Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kapus' Kanvas

Kapus' Kanvas

EDIT: Blah blah, here's the original post.
    Hi there. Instead of lurking around the forum like I have been doing for the past few months(year?), I decided to actually do something for a change.

So here I am starting an art topic of sorts. I am very fond of spriting and pixel art, so don't expect me to post anything besides those two. I sprite a lot more often than I draw, so actual pixel art may be scarce.

If the sprites are too small for you to see, you can always copy them to paint and zoom in.

Newest stuff will be posted at the top, while older stuff will be at the bottom.

================================================== ======
    Bugirl Drawing
    I think I may be proud of this, but I'm not too sure. I don't really draw that often.

The arms bug me a bit.

Bugirl Sprites
    Bugirl is a silly little OC of mine I created a couple of weeks ago. I was originally spriting it to see how good I would do spriting something from complete scratch. I became fascinated and attached to the character, so I started doing a lot more things with it.

It has been a longtime dream of mine to create my very own Indie game. If I were to ever do this, I would make Bugirl the protagonist.

Mr. Business Ghost Sprites
    Mr. Business Ghost is an OC(original character) of my best friend. I sprited this as a gift.

Kapus Mugshot
    Exactly what it says. I probably could have done a little better on the shading, but I had lots of fun doing this.

Kapus Sprites
    A bunch of (labeled!) spritework of Kapus, my persona on most sites I go to on the internet, (notably Youtube) based off of Cat Planet. I made the Earthbound styled sprites for an EB mod I was making. This stuff is fairly new.

I probably should have given the bigger sprites proper shading, heh.

Flare Mugshots
    Various mugshots of an old Kirby fancharacter I had, named Flare. These are really, really old, but I still think I did a pretty nice job.

Hope you weren't completely bored out of your mind from that!

I also have a DA account which I only just now started using, despite having it for years now.

http://kapus49.deviantart.com/
    Last edited by Kapus; April 17th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.

FEEL MY COIN-FILLED WRATH!!! 9kirby99's Avatar

Re: Kapus' Kanvas

Could you do mugshots and sprites of my avatar? Please include Jumping, Flying, and Various poses, please!

And vote for us, too! GO METACRATS!

I don't do requests. However, I was feeling nice enough to make a sprite.

Really, though. Kirby sprites are VERY easy to edit, so it shouldn't be very difficult to make all those sprites yourself.
    Feel free to use my sprite as a base.

Phonetics do wonders. Forum Moderator Eltrotraw's Avatar

This isn't that bad and you show quite a bit of promise with these sprites.

How long have you been doing pixel art, and have you looked into trying something like Game Maker to create one such indie game for yourself?

ALL SIGS MUST CONTAIN RAINBOW PUKE
    "Works" Thread || Youtube
    Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

I am flattered. Thank you for the compliment.

I have been spriting for years now. I actually didn't use to sprite very often. However, I eventually joined the "Cutstuff" community, where I started spriting many things for their MM8BDM projects. Since then, I have fallen in love with spriting completely. I rarely draw any actual pixel art, though.

As for an indie game,
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapus View Post
    It has been a longtime dream of mine to create my very own Indie game. If I were to ever do this, I would make Bugirl the protagonist.
    I have actually advanced with this a bit. Just a couple of days ago I downloaded a game creator engine called "Construct." It is surprisingly neat and efficient, and I have, more or less, started work on my very own platformer.

Considering I'm using a downloadable game making program to create this, whether or not this can be considered "indie" is up for debate.

I am flattered. Thank you for the compliment.

I have been spriting for years now. I actually didn't use to sprite very often. However, I eventually joined the "Cutstuff" community, where I started spriting many things for their MM8BDM projects. Since then, I have fallen in love with spriting completely. I rarely draw any actual pixel art, though.
    To me, pixel art and spriting are one in the same. If you can do one, you can do the other.

It's just a practiced art, anyway - as I see it.

Cutstuff would explain the Megaman feel I detected from the sprites to begin with as well...

As for an indie game,

I have actually advanced with this a bit. Just a couple of days ago I downloaded a game creator engine called "Construct." It is surprisingly neat and efficient, and I have, more or less, started work on my very own platformer.

Considering I'm using a downloadable game making program to create this, whether or not this can be considered "indie" is up for debate.
    No, Construct's a good alternative to my suggestion of Game Maker. If you can create a standalone version of the game and have it uploaded somewhere, then I would say you can call it indie.

Unless Flash games and other sorts of things aren't considered indie nowadays. I'd say they are.

Check out FIREWORKS!, SKIPLOOM ADVENTURES, and CARTER'S MISADVENTURES, three webgames I've made through the Unity Game Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    Cutstuff would explain the Megaman feel I detected from the sprites to begin with
    Actually, to be completely honest, Bugirl debuted on Cutstuff. I originally sprited her to test my sprite-from-scratch skills. When I was done, I turned her into a downloadable skin for MM8BDM. Since I planned to put her in MM8BDM, I wanted to give her a Mega Man-ish appearance.

Now that she's developed into a more standalone character, I attempted gave her a more original look. I hope I didn't fail completely; I really like her current sprite design.
    I did a comparision of the various sprite styles for her here: http://kapus49.deviantart.com/#/d3k8qpp

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrotraw View Post
    No, Construct's a good alternative to my suggestion of Game Maker. If you can create a standalone version of the game and have it uploaded somewhere, then I would say you can call it indie.
    Glad to hear it. That'll boost my motivation.

