Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

Your opinion on Fan-Fiction.

Out of curiosity, what are the forum member's opinion on Fanfiction.

I may set myself up as a punching bag, but I enjoy fanfiction. I started writing because of fanfiction, and I like to see what other fan's of series, I like their interpretation of characters. Alot of people don't like it, or chastise it, or mock it, but I don't care. I enjoy it, and it's fun to read.

Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles. Forum Veteran AuraKnight's Avatar
    I love myself a good fanfiction. Seeing the interpretation of characters from someone else's perspective can be very good if done right.

I'd do one myself, but I'm too lazy.

We had a really good fanfiction on the old forums when I was starting up...a guy by the name of magikoopa189 made a very chilling and dark twist on the mushroom kingdom. He never finished it, though that was after he'd killed almost all of the main cast of the mario games, so there wasn't much else to do but to continue with the new ones he'd made.

FanFiction is cool. But not the mature, graphic, worse then Family Guy on a rating chart of family friendliness, stuff. Why do people write that kind of stuff!!!

Team Fortress Two in a nutshell.

I remember doing a fanfic a long time ago, I enjoyed it and did a mass crossover from all the FFgames. It was completly revamped and whatnot. I would love to do it again, but am busy with my Tales writing I can't. So what I did instead was literally mine my fanfic and use ideas form that for Tales.

Some of the fanfiction doesn't make sense. And some of the others have great stories that make sense and make you feel that it is in the main story itself.

I used to do Dragon Ball fanfiction; I wrote it from around 1998 to about 2002 and tried to rework it a couple of years ago. (That didn't work out) I never had my stuff posted online, but I did quite enjoy reading my old works. There were a lot of grammatical errors (seriously, when I was in the seventh grade, I was on the honor roll, but I had a horrendous grade in English) but they were enjoyable.
    Monster Hunter Generations | Name: Yami G | HR: ???

"Welcome to the only thing scarier than IRS headquarters" ~Gex
    Xbox: YamiGekusu | PSN: YamiGekusu | Nintendo Network: YamiGekusu

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar
    The issue with fanfiction that gives it a bad name(or just any fan-related work in general) is that most people don't really care for the continuity or details of the original characters. To some extremes, we'll see people even inserting their own characters/crossovers/themes into a situation that doesn't fit and/or make any sense whatsoever.

Sonic comes to mind immediately with the surge of bad fancharacters and fanfiction.

I've seen some good fanfiction(admittedly I'm not too fond of looking for it), but it's hard to come by, probably because the internet's usually plagued by the case of the horrible fanfiction, thus giving it the bad name to begin with.

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Lost Levels C-3 >:(=( jdaster64's Avatar
    In short, fanfiction is pretty much all right if it respects continuity and doesn't involve made-up characters and/or too great of a contrast between characters.

Pretty much what Eltrotraw said, in shorter-than-short.

uh I can't think of a user title ThatFellow's Avatar
    I like fan fiction, but it depends what it is exactly. I like to hear dramatic stories, giving depth to characters who didn't have much depth to begin with (The Pokémon protagonists, for instance, or Mario). But of course, for every good fanfiction, there are about 100 focusing on random couplings, wanton violence and just plain weirdness. And, by rule of thumb, the latter ALWAYS gets more attention than the former. It's pretty worthless to put too much time into fanfictions these days, just write a novel or something instead, at least you might get something out of it at some point.

And the best fan fiction quote ever-
    "The mustachioed man slowly rose into the air, as his brown hair and pencil moustache turned a blonde color, and his brown eyes turned blue. [...] Hitler had become a Super Saiyan."

From, I kid you not, a cross over of Dragon Ball Z and Anne Frank.

It's as horrifying as you could ever imagine. :P

ded
    I like fan fiction.

HOWEVER, ONE EXCEPTION.

I seriously hate it when some fanfiction writer takes a rather happy and upbeat series, such as iCarly (i only say this because it's pretty much the worst offender out there, if i'm not mistaken) and writes some rapefest or something like "x's brother has just died, and x is driven to bloody suicide"

also, my immortal

You'll eat 'til you're full! Then you'll eat 'til you burst! Then you'll eat some more! Gun's Avatar
    The earmuffs were made of scientific discovery.

Scares children

I haven't really had a terribly good experience with fan fiction...so no.

Banned
    I'm...very picky with my fan fictions. Stories involving characters I know and love would be nice to read, but I can never get into them.

I only ever really read them if a pairing I like is involved. SoRo and SoRi come to mind, from the KH Franchise.

But sometimes there are things that scare me. Like the stuff Gun faps to reads.

And used to write. =P

digital style Forum Veteran Darky's Avatar
    When they're good, they're very good. When they're bad, they're dreadful. And unfortunately, most fall firmly into the latter.

I love fanfictions. I write on one at least once a day. Though I'm definitely guilty of altering the characters a bit :S For example, in a fanfiction which me and my sister are writing (though all those who have read it have been bugging me to put it on the internet) we have Toon Link being the opposite of Link by being hyperactive and somewhat audacious, Snake being in one of the lower groups (this fanfiction is called School of Brawl and you need to know that in order for that to make sense) and...yeah Quite a lot. Though personally I think that in School of Brawl I keep most things as you would expect them (like Kirby and Dedede getting in a scuffle every now and then, Falcon and Snake throwing themselves at Samus' feet, Marth is girly etc etc etc).

If this doesn't tell you who my favourite character is, nothing will.

Banned
    Reason: Multiple Rule Violations

I LOVE bad fan fics.

