Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

Re: Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

I like writing fan fiction, and reading fan fiction but only if it's really well written and not completely dumb. However I still love reading just lol wut type of bad Fan Fiction in what I call Super Crappy Fan Fiction Power Hour Saturdays at 10 on 88.7 FM and 9:30 on Channel 56.
    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/kazooienut/Starmansig.png
    Check out my CYOA, Tanks and Witches! I mean who doesn't want to try a CYOA where you can get blown up by a Panzer AND a Pyro-Witch?

I'm not a big fan of fan fiction as most are pretty horrible. I have read a couple good ones but those are few and far between.

I do get some kicks out of some of the bad ones out there though.

Oh, fanfiction. I love the good ones to pieces, and hate the bad ones some much that they catch on fire. (Figuratively, of course.) The ones that I read tend to be Harry Potter fanfictions, because those are pretty open to creativity. The only ones anime based I've seen have all been kinda dumb.

I'm really quite lenient about fanfiction. Even the stuff that most people consider crap can entertain me. The only exception is when romance is involved. If it's obvious, it comes across as stupid. If not, I'm completely oblivious to it and don't get anything out of it.

Bronze trophy from the YouTube Caption Contest (courtesy of Deucey_Dee_Brawl)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi
    You may be a minority of one, but the truth is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Epesi View Post
    My best July 4th ever was the one where I had to run for my life from explosives. (A note: the fact that a guy works for NASA doesn't necessarily mean he knows which end of a rocket is up.)

Gun already Mentioned him, but Greatest Fan-Fic of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvglodUIcA

Enjoy playing Mafia Online? Vendetta-Strada is a mafia based community; come in and take a look around!

It's awesome in theory, but I've yet to find fanfiction I enjoy. I'm sure I could find some if I tried, but I don't wanna sift through the complete crap to do so, since I'm personally not that interested.
    3DS: 5112 3747 3678

the shadow queen crystalvoodoo91's Avatar

I'm in between. The bad ones can be a laugh, the good ones can be awesome,funny, sad, etc.
    It all depends on the style and author.
    Some bad ones on the other hand, can just.......be awful.

So bad that they're good? :D

Enjoy playing Mafia Online? Vendetta-Strada is a mafia based community; come in and take a look around!

the shadow queen crystalvoodoo91's Avatar

Some can be, some are so bad its awful. Ahem may I direct you here:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Horrible/Fanfic these are those fics.

I really want to get back into writing, but I don't really know what to write about, so fan-fiction has crossed my mind a few times.
    I don't have any problems with it if it's good. Though I don't really ever read it anyway.

Hrmm...

Retired video game player SSJ Ranulf's Avatar

Ah, Fanfiction. I enjoy it if it fits a few of these criteria:

1. Well-Written: This one should be obvious. If it's well written, thought and emotion provoking, detailed, has good dialogue and clear structure, and strong characters, I don't care if it's original or a fanfiction.

2. Expands on Characters/Concepts: Whether it's expanding on main characters and adding a detailed history to a villain, or showing another side of a third-string character or explaining where a one use item came from, this is the bread and butter of fanfiction.

3. Introducing new Concepts: From a new story-arch to a few gaiden chapters or just adding a few details in-between scenes, I really enjoy this.

4. Giving closure: Many characters in many kinds of media don't get the ending they deserve. Whatever happened to 90% of the heroes Rouges Gallery, or the mentor who first helped him? What about his best friend, where was she in the 10 years latter ending where only the hero appeared? And did the two brothers ever make peace? This is perhaps my favorite use of fanfiction, as I feel that writers always forget someone or something when ending a story.

That's off the top of my head. There are scores of poorly written stories, but the good ones really expand on the canon, and some of them have been good enough for me to add them to my personal views of a series.
    Got a problem? Need someone to talk to? I won't judge you, so you've got nothing to lose. Why not get in touch with me? Send me a message any time, and I'll free up some time to talk with you.

