show off what they can make with the program.

This thread just isn't the place for what you're getting at.

ok.

Edit: Done.
    Last edited by SuperJedi224; January 1st, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

We're all lurkers here SSBBrawler's Avatar

I've been getting some blue screens of death recently. It tends to happen whenever my computer starts to run the screen saver. And really, that's the only time it happens.

I'm not quite sure what further information is needed, so please ask what information you need. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBBrawler View Post
    I've been getting some blue screens of death recently. It tends to happen whenever my computer starts to run the screen saver. And really, that's the only time it happens.

I'm not quite sure what further information is needed, so please ask what information you need. Thanks.
    The easy way to pinpoint the problem further is to check the BIG MESSAGE that pops up along with the blue screen of death. Let's check it out:

Notice the first boxed area? That sort of "gibberish" phrase is typically the label and reason given why the blue screen's happening. This is the most essential part to figuring out the possible cause and solutions for your BSOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    The easy way to pinpoint the problem further is to check the BIG MESSAGE that pops up along with the blue screen of death. Let's check it out:

Notice the first boxed area? That sort of "gibberish" phrase is typically the label and reason given why the blue screen's happening. This is the most essential part to figuring out the possible cause and solutions for your BSOD.
    Alright, should another blue screen occur, I'll write down what it says (can you screen cap a blue screen?).

Shuckle is friend. Best friend. Forum Veteran bghvgjdh's Avatar

No, you can't. Have you tried disabling or changing the screensaver, if that seems to be the cause? If either of those work, you might not need to do the legwork in actually figuring out what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by bghvgjdh View Post
    No, you can't. Have you tried disabling or changing the screensaver, if that seems to be the cause? If either of those work, you might not need to do the legwork in actually figuring out what the problem is.
    I've changed the screen saver, yes. I meant if it occurs again. If it does stop, I wonder why it would only happen for the Club Nintendo screen saver I have.

Update:

I had to get a quick picture with my 3DS camera, unfortunately, it's hard to make out. There are probably several errors...

Spoiler: BSOD stuff 

I've noticed something strange, I run my computer in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash.

Update:

I had to get a quick picture with my 3DS camera, unfortunately, it's hard to make out. There are probably several errors...

Spoiler: BSOD stuff 
    "atimgdog.sys" returns a bogus result in Google, but suggests "atikmdag.sys" instead. Looking that up...

Look at several of the results here.

One of the most consistent facts that I seem to see here is that something new hardware-wise was installed. Do you know of any hardware changes you've done recently to your computer, around the time this BSOD started popping up?

I've noticed something strange, I run my computer in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash.
    That's kinda the point of Safe Mode, it prevents a lot of the non-mandatory processes from running, a lot of these which can be responsible for your BSODs in the first place.

Alright, from one of the sites from the Google search, I found this instruction:

If you have the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL INSTALLED and Do a Seach of Your Primary hard Drive you will Find that the ATIKMDAG.SV file is ONLY found in the CATALYST CONTROL PANEL SOFTWARE PACKAGE.
    Before I delete it, I just want to have a double check before, just in case that I should keep it to prevent my computer from being entirely gone.

Before you go ahead with that, can you check what video card you have by going to Device Manager (Instructions here) and looking under 'Display adapters'? Once you have that down (it'll probably be something like ATI/AMD Radeon xxxx), go look for the drivers for that video card. Update/reinstall your drivers, and report back.

There are two items listed in the Display Adapters list

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series

Should I find the drivers for both?

Go ahead.

It seems to have worked so far. I haven't had a blue screen since. Granted, it's only been two hours, but it's a start. If it happens again, I'll be sure to post.

Thanks, Eltro and Kirb!

Alright, despite working for three days with no blue screen... It's happened again. Blue screen with the atikmdag.sys error. Should I delete that file?

Thread Information