Also invader Zim mpreg fic = better then it sounds srsly

Also, www.tf2chan.net

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMaria View Post
    I love fanfictions. I write on one at least once a day. Though I'm definitely guilty of altering the characters a bit :S For example, in a fanfiction which me and my sister are writing (though all those who have read it have been bugging me to put it on the internet) we have Toon Link being the opposite of Link by being hyperactive and somewhat audacious, Snake being in one of the lower groups (this fanfiction is called School of Brawl and you need to know that in order for that to make sense) and...yeah Quite a lot. Though personally I think that in School of Brawl I keep most things as you would expect them (like Kirby and Dedede getting in a scuffle every now and then, Falcon and Snake throwing themselves at Samus' feet, Marth is girly etc etc etc).
    I'd love to read that!

What? No, my opinionisrightshutupandgo away Remaining Calm's Avatar
    A Fanfiction has to be very good (or funny) for me to read/enjoy. For some reason, if there are flaws, they are hugely evident to me and I can't enjoy it.

Banned
    Reason: Multiple Rule Violations

Quote Originally Posted by Remaining Calm View Post
    A Fanfiction has to be very good (or funny) for me to read/enjoy. For some reason, if there are flaws, they are hugely evident to me and I can't enjoy it.
    That's why you should enjoy it.

Banned
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1904410/Metaknight4ever
    oh hi metaknight4ever

Parings I HATE:

KirbyXJiggilypuff (Okaaaaaay, who came up with that?)

ummm, yes about fanfiction
    huh, I haven't actually read any sooo... uh
    yeah

Tifa's enormous milky white breasts were slicked with perspiration as they heaved against the cruel bonds of her black leather bodice.
    She struck Cloud again with the whip again and said "Do you like that little boy?"
    "Oh yes Tifa, I do." He said
    (I hope you're happy TFWTH, I'm over here making references that only we will get and now I look a fool)

MUCH BETTER. Better drawings ftw. SwerveStar's Avatar
    FANFIC IS A-OK TO ME!!!
    *insert anime char giving thumbs up here*
    I actually have a LOT of fanfics, but they just never even got off the ground, really. I've got lots of characters, especially for Pokemon, but no ACTUAL writing.
    "I HAVE A SCOUTER, ANGEL WINGS, A DIMENSIONAL GAP, AND MY OWN WORLD. YOUR ARGUEMENT IS INVALID."
    Oh, I have a DeviantArt account BTW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcdTw...ure=g-high-lik <- TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned_Kirby View Post
    Tifa's enormous milky white breasts were slicked with perspiration as they heaved against the cruel bonds of her black leather bodice.
    She struck Cloud again with the whip again and said "Do you like that little boy?"
    "Oh yes Tifa, I do." He said
    (I hope you're happy TFWTH, I'm over here making references that only we will get and now I look a fool)
    Don't implicate me in this. You pervert. :P

And look at this joker. WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS!?

And I used to have a rather good Sonic/Kirby cross over which wasn't as bad as it sounds. Basically Egg Carrier Vs. Halberd. IN SPACE. Too bad I deleted it all.

I enjoy fan-fictions, mostly based on videogames such as Brawl, Pokemon, ect. I use to write some, but I kinda gave up due to my packed time.

Verdict: Fun to read, hard to make.

Like most things, there's the good and the bad. I do enjoy a good fanfic, myself.

Well thought-out, well-written fan fiction can be just as entertaining as any canonical story, but that requires more time and effort than a lot of people are willing to give.

3DS FC: 3437-3070-4575

MUCH BETTER. Better drawings ftw. SwerveStar's Avatar
    ...I probably should've specified I don't like those "hentai type" fanfics, like the example Cloned Kirby gave...

I have similar views to Remaining Calm, fanfics do best when they're funny.
    "I HAVE A SCOUTER, ANGEL WINGS, A DIMENSIONAL GAP, AND MY OWN WORLD. YOUR ARGUEMENT IS INVALID."
    Oh, I have a DeviantArt account BTW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcdTw...ure=g-high-lik <- TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME

I actually just read through one of my old fan fics, and it quite easily shows how they can vary in quality. Take for instance, this part from the opening chapter,
    "Surely enough, the purple creature, Nidoking, lunged forward, pointing it's weapon squarely towards its opponent, which simple jumped out of the way."
    Somewhat unintentional freudian imagery and a typo. GO ME! :P But then compare it to this...
    "I, like, had no idea that you'd become such a legend when I went against you that one time!" Whitney paused for a moment as she suddenly got an idea, "I know! Let's have a rematch, for nostalgia!"

Gold looked up, his morose expression changed to a look of confusion, or even horror, "A battle?"
    That's honestly not that bad, if I do say so myself. Proper characterisation, description, realistic dialogue. Weird how they both came from the exact same fan fiction too, within weeks, or even days, of each other.

So yeah, there is a LOT of variation. I honestly think Fan Fiction is a good way of getting younger people interested in writing, if anything.

Creative mind at rest. Animaster's Avatar
    I generally don't read fanfics, but I'm in the process of writing one myself. Much like that magikoopa or whatever his name was, it's a dark take on the Mario series. I have many great ideas for it, it's just that I've never gotten them off the ground(like the giant Peach robot that Mario has to face later on). Now if I could just stop procrastinating...
    My art thread should be up and running. Be sure to stop by and comment.
    I like animals, but especially cats.  I should probably change my sig, though.  Eh, I'll do it later.
    NNID- Animaster
    My 3DS Friend Code: 3007-8121-5204
    Dream Suite: It's different now. I'll update it about a century from now.

Thread Information