Spoiler: Quotes and Stuff 

WIIIIIIIIIITCHCRAAAAAAAAA AAAAAFT Kage's Avatar

I'm okay with fan fics, so long as they're not unbearable.
    Although I did get through My Immortal without dying.
    *smiles evilly as only I can*

I have tried to write a few fics, but I either forgot about what else I would write, and/or lost interest, could not write more, or thought what I was writing was stupid, and thus a hopeless case of a fic. I may turn many of my numerous Kirby OCs into actual characters and write actual novels about them at some point, though, as most of them are easily adaptable (and very Safe For Work).
    As for what I dislike in fanfiction, I (no offense) think shipping is the dumbest thing ever, and I REALLY hate very graphic fics, although I rarely read fanfiction anyway. I also hate bad writing, but who does not?

Clobberin Monster The Kirbinator's Avatar

Fanfiction needs to be well written and be respectful of the original universe, expanding on existing characters, concepts, and settings, while introducing new ones that fit in. Alternate universes should not deviate too much from the original universe. With regards to crossovers, they should not be shoehorned. Oh, and shock value for the sake of shock value is never a good thing, especially if it is out of character.
    Spoiler: See my plush Kirby toy with wizard hat 
    I AM THE KIRBINATOR!
    Nintendo Network: The_Kirbinator

WIIIIIIIIIITCHCRAAAAAAAAA AAAAAFT Kage's Avatar

I agree with you 100%, Kirbinator. I hate fanfiction that doesn't do the original thing justice, especially if the writer's calling it an AU just so they can overwrite every piece of canon they don't like. And shock value for the sake of shock value never works. It just always seems badly handled. Just like shamelessly playing for drama....
    Also, I really hate when fan fics overwrite existing canon. If a character is dead, and they stay dead canonically, then they can't appear alive if the fic is set after their death. I feel the same about killing off canon characters at a point where they're not supposed to die. *sigh* I'm a stickler for canonical accuracy, so I usually don't write many fics, except if the thing is question is open-ended.
    ...like Vocaloid.
    *smiles evilly as only I can*

romance option Lady of the Arena Lenore's Avatar

Potentially unpopular opinion: I think fanfic is a legitimate artistic medium. Sure, there's a lot of terrible stuff out there, but to invalidate the entire form just because of an oversaturation of crap is like saying video games aren't art because a lot of games are unimaginative samey. The other argument against fanfiction as art is that it's highly derivative, but really, what isn't in this day and age? At least fanfiction is open about it, and for me that doesn't detract from it at all.

I actually like shipping, too - there's something legitimately really interesting for me about bouncing characters off each other and seeing how a relationship between them could work. It's just another way of thinking about character dynamics, which is one of my favourite things. Of course you're always going to come across ships you don't agree with and people who are awful about them, but that's a corollary I can accept.

It's by no means a perfect medium, of course - nothing bugs me more than out-of-character writing, and there's still a lot of absolute rubbish out there - but I really think it gets a far worse rap than it deserves. I've read fanfic which is better than canon, which revolves around great or interesting pairings, and which is excellently written. And that reconsideration of canon is, for me, more than enough to justify its defence.

~The Super Smash Brother~ Smash The Echidna's Avatar

Was planning on dropping by to voice my opinion on the matter, seeing as I have my own series of fanfictions, but Lenore there pretty much summed up everything I had to say.

Except I'm not too big on the shipping part. It can be cute and all but it's not something I actively think about. ...unless it's related to my series. In that case I'm a little more interested.

I'll be honest; I haven't read many good fanfictions. I've seen a few of them around, and I know they've had LOTS of work put into them (a guy I know wrote like an entire fan-novel. Like, holy cow dude.) But I just haven't had the time to sit through them.
    Naturally, I've seen some pretty bad things. Fanfiction in general tends to make people react in disdain, but in my point of view, it's just a story like any other. Only difference is that it's gonna contain some material from another source/franchise, be it characters or setting.

On that note, Brawl in the Family is, in fact, a fanfiction. And we all love it~
    Last edited by Smash The Echidna; October 28th, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
    ~My sigs are outdated and I don't want to show them here until they've been remade.~

In the meantime, check out my Spriting Workshop.