Actually, to be completely honest, Bugirl debuted on Cutstuff. I originally sprited her to test my sprite-from-scratch skills. When I was done, I turned her into a downloadable skin for MM8BDM. Since I planned to put her in MM8BDM, I wanted to give her a Mega Man-ish appearance.

Now that she's developed into a more standalone character, I attempted gave her a more original look. I hope I didn't fail completely; I really like her current sprite design.
    I did a comparision of the various sprite styles for her here: http://kapus49.deviantart.com/#/d3k8qpp
    I'm just saying I can see some of a megaman-ish look to it, this shouldn't be a bad thing unless that's what you weren't aiming for. The big differences I can see there compared to the "megaman" version you've linked are the eyes and the shading(or lack thereof on the "megaman" version).

The sprite's fine for what you have planned, unless we need to get a directly close-up of the sprite. This shouldn't be necessary, though.

Glad to hear it. That'll boost my motivation.
    I'm more interested in what you have done for the game at the moment, but perhaps it's too early to ask.

I would think it's too early to ask, yes. I only started 2 days ago, so I'm still experimenting with the engine.

Updated with a drawing.

Oh yeah, I had an art topic on this forum. Two year bump! Good grief!

It's kind of funny to come back to this topic after two years and look at my old art. That drawing is so bad.. eugh..

Well, now that I'm here, I guess I should post something. Sprites, I guess!
    Here's a new spritesheet of that bug. The sheet contains a bunch of animations for the character. They animate downward, as indicated by the arrow.

All the animations have been compiled together in a couple of GIF files. You can see them in motion here!

~Graphically Minded~

Oh, I forgot I posted here.

Regardless! Does that mean we're seeing progress on that game you planned on making?

Aside from these sprites? ...No, not really.

I looked into using a game making program called Construct a while back, but the team behind the program was doing some revisions so I decided to leave it alone. I plan to learn Game Maker sometime in the future. Perhaps during the summer when I have a bit more free time.

Really, though, I'm just happy with the improvement I have made on my spritework right now. I actually seriously regret ever mentioning my game plans in this topic when I didn't have anything down other than a simple character design. Getting people anticipated over nothing...

I apologize.
    ~Graphically Minded~

I will say that the sprites have come a long way, but as long as you recognize your talents and limits in terms of creativity that's also a good discovery to make. Nothing shameful to note about realizing that - live and learn.

That said, I do like the progression of your spritework and would like to see more. It's certainly gone a long way from being simple megaman recolors and I can definitely see your own style sticking out from it moreso than it emulating others.

Ah...thanks. I'll post again when I make some new sprites.
    I still feel pretty bad...I was actually very reluctant to bump this when I read my first post. I was so embarrassed! Such is the nature of growing up, I suppose.

=========
    Sprites aside, I think I have also improved on my general artwork over the years. Not that I ever posted anything here other than that Bugirl drawing..
    This is the most recent thing I have drawn. It's just a sketch, but I like it. (I tend to like sketches more than full drawings)

This was made as a birthday present for one of my friends.
    ~Graphically Minded~

made of love Event Artist
    Forum Veteran

those sprites are excessively cute and round and much better than their initial thingies :o they actually look like they're from a game since they're rather fleshed out and like... not stiff? I don't know. Like how her cute little antennae bounce around in some of her animations and stuff, or in her fall animation you keep in mind that a dress would definitely be affected by that movement! etc

totes adorbs it'd be rad if you could use all those sprites for a game or something

(but games are like a hella large amount of work so definitely good luck with that process if you undertake it on your own!)

Thank you! I did design these sprites with a platforming game. I did my best to make the animations smooth and detailed!

Your words mean a lot to me!
    ~Graphically Minded~

These are fantastic! As a game developer, I'm very interested, and I gotta ask: How do you make sprites? What program do you use? Regardless, keep up the great work :D

I use mspaint. Zoom in to the maximum resolution and draw a base sprite, pixel by pixel. Then edit the base sprite into different forms for animations and poses.

Thanks, by the way!
    ~Graphically Minded~

I use mspaint. Zoom in to the maximum resolution and draw a base sprite, pixel by pixel. Then edit the base sprite into different forms for animations and poses.

Thanks, by the way!
    Ok, thank you for the advice! :D

Another birthday present for another friend, based on Super Mario Galaxy.

I'll have some more sprites for show soon!
    ~Graphically Minded~

Hey, you've got some great stuff here!

I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with your sprite work, particularly the recent Bugirl sheet-- very professional looking. I've always wondered how in-game sprites can so convincingly give the impression of shading and depth with such a small number of pixels, and what I see here exhibits those attributes well. The animations, too, look quite fluid, and are very charming about it.

Your other digital art matches up nicely too. Your Super Mario Galaxy picture is excessively cute, and has a nice glow that gives the scene a dreamy storybook feel, just like the pictures in the game.

Continue to let that talent of yours flower, and here's to hoping Bugirl has an adventure of some kind before too long!
    For those interested in Nintendo fan art, feel free to check out my art thread, The Overdue.

Gosh, thanks! I think my spritework is far from professional, but I do try! I'm glad you find my recent style charming. She probably won't be going on any adventures soon, but I will continue to make sprites!

Thank you for the compliments! I feel truly flattered.

================
    Just a quick doodle, nothing special. Anthropomorphic bee meets realistic(?) bee.

~Graphically Minded~

Running and skidding animations for Buggy.

~Graphically Minded~

You thought you were so clever... Forum Veteran Commodore Jim's Avatar

I'm really diggin' the bug girl sprites! Super cute!

Thread Information