Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

Banned

Re: Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

Of course, there's all the crazy Crack Fics out there, with (usually) at least 2 different fandoms, and a nonsensical plot.

I just might pass this way again Snickerway's Avatar
    Why is this listed on all our posts again?

man, that was one heck of a bump kage did back there

Anyway, I'm okay with fanfiction, but I feel like the less derivative a fanfic is, the better and more creative it tends to be. Fanfic by definition involves using preeestablished characters, settings, and concepts. This isn't a bad thing in itself, but a lot of amateur writers end up using this as a crutch and never get in any characterization or worldbuilding experiences.

Take Fallout: Equestria for example, which is typically regarded as one of the best MLP:FiM fics out there. It's a crossover between MLP:FiM, Fallout, and 1984, but it contains few MLP characters and no Fallout or 1984 characters, and uses the settings and concepts from those works sparingly. Most of the characters are fleshed-out and wholly original, and its plot and ideas are original to FOE rather than lifted wholesale from its sources. The result of this is that FOE has wiggle room that a more derivative fanfic wouldn't have. There's room for character and story arcs that wouldn't be possible if FOE adhered more strictly to the canon.

That isn't to say original plots and characters can't be done badly, but they're a step in the right direction. Many fanfic writers end up going on to write original fiction anyway, so the characterization and worldbuilding practice helps a lot no matter the quality of the fics.
    ~There is a love in me raging, Alegria~
    ~A joyous, magical feeling~

Banned

Yeah. Also, possibly, in May, I plan to write a Fanfic of BattleBlock Theater, and I plan to complete at least one chapter every week, meaning I should complete it by July of 2017, after my graduation.

WIIIIIIIIIITCHCRAAAAAAAAA AAAAAFT Kage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    Potentially unpopular opinion: I think fanfic is a legitimate artistic medium. Sure, there's a lot of terrible stuff out there, but to invalidate the entire form just because of an oversaturation of crap is like saying video games aren't art because a lot of games are unimaginative samey. The other argument against fanfiction as art is that it's highly derivative, but really, what isn't in this day and age? At least fanfiction is open about it, and for me that doesn't detract from it at all.

I actually like shipping, too - there's something legitimately really interesting for me about bouncing characters off each other and seeing how a relationship between them could work. It's just another way of thinking about character dynamics, which is one of my favourite things. Of course you're always going to come across ships you don't agree with and people who are awful about them, but that's a corollary I can accept.

It's by no means a perfect medium, of course - nothing bugs me more than out-of-character writing, and there's still a lot of absolute rubbish out there - but I really think it gets a far worse rap than it deserves. I've read fanfic which is better than canon, which revolves around great or interesting pairings, and which is excellently written. And that reconsideration of canon is, for me, more than enough to justify its defence.
    I agree, I just never end up finishing my fics. Fanfiction, GOOD fanfiction, is actually harder than so many people think, especially if you're trying to make it plausible in-universe. Shipping fics are interesting to read if you like the pairing. (I'll ship occasionally, just not very hard) True, there are lots of stellarly bad fics out there, but many writers get their start writing fan fiction. It gives them the confidence to create their own characters.
    I plan to become an author when I'm older, and I know (if anyone actually reads my stuff T.T) I'll try to encourage fan fics. Taking the time to read somebody's story, even if it is "just" a fanfic can often give them the confidence to continue in writing. Bashing somebody's fanfic could be that last straw that puts them off writing completely.
    *smiles evilly as only I can*

Three Nintendo groups in one pic! Amazing! TriMushroomStar's Avatar
    Ha! Like I would tell you! I would have to kill you if I did.

I like fan fiction quite a bit! The pictures, the stories, I've always enjoyed it! In fact, I've been trying to write my own LoZ fan fiction, but as Kage said...it's really hard. I'm making sure Link doesn't talk, but it's still hard to create new enemies and characters without completely changing what LoZ was all about.
    "Oh, but what's the point of tests if you don't learn anything?"
    -King Bumi (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Cute Little Poot

I love fanfiction. Take Eminem fanfiction for example. Many people out there are very good writers and it really doesn’t matter if the character is called Marshall or Joe cause at the end of the day, the character is only inspired by Em. It means he has the same name, look and occupation. You know, the things and environment that you find appealing cause you’re a fan but at the same time, the behavior, story plot and attributes of the characters are most of the time completely fictional and different so if you called the main character Joe Smith instead of Marshall Marshall, you wouldn’t even know it’s Eminem fan fiction.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Skeleton View Post
    germany is my absolute favorite spambot.
    Don't worry!
    Batman can breathe in space! Unfortunately, none of us are Batman.
    Worry!

Thread Information