Or check out my fangame, Splice The Hedgehog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    Potentially unpopular opinion: I think fanfic is a legitimate artistic medium. Sure, there's a lot of terrible stuff out there, but to invalidate the entire form just because of an oversaturation of crap is like saying video games aren't art because a lot of games are unimaginative samey. The other argument against fanfiction as art is that it's highly derivative, but really, what isn't in this day and age? At least fanfiction is open about it, and for me that doesn't detract from it at all.

I actually like shipping, too - there's something legitimately really interesting for me about bouncing characters off each other and seeing how a relationship between them could work. It's just another way of thinking about character dynamics, which is one of my favourite things. Of course you're always going to come across ships you don't agree with and people who are awful about them, but that's a corollary I can accept.

It's by no means a perfect medium, of course - nothing bugs me more than out-of-character writing, and there's still a lot of absolute rubbish out there - but I really think it gets a far worse rap than it deserves. I've read fanfic which is better than canon, which revolves around great or interesting pairings, and which is excellently written. And that reconsideration of canon is, for me, more than enough to justify its defence.
    Initially, seeing this thread made me want to simply not talk about fanfiction; of course, being a writer of fanfiction, one can easily say I'm biased and that would throw the legitimacy of my claims out the window.

That being said, I'm also a writer of fanfiction; I have a different viewpoint from those that just read, so lemme throw my two cents into this.

First off, all the yes to Lenore for basically summing up my argument. Writer of fanfiction, I may be; but my loquaciousness in speaking about the general opinion of fanfiction has a tendency to...irk me a little. To quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore
    Sure, there's a lot of terrible stuff out there, but to invalidate the entire form just because of an oversaturation of crap is like saying video games aren't art because a lot of games are unimaginative samey.
    Fanfiction gets a bad rap because there are writers that are inexperienced or aren't as skilled in storytelling, or just have issues with spelling and grammar, or are...well, just not very proficient at writing. I like to think that anyone can do anything; it's just a matter of how well, and really, we all start from somewhere. As artists, we look back at our work and probably think "Wow, what I wrote back then was garbage. Past me, what were you thinking?!". If we were to judge any other art form like you do fanfiction, judging the whole based on the many, many attempts at striving for what we have in our heads, we wouldn't be considering much of anything art.

Of course, that's just restating Lenore's point, so let me move on to the topic of Alternate Universes (AUs) and Crossovers. An Alternate Universe fic is a fic that takes the fundamental universe and warps it; take high school fics! They're a common example. Crossovers take one universe and another universe and mush'em together; taking...well, Brawl in the Family as an example (and Brawl by correlation), it's a crossover comic of everything Nintendo. AUs and Crossovers (Crossovers moreso, I feel) get flack because they're thought as unimaginative; stick premise A and premise B into the same hole, and presto, right? I mean, it doesn't seem to difficult to write a crossover or alternate universe...and you'd be correct. To an extent.

To address some points...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator
    Fanfiction needs to be well written and be respectful of the original universe, expanding on existing characters, concepts, and settings, while introducing new ones that fit in.
    My main gripe with this point is the second half; on how one should expand on characters, concepts, and settings, while introducing new ones that fit in. If you're introducing new characters, concepts, and settings that fit in, would that not contradict your later point of AUs? Technically, your character being in a universe makes it, well, an AU, doesn't it? DEATHSPARK THE INVINCIBLE, SON OF THE GODDESSES AND EMPEROR OF THE GLASS KINGDOM was probably (here's hoping: that name is just way too gaudy) not in the original show, book, drama that you watched; so to introduce new characters, locations, concepts that aren't explicitly stated in the show, technically speaking, would make it an alternate universe?

Maybe I'm talking nonsense, maybe someone'll agree. Just my two bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash
    Except I'm not too big on the shipping part. It can be cute and all but it's not something I actively think about. ...unless it's related to my series. In that case I'm a little more interested.
    ...Wait, wouldn't that make you into shipping? Just selective to your own series? After all, if you're interested in shipping your own characters, even if you ship no one else's, would that not make you a shipper?

Blah. Technicalities.

So...yeah.

~The Super Smash Brother~ Smash The Echidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SBSam View Post

...Wait, wouldn't that make you into shipping? Just selective to your own series? After all, if you're interested in shipping your own characters, even if you ship no one else's, would that not make you a shipper?

Blah. Technicalities.

So...yeah.
    Well, yes, technically. I never actually said I wasn't, though. My point was more or less that I'm not interested in shipping other people's characters, canon or not. I might look over and say "oh hey that's kinda cute" or "who the heck thought THIS was a good idea?" But I won't generally step into the shipping territory much further than that.
    I'm more interested in doing it with my own characters since, well, it's my decision whether I can make it happen or not. (Plus it's kind of a requirement for me to stop and think about these things, considering the nature of my series)

oh hey look this is my 100th post.
    Last edited by Smash The Echidna; October 28th, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
    ~My sigs are outdated and I don't want to show them here until they've been remade.~

In the meantime, check out my Spriting Workshop.

Or check out my fangame, Splice The Hedgehog.

Well, I guess that my opinion about fan fiction is that sometimes the story could be pretty well-told, or it could just be trash. I guess as long as there's no overdramatic influx of typos or an overdose of Mary Sue, I'm ok with it.

Tornado Remix Lightningdork
    Forum Moderator
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Fanfiction is often terrible. But really, does it matter? People are having fun, doing something creative... I'm all for anything that gets people interested in writing and creating stuff.

I write. I don't write fanfiction, but I did write things that can technically classify as fanfiction. Some of you may remember a looooooooong time ago, I used to do these silly "conspiracy theory" things about games, and they were pretty popular around here. That kind of stuff was pretty much how I became a figure on the site, people enjoyed it and I created pretty big discussions out of silly joke topics. People joined in on the joke and helped build what I created, other people took me 100% at face value and tried debating me, it was fun and often became a community event, "oh boy Boalt made a topic again". That's what got me ingrained around here, it's possible that if I hadn't ever done that stuff that I wouldn't even be here writing this post right now. Just as importantly, that heavily reinforced my love of writing. Honestly, people enjoying that stuff is a big part of why I am where I am today, I'm an English major focusing on writing and I'm graduating from college with that degree in a little more than half a year from now. A small part was realizing that I didn't enjoy Poli Sci when I had a small taste of it before college, but really the biggest motivating factor I had to major in English was because I wrote basically a different take on fanfiction that people enjoyed. While I wouldn't post any of that stuff as examples of good writing by me, it got me going down this track and helped me make some important friends.

Besides that - bad fanfiction isn't hurting anyone, and it's often entertaining to read for how bad it is.
    Official BitForums Patron Deity
    Skiploom Adventures is still a thing! Click here to read it!

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now
    Playstation 4: Making you feel emotions that you have never felt in real life.

kaufenpreis

Other fan productions suffer from poor acting too, but I cannot help but commend the work the actors and crew, especially because they're up against the Hollywood studio quality of the Trek we see/saw on television.

I literally hate figurative literals. itsameluigi1290's Avatar

I don't really read fanfics. I've read this one Zelda fanfic but Link had this "desire" for Zelda that didn't really seem right. But I myself sort of write fanfiction. Although it's a comic. I do want to redo it one day when I can draw better, because some characters are too OoC and the like, and that's a gripe I have with fanfics.

That, and the Sonic X Shadow stuff. >:V

But honestly I don't see a problem if people enjoy making them. Like Boalt said, anything that gets people creative is something I'm all for.

Acta est fabula, plaudite! Twisted Roselia's Avatar

I personally really like fanfiction. It can take a while to find ones that are worth reading, true, but there are some great and well-written fanfics out there. I think it's interesting seeing different people's interpretation of characters (as long as they're not OOC).... And I also love shipping and I adore really cute, fluffy, romantic stuff, haha.

Tumblr | Art and plushies thread! | YouTube
    3DS: 4785 - 5293 - 6706

kaufenpreis

I like a good fanfiction, because a story can live on forever and also, the stories and such are things you get to 'see' your favorite character doing.

Things that never got to happen, happen. I think it's great!

Thread Information